PDA

View Full Version : MSU alum and Tupelo native Bob Marlin leads ULL to the NCAA tournament

601Dawg
03-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine today at work and he told me that a Tupelo native and MSU alum named Bob Marlin led UL Lafayette to the Sun Belt Championship and a spot in the NCAA tourney. I looked the guy up and he's had success in the past at Sam Houston State as well. Congrats to Coach Marlin.

With that said, why wasn't a coach like him ever given consideration or at least an interview for the MSU job when it came open two years ago. Marlin was an assistant at Bama in the 90's and also coached under Dana Altman at Marshall. He has coached in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Florida, and West Virginia over his career. Doesn't have an eye popping career record but now has taken 2 schools to the tourney.

Any of you older dawgs know much about coach Marlin?

smootness
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
When we made the change, he had gone 14-15 and 16-16 his first two years at ULL. He also then went 13-20 last year. Stricklin would have been destroyed had he hired Marlin, and we would be calling for him to be fired after last year if we were ULL fans.

601Dawg
03-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Maybe so, but the guy has 15 years HC experience and is taking his 2nd mid major team to the dance.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
With that said, why wasn't a coach like him ever given consideration or at least an interview for the MSU job when it came open two years ago.

Because he went 14-15, 16-16, and then 13-20 last year. According to State message board posters from the Stansbury tree- him not winning until his 4th year shows he is a shitty coach and never should have even gotten that 4th year to coach.

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Coach66 knows him and I went to school with him and his brother at Tupelo and MSU . That who I wanted ,He did very good at Sam Houston State and took a train wreak of a job at ULL .He would have been a good fit and we would be in better shape today I believe .
I was talking to a friend of mine today at work and he told me that a Tupelo native and MSU alum named Bob Marlin led UL Lafayette to the Sun Belt Championship and a spot in the NCAA tourney. I looked the guy up and he's had success in the past at Sam Houston State as well. Congrats to Coach Marlin.

With that said, why wasn't a coach like him ever given consideration or at least an interview for the MSU job when it came open two years ago. Marlin was an assistant at Bama in the 90's and also coached under Dana Altman at Marshall. He has coached in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Florida, and West Virginia over his career. Doesn't have an eye popping career record but now has taken 2 schools to the tourney.

Any of you older dawgs know much about coach Marlin?

Coach34
03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm glad to see a Bulldog doing well. Congrats to him

601Dawg
03-17-2014, 05:30 PM
My question is why does Stricklin always think we have to go the assistant route? Does he not have faith or the ability to sell our programs (all sports) so someone who currently has had a head coaching position?

I think Cohen is one of the few coaches in MSU's recent history to have had previous head coaching experience. The other was Jackie. We know how those turned out.

esplanade91
03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Jeff Malone is on two different NBA teams' top scoring lists and was a decent head coach in the D-League and I've never heard his name mentioned in connection with being a head coach or assistant coach at MSU. Fans are always bringing up Dampier, and maybe that's because he's visible, but arguably the 2nd best MSU product of all time has professional coaching experience and is sitting at home. It's a pipe dream, but how awesome would that be? He'd bring credibility to MSU again.

Obviously I'd always prefer to have a homegrown product, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality just to give the job to a guy who chose to go to MSU for whatever reason when he was 17. Malone seems like he could be both a hometown hero and a good coach. Obviously Stricklin isn't afraid to think out of the box. We need to grassroots this shit.