PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Henderson

mk1984
03-14-2014, 12:40 PM
We all know how much we dislike Henderson and for the life of me I cannot figure out why all the media goes nuts over him. I mean last night I felt like the announcers were so happy when he started making threes consistently it's like they were waiting for it all game. So I tried to think back to a good shooter at state that I could compare stats to. The only one I could come up with was Ravern Johnson. So here are the stats from both Henderson's and Johnson's Sr years. In 29 games Henderson has shot 35.2% from three on 361 attempts and averages 19 points per game. In 28 games Johnson shot 40.3% on 206 attempts and averaged 17.6 points per game. First off if I was a coach and and had a guy averaging 12 threes a game he would have to at least make 45%. Just a side note our top two shooters in attempts that year shot a total of 319 threes still 42 less than Henderson. Any way if Ravern would have attempted as many threes at his SR percentage that would have pushed his average close to 25 points a game. Any way all this to say I do not understand all the love henderson gets and think any NBA willing to take a chance on him is just plain stupid. Rant over please let me know what I am missing on him that the media sees all I see is a drug head who acts a fool on the basketball floor.

Brad Stevens
03-14-2014, 12:48 PM
We all know how much we dislike Henderson and for the life of me I cannot figure out why all the media goes nuts over him. I mean last night I felt like the announcers were so happy when he started making threes consistently it's like they were waiting for it all game. So I tried to think back to a good shooter at state that I could compare stats to. The only one I could come up with was Ravern Johnson. So here are the stats from both Henderson's and Johnson's Sr years. In 29 games Henderson has shot 35.2% from three on 361 attempts and averages 19 points per game. In 28 games Johnson shot 40.3% on 206 attempts and averaged 17.6 points per game. First off if I was a coach and and had a guy averaging 12 threes a game he would have to at least make 45%. Just a side note our top two shooters in attempts that year shot a total of 319 threes still 42 less than Henderson. Any way if Ravern would have attempted as many threes at his SR percentage that would have pushed his average close to 25 points a game. Any way all this to say I do not understand all the love henderson gets and think any NBA willing to take a chance on him is just plain stupid. Rant over please let me know what I am missing on him that the media sees all I see is a drug head who acts a fool on the basketball floor.

As much as I dislike him, I have to give him credit. The guy can flat out shoot. He can make set shots, fading back, falling sideways, or turn completely around and still put a shot up that may go in. I would hate to have him as a teammate or as a player (if I was the coach), but he very rarely misses shots badly. Nothing seems to take his confidence away. Now, I don't know if any NBA team would take a risk on a smaller white kid that isn't great defensively, but I bet he can make a bunch of money draining 3s overseas somewhere.

thf24
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
all I see is a drug head who acts a fool on the basketball floor.

That's exactly what appeals to the media. There's a narrative there they can sell. Without the cocaine and taunting opposing players and fans, all he'd appear to be is a decent shooter who takes way too many bad shots, someone the media couldn't care less about.

coastdoglover
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
You are entirely correct and he may make 3 or 4 in a row but he is not a great shooter and particularly when he takes bad shots. Add that in to the fact he is a primma donna and I would think many of his teammates don't really like him. People forget he has missed more three point attempts than anybody in the league's history. TV people are not always that smart but they love the hype. I hope Georgia sends them packing tonight and sends them to the NIT. Kennedy puts up with him because he was much like him in college, never saw a shot he didn't like.

mk1984
03-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Just for reference I looked at current leaders in the NBA in 3 point percentage he would currently rank 72nd. Sorry I just don't see a great shooter. Obviously he is a better shooter than anyone we have but that is not saying much.

mk1984
03-14-2014, 01:05 PM
thf24 you are exactly correct it is really sad the world we live in today and how all off field/court issues can be forgotten if you can preform when in the spotlight.

chef dixon
03-14-2014, 01:07 PM
He is definitely a great shooter. Keep in mind he probably didn't shoot an open 3 all season long.

slickdawg
03-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Didn't someone post he has more missed 3's than anyone else in the country? He's not that great. He's Randy Stewart on drugs.

MaxedOutMaroon
03-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Just for reference I looked at current leaders in the NBA in 3 point percentage he would currently rank 72nd. Sorry I just don't see a great shooter. Obviously he is a better shooter than anyone we have but that is not saying much.

