PDA

View Full Version : How bad has SEC basketball been?

Coach34
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Other than Florida and Kentucky, the only other Sweet 16 or better appearances the last 8 years (counting this year):

Tennessee 2010
Tennessee 2008
Tenn and Vandy 2007

That is God-awful for a major conference. Basketball in the South just sux and it's not getting better anytime soon

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
So...what's your point? Be ok with being bad because everyone else is bad?

mstatefan91
03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I think his point is that it is God-awful and that something needs to change. lol

Pollodawg
03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
It's basketball. I am still shocked people give a shit. We are good at football again. We don't need any other sport to hang our hat on except maybe baseball like we did in years past**

And I am only partially kidding.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
I mean yeah...football matters the most but I would hope that everyone wants the school to be good at all sports.

ckDOG
03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Other than Florida and Kentucky, the only other Sweet 16 or better appearances the last 8 years (counting this year):

Tennessee 2010
Tennessee 2008
Tenn and Vandy 2007

That is God-awful for a major conference. Basketball in the South just sux and it's not getting better anytime soon

Let's either a) sell out to athleticism and find the fastest most physical players possible and put up as many shots and drives as possible per game with 100% press or b) throw money at a decent coach with connections to a good basketball state and see if he can win with their leftovers. Trying something in between with the souths best talent doesn't seem to work for many folks.

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
So how bad does that make us?

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
My point is that basketball in the Deep South is dying a slow death to football and baseball. No more good white kids playing hoops anymore. Alot of your skilled players 6'2-6'6 are now playing TE, DE, and WR.

Basketball has transitioned from teams being coached and running offenses and plays to athletes dribbling around creating their own shots. And there aren't enough of those guys to go around that can do that.

We see more zone now than ever in college-why? Because passing and shooting skills have fallen off. It's just ugly as shit to watch no matter who is playing.

Pollodawg
03-18-2014, 12:29 PM
I mean yeah...football matters the most but I would hope that everyone wants the school to be good at all sports.

Like I said, it was primarily a joke since I am not a big basketball fan.

maroonmania
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Embarrassing that this year the SEC got 2 teams legitimately into the NCAA tournament with another basically being in a play in game.