Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
The SEC just got better....

TheRef
03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
It's official per Brandon Marcello.

Brandon Marcello
@bmarcello
Auburn hires @coachbrucepearl on his 54th birthday.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
shit. One of the shittiest in the SEC gets a winner

Jacksondevildog
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Well, our job just got more difficult. This is a program that we could expect to compete with and get wins at the current stage of our program. This will make Alabama get more serious as well.

engie
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm totally shocked that he took this job....

Looks like I was wrong about that one...

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 10:16 AM

And we ended up with a no name with a more attractive job. I wish we had hired Joe Dean Jr when we had the chance after the Ninja left. Instead, we ended up with Loafers. Oh well...

codeDawg
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
That's how you don't f-up a hire.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
So a program that hasn't made the tourney in over a decade hires Pearl and we get an assistant coach from Clemson. Good one Stricklin.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Not only that but check this out. Two shit basketball schools do this with their position.

USC - Frank Martin
Auburn - Bruce Pearl

Looks like we will be the bottom feeder for a while fellas.

TheRef
03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Oh ffs, people. Just suck it up and deal with the fact that we are going to have Rick Ray. Plus he had a 2-year show-cause so there was no way in HELL that we were going to get Bruce Pearl when we needed a new coach so get off the soapbox already.

Thick
03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Engie, why would he not take it? Brand new facility to recruit with plus plenty of money backing him. Give him 2 years, and AU will be relative in SEC, and making waves nationally. Great hire for AU!!

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
He will making 2+ million per I'm sure

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Looks like we will be the bottom feeder for a while fellas.

why?

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 10:21 AM
It's the truth not a soap box. We had no business making a no name hire when we did. Jacobs had less to sell and got 1000x the coach.

HailState39110
03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks Scott!

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Because the teams we were fighting for the bottom with have much better coaches then us and will recruit better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

engie
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Engie, why would he not take it? Brand new facility to recruit with plus plenty of money backing him. Give him 2 years, and AU will be relative in SEC, and making waves nationally. Great hire for AU!!

Because patience would have lended itself to him having much better options.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Jacobs had less to sell and got 1000x the coach.

Thats not true

Auburn has a new arena
Auburn has way more money
Auburn has a better recruiting base
Auburn is not in Mississippi and fairly close to Atlanta

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Because the teams we were fighting for the bottom with have much better coaches then us and will recruit better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

There is not much difference in the middle of the SEC and the bottom. We will be just fine

TexasDawg
03-18-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm just happy I get to see the orange blazer again

engie
He's got to win big in years 1 and 2 -- or he's a dumpster fire hire too according to many here. Just like Frank Martin has knocked it out the park... Oh -- wait**

Time will tell just how good Pearl is. It ain't nearly as easy to win at Auburn in hoops as it is to win on Rocky Top.

Raytoraid83
Gonna be sad when auburn has a better atmosphere than us. #PayMalik

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
He's got to win big in years 1 and 2 -- or he's a dumpster fire hire too according to many here. Just like Frank Martin has knocked it out the park... Oh -- wait**

Time will tell just how good Pearl is. It ain't nearly as easy to win at Auburn in hoops as it is to win on Rocky Top.

Don't look now Engie but South Carolina is gonna be good next year. That's what happens when you sign the top player out of Oak Hill.

TheRef
It's the truth not a soap box. We had no business making a no name hire when we did. Jacobs had less to sell and got 1000x the coach.

I'm just sick of every basketball thread in the world turning into a pissing match over who would've been a better hire for us. It gets slightly annoying after the 20th thread that gets hijacked by people saying that Ray should be fired and we should hire so-and-so because they're soooo much better. Am I pissed off about our situation? Yeah. It's frustrating to watch this team. But I understand that Ray won't be gone until AT LEAST next year so I don't even bother thinking about who we should've hired, could've hired, should hire. But obviously some people can't deal with that and have to argue about how we need to fire him now. Trust me, I want to get back to the days where the Hump was packed and rocking for every single game. I remember those days and I wish we could have those back. But I'm willing to go through the rough times in order for us to be better in the long run. We should all understand that we had a bad reputation around the nation at the time when we were in the hiring process. That's why we had to make a relatively no-name hire. I'm usually one of the most positive people in terms of basketball and our basketball situations. But I understood that we were a shitstorm when we fired Stansbury and hired Ray. I went into the situation KNOWING that we would take multiple years to be competitive again. /rant

HailState39110
They already have a better atmosphere. Have you been to a game at The hump the past 2 years?

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 10:29 AM
They already have a better atmosphere. Have you been to a game at The hump the past 2 years?

