PDA

View Full Version : Where does Supahstar Davonte Pollard go now?

Coach34
03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I know Stands has him "locked down"- but what is his back-up plan? Carolina? Dook? Kansas?

Jacksondevildog
03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
I know that the Spirit board has been inquiring about him lately. They like players with baggage.

Saltydog
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
out in that area.

Raytoraid83
03-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I know Stands has him "locked down"- but what is his back-up plan? Carolina? Dook? Kansas?

No way he'd start over Oliver Black!!!!

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-17-2014, 01:27 PM
He has rare athleticism that very few in the country have, his production has not been great but he has a limitless ceiling. I don't know why he isn't playing well, but I sure wish State would take him. Much rather have a former five star than somebody like Troutman that's best offer is New Hampshire.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2014, 01:47 PM
He has rare athleticism that very few in the country have, his production has not been great but he has a limitless ceiling. I don't know why he isn't playing well, but I sure wish State would take him. Much rather have a former five star than somebody like Troutman that's best offer is New Hampshire.

Not really directed at you bc I've heard several say it but when does this limitless ceiling show itself. Since he's left Kemper Co he hasn't really showed anything at either stop to say he has this vast potential & limitless ceiling. He reminds me of Michael Gholar. A freaky athlete who's just not that good of a bball player. Now if we had a team where he could come in & be an energy guy on a good team I'd be all for him. Unfortunately people would expect that 5* McDonald's AA & when he avg 8-10ppg & 4-6rpg our fans would be calling him a bust. We need shooters, scorers, whatever your term & Pollard just isn't that.

Five-tool Poster
03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Not really directed at you bc I've heard several say it but when does this limitless ceiling show itself. Since he's left Kemper Co he hasn't really showed anything at either stop to say he has this vast potential & limitless ceiling. He reminds me of Michael Gholar. A freaky athlete who's just not that good of a bball player. Now if we had a team where he could come in & be an energy guy on a good team I'd be all for him. Unfortunately people would expect that 5* McDonald's AA & when he avg 8-10ppg & 4-6rpg our fans would be calling him a bust. We need shooters, scorers, whatever your term & Pollard just isn't that.

Im not necessarily an advocate for us getting Pollard but what makes you think compared to the rest of our team he couldn't be a scorer?

C222
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM

This, I agree with.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Im not necessarily an advocate for us getting Pollard but what makes you think compared to the rest of our team he couldn't be a scorer?

Mainly bc he's proven he's not a consistent or proven scorer at Bama or EMCC. He avg 4ppg at Bama & 12ppg at EMCC good for 3rd on the team. He just doesn't have an offensive skill set. He doesn't have good range. He's not a guy that can beat you off the dribble & get to the rack. He's not good with his back to the basket. Majority of his points come from transition & put backs.

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
It would help our rebounding ,just think if we had gotten him out of high school ,maybe Ray would not be on the hot seat today. Who knows.

engie
03-17-2014, 02:17 PM
It would help our rebounding ,just think if we had gotten him out of high school ,maybe Ray would not be on the hot seat today. Who knows.

1) Ray isn't on the hot seat today.
2) Daniels is a MUCH better rebounder than Pollard -- just as good of scorer -- and a better defender. It's hard to argue "ceilings" -- but when and where do these ceilings occur?

Coach34
03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Pollard in all his greatness averaged 12 and 6 this year in juco with just under a block/game...and didnt make a 3-ball all season

http://www.emccathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/teams/eastmississippicommunitycollege?view=lineup

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
It may not be hot but it is warm . Ray needs to win at least 18 games next year or sign Newman. By the way I hope Ray gets it done , if not I hire Bob Marlin at least he going to the Big Dance this year ,he should have been hired 2 years ago but that is water under the bridge. Have you seen Daniels play before ,I wonder if anyone on this board seen him in person.
1) Ray isn't on the hot seat today.
2) Daniels is a MUCH better rebounder than Pollard -- just as good of scorer -- and a better defender. It's hard to argue "ceilings" -- but when and where do these ceilings occur?

