PDA

View Full Version : I know how folks feel here about Minshew but check this out

whosyourdawgy
03-16-2014, 03:35 PM
https://twitter.com/rivals_robbie/status/445285941121667072

I just don't want to miss out on the best pro style qb to come up in MS in a long time. The kid is smart and studies the game and is gonna be a good one

HailState39110
03-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I like the kid but we haven't had a lot of luck with short QBs (Favre) . I saw him play last year and if you had to pick someone he reminds you of is Chase Daniels . I'm sure if we miss on our top 2 or 3 targets I could see us offering

HoopsDawg
03-16-2014, 03:46 PM

I just don't want to miss out on the best pro style qb to come up in MS in a long time. The kid is smart and studies the game and is gonna be a good one

As long as Mullen is our coach, I want no part of pro-style QB's...Period!

whosyourdawgy
03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
He is about 6 2 right now and a solid 215 or so. He isn't short. He's not 6 5 but what does that matter in all honesty? The kid gets it and this board loves IT

Todd4State
03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
It would be a shame to miss out on him especially if he goes somewhere else and does well.

I think whomever we take at QB is going to have to do well at the Big Dawg Camp no matter what. I think Dan and Brian are going to want to see all comers and see who the best person to take it.

I still am of the opinion that we should take both Minchew and Smith. Both are very good IMO. Let both of them compete and the best player gets the job. I think it could be positive if we do it correctly where they are both basically pushing and challenging each other to get better.

As much as I like Minchew, I think J'Mar Smith is also very good.

And FWIW- the great Rosebowl had J'Mar Smith ranked 14th and Minchew ranked 16th, which I thought was interesting.

Todd4State
03-16-2014, 03:48 PM
I like the kid but we haven't had a lot of luck with short QBs (Favre) . I saw him play last year and if you had to pick someone he reminds you of is Chase Daniels . I'm sure if we miss on our top 2 or 3 targets I could see us offering

If he's 6'2"- he's the exact same height as Joe Montana. And if he's 215, he's closer to Dak's size than Dylan Favre's.

Todd4State
03-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Minchew is going to have to train to become more of a dual threat QB for sure. There's no doubt about that. And I think that will be one of the things that Dan and Brian will be looking at with him.

If he can get up to 220-225 while increasing his speed a little bit by the time camp comes around, it would be hard not to take him with his football IQ. He does need to increase his arm strength a tick as well.

Political Hack
03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
I think he's a can't miss talent who could run in out offense as well if not better than Tyson Les did. Staley isn't a run first guy either. We're not scared to take the best QB. I can't begin to understand why some folks continually fail to see this...

esplanade91
03-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Alex Smith is one of the most underrated rushers of all time. All I can remember from those Urban Utah years is Alex gutting people up the left side for 15 when he couldn't find an open receiver.

Don't let TR ruin the Mullen-pro passer for you. He was a statue back there, but there are a lot of guys who can get it done. TR not being a threat to pick up yards with his feet really limited his passing effectiveness.

mic
03-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I agree he would be a good pick up for us , but we will probably only take one QB in the 2015 class. And I doubt he is in the top 3 on our big board..

MSUDawg4Life
03-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I agree he would be a good pick up for us , but we will probably only take one QB in the 2015 class. And I doubt he is in the top 3 on our big board..

Agreed.

I don't see us taking two QBs two years in a row.

M.Fillmore
03-16-2014, 09:48 PM
I saw Dylan Favre play in high school, at MSU and at Pearl River. He flew by the seat of his pants (which Minshew certainly does not). When Favre was really on he was really good. I just never saw him "on" past high school.

I wouldn't compare the two.

preachermatt83
03-16-2014, 09:53 PM

agree 100%

HancockCountyDog
03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
I just don't want to miss out on the best pro style qb to come up in MS in a long time.

Who was the last great pro style QB to come up in MS? His name was Tyler Russell and that debate is over.