Along with that: In the NBA the two guard is a lot different than college. He would have players a lot better on defense and a lot taller (D. Wade); therefore, his percentage would be worse than it is now. Putting him probably around 100+ in rankings. No one will risk getting someone who has no self-control and party scrub. He will go play in Amsterdam and just have the time of his life. If he gets on an NBA roster, it's not because of his play, it will be the publicity.

Extra note, this is my first post and I love the "topic review" section. It's very helpful.

gravedigger
03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Jeff Malone from the early 80s and Marshall couldn't hold Jeff's jock with Kennedy's help.

Jeff played without a three pt line.

jumbo
03-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Didn't someone post he has more missed 3's than anyone else in the country? He's not that great. He's Randy Stewart on drugs.

He averaged 8 MISSED 3's per game. That's insane. He really isn't the "great shooter" everyone thinks he is. Sure he scored 21 pts last night, but he took 19 3's to get there. He took 21 shots. 19 of them were 3's.

I could average 10pts a game in the SEC if I got to take as many shots per game as he does

smootness
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
He is unquestionably a great shooter. To make 35%+ with the kind of 3's he has to take on a consistent basis takes a phemonemal ability to shoot. The question is whether or not it's good for the team for him to be shooting so many shots where he's off-balance and fading away so that he only makes that percentage.

If you make 33% then it's effectively the same as someone shooting 50% from inside the arc. So he's not really hurting them. But the question is, if he took a few less 3's a game but was able to get himself a little more open on the ones he did take because of that, and those attempts from him behind the arc were replaced with either someone else shooting more open shots or a better look inside, would they be better off? I say yes. You also miss out on some FTs by shooting so many outside jump shots as well. But obviously teams do not want him shooting a lot of open looks based on the way they defend him.

I feel like if he was just a spot-up shooter somewhere shooting 5-6/game, he'd make over 40% without a problem.

thf24
03-14-2014, 02:07 PM
I feel like if he was just a spot-up shooter somewhere shooting 5-6/game, he'd make over 40% without a problem.

I agree, but you have to consider the fact that he could not be easily made to play that way. The ability is nothing without the presence of mind to put it to its best use. The fact that he's going to shoot the ball when he gets regardless of what the circumstances of that moment in the game are relegates him to being a decent shooter at best.

Brad Stevens
03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
I agree, but you have to consider the fact that he could not be easily made to play that way. The ability is nothing without the presence of mind to put it to its best use. The fact that he's going to shoot the ball when he gets regardless of what the circumstances of that moment in the game are relegates him to being a decent shooter at best.

If you put him in a 3 point contest (which he might be in at the end of the year), I bet he kills it. That's the sign of a good shooter. He may not be a good shot-selector, and he may have too quick of a trigger, but he is most definitely a very good shooter.

mic
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
If you put him in a 3 point contest (which he might be in at the end of the year), I bet he kills it. That's the sign of a good shooter. He may not be a good shot-selector, and he may have too quick of a trigger, but he is most definitely a very good shooter.

I bet he actually may be a worse spot up 3 pointer shooter than he is when he is coming of screens or on the move. Seemns like every 3 he makes is coming off screens on the move. I wonder how many #'s he made when he was spot up and not on the move.. But yeah he can def shot the rock no doubt about that with lots of range.
But that is basically ALL he can do. Cant handle it that great for a 2, Cant create his own shot with ball in hand, cant defend..
Im not sure he would be able to play in an offense that wasn't all geared for him. Just about ever offensive set OM has is for Henderson.

thf24
03-14-2014, 03:57 PM

True. I suppose it's a matter of talent versus effectiveness. I don't deny whatsoever that he's extremely talented, I'm just saying he's only marginally effective as a shooter in a real game due to his mentality.

I will say that in a scenario where you need a 3 to win or tie and you know you don't have time to get a spot-up shooter open, I'd take him over anyone else.

scottycameron
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
the main difference between him and Ravern is that Ravern wouldn't have tons of threads started about him on OM boards, irregardless of percentages, points, etc.

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Bob Knight would murder Marshall Henderson for never using the shot fake.

mullenite
03-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Why do you all continue to talk about this cat? Who friggan cares whether he is good or whether he goes to the NBA or what he ate for breakfast?!?! HE DOES NOT MATTER!!