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
he can't be any worse than the junk heap we presently have. if no room on the roster, maybe we can hire him to be the head coach?

check this awesomeness:

Pos Nat'l
Rank Nat'l
Rating Name
School, Hometown Video HT/ WT/ PPG Commit Date Signed LOI? Commit School
PG 24 Tookie Brown
(Morgan County HS)
Madison, GA 5-10/165 01/26/2014
Mississippi State
SG NR Dante Scott
(Campbell HS)
Smyrna, GA 6-4/230 06/12/2013
Mississippi State
PF NR Joseph Strugg
(Carver Senior HS)
Montgomery, AL 6-8/200 06/11/2013
Mississippi State

C222
03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
he can't be any worse than the junk heap we presently have. if no room on the roster, maybe we can hire him to be the head coach?

check this awesomeness:

Pos Nat'l
Rank Nat'l
Rating Name
School, Hometown Video HT/ WT/ PPG Commit Date Signed LOI? Commit School
PG 24 Tookie Brown
(Morgan County HS)
Madison, GA 5-10/165 01/26/2014
Mississippi State
SG NR Dante Scott
(Campbell HS)
Smyrna, GA 6-4/230 06/12/2013
Mississippi State
PF NR Joseph Strugg
(Carver Senior HS)
Montgomery, AL 6-8/200 06/11/2013
Mississippi State

Tookie is really, really good. Wait until this summer when more offers come in. He and Scott are in the Top 100 on Future 150.

C222
03-17-2014, 02:57 PM
No way he'd start over Oliver Black!!!!

Oliver Back had an offer from Oklahoma (currently a 5 seed) and Wichita State (#1 ranked team in the country). But what do they know.

engie
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
It may not be hot but it is warm . Ray needs to win at least 18 games next year or sign Newman.

I think he's got a pretty good shot at both of these as of today...

Next year tells the story on Ray in every possible way...

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
That we can both agree on .
I think he's got a pretty good shot at both of these as of today...

Next year tells the story on Ray in every possible way...

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 03:15 PM
I already know the story on Ray. This ain't baseball.

How exactly do you think Ray will get the best basketball prospect in the nation, given that up until now, he's never been capable of signing even a 4-star prospect?

What does 18 games mean? I seem to recall being lectured about how 20 games doesn't mean squat anymore. You get 13 for showing up and having a scholarship program in the SEC. What so that means he wins 4 or 5 more games against a bunch of horrible SEC teams...so that's gonna be real progress after 3 years? For basketball? Or do we have a special category of progress for Rick "the assistant" Ray?

We won 17 or more games in 12 of 14 seasons before Ray, so I sure hope the Rick "the assistant" Ray can get 18 against a putrid SEC West in year 3.

C222
03-17-2014, 03:20 PM

How exactly do you think Ray will get the best basketball prospect in the nation, given that up until now, he's never been capable of signing even a 4-star prospect?

What does 18 games mean? I seem to recall being lectured about how 20 games doesn't mean squat anymore. You get 13 for showing up and having a scholarship program in the SEC. What so that means he wins 4 or 5 more games against a bunch of horrible SEC teams...so that's gonna be real progress after 3 years? For basketball? Or do we have a special category of progress for Rick "the assistant" Ray?

We won 17 or more games in 12 of 14 seasons before Ray, so I sure hope the Rick "the assistant" Ray can get 18 against a putrid SEC West in year 3.

How about giving him a chance? He's had 2 classes where he actually had time to recruit. 2015 class is pretty solid.

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Now this thread will turn fun . You will have engie and Coach34 on your ass now. Fun times ahead stay tune.

Coach66
03-17-2014, 03:24 PM
It may not be hot but it is warm . Ray needs to win at least 18 games next year or sign Newman. By the way I hope Ray gets it done , if not I hire Bob Marlin at least he going to the Big Dance this year ,he should have been hired 2 years ago but that is water under the bridge. Have you seen Daniels play before ,I wonder if anyone on this board seen him in person.

basketball championship games at MSU. Skillet is a fierce competitor.

engie
03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I already know the story on Ray.

Just like you already know the concrete of Dudy Noble is sacred and untouchable...

You don't know anything about Ray yet. Nobody does that is being "fair" to him. Next year, we will begin to.

What I do know is that Ray is seriously in the game with Newman now(even the Ray haters/Stans lovers with a clue will tell you this). He locks up Malik, you don't think that would have a lingering "Nkemdiche effect" in recruiting for us? And you don't think that'd be enough with 4 good seniors and a couple of good JRs with tons of experience and a few more pieces to really make a run in 16? He's literally that ONE player away from making a bunch of you into fools.

You'd think with the new news on Newman -- people would wise up and let it play out. But I guess not..