Good point

engie
03-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Don't look now Engie but South Carolina is gonna be good next year. That's what happens when you sign the top player out of Oak Hill.

He was already there this year. So what happened? I was told, in basketball, you were always just one player away?

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Let's see how many big time recruits will be signed by Pearl this year and next at Auburn. And I would put money on it that the players he recruits and signs will PLAY the next basketball season for him.

NorthMsDawg
03-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Was Pearl's Show Clause up when we hired Ray?

quickstrike2
03-18-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't mind Ray, and I am anxious to see what he does in year 3. However, Ray is not going to win many initial arguments on hiring comparisons. Ray was an unheard of assistant unless you were in the coaching circles, anybody with head coaching experience combined with being a winner elsewhere is going to be thought more highly of. That's not saying down the road Ray's not going to be a better hire, but initially he is not going to win the argument.

TheRef
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM

His Show-clause was in effect throughout the hiring process.

Thick
03-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Because patience would have lended itself to him having much better options.

I see your point, but I think he will really open some eyes if he can be successful and sustain it. It's a great place to rebuild your name/reputation.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, he might use it as a place to spring board to a better job when he is successful.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Let's see how many big time recruits will be signed by Pearl this year and next at Auburn. And I would put money on it that the players he recruits and signs will PLAY the next basketball season for him.

Pearl inherited 2 All-SEC players at Tennessee plus a good recruiting class. He wont have that luxury at Auburn.

He'll do a good job, I have no doubts. But he wont get off to quite the same start at Auburn.

West Houston Dog
03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Basketball door mat every year now???.

Damn, we didnt we talk to Pearl about any interest and our possibly ditching coach ??
I saw about 5 games this year and every time, except the Vandy game in the SEC tourney, all i could think was "UGH we are just awful"(and how bad must Vandy be to lose to us last week?). The couple of games that were at MSU, the stadium crowd was sparse and quiet. Kinda reminds me of Bulldog basketball back in the early 80's where we just stunk. I fear next year there may be as many people on the floor as there will be in our stands.

Oh well, never thought i, who wanted Stans gone, would be longing for him to be back. Guess we just have to sit back and endure this again next year.......maybe we will get back to a level where we are at least competent.....

dawgs
03-18-2014, 10:44 AM
no power program was going to hire pearl coming off a show-cause. most people thought bama might be the landing spot, but they surprised everyone and kept grant. bama-level might be the best pearl could have hoped for, and i don't think auburn is all that far off. i mean, they have the $$, a brand new arena, and could easily be the 3rd best program in the conference in a hurry.

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Pearl inherited 2 All-SEC players at Tennessee plus a good recruiting class. He wont have that luxury at Auburn.

He'll do a good job, I have no doubts. But he wont get off to quite the same start at Auburn.

Oh I agree with that. I'm too lazy to look but how many players does Auburn have signed and how many scholarships do they have available. I bet he brings in some good players even this late in the game for next season and then in year 2 with a full year to recruit, he will sign some big time talent.

Johnson85
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
So a program that hasn't made the tourney in over a decade hires Pearl and we get an assistant coach from Clemson. Good one Stricklin.

Had there been a name coach just coming off a show-cause when we were hiring, we likely would have been willing to make the hire and the coach would have likely been willing to take over the dumpster fire. Sometimes it's just about being lucky with who is available when your team tanks.

nsvltndog
03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Auburn hiring Bruce Pearl is the basketball equivalent of MSU hiring Jackie Sherrill.

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 10:58 AM
OK, so Pearl's show clause is still in effect. He can't have interaction with recruits until this August!?! He can evaluate but have no contact with them at all. That may put a little damper on the recruiting for him year 1.

chef dixon
03-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Not really sure how good a fit this is. You have to at least be excited as an Auburn fan because it couldn't be much worse. Wouldn't be surprised if its a lot like Frank Martin at South Carolina. So far he's not looking great and to say that South Carolina will be good next year is a huge stretch.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Well shit!! I wanted Pearl. He'll end up getting in trouble again though. In 10 years after like multiple elite 8s and having Auburn on the bubble or better in every single season after his first one. He made a lifetime enemy with some dude in the NCAA back when Pearl was at Iowa as an assistant and turned in Illinois on violations. Boys we have allowed Scott Stricklin and Mark Keenum to turn our basketball program into Poor Ol Little Miss State. Y'all can quit with the Malik Newman shit too. He ain't coming here. Auburn might get him now. They ain't afraid to spend money like Poor Ol Little Miss State is.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 11:03 AM
There is not much difference in the middle of the SEC and the bottom. We will be just fine

Just not in basketball..