I hope the kid does great things, just not against MSU. Mullen was forced to take Russell as his QB signee, despite the fact that he fit Mullen's offense about as well as Tyson Lee. Mullen doesn't have to take QB's due to in state pressure.

thf24
03-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Who was the last great pro style QB to come up in MS? His name was Tyler Russell and that debate is over.

I hope the kid does great things, just not against MSU. Mullen was forced to take Russell as his QB signee, despite the fact that he fit Mullen's offense about as well as Tyson Lee. Mullen doesn't have to take QB's due to in state pressure.

I don't think Tyler is proof that Mullen can't use a pro-style QB effectively. While Tyler has an incredible arm, he never did look comfortable going through the progression and getting the ball out quickly. In my opinion, that hurt his effectiveness much more than the system did. That and not using a power back alongside him to keep the defense honest in short yardage situations.

That being said, I'd still rather have a dual-threat QB under Mullen.

Coach66
03-17-2014, 08:42 AM

best fit for the Mullen system or Ole Miss for that matter. He probably should go to a place where his skills will be valued
and he has a chance to develop to the next level. He needs to do what is best for him at this point.

Jack Lambert
03-17-2014, 08:51 AM

He is not 6' 2". I have stood next to him several times and I am 6'1" and he is not as tall as me.

smootness
03-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Staley isn't a run first guy either.

Staley runs far better than Minshew does; they're not really comparable. Staley wasn't really a 'run-first' guy in HS, but he could absolutely do it when he wanted to. Their offense was just built more around the quick pass game.

Staley will run our offense pretty similarly to the way Prescott does. He is 6'7", about 240, and can run well. We will let him do so routinely.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Staley runs far better than Minshew does; they're not really comparable. Staley wasn't really a 'run-first' guy in HS, but he could absolutely do it when he wanted to. Their offense was just built more around the quick pass game.

Staley will run our offense pretty similarly to the way Prescott does. He is 6'7", about 240, and can run well. We will let him do so routinely.

I actually see Minshew as a better downfield runner than Staley. if Minshew had half the arm strength of Staley he'd be a 4 star kid. That's the hold up. He's fine athletically despite not being required to run in his HS offense. Staley will be a grinder with his size and being able to plunge run for 3-6 yards a pop when needed. Minshew runs to open space well.

War Machine Dawg
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM

You get it. This offense is built around the threat of the QB as a runner. When you don't have that, you get stagnant.

hacker
03-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I get the dual threat thing completely. But I've also watched Minshew's tape. The kid can run the ball. I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get him.

engie
03-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I like Minshew -- he's a distant relative of mine -- and I'd love to see him end up in maroon and white(a pretty real possibility we can get him as a walk-on -- rumor is his grades will give him a free ride to basically anywhere he wants to go -- and he just MAY love MSU that much) but having not seen them both together, I still prefer J'Mar Smith for his "fit" and "ceiling" in the offense. Pretty sure J'Mar could play other positions as well. His athleticism is off the charts.

That said -- some things may change with Johnson here in our approach to QB recruiting -- and I'm fine with that. It's nice to have options at the position instead of one or two prospects that we've got our fingers crossed about.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
I get the dual threat thing completely. But I've also watched Minshew's tape. The kid can run the ball. I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get him.

stupid people gonna stupid.

War Machine Dawg
03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
stupid people gonna stupid.

Everyone tried telling us Tyler Russell was a pro-style QB who could run the ball, too. Used the same tired comparison to Alex Smith. We all know which side wound up right about that one. Bottom line, in today's college football unless you're an Alabama or LSU with a massive NFL quality OL, you better go with a highly mobile QB. Defenses are too damn fast to be stuck with immobile pocket passing QBs. The only way that works now is if said immobile QB is a future NFL QB.

sandwolf
03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Everyone tried telling us Tyler Russell was a pro-style QB who could run the ball, too. Used the same tired comparison to Alex Smith. We all know which side wound up right about that one. Bottom line, in today's college football unless you're an Alabama or LSU with a massive NFL quality OL, you better go with a highly mobile QB. Defenses are too damn fast to be stuck with immobile pocket passing QBs. The only way that works now is if said immobile QB is a future NFL QB.