Goat from MSU
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Grew up with him and his brother in Tupelo. He would have been a good hire here ,not fancy but would gotten the job done here..
basketball championship games at MSU. Skillet is a fierce competitor.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 03:39 PM

1) Actually he has- we wouldnt have Elijah Staley without Ray. He is a 4-star basketball player and will be suiting up after the bowl game (damn it feels good to be able to type "after the bowl game" because we know we are going to one)

2) There is no more SEC West hoss. Try to keep up

3) As mentioned in #2- there is no more SEC West to feast on, and we play a complete schedule. We also play 2 more conference games than we did under Stands- instead of getting 2 more easy wins. Having to play more East teams would have hurt the ol Stands legacy for sure. And I'll remind you that Stands was the only SEC coach to vote for doing away with the divisions- he knew where his bread was buttered.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 03:45 PM
this is hilarious. I love it that you guys have to try and defend an absolute train wreck. it would be one thing if we had won about 17 games this year. but we were the worst in the SEC. great fun to watch you guys scramble around to come up with shitty, erroneous, illogical arguments about how it is reasonable that we have finished dead last in the SEC this year.

life ain't "fair," engie. get over it. this is about being a winner vs. being a loser.

and what are these new arguments about something that hasn't happened? did I miss where newman committed to us? IF Ray signs the top 5 players in the country, we'll be damn good! love it...except one little problem...Rick "the assistant" Ray can't recruit! Can't coach, and can't recruit. Tough combo. we had a guy who could recruit but couldn't coach and we ran him off for a guy who can do neither.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 03:46 PM
wouldn't have elijah staley...that is the crummiest argument I've ever heard. keep going. this is fun.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
wouldn't have elijah staley...that is the crummiest argument I've ever heard. keep going. this is fun.

Are you just an embecile? Ray had a relationship with Staley and his family and brought Mullen in the fold. And even then, Staley only signed with us because he was promised that he could play basketball for Ray.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
we had a guy who could recruit but couldn't coach

1st smart thing you have said today- congrats

bully99
03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Yancy saying the Bears are recruiting Pollard.

Raytoraid83
03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Oliver Back had an offer from Oklahoma (currently a 5 seed) and Wichita State (#1 ranked team in the country). But what do they know.

A very high profile coach in Jackson said Black isn't good enough but what does he know?

C222
03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
A very high profile coach in Jackson said Black isn't good enough but what does he know?

One of the best college coaches in the country thinks he's good enough. I will go with him.

smootness
03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
The radio interview with Horatio Webster in February was interesting, too - it was the first time he has stated that if it were up to him, Malik would end up at State.

I trust that he'll let his kid make up his own mind and that by no means are we a 'favorite', but if your dad played at a school, you grew up close to that school and go back there a decent amount, and you know that your dad would like for you to play there, that's definitely going to pull you there in some way.

Add to that the fact that Ray continues to work his butt off recruiting the kid, and you have to think we're in the game. No way would Ray continue to spend that much time if he got the sense it was all pointless. He knows that if he gets Newman, it's like cutting 3 years off the rebuild.

engie
03-17-2014, 05:09 PM

They said the same thing about a former SEC freshman of the year after his JR year of highschool...

Let's keep in mind that Black played his SR season at IMG Academy in Florida -- not in MS -- where he played great competition, received great instruction, and took some tremendous steps forward according to the coach down there.

But keep "very high profile coach in Jackson" trusting a coach in Jackson over a coach at an undefeated one-seed.

Dawg61
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM

They both know Florida is the #1 ranked team in the country.

Johnson85
03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
The radio interview with Horatio Webster in February was interesting, too - it was the first time he has stated that if it were up to him, Malik would end up at State.

I always assumed he was the one pushing for a big name. Surprising.

Add to that the fact that Ray continues to work his butt off recruiting the kid, and you have to think we're in the game. No way would Ray continue to spend that much time if he got the sense it was all pointless.

I think he'd definitely still spend the time if it was hopeless. Even if you know you're not going to get him, what head coach is going to open himself up to criticism by not recruiting a top 5 national recruit that is a legacy for your school and lives two hours away.

Madisonmd
03-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Black does not have signable offers from OK nor WS. He is not that good. Period

Raytoraid83
03-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Black does not have signable offers from OK nor WS. He is not that good. Period

But rivals says he has offers from Witchita and Oklahoma?!?!?***

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Just like you already know the concrete of Dudy Noble is sacred and untouchable...

You don't know anything about Ray yet. Nobody does that is being "fair" to him. Next year, we will begin to.