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-18-2014, 11:05 AM
why?

Because our team will not be as good as most teams in the league.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Not really sure how good a fit this is. You have to at least be excited as an Auburn fan because it couldn't be much worse. Wouldn't be surprised if its a lot like Frank Martin at South Carolina. So far he's not looking great and to say that South Carolina will be good next year is a huge stretch.

Frank Martin ain't no Bruce Pearl. That psycho did still beat Kentucky and get two wins in the SEC tournament though.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
OK, so Pearl's show clause is still in effect. He can't have interaction with recruits until this August!?! He can evaluate but have no contact with them at all. That may put a little damper on the recruiting for him year 1.

His assistants can recruit

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 11:15 AM

At least they have something to gain some positive momentum on. A top recruit and a signature win over Kentucky. What does Rick Ray have that should make us excited for next year? Finally having a full roster his third year on the job? Travis Daniels? Beating a 7 scholarship Vandy team in the SEC tournament to end a 13 game losing streak?

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 11:19 AM
At least they have something to gain some positive momentum on. A top recruit and a signature win over Kentucky. What does Rick Ray have that should make us excited for next year? Finally having a full roster his third year on the job? Travis Daniels? Beating a 7 scholarship Vandy team in the SEC tournament to end a 13 game losing streak?

No way Ray will have a full roster starting his third season. No way.

NCDawg
03-18-2014, 11:22 AM
And we ended up with a no name with a more attractive job. I wish we had hired Joe Dean Jr when we had the chance after the Ninja left. Instead, we ended up with Loafers. Oh well...

We ended up with Loafers because he had the inside track with Dr. Keenum because of his father-in-law.

dawgs
03-18-2014, 11:24 AM

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130321045439/arresteddevelopment/images/c/cc/3x05_Mr._F_(30).png

maroonmania
03-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Well we know Auburn has NO trouble with NOT doing things the right way so I am not surprised at all they hired him. Our milk toast admin wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole.

C222
03-18-2014, 11:29 AM

He sure as hell doesn't have support from most of you and never did have it.

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Well we know Auburn has NO trouble with NOT doing things the right way so I am not surprised at all they hired him. Our milk toast admin wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole.

If Stricklin told Pearl he could have the job but we won't be getting involved in the AAU program he would've laughed in his face.

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 11:33 AM

Haha ok. I went to almost every home SEC game this year. Sorry I try to be realistic when looking at the situation we are in.

dawgs
03-18-2014, 11:37 AM

i posted many times last year that ray got as much out of that roster as we could have expected. i honestly don't think coach K would have won more than 1 or 2 more games last season. however when 2 of our 3 signees don't clear and we are desperate for players, that's a huge red flag. then we come out with an embarassingly bad non-conference schedule and arguably got worse, even though the overall record improved. i'm looking at the incoming recruits, and i'm not seeing anything to get excited over. just because i don't put on blinders doesn't mean i don't support him. i hope i'm wrong.

MadDawg
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM

It won't be hard for Ray to win the support of the majority of the fans. It's all on him. He just has to show the fans something to be optomistic about. I thought he was on his way when we beat ole miss and started 3-2 in the league. But he couldn't capitalize on his good start.

No different than what I said toward the end of Stansbury's tenure. He was losing the fans (even though he never lost their support) and it was all on him. He was the only one that could change the direction he and the program were going. And in the end, he didn't do enough.

It's Ray's turn now. Can he do it? I don't know, but I sure as hell hope so. You think this has been a difficult 2-year stretch for MSU basketball? If Ray doesn't work out, it might turn into 5, 6 maybe even 7 years or more of abysmal basketball.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM

We ain't putting our heads in the sand and letting Stricklin & Keenum turn back the clock on MSU to 1984. This shit is ridiculous.

DawgInMemphis
03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
His Show-clause was in effect throughout the hiring process.

His show cause doesn't end until some time this fall. He won't be able to recruit until then.

RougeDawg
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Ok for you Ray apologists and haters. There's one reason this hire isn't good for us. You have a University who's willing to and blatantly play the game in the face of the NCAA hiring a coach who is also willing to play the game. This does not bode well for our prospects of beating them anytime soon, unless Ray can find at least a couple diamonds in the rough.

TrueMaroon
03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

The point is that SC and Auburn, who were well behind Mississippi State in pecking order of the SEC two years ago, were able to go and hire Pearl with an Elite 8, two Sweet 16's, and a SEC Championship, and Frank Martin, who has been to an Elite 8 and brought Kansas State out of the ashes in the shadows of Kansas-a top 3 program.