Anyone that had seen Tyler Russell play and had half a brain knew that he was not a legitimate threat to run the ball. Minshew is in no way comparable to Russell. I do not know anything about his size, but I have watched his highlights and he can run the ball well enough to at least be a threat that other teams would have to account for......that was never the case with Russell.

smootness
03-17-2014, 04:46 PM
I actually see Minshew as a better downfield runner than Staley. if Minshew had half the arm strength of Staley he'd be a 4 star kid. That's the hold up. He's fine athletically despite not being required to run in his HS offense. Staley will be a grinder with his size and being able to plunge run for 3-6 yards a pop when needed. Minshew runs to open space well.

I'm not saying we shouldn't want Minshew. I'm just saying that based on his tape, he doesn't run as well as Staley does. You're underestimating Staley's athleticism. He is 6'7" and big, but he is by no means a 'grinder'. He can get it to the outside and take it to the house as well.

He won't be a great change-of-direction guy, but neither is Prescott. I guarantee you Staley is faster than Relf.

preachermatt83
03-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't want Minshew. I'm just saying that based on his tape, he doesn't run as well as Staley does. You're underestimating Staley's athleticism. He is 6'7" and big, but he is by no means a 'grinder'. He can get it to the outside and take it to the house as well.

He won't be a great change-of-direction guy, but neither is Prescott. I guarantee you Staley is faster than Relf.

I will be mocked for this statement but in the end I will be the one who is right.... STALEY=CAM! BOOM!

Johnson85
03-17-2014, 05:29 PM
I think he's a can't miss talent who could run in out offense as well if not better than Tyson Les did. Staley isn't a run first guy either. We're not scared to take the best QB. I can't begin to understand why some folks continually fail to see this...

That's a surprising choice of words to praise him coming from somebody that wants us to give the guy a scholly.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
That's a surprising choice of words to praise him coming from somebody that wants us to give the guy a scholly.

Tyson Lee ran the ball incredibly well in our offense considering his size and limited time in the offense. He couldn't see over the LOS. That was his hold up. The reason we almost made a bowl that season was due to the running game between he and Dixon.

Tyler has straight line speed, but he knocked knee'd. Always had been. he grew out of it some, but he's not an agile runner by any means. To compare him against Minshew is incredibly misleading.

Also, I've reviewed a tape or two before and brought staffs' attention to talented football players who were then offered. I'm telling you right now, Minshew can run the ball and is a better natural runner than Staley will be in our system. I would expect Staley to be a tougher runner but he's going to be a big bruiser type who's a hell of a pocket passer.

This love affair with "run first" QB's is absurd. They're trying to strike a balance. Minshew, Fitz, Dak, and Staley all got that mold. The hold up on Minshew is NOT his wheels. It's his arm strength.

whosyourdawgy
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Engie, Gardner will not be walking on anywhere. He just won the MVP at the Alabama Rivals camp over arguably better talent than he would've faced in Hattiesburg. He is about 6 1 1/2 right now and closer to 220 than 215 and still growing. Everyone dogs his arm strength but I just don't understand that either. He can make all the throws and can zip it when he needs to. I think this is one of those wait and see guys that when the first offer rolls in, several others will follow. He has been to both Starkville and Hell enough to know the staffs well and know where he stands with each. I'm just telling all of you that this kid is football smart beyond his years and is gonna be a very good college qb for some lucky team. He is not going to be a running qb. He is plenty mobile enough to work the pocket and can read defenses better than anyone that was on our roster the last 4 years. He may not, well at this time, probably will not end up in Starkville. I just don't want him to go to a team we face every stinking year and us have to watch him pick our asses apart for 2 or 3 years. I don't ever predict how high school kids will be in college but this kid is gonna be a good one. Maybe the new qb coach will look at his tape and see something that can get things rolling our way. I'm not showing my want for him to be a Bulldog am I?