What I do know is that Ray is seriously in the game with Newman now(even the Ray haters/Stans lovers with a clue will tell you this). He locks up Malik, you don't think that would have a lingering "Nkemdiche effect" in recruiting for us? And you don't think that'd be enough with 4 good seniors and a couple of good JRs with tons of experience and a few more pieces to really make a run in 16? He's literally that ONE player away from making a bunch of you into fools.

You'd think with the new news on Newman -- people would wise up and let it play out. But I guess not..

I want to make sure I understand this... are you suggesting that Rick Ray is one player away from being successful?

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
I want to make sure I understand this... are you suggesting that Rick Ray is one player away from being successful?

the part I thought was funny was how it would cut 3 years off the rebuild. apparently our college basketball job requires a 10-year plan. any thing less would be "unfair."

where is the MSU bulldog pride around here? are you guys settling? first we weren't ok with having an ncaa tournament-type team every year. that was settling. but now we are just being patient. look, sometimes you just have to be. sometimes it takes 7 years at being the worst team in the SEC before the sunshine breaks through the dark clouds.

and frankly, with the mess Stands left (12 out of 14 seasons with 17 or more wins....probably 9 out of 12 were 20+ wins), Rick "the assitant" Ray is probably entitled to 15 years on the rebuild...just to be "fair"

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Are you just an embecile? Ray had a relationship with Staley and his family and brought Mullen in the fold. And even then, Staley only signed with us because he was promised that he could play basketball for Ray.

I think you missed my point. I'm not trading a decade of being the worst team in the SEC in basketball for 1 three-star football project who may or may not ever play a down for MSU. you get no points for that. points are accumulated for beating a horrible south carolina team at home, for instance. heaven forbid we finish, say, 12th in the SEC in year 2.

what exactly is an embecile? and why are you resorting to name calling? isn't that an attack? just because I'm eating your lunch on the merits of this discussion does not warrant a personal attack.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Oh and one more thing. In addition to Rick "the assitant" Ray's masterful recruiting of Staley, his decision also might have taken this into account:

Mississippi State Verbal Yes 11/15/2013
Appalachian State No Interest Yes None
Boston College No Interest Yes None
Georgia No Interest No None
Marshall No Interest Yes None
North Carolina No Interest No None
Vanderbilt No Interest Yes None
Virginia No Interest Yes None
Western Kentucky No Interest Yes None

hacker
03-17-2014, 08:57 PM
just because I'm eating your lunch on the merits of this discussion does not warrant a personal attack.

hahahaha

have delusions of grandeur much?

Coach34
03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
hahahaha

have delusions of grandeur much?

no kidding...this guy is hilarious

engie
03-17-2014, 09:44 PM

"One player away"? No.

But Newman will bring a posse with him.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm not the one arguing that after two years of college basketball, we don't have a sample size worthy of drawing conclusions. That's not to say it is impossible for things to change, but it is to say that it appears Ray is in way over his head and we presently have a much worse situation on our hands than we did 3 years ago, which is what many of us predicted.

And I'm not the one using some 3 star football player with an offer from Vandy as a feather in Ray's cap. If you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel like that for arguments in favor of a college basketball coach, then you know you are behind the proverbial eight ball.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-17-2014, 10:11 PM

If you honestly think those were committable offers then you really are drinking the maroon koolaid.

engie
03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm not the one arguing that after two years of college basketball, we don't have a sample size worthy of drawing conclusions. That's not to say it is impossible for things to change, but it is to say that it appears Ray is in way over his head and we presently have a much worse situation on our hands than we did 3 years ago, which is what many of us predicted.
Convenient wording. Rick Ray didn't take over the team 3 years ago -- when we had one of the more attractive situations in the country from a talent standpoint. Before being one of the worst 2 years ago.

And I'm not the one using some 3 star football player with an offer from Vandy as a feather in Ray's cap. If you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel like that for arguments in favor of a college basketball coach, then you know you are behind the proverbial eight ball.
Nice try looking at and posting his football offer list instead of his basketball offer list. Let me straighten that out for you.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140318-flzs-39kb.jpg
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140318-7c5w-37kb.jpg

Obviously terrible player with "an offer from Vandy"**

engie
03-17-2014, 10:52 PM
If you honestly think those were committable offers then you really are drinking the maroon koolaid.

Please prove that they weren't? Basketball team don't throw out 100 uncommittable offers. This isn't football. But then again, I have no idea why I'm even attempting to engage you into anything logical.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Please prove that they weren't? Basketball team don't throw out 100 uncommittable offers. This isn't football. But then again, I have no idea why I'm even attempting to engage you into anything logical.

