PDA

View Full Version : Joe Dean Jr.

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 07:22 AM
I think this guy does a good job and represents MSU very well during these broadcasts. I also think he reads this board so hi Joe and keep up the good work. Nice dig about "whose the new shooting coach" he threw out last night. He brought up an excellent point. Did you guys see how much better we were when we shot the ball great for the first 1.5 games? Not rocket science right? Shoot the ball well and we win. So what's the harm in hiring a new assistant coach that has a track record of developing shooters? We have room to add a coach. That's called a win win fellas. We get a new assistant coach. And we get a shooting coach. All in the same person. If this was football some of you would be screaming till you're blue in the face to hire a special teams coach for example. Well here's me once again asking for a new assistant coach that can develop shooters. What's the harm? We have the room.

Political Hack
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
well, we need to hire a rebounding coach too then.

bully99
03-14-2014, 07:30 AM
How about hiring a recruiter

Political Hack
03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
IJ Ready is good.

msstate7
03-14-2014, 07:49 AM
IJ Ready is good.

I like ready. If he can get stronger, I think he can be a nice pg in this league.

When we subbed bloodman in the second half, he promptly had two turnovers which were huge.

C222
03-14-2014, 07:56 AM
How about hiring a recruiter

Damn, you're still here?

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I like ready. If he can get stronger, I think he can be a nice pg in this league.

When we subbed bloodman in the second half, he promptly had two turnovers which were huge.

IJ Glass can play. Is IJ Glass tough though? SEC basketball is a tough sport to play. It takes toughness. He needs to see Coach Collins and drink some of that juice. Get on the weights.

msstate7
03-14-2014, 08:06 AM
IJ Glass can play. Is IJ Glass tough though? SEC basketball is a tough sport to play. It takes toughness. He needs to see Coach Collins and drink some of that juice. Get on the weights.

I agree. He has to be tougher, but I think he can be. He was forced to play too early this year.

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I agree. He has to be tougher, but I think he can be. He was forced to play too early this year.

He has to build it. He is a damn good freshman though. If we can just keep him on the floor. He's so fun to watch when he initially checks the inside and looks to drop passes down low. Once he develops the Chris Paul midrange stop and pop and a floater he can be All-SEC. Got to get tougher though. Sorry. It's a tough sport.

smootness
03-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Uh, the, 'who's the new shooting coach?' was a joke. As in, obviously teams don't go hire 'shooting' coaches so this will clearly be a joke when I say this.

He wasn't making a point. He was kidding. It's like saying, 'what did they put in the Gatorade today?' Clearly nothing...which is why it's a joke to make the point that we suddenly started shooting much better out of nowhere.

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Uh, the, 'who's the new shooting coach?' was a joke. As in, obviously teams don't go hire 'shooting' coaches so this will clearly be a joke when I say this.

He wasn't making a point. He was kidding. It's like saying, 'what did they put in the Gatorade today?' Clearly nothing...which is why it's a joke to make the point that we suddenly started shooting much better out of nowhere.

You can hire an assistant coach that can develop shooting too. It's not some unattainable skill that you either have it or don't. It can be developed.

smootness
03-14-2014, 09:07 AM
You can hire an assistant coach that can develop shooting too. It's not some unattainable skill that you either have it or don't. It can be developed.

Ok, then list for me some guys who came into college as bad outside shooters and became good ones through development.

I'm not saying you can't improve as a shooter. Of course you can. You may go from bad to passable; from passable to ok; from ok to pretty good; and from pretty good to good, etc. But you're not going to improve by leaps and bounds during the 4 years you're in college.

And what I am saying is that the best way to improve as a shooter is to shoot and shoot and shoot some more, not to get a 'shooting coach,' especially once you're already at the college level. More times than not trying to change someone's learned shooting motion at that point in their basketball career will lead to worse results as opposed to better...unless the player is willing to live in the gym and shoot enough that the entirely new stroke is ingrained and natural.

MarketingBully01
03-14-2014, 11:27 AM
I think this guy does a good job and represents MSU very well during these broadcasts. I also think he reads this board so hi Joe and keep up the good work. Nice dig about "whose the new shooting coach" he threw out last night. He brought up an excellent point. Did you guys see how much better we were when we shot the ball great for the first 1.5 games? Not rocket science right? Shoot the ball well and we win. So what's the harm in hiring a new assistant coach that has a track record of developing shooters? We have room to add a coach. That's called a win win fellas. We get a new assistant coach. And we get a shooting coach. All in the same person. If this was football some of you would be screaming till you're blue in the face to hire a special teams coach for example. Well here's me once again asking for a new assistant coach that can develop shooters. What's the harm? We have the room.

Would have made a heck of a hire as an Athletic Director and would have been better then Loafers in my opinion.

War Machine Dawg
03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Damn, you're still here?

+ infinity

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Ok, then list for me some guys who came into college as bad outside shooters and became good ones through development.

I'm not saying you can't improve as a shooter. Of course you can. You may go from bad to passable; from passable to ok; from ok to pretty good; and from pretty good to good, etc. But you're not going to improve by leaps and bounds during the 4 years you're in college.

And what I am saying is that the best way to improve as a shooter is to shoot and shoot and shoot some more, not to get a 'shooting coach,' especially once you're already at the college level. More times than not trying to change someone's learned shooting motion at that point in their basketball career will lead to worse results as opposed to better...unless the player is willing to live in the gym and shoot enough that the entirely new stroke is ingrained and natural.