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 07:05 PM
his arm strength is a question. doesn't mean it's poor. he just hasn't shown it on his film.

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Engie, Gardner will not be walking on anywhere. He just won the MVP at the Alabama Rivals camp over arguably better talent than he would've faced in Hattiesburg. He is about 6 1 1/2 right now and closer to 220 than 215 and still growing. Everyone dogs his arm strength but I just don't understand that either. He can make all the throws and can zip it when he needs to. I think this is one of those wait and see guys that when the first offer rolls in, several others will follow. He has been to both Starkville and Hell enough to know the staffs well and know where he stands with each. I'm just telling all of you that this kid is football smart beyond his years and is gonna be a very good college qb for some lucky team. He is not going to be a running qb. He is plenty mobile enough to work the pocket and can read defenses better than anyone that was on our roster the last 4 years. He may not, well at this time, probably will not end up in Starkville. I just don't want him to go to a team we face every stinking year and us have to watch him pick our asses apart for 2 or 3 years. I don't ever predict how high school kids will be in college but this kid is gonna be a good one. Maybe the new qb coach will look at his tape and see something that can get things rolling our way. I'm not showing my want for him to be a Bulldog am I?

All we as Joe Fans can do is go off of what we have seen thus far- and that's why people are saying the things that they are. If he has improved, we will all see It for ourselves next season, and I do think he can and will get there. You probably have some inside information and therefore insight that a lot of us don't have- but can't assume either.

Minshew coming in as a walk-on would be the best thing for us- and it would help us out because we could use another spot in our class on another scholarship player while getting an athletic scholarship caliber QB in Minshew who could potentially help us. One thing that Ole Miss has done a lot better than us historically is getting those Matt Luke types to walk-on and then finding them aid.

If I was Dan I would make it very clear why I would want him to walk on and also very clear that I intend to give him a more than fair chance to win the QB job during his time at MSU. We basically did the same thing with Tyson Lee. I would also make it clear that we are going to keep recruiting J'Mar Smith as well.

preachermatt83
03-17-2014, 07:34 PM
he is not 6'2... he's not 6'1 1/2... he's lucky to even smell 6 foot. his arm is questionable. His does not fit our offense well. j'mar is better we are not going to take two qb's in this class. end of story. The ONLY way he will ever be in Maroon and White is as a walk on.

whosyourdawgy
03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
OK, whatever you say preachermatt. But you are wrong. Look, I know you and others aren't high on him and think j'mar is head and shoulders above him and everyone else for that matter, but Gardner Minshew has started at a 6A school in MS for 3 years already and will lead Brandon again this year. How many high school qb's start for 4 years? Not many. He won the QB MVP in Birmingham over the weekend. J'Mar didn't at Hattiesburg. I've linked the pictures from the Birmingham camp where he won the mvp. Look at his pic then click the back arrow to see the pic before that for the 6'2" Dekalyn Metcalf from Oxford who as a junior won the WR MVP there. Minshew is right there with him in height by lookin at the 2 dudes beside them. It's still way early and we have a long way to go til next signing day. If Minshew can have a breakout season which has already been solid, it will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/mvp-awards-birmingham-slideshow/

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 08:16 PM
While we are splitting hairs on height- J'Mar is also listed at 6'1".