If you think Black would go to MSU after a 10-23 season versus going to Wichita State fresh off a Final Four appearance, then either you are mentally insane or just ignorant. He didn't have committable offers from them. Omhar Carter is his AAU coach who is notorious for "sugar coating" an offer list. Anyways it will be a coin flip anyways to see if he becomes eligible or not. He wasn't even the best post player in JPS his junior year.

Sandman14
03-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Oh man yeah, Staley was a 3-star on all sites but had offers from all those schools...and chose MSU. This debate has quickly digressed. You are grasping at straws. I am done with this one. Just know that all of this is has provided me with immense comic relief. Can't wait to see what great football players Ray gets us next year. Too bad his basketball recruiting isn't more like his football recruiting.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Oh man yeah, Staley was a 3-star on all sites but had offers from all those schools...and chose MSU. This debate has quickly digressed. You are grasping at straws. I am done with this one. Just know that all of this is has provided me with immense comic relief. Can't wait to see what great football players Ray gets us next year. Too bad his basketball recruiting isn't more like his football recruiting.

Although you have supplied great humor in this thread you are wrong about Staley. He is a 4* basketball recruit. He holds very nice offers in basketball and he just might have a higher ceiling in football. Knocking Ray on his recruiting is deserved but not because of Elijah Staley. I have a feeling Dan Mullen has a lot to do with that one though considering his scholarship will count towards football so that should mean football comes first for Staley. Ray didn't welcome Bear with open arms so will we see more of the same with ES?

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Although you have supplied great humor in this thread you are wrong about Staley. He is a 4* basketball recruit. He holds very nice offers in basketball and he just might have a higher ceiling in football. Knocking Ray on his recruiting is deserved but not because of Elijah Staley. I have a feeling Dan Mullen has a lot to do with that one though considering his scholarship will count towards football so that should mean football comes first for Staley. Ray didn't welcome Bear with open arms so will we see more of the same with ES?

Staley had to sign in football if he intended on playing. He is a 50/50 guy on them- loves both if not basketball even more. He will be playing after football is over- but will take the time to learn everything just like anybody else. He should be good off the bench down the stretch in the SEC

mcdawg
03-18-2014, 12:54 AM

I heard from a college coach that those offers are not correct. He also said that Black is a SWAC player (not SEC) because he just cannot play offense. Also, he said that it will be very close on his grades.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Staley had to sign in football if he intended on playing. He is a 50/50 guy on them- loves both if not basketball even more. He will be playing after football is over- but will take the time to learn everything just like anybody else. He should be good off the bench down the stretch in the SEC

Dan might want to consider that Staley chooses basketball over football. I hope he doesn't but Staley may find Fitz is better than expected and already has a leg up on him. I really want to see what Staley's got as a QB but after the Cord Sandberg experience it might be a good idea to sign 2 QBs this year. That should be answered in time for NSD though so if that does become the case and I'm hoping it doesn't that could leave the door open to sign both Smith and Minshew or a yet to be named higher QB prospect. But again I'm hoping Staley plays both. I think we all are which is different from Bear.

mcdawg
03-18-2014, 12:56 AM

A college coach who knows all the parties says they were not.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Also, he said that it will be very close on his grades.

Uh oh is Ray going to be down to eleven soon? Not looking good for that 13 scholi deadline.

C222
03-18-2014, 07:03 AM
If you think Black would go to MSU after a 10-23 season versus going to Wichita State fresh off a Final Four appearance, then either you are mentally insane or just ignorant. He didn't have committable offers from them. Omhar Carter is his AAU coach who is notorious for "sugar coating" an offer list. Anyways it will be a coin flip anyways to see if he becomes eligible or not. He wasn't even the best post player in JPS his junior year.

Anything to discredit Ray. You guys are doing a hell of a job. Great fans we have here.

C222
03-18-2014, 07:19 AM
But rivals says he has offers from Witchita and Oklahoma?!?!?***

I bet you wanted Kenny Paul Geno, right?

Raytoraid83
03-18-2014, 07:54 AM

As a walk on, sure. Scholarship? No way

notsofarawaydawg
03-18-2014, 07:56 AM

I guess I'm in the dark. What is the story on Ray? Enlighten us as to what you know. Is he too dark for you too? Plenty of people have made that obvious but don't have to balls to say that is really why they hate the man.

thf24
03-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Yet again, I look at a basketball thread and wonder what some of you find so repulsive about the "I'm going to wait and see, and not make definitive statements to avoid the potential of looking like a complete idiot in a few years" mentality.

