PDA

View Full Version : Vandy rotation

DudyDawg
03-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I think it's pretty clear we need Ross to start, probably Friday IMO, and would also likely start Fitts, but who else do you have? Brown, Lindy, Woodruff can all start, but I'm not completely confident in one to be able to shut down Vandy

Raytoraid83
03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I expect Brown to go on Sundays now.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Ross saturday, not friday

thedawg
03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I just don't know about Ross... He has been really really good in his other role and we have a chance to get two wins with him... If u start him and then don't hit he has been wasted.. If u bring him in with a lead no matter when it is in the game it's basically game over

Coach34
03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
We may never have a lead if we dont start him. I personally wouldnt match Ross up with Beede on Friday

Mitchell would be my Saturday start the rest of the season. He will win us 6-7 of the remaining 9

thedawg
03-15-2014, 06:15 PM
OK so Fitts or Bracewell go Friday?

shoeless joe
03-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Mitchell on Saturdays and fitts on Sundays will win a lot of series. Woody is the one guy with the stuff to match up on a Friday, but if he can't find the plate early and we find ourselves down a couple runs to other aces that's no good. But in all reality with what we have that may be the way to go.

I would have no problem starting bracewell again next Friday or even brown on Friday assuming Mitchell and fitts are the starters the rest of the weekend.

Coach34
03-15-2014, 06:24 PM
I would start Woody on Fridays and either he pitches to his ability or we get our brains bashed in. Too much talent to waste and he is likely gone come draft time

shoeless joe
03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I would start Woody on Fridays and either he pitches to his ability or we get our brains bashed in. Too much talent to waste and he is likely gone come draft time

Yeah I would lean that way for sure.

But we do have a couple options to think about.

thedawg
03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't hate that plan on Woody but he needs to have a short leash and when he gets in trouble we need to follow up with Bracewell or Preston Brown not Sexton or Tatum...

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-15-2014, 06:31 PM
We may never have a lead if we dont start him. I personally wouldnt match Ross up with Beede on Friday

Mitchell would be my Saturday start the rest of the season. He will win us 6-7 of the remaining 9

And 1

Todd4State
03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
At this point, I don't think we have any other choice but to go Ross, Fitts, and Preston. I expect to see Woodruff on midweek.

This is almost our worst case scenario playing out. Woodruff isn't 100% back, Young has a hurt arm, Bracewell hasn't done well lately and Hudson and Sexton both aren't ready.

But at least we have some guys that are getting the job done.

Todd4State
03-15-2014, 06:59 PM

I think the hope at this point is to pitch him midweek and hopefully he figures it out at some point.

DudyDawg
03-15-2014, 08:49 PM
My worry is that if you start woody on Friday and we get drummed, we have no momentum for the rest of the series no matter who starts Saturday. It would be hard to consistently win series agains elite teams after a game one thrashing that crushes our confidence for the weekend.

engie
03-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Think I'd let Preston try Friday -- with Ross available in relief for 20 pitches or less in a jam. Then start Ross Sunday. Basically like OM used Head -- just using him in middle relief instead of closing on Friday...

Either way, Ross throwing Sunday and being available in a jam on Friday is how we get the maximum production out of him IMO... Much prefer this to burning him Friday or Saturday and not having him at all at any other point in the weekend...

shoeless joe
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
My worry is that if you start woody on Friday and we get drummed, we have no momentum for the rest of the series no matter who starts Saturday. It would be hard to consistently win series agains elite teams after a game one thrashing that crushes our confidence for the weekend.

Momentum in baseball is only as good as your next days starting pitcher.

Getting crushed on Friday would do nothin as far as lowering our confidence...see this past series. That said we do have options. Woody just has the most upside and, if on, could go head to head with anyone's ace. But brow on Friday certainly should be considered as should bracewell again.

HoopsDawg
03-15-2014, 09:16 PM
... Much prefer this to burning him Friday or Saturday and not having him at all at any other point in the weekend...

burning him Friday or Saturday? I hardly call getting a complete game win burning him. It's a no brainer that Ross should be our starting Saturday pitcher the rest of the year. Hopefully he can keep eating innings on Saturday so we will have a full pen for Sunday's game.

I would give Woody one more shot with a quick hook for Lindgren. Then Mitchell on Sat and Fitts on Sunday. One or two more bad outings for Woody and I would switch to Brown.

Todd4State
03-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Think I'd let Preston try Friday -- with Ross available in relief for 20 pitches or less in a jam. Then start Ross Sunday. Basically like OM used Head -- just using him in middle relief instead of closing on Friday...

Either way, Ross throwing Sunday and being available in a jam on Friday is how we get the maximum production out of him IMO... Much prefer this to burning him Friday or Saturday and not having him at all at any other point in the weekend...

This is a very interesting idea. I liked how we used Fitts, then Lindgren and then Holder today. If it were me, I would try Preston Brown on Sunday this week just to see how he does against Vanderbilt and then switch it up if he performs well.

engie
03-15-2014, 10:02 PM
This is a very interesting idea. I liked how we used Fitts, then Lindgren and then Holder today. If it were me, I would try Preston Brown on Sunday this week just to see how he does against Vanderbilt and then switch it up if he performs well.

I think Saturday is pretty set. Think it'll be pretty consistently good going forward too. Without Woody at 100% and firing on all cylinders, Friday games are going to be an uphill battle regardless...

preachermatt83
03-15-2014, 10:02 PM

This X1000000

preachermatt83
03-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Preston- Friday*
Ross- Sat**
Fitts/Lingo- Sun***

* I'd have Preston starting to give us what he could and have Gentry in the long relief role.. I really believe Gentry can be similar to what Girado was.

**Ross's bullpen relief (if needed) would be Hudson, due to such a contrast in styles.

***I'd give Fitts the start with 3-4 innings with Lingo waiting in the wings..

preachermatt83
03-15-2014, 10:10 PM
oh and I'd let Bracewell and Cox tag team the mid week.

bully99
03-15-2014, 10:11 PM
So you're taking Bracewell and woody out of the equation.

preachermatt83
03-15-2014, 10:14 PM
So you're taking Bracewell and woody out of the equation.

no, Bracewell can throw midweek and be available out of the pen on Sundays if needed. And Woody should only be used in situations where we are way up or way down until he proves he can get it done. Im not sure he can.