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
OK, whatever you say preachermatt. But you are wrong. Look, I know you and others aren't high on him and think j'mar is head and shoulders above him and everyone else for that matter, but Gardner Minshew has started at a 6A school in MS for 3 years already and will lead Brandon again this year. How many high school qb's start for 4 years? Not many. He won the QB MVP in Birmingham over the weekend. J'Mar didn't at Hattiesburg. I've linked the pictures from the Birmingham camp where he won the mvp. Look at his pic then click the back arrow to see the pic before that for the 6'2" Dekalyn Metcalf from Oxford who as a junior won the WR MVP there. Minshew is right there with him in height by lookin at the 2 dudes beside them. It's still way early and we have a long way to go til next signing day. If Minshew can have a breakout season which has already been solid, it will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/mvp-awards-birmingham-slideshow/

Not to get in the middle of this debate but J'mar will be a 4yr starter at a 6A school also. Concerning the Rivals camp shouldn't a pocket passer do better than a dual threat kid? The camp is basically staying in the pocket making passes not including any of what makes a dual threat qb dangerous. Part of the reason no dual threat guys ever win or get invited to the Elite 11 finals.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
J'Mar is an incredible athlete. Minshew is an incredible QB. I hope the end up with both somehow.

what's hilarious to me is that people were drooling over the Garrett kid from Tupelo 5-6 years ago. Minshew is the same QB in the pocket times two and more athletic.

hacker
03-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I posted this in a previous thread, but I'll do it again.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/4UMXxm.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/KO0ga2.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/0A1kMa.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/wnHdjg.gif

whosyourdawgy
03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Not to get in the middle of this debate but J'mar will be a 4yr starter at a 6A school also. Concerning the Rivals camp shouldn't a pocket passer do better than a dual threat kid? The camp is basically staying in the pocket making passes not including any of what makes a dual threat qb dangerous. Part of the reason no dual threat guys ever win or get invited to the Elite 11 finals.

Agree with this 100 percent. It's making throws and doing drills. The pocket passer is gonna do better than the qb that uses his legs more. But I don't know about you but I want my qb to be able to do well in those drills too and most dual threats get this better once in college. It's also not having to read defenses or make decisions. Just make throws. And Minshew with his weak arm and all won over some pretty good qb's from 'Bama. But Minshew's biggest strength to me is reading D's and making the right throw.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Agree with this 100 percent. It's making throws and doing drills. The pocket passer is gonna do better than the qb that uses his legs more. But I don't know about you but I want my qb to be able to do well in those drills too and most dual threats get this better once in college. It's also not having to read defenses or make decisions. Just make throws. And Minshew with his weak arm and all won over some pretty good qb's from 'Bama. But Minshew's biggest strength to me is reading D's and making the right throw.

I agree I do want my qb able to do that but I also realize a kid like Gardner is at an advantage due to his style plus the offense he's currently in. No diff than Dak going to a passing camp with Aaron Murray, Mett, & McCarron. Those guys would all throw better than Dak but Dak is still the qb I'd want leading our team.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Anyone that had seen Tyler Russell play and had half a brain knew that he was not a legitimate threat to run the ball. Minshew is in no way comparable to Russell. I do not know anything about his size, but I have watched his highlights and he can run the ball well enough to at least be a threat that other teams would have to account for......that was never the case with Russell.

Tyler Russell- aka "The Statue" rushed for 3 times as many yards his Sr year as Minshew did as a Jr. Minshew barely rushed for over 100 yards on THE SEASON.

DONT WASTE OUR TIME AND THIS KID'S CAREER-DO NOT WANT

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
J'Mar isn't Dak. He'd be more like Mariotta than anyone we've ever had.

Political Hack
03-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Tyler Russell- aka "The Statue" rushed for 3 times as many yards his Se year as Minshew did as a Jr. Minshew barely rushed for over 100 yards on THE SEASON.

incredible.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2014, 09:44 PM
J'Mar isn't Dak. He'd be more like Mariotta than anyone we've ever had.

Sign me up for that. I'd take it.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
incredible.

Hack- you were still trying to tell us 3/4 of the way thru last season Russell was a better QB than Dakota

Minshew is a career back-up at State and doesn't fit what we do

hailmari
03-17-2014, 09:59 PM
What we do now might not what we're doing in two years. Mullen and his offense may not be here by then. If he can walk on, then hell yeah, we're prepared.