Jesus dude it's a culture that has to be developed at this school. Does a baseball coach decide every player should not be taught correct hitting form/technique? Does a baseball coach decide every pitcher should not be taught correct form/technique? Does a golfer higher a swing coach? Does a tennis player hire a swing coach? Does a wrestler get instruction from his coach on form/technique? Does a boxer get instruction from his coach on form/technique and on and on and on. Yet you think the basketball mechanics involved and the muscle memory it takes to shoot a basketball is different from literally every single sport ever invented besides NASCAR that it doesn't require a person of superior knowledge to help instruct the pupil on said sport. Give the ASSISTANT COACH other responsibilities but I can ****ing promise the three coaches we got right now can not teach anybody how to shoot a basketball better. Smootness 101 "how to be a better basketball player....um just shoot over and over till you figure it out yourself". Caveman thinking brother.

esplanade91
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
MSU fans are obsessed with "shooting coaches" and it blows my mind. Shooting the basketball is 95% of the game of basketball. Every one of our coaches should be teaching how to shoot, and if a guy can't he should be replaced. This is like saying Michael Henig should hire a throwing coach.

If we have to hire a "shooting coach" we should just fire every one of our coaches and bring in a staff better at developing players. That's essentially what you're saying.

Larry Brown could be our coach and these guys aren't going to get much better. Talent (and depth) is why we're in this position to begin with.

smootness
03-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Jesus dude it's a culture that has to be developed at this school. Does a baseball coach decide every player should not be taught correct hitting form/technique? Does a baseball coach decide every pitcher should not be taught correct form/technique? Does a golfer higher a swing coach? Does a tennis player hire a swing coach? Does a wrestler get instruction from his coach on form/technique? Does a boxer get instruction from his coach on form/technique and on and on and on. Yet you think the basketball mechanics involved and the muscle memory it takes to shoot a basketball is different from literally every single sport ever invented besides NASCAR that it doesn't require a person of superior knowledge to help instruct the pupil on said sport. Give the ASSISTANT COACH other responsibilities but I can ****ing promise the three coaches we got right now can not teach anybody how to shoot a basketball better. Smootness 101 "how to be a better basketball player....um just shoot over and over till you figure it out yourself". Caveman thinking brother.

Ok, then tell me another school in the country who has a 'shooting coach'. Did Florida teach Joakim Noah to shoot differently? Have the Bulls? No? Why is that? Perhaps because it would potentially do more harm than good.

The reality is, in basketball a player has a lot of different responsibilities, and there are different ways to score. Joakim Noah, despite being a horrific shooter, is a very, very good basketball player because of everything else he can do. There is no need to spend much time trying to teach Joakim Noah proper shooting form because it probably won't work and he's still valuable without being a great shooter.

It's similarly not worth it to try to dramatically change anyone's hitting form, so what you see are tweaks. Hitting coaches are worth it because a baseball swing has more moving parts and is easier to screw up than a basketball shot. Everyone knows what proper shooting form, it isn't difficult.

The question is simply whether it's worth it to overhaul someone's shooting motion. Past history everywhere will tell you that all basketball coaches think it isn't. If a guy has a horrible shooting motion, he's just going to have a horrible shooting motion - you can either get rid of him or use what he does do well. If a guy can tweak his motion to get better results, you can do that, and it is done all the time. Even at Mississippi State. If you can't see a difference in Sword's FT motion from last year to this year, then I can't help you. He was a better shooter all the way around this year.

But if you're expecting any coach to turn Craig Sword into JJ Redick, it just isn't going to happen. Same way you may get Dan Uggla to improve his stroke but you won't ever turn Dan Uggla into Chipper Jones.

A 'shooting coach' is something you made up and decided on your own that State absolutely had to have and are now criticizing the HC for not hiring one. It's insane. Our shooting is improving, just as you wanted. But you just can't turn a subpar shooter into a great one through teaching proper shooting motion at this stage in someone's life. You either have it or you don't.

And I'm sorry you don't see the value in repetition, but even if you change someone's form the key is going to be repeating it enough times that it becomes second nature. All you want in a shooting motion is a repeatable motion in which you know generally where the ball is going to end up. The easiest way to get that is the traditional shooting motion but that doesn't mean it's the only way. Shawn Marion has a horrific shooting motion and he is a better shooter than most people in the world because he is able to repeat it. It generally works for him.

Just wondering - do you know how Rick Barry shot FTs?

Percho
03-14-2014, 05:35 PM
He has to build it. He is a damn good freshman though. If we can just keep him on the floor. He's so fun to watch when he initially checks the inside and looks to drop passes down low. Once he develops the Chris Paul midrange stop and pop and a floater he can be All-SEC. Got to get tougher though. Sorry. It's a tough sport.

Case in point: Mike Conley went to early and wasn't strong enough. That is where he has improved the most plus his shooting.

Dawg61
03-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Repeat after me. ASSISTANT COACH ASSISTANT COACH ASSISTANT COACH. Don't recruit players that have totally jacked up shooting mechanics. That is a requirement from the new coach. Recruit guys they can develop. Schools like Butler, Creighton, and Gonzaga develop better shooting. It's part of their culture. We can have that too. We can always have 4-5 guys on our team every year that are above average shooters. It has to be committed to from the top and on down. We don't need 13 3point shooters but we'd be a consistently much much better basketball program if we just had 4 guys that can shoot 3s at a 35% and better clip.