PDA

View Full Version : Wes Flanigan to Auburn?

msugolf
03-18-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm hearing that there's a good chance Wes will take an asst job under Pearl.

chef dixon
03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
I get the feeling that no one would care if any of our basketball coaches change.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Makes a lot of sense. That is his alma mater.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I get the feeling that no one would care if any of our basketball coaches change.

Especially SS & Keenum

mic
03-18-2014, 02:21 PM

That would be the worse news for our staff... Great young recruiter and will have a head gig sooner than later..

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
we don't care about basketball anymore. it's a stupid sport anyway. Naismith was insane.

gtowndawg
03-18-2014, 02:43 PM
But we nuked our program and if I was Wes I'd be looking to go somewhere too. Somewhere that apparently takes it series and gives a good opportunity to learn, develop and move up.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 02:47 PM
But we nuked our program and if I was Wes I'd be looking to go somewhere too. Somewhere that apparently takes it series and gives a good opportunity to learn, develop and move up.

You would learn a hell of a lot more under Pearl then Ray. That is an easy decision. Probably will double his salery going to Auburn as well.

Brad Stevens
03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Gotta make room for Horatio on our staff... **

C222
03-18-2014, 03:03 PM

That definitely needs to happen.

I hope we don't lose Wes. He's a good recruiter.

msstate7
03-18-2014, 03:07 PM

Know you're joking, but would we even consider this with Newman in the balance?

C222
03-18-2014, 03:07 PM

I know he was joking. I'm not. We need to do that. That happens all the time in college basketball. My guess is that it won't happen.

ETA: I take that back. Hiring someone's dad probably never happens. It's mostly that player's coach, but I would still do it.

msstate7
03-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I know he was joking. I'm not. We need to do that. That happens all the time in college basketball. My guess is that it won't happen.

Id do it too. Landing Newman would have as much or more good impact on our program as any assistant coach IMO. If we get Newman, we're instantly in the game for other good recruits. Plus Webster is one of ours.

Johnson85
03-18-2014, 03:19 PM

ETA: I take that back. Hiring someone's dad probably never happens. It's mostly that player's coach, but I would still do it.

Pretty sure Callipari hired the father of dejaun wagner at Memphis.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:20 PM

Best idea you've ever had. Bet he could recruit the hell out of MS and especially Jackson. Horatio being hired was brought up a year ago though so don't let it go to your melon Bradley.

C222
03-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure Callipari hired the father of dejaun wagner at Memphis.

That's what I was thinking but i thought he was a coach too.

Bully13
03-18-2014, 03:25 PM

Gold

Homedawg
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Danny manning says hello tks Larry brown. Won't be the first time it happened.

HailState39110
03-18-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm hearing that there's a good chance Wes will take an asst job under Pearl

Wonder if IJ Ready would transfer to Auburn too since that is Flanigan's nephew ?

preachermatt83
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
could we pay him to take Ray too?

CadaverDawg
03-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Can we hire Rick Ray to fill Wes's spot?*

morequalifiedforthatposition

smootness
03-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Will this board, or any State board, ever be able to have a legitimate basketball discussion again?

msstate7
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Will this board, or any State board, ever be able to have a legitimate basketball discussion again?

So if WF did leave, you'd be opposed to getting Webster even though it would guarantee Newman?

smootness
03-18-2014, 10:02 PM
So if WF did leave, you'd be opposed to getting Webster even though it would guarantee Newman?

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Webster if we think he can actually be an asset as a coach/recruiter. That decision will be for Ray if Flanigan leaves.

My issue is with every single basketball topic just turning into the incessant bashing of our head coach, a guy who didn't create the mess he inherited. It's ridiculous.

msstate7
03-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Webster if we think he can actually be an asset as a coach/recruiter. That decision will be for Ray if Flanigan leaves.

My issue is with every single basketball topic just turning into the incessant bashing of our head coach, a guy who didn't create the mess he inherited. It's ridiculous.

Gotcha. I agree

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Can we hire Rick Ray to fill Wes's spot?*

morequalifiedforthatposition

http://quizzicalllama.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tennantlaughinghysterical.gif

WinningIsRelentless
03-19-2014, 07:48 AM

But who hasn't done anything to remotely fix it? And he did kinda create the mess when he didn't have a full roster this year.

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 08:05 AM

If he brings newman, that will be all the work he needs to do to justify the hire.

shannondawg
03-19-2014, 08:14 AM
I have a whole new perspective on football and baseball now. Hoops is now coming in dead last, and it use to be first.

Yossarian
03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
LSU hired Maravich's father as head coach. Worked for them.

msstate7
03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Newman should be priority #1. If it takes hiring his father, we should. If there is a player that can turn our program around, it's Newman. All of the sudden, the hump would be filling up and we get instant credibility with some high profile recruits.

smootness
03-19-2014, 09:05 AM
But who hasn't done anything to remotely fix it? And he did kinda create the mess when he didn't have a full roster this year.

Hasn't done anything to fix it? This is where I just lose understanding of those who are criticizing Ray. What does it mean? Of course he's in the process of fixing it. First, he got rid of the attitude problems and went about changing the attitude of the program. No one can argue the same 'anything goes, inmates run the asylum' attitude is hovering around the program.

Second, he is building for the long-term. He is recruiting players and trying to coach them up. We have a solid core of young talent that can be built around, but we do have to be patient with them. And when I say he's building for the long-term, that means that if he really likes a player, like Daniels or Ndoye, he obviously feels it was in our best interest to get them even if it meant they weren't going to play last year instead of getting someone else.

Time will tell on that, but he didn't 'create' this mess. He inherited an awful situation, and he's trying to dig us out. But cutting corners for a couple extra wins in year 2 isn't ultimately a good way to completely dig us out.

This full roster thing is ridiculous.