Coach34
03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Minshew is not walking on at State- he is going to go to the SunBelt or somewhere and lead Rice to a bowl game

engie
03-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Minshew is not walking on at State- he is going to go to the SunBelt or somewhere and lead Rice to a bowl game

Don't be so sure.

His heart is 100% Dawg. His grades put him at school for free wherever he wants to go in the SEC sans Vanderbilt.

We've got a legit shot to get him even without a scholarship offer -- as long as he's guaranteed a fair chance and a scholly if/when he earns it.

WYD -- please spare me on the "not walking on anywhere" line. I have pretty good insight on him. Better personal insight than any other recruit in the last couple of classes.

Todd4State
03-17-2014, 11:52 PM

I don't think so. Just because you are a dual threat QB doesn't mean you aren't a good passer or decision maker. Look at Dak. Sure, he has had to learn and make progress- but when he came out of high school he wasn't that bad at passing at all.

Vince Young and Tim Tebow were Elite 11 QB's coming out of high school- among others.

IMO the difference between the Elite 11 QB's in a lot of cases is they get a lot of private training whereas a guy like Dak or the QB's we normally get don't have that training and Dan has to kind of "catch them up". The exception being a guy like Jameis Winston who is a complete freak of a talent. But once Dan gets a guy like Dak caught up, he's every bit as good as just about anyone else in the SEC.

sandwolf
03-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Tyler Russell- aka "The Statue" rushed for 3 times as many yards his St year as Minshew did as a Jr. Minshew barely rushed for over 100 yards on THE SEASON.

So you are of the opinion that Russell was more mobile in the pocket and more capable in the running game than Minshew is? Based on the video I have seen of Minshew, I would have to disagree. And for the record, I am not saying that he fits Mullen's offense as well as J'Mar Smith does......I am just saying that he appears far more capable of running it than Russell was.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:05 AM
So you are of the opinion that Russell was more mobile in the pocket and more capable in the running game than Minshew is? Based on the video I have seen of Minshew, I would have to disagree. And for the record, I am not saying that he fits Mullen's offense as well as J'Mar Smith does......I am just saying that he appears far more capable of running it than Russell was.

No..

I'm saying that Russell rushed for over 300 yards his Sr year. The stats I saw on Minshew said he barely rushed for 100 this past year.

A QB that only runs for 100 yards in one season of HS doesnt belong in our offense

sandwolf
03-18-2014, 12:11 AM
No..

I'm saying that Russell rushed for over 300 yards his Sr year. The stats I saw on Minshew said he barely rushed for 100 this past year.

A QB that only runs for 100 yards in one season of HS doesnt belong in our offense

Fair enough.

esplanade91
03-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Brett Favre averaged 4 passes a game his senior year. Stats don't tell the whole story, evident in us giving Fitz a scholly this year.

Not advocating giving the guy a scholarship or allowing him to compete as a full ride academic walk-on. Just throwing that out there. I do put a lot of weight on a guy who's a 3 year starter in 6A who's picked up a lot of achievements on the way wanting to be at MSU more than any other school if he had the choice though...

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Brett Favre averaged 4 passes a game his senior year. Stats don't tell the whole story, evident in us giving Fitz a scholly this year.

Fitz getting a scholly shows you the importance of our QB's running the football.

Chris Relf was our leading rusher in 2010
Perkins had 3 more carries in 2013 than Prescott.

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 06:01 AM
Don't be so sure.

His heart is 100% Dawg. His grades put him at school for free wherever he wants to go in the SEC sans Vanderbilt.

We've got a legit shot to get him even without a scholarship offer -- as long as he's guaranteed a fair chance and a scholly if/when he earns it.

WYD -- please spare me on the "not walking on anywhere" line. I have pretty good insight on him. Better personal insight than any other recruit in the last couple of classes.

