PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Selection Committee: Worst Bracket Ever?

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
SMU, a ranked team, gets snubbed in favor of NC State?

Witchita State gets a buzz saw 8 seed with UK in the 2nd round? not to mention 2-3 more teams in their bracket that could legitimately win it all?

Louisville gets a 4 seed? they're a top 5 team in the nation. should've been a 2... maybe outside sht at a 3... at lowest.

This is the worst screw job I've ever seen by the selection committee. The fact that the chairman said that they were trying to send a message about the OOC schedule is garbage. That's a cop out and an excuse to put shitter teams above better teams. What try don't realize is they're screwing the higher seeds that have to play Mich St, Louisville, Kentucky, and others. Also, it completely removes any discussion of the strength of the conference... which should be just as an important as the non-conference schedule.

Bottom line is this, it's a push by the NCAA to force better matchups earlier in the year so they can capitalize financially off a better early season schedule. It's all about money. SMU was screwed because the NCAA wants more money. Witchita State was screwed because the NCAA wants more money. They are holding collegiate athletics hostage. They've just about lost football (probably coming within the next 5-10 years) and if they keep this crap up the BCS schools will pull out in basketball too.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
excuse the typos. phone rant...

TheRef
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Wichita State literally got the middle finger by the selection committee and the fact that the Chairman (Wake Forest AD) was quoted as saying "I didn't know how many ACC teams got a bid" is total crap.

HancockCountyDog
03-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Witchita State gets a buzz saw 8 seed with UK in the 2nd round? not to mention 2-3 more teams in their bracket that could legitimately win it all?

Louisville gets a 4 seed? they're a top 5 team in the nation. should've been a 2... maybe outside sht at a 3... at lowest.

This is the worst screw job I've ever seen by the selection committee. The fact that the chairman said that they were trying to send a message about the OOC schedule is garbage. That's a cop out and an excuse to put shitter teams above better teams. What try don't realize is they're screwing the higher seeds that have to play Mich St, Louisville, Kentucky, and others. Also, it completely removes any discussion of the strength of the conference... which should be just as an important as the non-conference schedule.

Bottom line is this, it's a push by the NCAA to force better matchups earlier in the year so they can capitalize financially off a better early season schedule. It's all about money. SMU was screwed because the NCAA wants more money. Witchita State was screwed because the NCAA wants more money. They are holding collegiate athletics hostage. They've just about lost football (probably coming within the next 5-10 years) and if they keep this crap up the BCS schools will pull out in basketball too.

For some reason, I half expect UK to lose in first round. Normally when people are already talking about a 2nd round matchup of 1/8 seed, the 9 seed ends up winning.

Don't get me wrong, I see UK getting to the 2nd round, but it will be interesting to see what happens. Im not sure if there were some Hoosier alumni on the committee, because they wanted to make damn sure no one went undefeated this year. That is just a murder's row of games if you are WSU.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
maybe some Kansas people too trying to stack the deck. Can't be interrupting rock chalk Jay hawk.

in the end, it's all about money though. that terrible scam of an organization in Indy sent a message that they want big time match ups early, or else... Gotta make that money, because after all, the NCAA's bottom line is obviously what's going to result in the betterment of student athletes, right?

PassInterference
03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
High profile early matchups does seem to be a priority. They are doing that more and more in football with early season bowl games like they one we played in last year.

msstate7
03-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Kentucky will take out Wichita st

mic
03-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Take a look at who is on the committee.. Its a joke. They don't watch enough and a few probably don't watch any basketball outside their school to make the decision on who gets in and who doesn't.. And the seeding is ridiculous..
Get BASKETBALL people in there to help and have input. Ex coaches, players, basketball TV guys that know these teams ..
Not AD's and conference commissioners..

smootness
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's much of a screw-job at all. There are always complaints about the seeding and then after the first round, everybody forgets about it. There were a lot of 'good' teams this year, more than normal...so it makes sense that you would look at the 3/4 line and think those teams deserve a higher seed.

Michigan State deserves no more than a 4, period. You can make the argument Louisville deserves more than a 4, but it would be solely a subjective argument, and the committee has proven over time they don't care about 'the eye test'. It's all about your resume.

Kentucky is a classic 8 seed - they aren't that good. They're playing a little better coming down the stretch, but they lost to South Carolina not too long ago. Wichita State should handle them pretty easily; Kentucky's guard play is generally terrible.

And I can pretty much guarantee that either Michigan State or Louisville doesn't make the Sweet 16, just because that's generally how things work out.

Quaoarsking
03-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Meh, people say this about the bracket every year. And then the tournament starts and everyone gets over it.

Should SMU have gotten in ahead of NC State? Probably. And Southern Miss and Missouri had even better resumes than NC State. But whatever. They'll never please everyone with the brackets, and I think it was pretty good this year. Louisville had an RPI of 19. If they'd gotten a 1 or 2 seed, people would be howling about that. (Granted, the RPI isn't a great formula)