C222
03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Yet again, I look at a basketball thread and wonder what some of you find so repulsive about the "I'm going to wait and see, and not make definitive statements to avoid the potential of looking like a complete idiot in a few years" mentality.

Because they all love Stans and had their feelings hurt when he got fired. It wouldn't have mattered who we hired. The same group of people would be doing whatever they could to hurt our current coach just so they could say "I told you we shouldn't have fired Stans."

Johnson85
03-18-2014, 08:08 AM

This is utter bullshit. The reason Stansbury had to go because we went from a very desirable position as far as talent, with a less than desirable position as far as character. The talent jumped ship and the character situation imploded. All you're doing is making the argument that we waited a year too late to ask Stansbury to leave, which is easy to say in hindsight but a lot harder when you're dealing with a solid coach that has dedicated over a decade to the program.

Johnson85
03-18-2014, 08:11 AM
I guess I'm in the dark. What is the story on Ray? Enlighten us as to what you know. Is he too dark for you too? Plenty of people have made that obvious but don't have to balls to say that is really why they hate the man.

**??? Or did you seriously just imply that the reason people are unhappy with the coach whose team finished last in a shitty SEC is because he's black? I don't think any coach was likely to turn the dumpster fire around in two seasons, but way to make the people calling for Ray's head look reasonable.

thf24
03-18-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm not the one arguing that after two years of college basketball, we don't have a sample size worthy of drawing conclusions.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but you should realize that yours is one that neither our athletic department nor anyone assessing the situation with a shred of honesty or rationality shares.

engie
03-18-2014, 08:52 AM
I heard from a college coach that those offers are not correct. He also said that Black is a SWAC player (not SEC) because he just cannot play offense. Also, he said that it will be very close on his grades.
Got to love geniuses that can assess a kid's entire future as a JR in high school that they don't even see once during his senior year -- when he doubles his numbers at one of the best feeder schools in the country as a SR completely outside their "watchful eyes". "Close on grades"? He's still got a crapload of highschool courses -- and almost assuredly had a FULL YEAR PLUS when "your guy" gave you this tremendous information. He obviously doesn't have an ax to grind**. You've already made this silly argument once and set yourself up with a 4 year window to be made into a total fool -- after I pointed out the folly the first time. At this point, it's just hilarious.

Good thing you "know Gregg Marshall" though -- and he told you that Black's offers weren't legit**

engie
03-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Because they all love Stans and had their feelings hurt when he got fired. It wouldn't have mattered who we hired. The same group of people would be doing whatever they could to hurt our current coach just so they could say "I told you we shouldn't have fired Stans."

Careful -- they will try to convince you that they wouldn't be taking their current positions if we had hired a "proven" head coach --- although I can show many instances where many of the same people took the same position throughout our baseball coaching change.

C222
03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Got to love geniuses that can assess a kid's entire future as a JR in high school -- when he doubles his numbers at one of the best feeder schools in the country as a SR completely outside their "watchful eyes". You've already made this silly argument once and set yourself up with a 4 year window to be made into a total fool -- after I pointed out the folly the first time. At this point, it's just hilarious.

Good thing you "know Gregg Marshall" though -- and he told you that Black's offers weren't legit**

Come on engie, Ohmar Carter just made up those offers!!!**** Isn't it funny that all the Ray haters/Stans supporters are the only ones saying the offers aren't legit and that all of Ray's recruits are "SWAC" players??

C222
03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Careful -- they will try to convince you that they wouldn't be taking their current positions if we had hired a "proven" head coach --- although I can show many instances where many of the same people took the same position throughout our baseball coaching change.

Too bad we didn't hire Kenny Payne. He is probably dominating with that Nike contract and all that talent at whatever school hired him.

engie
03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Come on engie, Ohmar Carter just made up those offers!!!**** Isn't it funny that all the Ray haters/Stans supporters are the only ones saying the offers aren't legit and that all of Ray's recruits are "SWAC" players??

It's absolutely hilarious. Well, by hilarious, I really mean sad and pathetic.

The spin cycle on the "Ray can't recruit" faction is probably about to become totally hilarious in the next 12 months.

C222
03-18-2014, 09:12 AM
It's absolutely hilarious. Well, by hilarious, I really mean sad and pathetic.

The spin cycle on the "Ray can't recruit" faction is probably about to become totally hilarious in the next 12 months.