All I will say to this is you'd better get on your phone with your distant family because whoever is telling you this isn't as close as you think. There is ZERO chance of what you are saying will happen. I am no inside guy by any means, but there is a better chance of Rick Ray winning a national title next season than Gardner Minshew walking on at MSU. And I have never had insight to any recruit, but trust me on this one.

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 06:13 AM
Hack- you were still trying to tell us 3/4 of the way thru last season Russell was a better QB than Dakota

Minshew is a career back-up at State and doesn't fit what we do

Dak wasn't ready at the beginning of the season despite the fact that he took over late. He missed spring. Had never started. His first start he lost because we couldn't convert a 3rd down in 25 minutes. He wasn't ready.

Minshew may be a backup until he's a Sr at state with Staley in front of him, but to say he can't run the ball is ignorant. it's like suggesting Bret Favre couldn't throw the ball because he ran the wing-T in high school.

engie
03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
All I will say to this is you'd better get on your phone with your distant family because whoever is telling you this isn't as close as you think. There is ZERO chance of what you are saying will happen. I am no inside guy by any means, but there is a better chance of Rick Ray winning a national title next season than Gardner Minshew walking on at MSU. And I have never had insight to any recruit, but trust me on this one.

K.

MSUDawg4Life
03-18-2014, 08:49 AM
K.

Wow. A one-letter response from Engie? Conceding without a fight? What has this world come to?

Engie, are you alright? You must be sick this morning. :(

engie
03-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Wow. A one-letter response from Engie? Conceding without a fight? What has this world come to?

Engie, are you alright? You must be sick this morning. :(

"Conceding?" No.

I'm just not trying to argue with "know it alls" on a fluid recruiting situation 11 months before signing day. We will see. I never made a declarative statement in the first place -- I pointed to something that is a VERY DISTINCT possibility if he doesn't get other BCS offers. I always find it funny when people think they know what a kid is really thinking more than his blood relatives, probably because of stuff said by he/his parents in public settings -- which might as well be a press release saying "everyone that is interested, please recruit Gardner"...

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 09:32 AM
"Conceding?" No.

I'm just not trying to argue with "know it alls" on a fluid recruiting situation 11 months before signing day. We will see. I never made a declarative statement in the first place -- I pointed to something that is a VERY DISTINCT possibility if he doesn't get other BCS offers. I always find it funny when people think they know what a kid is really thinking more than his blood relatives, probably because of stuff said by he/his parents in public settings -- which might as well be a press release saying "everyone that is interested, please recruit Gardner"...

I don't know it all about anything or anyone. I don't know it all about Gardner Minshew. But I do know why he went to Birmingham instead of Hattiesburg. I do know what his dad said about your walk on comment. K. It ain't happening. And I am not going to argue with you either. I want what is best for Minshew. I would love to have him at MSU and would love to see him be a great qb for us in about 3 years after Dak is gone. But he is not a read option qb and will not be running the ball except on very few occasions or when the pass is not there and he runs. So that means he is not a fit for Dan's system right now. Whether Dan would do anything to change his approach for a qb like Gardner is the question, and the answer is probably not. So, unless there is something that Dan and Johnson see over this next high school football season that they will change for him, Minshew will probably not be wearing maroon. I hate it because qb's with his potential don't come up in MS very often.

Oh, and I typically love your insight and analysis on recruiting about things I have no knowledge of. But your insight on this one is just not correct. You are actually one of the main posters that I will stop and read what's said. Love what you do on the Rant and typically agree with you way more than I disagree. Just as a fyi

engie
03-18-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't know it all about anything or anyone. I don't know it all about Gardner Minshew. But I do know why he went to Birmingham instead of Hattiesburg. I do know what his dad said about your walk on comment. K. It ain't happening. And I am not going to argue with you either. I want what is best for Minshew. I would love to have him at MSU and would love to see him be a great qb for us in about 3 years after Dak is gone. But he is not a read option qb and will not be running the ball except on very few occasions or when the pass is not there and he runs. So that means he is not a fit for Dan's system right now. Whether Dan would do anything to change his approach for a qb like Gardner is the question, and the answer is probably not. So, unless there is something that Dan and Johnson see over this next high school football season that they will change for him, Minshew will probably not be wearing maroon. I hate it because qb's with his potential don't come up in MS very often.

