PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Fitt tweet after Georgia series.

State82
03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Don't know if anybody mentioned this, but Baseball America's Aaron Fitt tweeted after the DH sweep Saturday: Mississippi State outscored Georgia 10-1 in a doubleheader sweep today to win the series after losing Friday's opener. MSU will be just fine.

maroonmania
03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Well technically 10-2 but I like his line of thinking.

bully99
03-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Fitt said today vandy has the deepest pitching staff in the country. Gonna be tough to score this weekend.

Saw a Stat today that vandy in their last 15 SEC series, they are 9and 6 in game 1 and 28 and 1 in game 2 and 3. That's a deep staff.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah well I don't care who you are, when you come into Starkville for a 3-game SEC series these days, you better come in here with some respect and worry about getting the first one. This team is going to get blazing hot at some point. As of now we are 11-4 in last 15 with all four losses coming on the road (and 3 out west). In addition, two of the losses out west were to a top 20 team.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts....but this team could easily be 19-4 or 20-3. I personally am glad we are where we are. The rough start is just what Cohen needs to convince these guys to completely buy in to his meat grinder philosophy at the plate.

Winning big early just means you won't win big late (in most circumstances).

messageboardsuperhero
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Fitt said today vandy has the deepest pitching staff in the country. Gonna be tough to score this weekend.

Saw a Stat today that vandy in their last 15 SEC series, they are 9and 6 in game 1 and 28 and 1 in game 2 and 3. That's a deep staff.

We'll be doing good to score 12 runs all weekend, IMO. They've only allowed more than three runs in a game twice all season. Luckily though, their offense isn't what it was last year, so that gives me some hope. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

And that is a crazy stat.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 07:57 PM
We'll be doing good to score 12 runs all weekend, IMO. They've only allowed more than three runs in a game twice all season. Luckily though, their offense isn't what it was last year, so that gives me some hope. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

12 runs over 3 games against a team like Vandy will be pretty decent. You have to figure we will have trouble with Bede, just as they will have trouble scoring on Ross Mitchell, Lindgren, Holder, etc. I'd say Vandy will be lucky to score 12 runs this weekend as well. I see this as tightly played series with low scoring games.

bully99
03-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Friday and Saturday games will be on TV. Wonder what the crowds will be like.

messageboardsuperhero
03-17-2014, 08:09 PM
12 runs over 3 games against a team like Vandy will be pretty decent. You have to figure we will have trouble with Bede, just as they will have trouble scoring on Ross Mitchell, Lindgren, Holder, etc. I'd say Vandy will be lucky to score 12 runs this weekend as well. I see this as tightly played series with low scoring games.

Oh, no doubt they'll have a tough time scoring too (assuming we pitch like we did this past Saturday in Athens).

Look for tight, low scoring games this weekend.

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 08:24 PM
This series being played at Dudy-Noble is definitely something in our favor. That ridiculous turf that Vandy has gives them a big advantage on offense and defense as well. I say defense because it plays so fast, their defenders are used to playing it. Visiting teams aren't- and you make an error or two and allow an unearned run, it certainly will be the difference in the game a lot of times against them.

Collins and Britton will also be an upgrade over what we had last year at two key positions defensively compared to Ammo and Detz/Frost when you are talking about bunting and stealing bases.

Vandy has an impressive streak going- but we are arguably their biggest test in SEC play in awhile.

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Kemp and Yastrezemski KILLED us all last year.

msstate7
03-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Kemp and Yastrezemski KILLED us all last year.

Kemp is back?

Lefthandersrule
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
^ no thank goodness.

messageboardsuperhero
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
This series being played at Dudy-Noble is definitely something in our favor. That ridiculous turf that Vandy has gives them a big advantage on offense and defense as well. I say defense because it plays so fast, their defenders are used to playing it. Visiting teams aren't- and you make an error or two and allow an unearned run, it certainly will be the difference in the game a lot of times against them.

Collins and Britton will also be an upgrade over what we had last year at two key positions defensively compared to Ammo and Detz/Frost when you are talking about bunting and stealing bases.

Vandy has an impressive streak going- but we are arguably their biggest test in SEC play in awhile.

Even though Vandy throws Miller (a lefty) on Saturdays, I hope we start Britton every game this series. His defense is so valuable against a team like Vandy.

I really think that between Britton at 3rd, Heck at SS, Pirtle at 2nd, and Rea at 1st, we have one of the best defensive infields in America. Catcher is definitely still shaky at times, but if you're just talking about making plays on balls hit in the infield, you won't find anyone in the country who defends better than us when Britton is at 3rd.

smootness
03-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Catcher is definitely still shaky at times

Not with Collins back there.

messageboardsuperhero
03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Not with Collins back there.

He still has work to do with his blocking and handling of the pitching staff.

Collins has a ton of talent and will be really good in time- but he is still a freshman who is prone to some mistakes.

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Even though Vandy throws Miller (a lefty) on Saturdays, I hope we start Britton every game this series. His defense is so valuable against a team like Vandy.

I really think that between Britton at 3rd, Heck at SS, Pirtle at 2nd, and Rea at 1st, we have one of the best defensive infields in America. Catcher is definitely still shaky at times, but if you're just talking about making plays on balls hit in the infield, you won't find anyone in the country who defends better than us when Britton is at 3rd.

I absolutely 100% agree. Britton going 0-4 with a golden sombrero doesn't matter to me if we can control their offense with his defense. But if Cohen must play match-up on Sat., I hope he goes with Humphreys at third base.