If we do happen to get Malik, no one will give Ray credit. Coastdoglover is already making sure of that when put this out there:

"Rick Ray has allowed Richard Williams into his fold because he is in over his head. That is why he has tried to get Richard involved with a group to secure Malik"

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM

couldn't help myself. you are a racist. plain and simple. only a racist would make such a remark.

the problem with Ray is that he might be the worst basketball coach ever in the SEC. he produced a team that at one point was touted as the worst team in SEC history. then, in his second season, he got worse and his players regressed.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but you should realize that yours is one that neither our athletic department nor anyone assessing the situation with a shred of honesty or rationality shares.

what in the world are you talking about? the athletic department, Sricklin to be more precise, caused this dumpster fire and is now having to eat it. of course they support the head coach they foolishly hired.

honesty? let's talk about honesty. we presently are on probably one of the worst two-year runs in SEC history. there is no hope on the horizon. some pipe dream about Malik Newman. well I'm all for adding the best player in the nation, and Stands would have inked Newman no doubt, but excuse me if I hesitate to credit Ray with signing a player he doesn't even have a verbal from. Ray's recruiting track record stands on its own merit. it has been below what is expected at MSU.

engie
03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
well I'm all for adding the best player in the nation, and Stands would have inked Newman no doubt,.

Not that we needed any more reason to believe that you are a total idiot that is talking out of your ass about things you don't have a frigging clue about... but you still delivered. Thanks for that.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 09:37 AM

no. it's the opposite. the folks supporting this present dumpster fire are only doing so because they were in favor of canning Stands and now they don't want to admit they are wrong. it's a fact that we have had two straight horrid seasons after having 12 of 14 seasons in which we won 17 or more games. It's a fact that we formerly won in excess of 20 games the vast majority of the time prior to Ray's tenure. now we win 13 and finish last in the SEC. it is what it is. this is not year 1. this is college basketball we are talking about.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Not that we needed any more reason to believe that you are a total idiot that is talking out of your ass about things you don't have a frigging clue about... but you still delivered. Thanks for that.

WHUP! didn't take long for engie to start calling people disparaging names this morning! try using some logic to debate, engie. Stands signed Bender didn't he? He signed Monta didn't he? he signed outlaw didn't he? he signed Hood didn't he? who exactly has Ray signed?

C222
03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
no. it's the opposite. the folks supporting this present dumpster fire are only doing so because they were in favor of canning Stands and now they don't want to admit they are wrong. it's a fact that we have had two straight horrid seasons after having 12 of 14 seasons in which we won 17 or more games. It's a fact that we formerly won in excess of 20 games the vast majority of the time prior to Ray's tenure. now we win 13 and finish last in the SEC. it is what it is. this is not year 1. this is college basketball we are talking about.

Can't speak for everyone else but you are 100% wrong about me. I am supporting Ray because he deserves a chance to turn this thing around. I want Ray to succeed because he is working his ass off trying to get our program back to winning. He was dealt a shitty hand. Trust me when I tell you that the majority of the names that came out during the search wanted nothing to do with our program. If Ray doesn't get it done, someone else will. But I will support whoever it is. I won't try to sabotage the job he is doing and I sure as shit won't come on message boards and make fun of high school kids that he's trying to get.

engie
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Can't speak for everyone else but you are 100% wrong about me. I am supporting Ray because he deserves a chance to turn this thing around. I want Ray to succeed because he is working his ass off trying to get our program back to winning. He was dealt a shitty hand. Trust me when I tell you that the majority of the names that came out during the search wanted nothing to do with our program. If Ray doesn't get it done, someone else will. But I will support whoever it is. I won't try to sabotage the job he is doing and I sure as shit won't come on message boards and make fun of high school kids that he's trying to get.
Exactly.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Ok, I get it, we should not speak truth on the message boards for fear of hurting recruiting.

I imagine that not a single person who frequents this board actually roots for Ray to fail. Everyone enjoys watching the NCAA tournament when the dogs are in it. That is why many feel so aggrieved. We don't have that anymore. Linardi doesn't have us in his "first four in" or "first four out." we are last in the SEC for two years. And the SEC stinks, so we are actually very low among all BCS schools in the sport of basketball. Stands did not do that.

People clamor when you finish last every year and fail to bring in top 25 recruiting classes. It's just the way it is. I'm sorry if it's my fault Ray can't recruit because I am upset that we finish last every year now and am voicing my frustration.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Stands would have inked Newman no doubt, .

Not according to Horatio. The only reason we have a chance now is that Stands is gone

RAYn_Man
03-18-2014, 10:04 AM

He's homegrown, good student, and a great kid!!**

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:05 AM
. it's a fact that we have had two straight horrid seasons after having 12 of 14 seasons in which we won 17 or more games. .

