PDA

View Full Version : Mark Richt has lost control of the program....

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2014, 06:18 AM
UGA begins it's annual push to win the Fulmer Cup:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/report-4-uga-football-players-arrested/nfFgr/

Say what you will about the "star value" of our recruiting, but every year it is obvious that we look for guys who are smart enough to stay out of trouble. (That does not mean they aren't doing stupid college things or taking a toke, etc.) It may be that the odds will finally catch up to us at some point, but it is nice not seeing MSU players linked to stuff like that.

MSUMatt
03-18-2014, 06:33 AM
UGA begins it's annual push to win the Fulmer Cup:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/report-4-uga-football-players-arrested/nfFgr/

Say what you will about the "star value" of our recruiting, but every year it is obvious that we look for guys who are smart enough to stay out of trouble. (That does not mean they aren't doing stupid college things or taking a toke, etc.) It may be that the odds will finally catch up to us at some point, but it is nice not seeing MSU players linked to stuff like that.

Or maybe he just enforces rules other programs commonly sweep under the rug?

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Word is that players were depositing per-diem checks via phone, then going to the bank and depositing or cashing them again....
"You can't fix stupid..."

And yes, to Richts' credit, he doesn't put up with anything and doesn't try to sweep it under the rug. He actually runs the program instead of the inmates running the asylum.

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Agree on Richt. Also, UGA, UK, and MSU have the strictest drug policies in the SEC. OM has the weakest according to Atlanta sports radio.

The fact that a single use gets you suspended means it's going to be in the news every time it happens. At other places you may not know until the 2nd or 3rd offense.

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Agree on Richt. Also, UGA, UK, and MSU have the strictest drug policies in the SEC. OM has the weakest according to Atlanta sports radio.

The fact that a single use gets you suspended means it's going to be in the news every time it happens. At other places you may not know until the 2nd or 3rd offense.
Or with some schools, you don't find out until after the conviction......

esplanade91
03-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Maybe UGA should fire him and hire an assistant from Clemson.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Maybe UGA should fire him and hire an assistant from Clemson.

BWAH!!! That was hilarious. Great stuff.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Word is that players were depositing per-diem checks via phone, then going to the bank and depositing or cashing them again....
"You can't fix stupid..."

And yes, to Richts' credit, he doesn't put up with anything and doesn't try to sweep it under the rug. He actually runs the program instead of the inmates running the asylum.

Holy shit stupid always finds a way to be more stupid. What a bunch of dumbasses.

sandwolf
03-18-2014, 04:21 PM

That is always a serious possibility, and we, along with every other college football program, will always have incidents pop up every once in a while....but it seems to me like Mullen has created a culture within the program that will keep those incidents to a minimum and should prevent us from ever having a stretch like UM has had over the past year. When a program has as many incidents as they have had recently, that is not bad luck.....it is a product of the culture and it would worry the shit out of me if that were happening in Starkville. When a staff truly holds their players accountable, you shouldn't see incidents piling up on top of each other......and you damn sure shouldn't see the same upperclassman (who is a starter) involved in almost all of them, the most recent of which included your starting senior QB standing behind him and laughing like it was the coolest thing he had ever seen, instead of asking him if he was a complete ****ing moron. When you have multiple upperclassmen that are acting like that in the middle of the day on a crowded beach after everything else that has gone down in the past 3 months, it screams that they are not being held to any kind of standard by their coaching staff. Fortunately, I think that we are on the other end of the spectrum......we will definitely have players screw up, and some who do so in a big way, but if Mullen keeps running things the way that he has been, then I think we should be able to avoid anything that goes too far beyond those "isolated incidents."

**I know that your initial post was about UGA, but I am much more familiar with UM's situation than I am UGA's, and so it was easier to use them as a baseline.......plus, I would just rather sling mud at them than I would Georgia.

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2014, 04:37 PM
That was point - Richt gets criticized for being "forgiving" because it seems they always have a lot of stupid in the program. The difference between Richt and Freeze is that accountability. Guys screw up, and Richt boots them or punishes them - just ask Mettenberger and Josh Harvey-Clemons. Freeze makes excuses or ignores them and it creates a culture where guys feel invincible. Mullen seems to have gone a step further and created a culture where the team doesn't even think about stepping out of line - or at least not putting themselves in bad situations. Must be those great Scientology teachings***