They are great coaches with LEGITIMATE resumes. Trying to compare Rick Ray's resume to Martin's and Pearl's resumes is like comparing two Neurosurgeons to a freaking Nurse's assistant.

Auburn and SC lured SUCCESSFUL coaches to their programs. What did we do? We hired a nobody.

C222
03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Ok for you Ray apologists and haters. There's one reason this hire isn't good for us. You have a University who's willing to and blatantly play the game in the face of the NCAA hiring a coach who is also willing to play the game. This does not bode well for our prospects of beating them anytime soon, unless Ray can find at least a couple diamonds in the rough.

I agree with this. Pearl is a homerun hire.

HailState39110
03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
The point is that SC and Auburn, who were well behind Mississippi State in pecking order of the SEC two years ago, were able to go and hire Pearl with an Elite 8, two Sweet 16's, and a SEC Championship, and Frank Martin, who has been to an Elite 8 and brought Kansas State out of the ashes in the shadows of Kansas-a top 3 program.

They are great coaches with LEGITIMATE resumes. Trying to compare Rick Ray's resume to Martin's and Pearl's resumes is like comparing two Neurosurgeons to a freaking Nurse's assistant.

Auburn and SC lured SUCCESSFUL coaches to their programs. What did we do? We hired a nobody.

Great points and if you can't tell Martin is VERY close to turning it around at SC . They only lose 1 player off their roster this year

Johnson85
03-18-2014, 12:10 PM

They were well behind Mississippi State in the pecking order, but we were asking a coach to come into a worse situation. And if Pearl were not still under NCAA scrutiny, Auburn's hire would look a lot worse.

We may have screwed up royally with the coaching search and hire, but it's not really fair to point to the Auburn hire unless there was a proven coach I'm not aware of that was months away from coming off a show-cause when we were looking.

bulldawg28
03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Kids will want to play for Pearl recruiting won't be hard for him. Auburn wins all the way around with this hire.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Stricklin & Keenum turning back the clocks to 1984. Don't wanna spend any money while they building a new foosball stadium.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:17 PM
They were well behind Mississippi State in the pecking order, but we were asking a coach to come into a worse situation. And if Pearl were not still under NCAA scrutiny, Auburn's hire would look a lot worse.

We may have screwed up royally with the coaching search and hire, but it's not really fair to point to the Auburn hire unless there was a proven coach I'm not aware of that was months away from coming off a show-cause when we were looking.

We could of just hired Bruce Pearl a month ago. Like I said fifty times. Keep not listening though. Guess we need our heads fully ripped off our bodies before we realize we are getting slaughtered.

C222
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
We could of just hired Bruce Pearl a month ago. Like I said fifty times. Keep not listening though. Guess we need our heads fully ripped off our bodies before we realize we are getting slaughtered.

So we couldn't get Steve Prohm, Bryce Drew, or even Rob Jeter, but Bruce Pearl would have said yes?

TheRef
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM

You seriously believe that Bracky would have signed off on us hiring Pearl? Bahahahaha. Bracky would've killed it at inception.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:28 PM
So we couldn't get Steve Prohm, Bryce Drew, or even Rob Jeter, but Bruce Pearl would have said yes?

Yea a month ago broham not two years ago. Try to keep up.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:29 PM
You seriously believe that Bracky would have signed off on us hiring Pearl? Bahahahaha. Bracky would've killed it at inception.

THATS THE PROBLEM!! Keenum, Stricklin, Bracky the whole lot of them are still sitting in 1984.

C222
03-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Yeah, because so much has changed from two years ago.

dawgs
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM

we couldn't get them because stricklin ****ed up the hiring search, not because we were such a terrible program they turned us down. stricklin ****ed it up, plain and simple. i hope to god he's learned from his mistakes in that coaching search and won't make them again next time.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:44 PM

You can bet Jacobs and Pearl were talking at least a month ago. He didnt call him up the other day and they worked it out this quick.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
we couldn't get them because stricklin ****ed up the hiring search, not because we were such a terrible program they turned us down. stricklin ****ed it up, plain and simple. i hope to god he's learned from his mistakes in that coaching search and won't make them again next time.

I'll say this and always wondered- since we were having the problems we were in luring a coach because of the situation- why did we not step up and throw some money out there? Money talks and if it means paying 2.2 or so for the right guy then you do it.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:52 PM
You can bet Jacobs and Pearl were talking at least a month ago. He didnt call him up the other day and they worked it out this quick.

