PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Fishing Trip Report

BeastMan
03-16-2014, 03:59 PM
ME and a couple guys from inland MS made our trip down to the MS GC to unwind and hopefully catch some fish. Conditions were not great. Overcast skies and the wind picked up big time at around 9amish. Got rained on for a bit. Not a banner day by any means but a typical March trip. Boxed 6 sheepshead and a puppy drum. Never found the trout and only the reds we landed were rats.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf444a495.jpg

We ended up having a blast though. Any time a group of guys gets to get away from everything a wet a line is a great thing. The few fish were just a bonus. Ya'll know I had to whip up some dinner on Saturday. Redfish (from last weekend), ribs, baked beans, slaw, garlic bread.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc7b0bef7.jpg

The fishing was weird. We bounced around a few stops and got nothing. Then we found all these fish at either the 3rd or 4th stop. It was consistent action and I thought we were about to fill the box and then it started raining and it shut down. We fished through the rain and nothing else at that spot. We moved and changed tactics and only got some rat reds. If it wouldn't have rained for that 10 minutes I think we would have cleaned up at that location. All in all a great time though.

State82
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
What's your thoughts on sheepshead as table fare and what's your best method for cooking them? Same as the reds?

BeastMan
03-17-2014, 09:01 AM
What's your thoughts on sheepshead as table fare and what's your best method for cooking them? Same as the reds?

They are fantastic. Better than reds. Some folks call them bay snapper. You can cook them any want.

SpeckleDawg
03-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Nice mess of sheepies. Those will eat great, but every time I clean some, I swear I'll never keep another one! The weather was definitely a bust down here this weekend, but it looks like y'all made the most of it. The trout will be turning on real soon if we can just get some decent weather days strung together. March is a tough month for MS trout fishing. Did y'all fish the BSL area?

BeastMan
03-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Naw. We were in Biloxi. Hid from the wind in fort bayou

FISHDAWG
03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=SpeckleDawg;149834]Nice mess of sheepies. Those will eat great, but every time I clean some, I swear I'll never keep another one!

ha - electric fillet knife = sheepshead in cooler
hand fillet knife = sheepshead throwback
sheepies eat pretty good but are a huge pain to fillet ..... I got carried away a couple years ago in late march when nothing much was biting and kept about thirty sheeps ..... now, that's a lesson I won't soon forget as I had to battle the "no-see-um's" at the cleaning table for about two hours ... #brutal

BeastMan
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
They aren't that bad. Not exactly fun but the meat is worth it. I learned how to clean them from a YouTube video. Start from the spine and cut down and avoid the rib cage at the bottom.

How I do>> http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LzxCWhGEL9Y

Barking 13
03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm jealous... I finally got out after a 4 month slump yesterday..(since Thanksgiving) I had one freakin bite.. A 5+ bass (saw it) nailed a crank at the end of a tree about 5 ft from the boat, made a run and popped the line... rookie mistake not retying after being dormant for several months.. all my line has turned into slinky.. going to have to get a new big spool of Izorline and get to work...

Barking 13
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM
and that meal looked pretty dang good too...;)