PDA

View Full Version : Best 30 for 30

mk1984
03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I am watching some of the 30 for 30 series on netflix what are some of your favorites that I need to go back and watch?

M.Fillmore
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
I liked Pony Excess (SMU), four days on October (Red Sox comeback versus Yankees), the U (Miami Hurricanes). There are probably a lot more.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I liked "The Best that Never Was", it was the Marcus Dupree story. My second favorite was the Jim Valvano one.

smootness
03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Dupree and the Fab Five. I also liked the USFL one. They're all good, though, honestly. I liked the Allen Iverson one, too.

After watching Dupree's HS tape and his freshman highlights at Oklahoma (while somewhat out of shape and banged up), no one will ever convince me there has ever been or ever will be a RB better than that. If he had the drive to be good at football, he would have literally been unstoppable. There's not a thing in the world you can do to stop 6'3", 230 with sprinter speed and the ability to run over anyone. Herschel Walker on steroids.

mk1984
03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
I recently watched the Allen Iverson one and thought it was pretty good also

messageboardsuperhero
03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
My favorites are the one on Marcus Dupree and the one on Steve Bartman.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Oh, I forgot about the FabFive; that's definitely one of my favs.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Pony Excess, The U and Best That Never Was.

LC Dawg
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
After watching Dupree's HS tape and his freshman highlights at Oklahoma (while somewhat out of shape and banged up), no one will ever convince me there has ever been or ever will be a RB better than that. If he had the drive to be good at football, he would have literally been unstoppable. There's not a thing in the world you can do to stop 6'3", 230 with sprinter speed and the ability to run over anyone. Herschel Walker on steroids.

My son was 17 when this came out and I made him watch it with me. The high school tape was kind of grainy and my son said he didn't really see what the big deal was. Then the Oklahoma highlights came on and my son just quit talking and stared at the tv. It was fun to see the reaction of someone who had never seen Dupree play before. My son just watched in awe for a while and then he said that Barry Switzer is an idiot, and I agreed.

maroonmania
03-13-2014, 03:06 PM
My favorites are the one on Marcus Dupree and the one on Steve Bartman.

Yep 2 of the very best, "The Best That Never Was" and "Catching Hell". I also enjoyed the one on Bo Jackson just because I still think he is the best all around athlete I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.

PassInterference
03-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Pony Excess, The U and Best That Never Was.

Agree with this and I would add the one on Ricky Williams. During Ricky's marijuana-based sabbatical from the NFL, he had a video documentary guy (before the days of 30 For 30) follow him around and document his life. The 30 For 30 is loaded with stuff from that film.

smootness
03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
My son was 17 when this came out and I made him watch it with me. The high school tape was kind of grainy and my son said he didn't really see what the big deal was. Then the Oklahoma highlights came on and my son just quit talking and stared at the tv. It was fun to see the reaction of someone who had never seen Dupree play before. My son just watched in awe for a while and then he said that Barry Switzer is an idiot, and I agreed.

I was the same way. I had always heard his name but just assumed he was a classic 'bust'. Nope, not even remotely close to a bust. I've never seen anything like his Oklahoma highlights. The video of him running all over ASU's defense, which apparently was #1 or #2 in the country that year, on a bum leg as a true freshman was honestly pretty breathtaking. Once you saw his size, you expected him to be a guy who had trouble out-running people, but he accelerated away from DBs consistently with ease. Just stunning.

And yes, Switzer was an idiot. Biggest mistake of his career, according to him. And the sad thing is that Dupree said after he watched the documentary that if Switzer had just told him at the time what he told the doc crew, that he treated Dupree the way he did in order to keep the upperclassmen from being jealous, there would have been no problems.

It's one of those stories that in some ways you wish we had been able to see what could have materialized yet he was so ridiculously good for that time frame that you just know how good he was anyway so it doesn't matter.

PassInterference
03-13-2014, 03:24 PM
And yes, Switzer was an idiot. Biggest mistake of his career, according to him. And the sad thing is that Dupree said after he watched the documentary that if Switzer had just told him at the time what he told the doc crew, that he treated Dupree the way he did in order to keep the upperclassmen from being jealous, there would have been no problems.

Tell a 17 year old kid that and he'll quickly repeat it when he pokes his chest out in front of upperclassmen.

This kind of situation is a real challenge for coaches. No everybody doesn't have a Dupreee. But often times a young guy comes up who is better than the upperclassmen and you have to manage it.

We have seen that Mullen is loyal to upperclassmen. He will give a young guy some PT when he earns it, but he is still biased to upperclassmen. So I guess that's how he does it.

maroonmania
03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Tell a 17 year old kid that and he'll quickly repeat it when he pokes his chest out in front of upperclassmen.