So it's cool for Auburn's AD to be kicking the shit out of SS? Just clarifying what our expectations are for our Athletic Director. Is SS job to turn our basketball program into the 1984 church league team with less fans? He's succeeded. But all is well cause we just put up dis fancy sign dat lights up all night long on da foosball stadium.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 12:53 PM
The dire situation that keeps get mentioned , wasn't near as dire, until after Rick Ray came on to the scene, lost recruits, ran off or lost players...We had the making of a fairly good team, if everything had stayed in place. Certainly not the cluster **** we got now.......

TexasDawg
I'll say this and always wondered- since we were having the problems we were in luring a coach because of the situation- why did we not step up and throw some money out there? Money talks and if it means paying 2.2 or so for the right guy then you do it.

If Ray doesn't work out and with the extra revenue we will be receiving from the SEC Network, there is no reason we shouldn't throw out big time money for a proven coach.

HailState39110

Completely agree with this. Guys like White and Tyndall are making 500k in conference USA. They would walk to Starkville for 2M

There are a few small schools shedding out big bucks for coaches ( VCU, Wichita St) but a lot of them are not. Jacobs can obviously sell himself and the program. Stricklin obviously cannot. I'm gonna shit a brick if Scott ever has to hire a football coach

engie
03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
The dire situation that keeps get mentioned , wasn't near as dire, until after Rick Ray came on to the scene, lost recruits, ran off or lost players...We had the making of a fairly good team, if everything had stayed in place. Certainly not the cluster **** we got now.......

LOL. "Makings of a fairly good team" = 1 returning starter(who was most likely leaving anyway) -- and one bench player that got meaningful minutes. Yeah -- that was the "makings of a good team"...

Good to know you support drug abuse and lack of player accountability though... It makes the rest of your stance quite clear...

Coach34
03-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Ray was brought in to clean up the mess- it was known before time he was going to run off a few because of the drug problems. This was a surprise to nobody

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Coach is correct that we should have baited the trap with more money for a coach. It doesn't take a genius to figure that with the lost revenue yhsy we will be getting from lost seat purchases next year, its already going to be costing us what it would have cost to get a good proven coach and we still got Ray.

TrueMaroon
03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Nobody supports drug use. Nobody said our new coach wasn't going to have a rough time. The problem is that the two worst basketball teams in the conference were able to go out and hire proven, SUCCESSFUL, name coaches. Coaches who have made deep runs into the tournament. Our inept athletic department could not. That's not too hard to understand.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 01:14 PM
LOL. "Makings of a fairly good team" = 1 returning starter(who was most likely leaving anyway) -- and one bench player that got meaningful minutes. Yeah -- that was the "makings of a good team"...

Good to know you support drug abuse and lack of player accountability though... It makes the rest of your stance quite clear...

I wanted Stans gone like the rest but no way he loses all of Moultrie, Hood, Sidney, Kristers, S. Smith, Lewis, Steele, Gray, D. Smith, Applewhite and doesn't get Daniels, Denson, Ndoye able to play like Brick Ray hasn't been able to. That's an entire basketball team. 13 players that at one point were either on the basketball team, signed or committed since Ray took over that have left. Is it fair to put all those on Ray? Of course not but what happens if Stricklin hires someone like Bruce Pearl two years ago. Do 13 players leave or no longer sign up for MSU basketball when he gets hired? **** no. Brick Ray is in over his head. He's competing directly against John Calipari, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Mike Anderson, and even Frank Martin. Scott Stricklin can pack his bags.

C222
03-18-2014, 01:15 PM

That I don't know. That's probably what everyone is referring when they say Scott botched the hire. I guess he wasn't willing to pay that kind of money. All I know, and it's just what someone told me, is that we were told no by alot of people. Some even more than once (Prohm).

smootness
03-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Great points and if you can't tell Martin is VERY close to turning it around at SC . They only lose 1 player off their roster this year

You mean same as us? But I keep hearing that our players clearly won't ever be good enough because they weren't good enough this year. Apparently, though, SC will improve just by returning the players that led to their bad record while we will continue to be just as bad. Good to know!

HailState39110
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
You also left Johnny Jones off that list who is a Dale Brown disciple . LSU has already committed to going back to the 'Dale Brown' way of doing things. Ray has an uphill battle for sure

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Ray was brought in to clean up the mess- it was known before time he was going to run off a few because of the drug problems. This was a surprise to nobody

Ok he gutted the program. Fine. Best to bring on a guy that can compete against Calipari, Donovan, Pearl, Martin and Anderson now so he can build his roster full with his players then wait 2 years and the next new guy has to gut it out again. Do I feel bad for Rick Ray? Not even slightly. He just made more money in the last two years than he would of made as an assistant at Clemson in ten years. He's got over 2 MILLION from MSU. Auburn just hired BRUCE PEARL. End this ****ing disaster hire RIGHT NOW!!!!

smootness
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
I wanted Stans gone like the rest but no way he loses all of Moultrie, Hood, Sidney, Kristers, S. Smith, Lewis, Steele, Gray, D. Smith, Applewhite and doesn't get Daniels, Denson, Ndoye able to play like Brick Ray hasn't been able to. That's an entire basketball team. 13 players that at one point were either on the basketball team, signed or committed since Ray took over that have left.