Can I remind you of the seasons where we DIDNT win 17 games?

1999-2000- that team went 14-16 and 5-11 in the SEC. Why? It lost 4 starters from the year before
2005-2006- that team went 15-15 and 5-11 in the SEC. Why? It lost 5 starters from the year before

2013? We lost all 5 starters plus some recruits due to a coaching change. We also changed the culture of the program and had to run off some other players. Complete roster transition.

shannondawg
03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
I would like to know exactly how us Stansbury lovers are not supporting Ray, the games I go to, I see a lot of people that supported Stans? And while we at it, exactly how are you Stansbury haters supporting Ray, by filling up the Hump? Most are too buy on the message board to actually go to the games..

My saying I love Rick Ray, going to help him win any games? Or maybe I hate Stansbury will help Rick Ray win games?

I thought we were going to get off the Stansbury bashing after the final game of the year, but I guess this message board would go away if not for these threads..

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
For all y'all taking shots at Black if you have access to Scout you can see his season highlights & make your own determinations. Kid looks pretty good to me but I'm no talent evaluator.

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Can I remind you of the seasons where we DIDNT win 17 games?

1999-2000- that team went 14-16 and 5-11 in the SEC. Why? It lost 4 starters from the year before
2005-2006- that team went 15-15 and 5-11 in the SEC. Why? It lost 5 starters from the year before

2013? We lost all 5 starters plus some recruits due to a coaching change. We also changed the culture of the program and had to run off some other players. Complete roster transition.

Yes....continue on, sir.....

Allow me to finish your sentence. We followed the 99-00 season with this:

2000–01 Mississippi State 18–13 7–9 T–4th (West) NIT Quarterfinals
2001–02 Mississippi State 27–8 10–6 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2002–03 Mississippi State 21–10 9–7 1st (West) NCAA 1st Round
2003–04 Mississippi State 26–4 14–2 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2004–05 Mississippi State 23–11 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 2nd Round

And we followed the 05-06 team with this:

2006–07 Mississippi State 21–14 8–8 T–1st (West) NIT Final Four
2007–08 Mississippi State 23–11 12–4 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2008–09 Mississippi State 23–13 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2009–10 Mississippi State 24–12 9–7 T–1st (West) NIT 2nd Round

And we followed the 12-13 team with this:

2013–14 Mississippi State 14–18 3–15

One of these trends is not like the other. Also, the two Stands seasons you noted were 2 of 14. The two Ray seasons are 2 of 2. 100% for Ray.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Yes....continue on, sir.....

Allow me to finish your sentence. We followed the 99-00 season with this:

2000–01 Mississippi State 18–13 7–9 T–4th (West) NIT Quarterfinals
2001–02 Mississippi State 27–8 10–6 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2002–03 Mississippi State 21–10 9–7 1st (West) NCAA 1st Round
2003–04 Mississippi State 26–4 14–2 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2004–05 Mississippi State 23–11 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 2nd Round

And we followed the 05-06 team with this:

2006–07 Mississippi State 21–14 8–8 T–1st (West) NIT Final Four
2007–08 Mississippi State 23–11 12–4 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round
2008–09 Mississippi State 23–13 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2009–10 Mississippi State 24–12 9–7 T–1st (West) NIT 2nd Round

And we followed the 12-13 team with this:

2013–14 Mississippi State 14–18 3–15

One of these trends is not like the other. Also, the two Stands seasons you noted were 2 of 14. The two Ray seasons are 2 of 2. 100% for Ray.

neither 2000 nor 2006 saw our program in the shape it was in when Ray took over. We'll see what happens this coming season and can more adequately judge him

Sandman14
03-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I actually can agree with you there. Think back to great class we had lined up to come in. Probably a top 15 class and maybe top 10 if we had grabbed Pollard. Hood was ready to step up as a leader and take over. And BAM, the administration went and completely obliterated the program. Nuked it. We went from NCAA tournament contender to worst program in history of the SEC overnight. And when the smoke cleared, we had an assistant coach as our head coach, which only exacerbated the situation.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I actually can agree with you there. Think back to great class we had lined up to come in. Probably a top 15 class and maybe top 10 if we had grabbed Pollard. .

We werent even in the top 30...maybe if we kept Gray we would have broken top 30...it wouldnt have been close to a top 15 class....and we have seen that Pollard was in no way close to his ranking. Sell that BS somewhere else