Oh, and I typically love your insight and analysis on recruiting about things I have no knowledge of. But your insight on this one is just not correct. You are actually one of the main posters that I will stop and read what's said. Love what you do on the Rant and typically agree with you way more than I disagree. Just as a fyi

Like I said. K. I'm not trying to argue with you about it -- I simply know more about this than what his dad is saying in public -- and the fact that you keep taking the same position about it is perplexing to say the least. No one with a lick of sense that is trying to get recruited or has ever played the recruiting game are going to even CONSIDER PUBLICLY the possibility of walking on somewhere -- especially not a year in advance. That lowers their likelihood of actually being given a scholarship, even when they are good enough. "Why pay for something you can get for free"? That's not how the recruiting game works. That doesn't mean something entirely different isn't being discussed behind closed doors(because it is).

Fact - Minshew is a lifelong Bulldog fan -- from a multi-generational lifelong bulldog family that comes to countless football games every year of ours. We are his dream school.
Fact - Brandon is an MSU feeder school. Always basically has been. Rankin County overall is an MSU stronghold.
Fact - At least 2 former teammates of Minshew's are going to be Dawgs.
Fact - MSU "costs" him the same amount of money out of pocket as a walk-on or scholarship player. No difference. And he has a chance to earn a football scholarship like Beckwith, Cherry, etc have done. We've got a long history of awarding deserving walk-ons scholarships.

So, knowing all this, are you taking an athletic scholarship to play at podunk U in front of 20,000 with NO ONE that you previously knew or were associated with -- or are you chasing your dream to play in front of 60k plus at your dream school?

When you've got the academics to cover the money side of things -- these decisions aren't NEARLY as black and white as they are in other circumstances. The term "football scholarship" becomes trivial and meaningless.

ckDOG
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Speaking of Tyler, is he planning on working out for any teams in hopes of getting a free agent shot? Is he healthy enough to give it a shot? Would love to see the kid have an opportunity. Still think he could have developed into an incredible college QB in the right system...

whosyourdawgy
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
I didn't know you could have too many private messages so you couldn't receive one. Engie, clean some out so I can send you one.

hacker
03-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Minshew may be a backup until he's a Sr at state with Staley in front of him, but to say he can't run the ball is ignorant. it's like suggesting Bret Favre couldn't throw the ball because he ran the wing-T in high school.

Agreed. Watch the video. Stats can be misleading sometimes.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Ya'll do know that Brett played HS ball in the 1980's when it was rare any HS program threw more than 10 passes in a game in Mississippi right? That's not a real good example. Shit, Troy Aikman went to Oklahoma to run the Wishbone because he could run a little bit in HS- major college football is a different level. If you arent good enough to be used as a runner on the HS level- because that is a huge weapon in HS- you wont be a runner in the SEC.

Ya'll sound like everybody that told me Russell was a serviceable runner in HS and how he ran for 1st downs vs South Panola.

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Russell was a serviceable runner in high school. he won the 5A state championship in over time with a TD run. Seems "servicable" to me. But, just like Minshew, what you do in high school doesn't always translate to what you'll be in college.

Suggesting that he can't run is no different than Favre or Aikman (thanks for that one too. good example). It's no different than Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates. It's simply a question of athleticism. When he's throwing for 25 TDs and 5 INTs, completing 60% of his passes, and averaging 9 yards per attempt... you throw the ball more.

Also, his run to pass ratio is about 10 to 1 his Jr year. Taysom Hill, of BYU fame, has a 9 to 1 ratio. And comparing sophomore seasons between the two, Minshew had 1 more carry than Hill. Guess Hill can't run either...