Moultrie was gone no matter what. Sidney was gone, and nobody wanted him back anyway. Hood was clearly gone - it doesn't take much to see that was going to happen. Continuing to act as though Ray botched something because he left is absurd. Applewhite would not be here, so not sure why his name was mentioned - Ray is the one that brought him in. Same with Daniels, Denson, and Ndoye - they were all Ray recruits, and we'll have Daniels and Ndoye next year.

And keeping guys like Zeidaks, Steele, Gray, Smith, and Lewis is exactly why our program had begun to trend downward to begin with. But you're telling me a team of those guys right there would be a success just because Stans was the coach? Please.

what happens if Stricklin hires someone like Bruce Pearl two years ago. Do 13 players leave or no longer sign up for MSU basketball when he gets hired?

Name me the big-name guys who were in such miserable position with the NCAA that they had no better options than a place like Auburn who were available two years ago. You say 'someone like Bruce Pearl', so tell me who was available we could have gotten - or do you just mean someone who still had a show-cause for 5 more months? Because I guarantee you people like you would be whining about that as soon as they saw what his initial recruiting looked like. After all, the number one goal of any coach is to have 13 guys on the bench at any point in time.

thunderclap
03-18-2014, 01:27 PM
This thread has record length potential.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
That I don't know. That's probably what everyone is referring when they say Scott botched the hire. I guess he wasn't willing to pay that kind of money. All I know, and it's just what someone told me, is that we were told no by alot of people. Some even more than once (Prohm).

It's funny sometimes what new money does to some people. Some spend like crazy. Others (MSU) tighten their assholes and save it for another day. We've got plenty of money to pay for a great basketball coach. Can we not multitask at MSU at all? "Don't spend ANY money while we are finishing the football stadium". Guess what's next? A new baseball stadium. So Stricklin's tight ass isn't going to spend shit on basketball till the new baseball stadium is done. Yay we are guaranteed to suck monster balls for 5 more years. Engie I bet we ain't pulling in $6 million in basketball now.

fishwater99
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Pearl can not have contact with a recruit until August 2014, I do believe.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Pearl can not have contact with a recruit until August 2014, I do believe.

August 23rd he can start having direct contact.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 01:46 PM
I wanted Stans gone like the rest but no way he loses all of Moultrie, Hood, Sidney, Kristers, S. Smith, Lewis, Steele, Gray, D. Smith, Applewhite and doesn't get Daniels, Denson, Ndoye able to play like Brick Ray hasn't been able to. That's an entire basketball team. 13 players that at one point were either on the basketball team, signed or committed since Ray took over that have left. Is it fair to put all those on Ray? Of course not but what happens if Stricklin hires someone like Bruce Pearl two years ago. Do 13 players leave or no longer sign up for MSU basketball when he gets hired? **** no. Brick Ray is in over his head. He's competing directly against John Calipari, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Mike Anderson, and even Frank Martin. Scott Stricklin can pack his bags.

moultrie went 1st round
Smith and Sidney were told to leave- they didnt have a place here anymore. That came from the AD office
We've argued Hood to death
Steele was coming off an injury

Zedakis couldn't even cut it at Grand Valley ****ing State
Shaun Smuth is changing oil somewhere
Wendell Lewis was a back-up player at best

Stands went 16-16 with an easy OOC, Jamont and Rhodes after losing everybody in 2006- and what was left wouldn't have been as good as 2006

chef dixon
03-18-2014, 01:57 PM
At least we will beat Auburn in football this year.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 02:09 PM

So you are saying he was the correct hire?

Coach34
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
All I know, and it's just what someone told me, is that we were told no by alot of people. Some even more than once (Prohm).

Yeah, I knew that. But I dont think alot of people turned down $2MM because it wasnt offered to them

Coach34
03-18-2014, 02:13 PM
So you are saying he was the correct hire?

No- I'm saying alot of what he has done was in his job description when he was hired

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 02:19 PM
No- I'm saying alot of what he has done was in his job description when he was hired

We can argue it til the cows come home, but the bottom line, is Scott Stricklin screwed up. The pitiful thing is he won't have to pay for it as long as Keenum is president.,. My understanding is they both go to the same Church and have the same mind set..

Coach34
03-18-2014, 02:24 PM
We can argue it til the cows come home, but the bottom line, is Scott Stricklin screwed up. .

I havent really seen anybody argue different. When we were having problems making a hire- we should have upped the ante

My biggest contention though is that Ray cant adequately be judged yet. He is on the clock now- it's time for him to, as Crooms said "be good or be gone". Ray needs to start winning games now- rebuilding and culture changing is over

TexasDawg
03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I havent really seen anybody argue different. When we were having problems making a hire- we should have upped the ante

My biggest contention though is that Ray cant adequately be judged yet. He is on the clock now- it's time for him to, as Crooms said "be good or be gone". Ray needs to start winning games now- rebuilding and culture changing is over

Do you still believe Ray gets a 4th year no matter what? Or do you want him gone if he shits the bed?

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Do you still believe Ray gets a 4th year no matter what? Or do you want him gone if he shits the bed?

My hope is that a hire of this magnitude puts pressure on the other SEC teams to get more serious about basketball. Stricklin needs to make a big splash if Ray falls flat on his face next season. Of course with the way the SEC is ruining coaching careers this may be Pearl's last gig.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 02:54 PM
I think Scott was only offering Prohm maybe 1.2-1.3 mil. That would be easy for anyone to turn down.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Dadblamit I agree, but just hate like shit that we are in this situation and that prudence tells us we have to wait for the conclusion that most of figure is going to happen. Only two people are to blame for the situation that we are in but its the fans that are paying for this.

Keenum"s and Stricklin"s mindset in keeping Bracky is telling to me as how they perceive our athletic dept should function.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
While at it, the Bruce Pearl hire might just jar people into realizing just how stupid Keenum and Stricklin were in the hiring of Ray. May be a ray of sunshine in that afterall, no pun intended,.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:10 PM
While at it, the Bruce Pearl hire might just jar people into realizing just how stupid Keenum and Stricklin were in the hiring of Ray. May be a ray of sunshine in that afterall, no pun intended,.

If three shit years in basketball awards us upgrades in four very high positions at MSU I can temper my disgust. We've got a better chance of landing Malik Newman than that actually happening though.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Everything I hear is he gets a 4th year unless we are some kind of terrible

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Everything I hear is he gets a 4th year unless we are some kind of terrible

We are some kind of terrible.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 03:24 PM
We are some kind of terrible.

but we wont be this bad again next year

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:33 PM
but we wont be this bad again next year

Ray is one transfer of a key player away from packing his bags. The fence swings both ways.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Ray is one transfer of a key player away from packing his bags. The fence swings both ways.

When you have worked as hard as these guys have and are paying a price- it makes it harder to walk away from and give up. We arent going to have a major player walk away now that the hardest part has passed

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:47 PM
When you have worked as hard as these guys have and are paying a price- it makes it harder to walk away from and give up. We arent going to have a major player walk away now that the hardest part has passed

Man I sure hope you're right on this one. You think losing Hood is hard.

HailState39110
03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Pretty cool. Jacobs tells media he wasn't gonna take NO for an answer from Pearl. Did you hear that SS & Keenum ?

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/watch_bruce_pearls_mosh_pit_wi.html

smootness
03-18-2014, 05:39 PM

Please. First, there wasn't even anyone out there like Pearl available when we were hiring. Second, Auburn right now is a more attractive situation than we were 2 years ago. That's just a fact.

Third, there aren't a whole lot of programs who would have hired Pearl. It's hilarious to me that Jacobs did it after he got completely self-righteous during the Cam stuff about how clean Auburn is; have fun selling that now. They have made the clear statement that right now wins matter more than anything else. There are a lot of programs who aren't run that way, and ours is one. You may not like that, but honestly I do. And you're going to have to either live with that or cheer for someone else.

The Bruce Pearl hiring is not an absolute homerun. It's only viewed that way on message boards. He now has serious baggage, and it is definitely a roll of the dice. He won't be able to do the same things he did before or else he won't be there long and Auburn's program will be decimated. They are obviously willing to take the risk because of where they've been for so long.

A coach who has had a show-cause prior is potentially radioactive. It's not as though once the show-cause is lifted, everything will be just like it was before for him.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Pretty cool. Jacobs tells media he wasn't gonna take NO for an answer from Pearl. Did you hear that SS & Keenum ?

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/watch_bruce_pearls_mosh_pit_wi.html

Wish I hadn't watched that video now. Those lucky ****s just hit a grand slam. That video made me sick.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Auburn right now is a more attractive situation than we were 2 years ago. That's just a fact.

Fact? Sounds like an opinion to me considering that before Brick Ray MSU owned Auburn in basketball AND had just recently beaten Bruce Pearl to win the SEC Tournament. It was/is very fresh in his mind that he walked off a loser to MSU in his last chance to win the SECT.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Please. First, there wasn't even anyone out there like Pearl available when we were hiring. Second, Auburn right now is a more attractive situation than we were 2 years ago. That's just a fact.

Third, there aren't a whole lot of programs who would have hired Pearl. It's hilarious to me that Jacobs did it after he got completely self-righteous during the Cam stuff about how clean Auburn is; have fun selling that now. They have made the clear statement that right now wins matter more than anything else. There are a lot of programs who aren't run that way, and ours is one. You may not like that, but honestly I do. And you're going to have to either live with that or cheer for someone else.

The Bruce Pearl hiring is not an absolute homerun. It's only viewed that way on message boards. He now has serious baggage, and it is definitely a roll of the dice. He won't be able to do the same things he did before or else he won't be there long and Auburn's program will be decimated. They are obviously willing to take the risk because of where they've been for so long.

A coach who has had a show-cause prior is potentially radioactive. It's not as though once the show-cause is lifted, everything will be just like it was before for him.

Wow, you must really have some seriously shaded maroon glasses on right now. This whole post is taking this defending Ray thing to a whole other level....

engie
03-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Wow, you must really have some seriously shaded maroon glasses on right now. This whole post is taking this defending Ray thing to a whole other level....

It's amazing to me that some of you manage to find your car....

Where in his post was he "defending Ray"?

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 06:29 PM
It's amazing to me that some of you manage to find your car....

Where in his post was he "defending Ray"?

You, C34, and Smootness are three that go the complete opposite way defending Ray of the detractors.

Basically, he was calling the Bruce Pearl hire at Auburn not a home run hire. He also basically stated in not so many words that Ray was our best option as coach in our search thus also defending Stricklin in one of the worst coaching search screw ups in MSU history. It will be interesting to see if you and C34 jump off the Ray band wagon when we have another shifty year next year.

engie
03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
You, C34, and Smootness are three that go the complete opposite way defending Ray of the detractors.

Basically, he was calling the Bruce Pearl hire at Auburn not a home run hire. He also basically stated in not so many words that Ray was our best option as coach in our search thus also defending Stricklin in one of the worst coaching search screw ups in MSU history. It will be interesting to see if you and C34 jump off the Ray band wagon when we have another shifty year next year.

So, the "Ray bandwagon" = "people with enough common sense to 'wait and see' after a coach has had a fair amount of time to create a turnaround."

Like I said the first time -- amazing that you find your car. You couldn't have botched ANY of our actual positions any worse.

I guess that's why it's redundant to argue with people that lack the common sense to understand stuff that has been clearly stated no fewer than 20 times by each of us.

MarketingBully01
03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Whatever, it is obvious you won't change my position and I won't change yours. Consider me to never respond to any more of your posts.

engie
03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Whatever, it is obvious you won't change my position and I won't change yours. Consider me to never respond to any more of your posts.

Excellent. Adding you to that list will do nothing but continue to improve what has become a miserable reading experience on this site.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Excellent. Adding you to that list will do nothing but continue to improve what has become a miserable reading experience on this site.

Seen a lot of bitching from you about posters lately. What do you expect when we are the WORST Power6 basketball program in the Nation? Seriously, what do you expect? To me those that are bitching are showing me they have pride in our program. Those that are sticking their heads in the sand and/or are taking the Gene's page losing is ok mentality are the ones I'm confused about. This isn't Croom football anymore. You can't shovel us shit and tell us it's filet mignon anymore. Auburn just hired BRUCE PEARL. Not Kentucky. Not Florida. Not even Arkansas. ****ING AUBURN!!

Drugdog
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Coach 34 ,
Some of these idiots need to go now. Ruining the board. Looking at you 61. Plus others.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Coach 34 ,
Some of these idiots need to go now. Ruining the board. Looking at you 61. Plus others.

Look at the babe thread if you want some humor or positives from me on the day Auburn hires the guy I've been screaming for for the last 2 months.

Drugdog
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Look at the babe thread if you want some humor or positives from me on the day Auburn hires the guy I've been screaming for for the last 2 months.

I'm sure your bitching about that as well.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm sure your bitching about that as well.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m5IRSaR13_Q/UEaNfMMAp8I/AAAAAAAAUIs/gsvX6ZqrdEw/s1600/your-youre.jpg