This kind of situation is a real challenge for coaches. No everybody doesn't have a Dupreee. But often times a young guy comes up who is better than the upperclassmen and you have to manage it.

We have seen that Mullen is loyal to upperclassmen. He will give a young guy some PT when he earns it, but he is still biased to upperclassmen. So I guess that's how he does it.

Yep, and we are seeing Cohen is the same way.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
One that isn't ever talked about that I thought was exceptional was "The Two Escobars". The story of how drug lord Pablo Escobar contributed to Columbia's success in international soccer and how the Columbian player named Escobar was killed for scoring an own goal in the World Cup. Fascinating story

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
I was the same way. I had always heard his name but just assumed he was a classic 'bust'. Nope, not even remotely close to a bust. I've never seen anything like his Oklahoma highlights. The video of him running all over ASU's defense, which apparently was #1 or #2 in the country that year, on a bum leg as a true freshman was honestly pretty breathtaking. Once you saw his size, you expected him to be a guy who had trouble out-running people, but he accelerated away from DBs consistently with ease. Just stunning.

It's one of those stories that in some ways you wish we had been able to see what could have materialized yet he was so ridiculously good for that time frame that you just know how good he was anyway so it doesn't matter.

What we REALLY saw with Dupree were the effects of "The Posse" on a kid and the culture of everyone having their hand out. Ken Fairley ruined him moreso than Switzer ever did. It's sad to see athletes who can't tell the hood or the good ol' boyz to stay the hell away from them.

dawgs
03-13-2014, 03:41 PM
One that isn't ever talked about that I thought was exceptional was "The Two Escobars". The story of how drug lord Pablo Escobar contributed to Columbia's success in international soccer and how the Columbian player named Escobar was killed for scoring an own goal in the World Cup. Fascinating story

I've seen it mentioned lots of other places as the best or one of the best. I personally think it's the best. But I wouldn't expect a msu sports board consensus to think it's the best.

maroonmania
03-13-2014, 03:50 PM
"Catching Hell" about Steve Bartman is actually my favorite and that's only because I am totally fascinated by the fact that a totally unknown sports fan could attend a game to support his favorite team and basically have his life ruined. It just amazes me that that was even possible and ACTUALLY happened.

LC Dawg
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
"Catching Hell" about Steve Bartman is actually my favorite and that's only because I am totally fascinated by the fact that a totally unknown sports fan could attend a game to support his favorite team and basically have his life ruined. It just amazes me that that was even possible and ACTUALLY happened.

This is one of my favorites. It's really hard to believe but without protection that guy may have died that night.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
I've seen it mentioned lots of other places as the best or one of the best. I personally think it's the best. But I wouldn't expect a msu sports board consensus to think it's the best.

I thought it was great too. I enjoyed "The U" the second most. I hated the Len Bias and Allen Iverson shows.

Will James
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I liked the one going around the OJ chase day

Dallas_Dawg
03-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Pony excess and Marcus Dupree are the best. The one about Michael Jordan playing baseball was good too. Reggie Miller vs the Knicks was entertaining

sleepy dawg
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Marcus Dupree and Bo Jackson... 2 of the most amazing athletes of all time that I still feel never reached their full potential (especially dupree).

Rayburn8
03-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Winning time(Reggie miller) is my favorite I have it on my phone for when I get bored and After that the U the bo Jackson then Dupre. Roll ride/war eagle is a good one and as a basketball fan I can't wait for this one coming up on the big east

LeakyD
03-13-2014, 08:27 PM
I agree that the one on Dupree was interesting because it was a local story. Some of the highlights were against my high school. It's easy to feel sorry for him because people took advantage of him. However, he was extremely lazy. Quay Evans seems to be a similar story. Talk to some people from Philly and they will tell you the same. He also called Cecil Price a good guy. He's an idiot. Price treated him different because of football.

The CJ Johnson recruitment turned me off to him also. I'm almost certain OM tried to use Dupree to get to CJ. Dupree tweeted about the big recruiting weekend on numerous occasions. Dupree is fortunate that this documentary renewed some interest in his story.

bgdog
03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Fab Five
The U
The best that never was

I could probably watch all of them though I think I'm doing the two escobars next which I believe is supposed to be the best one they've made.

Sports related but not a 30 for 30, Senna, holy shit that documentary was excellent

thunderclap
03-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Two Escobars was incredible.

Quaoarsking
03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Along with several already mentioned, "Once Brothers" about the Yugoslavian basketball team was really interesting.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Along with several already mentioned, "Once Brothers" about the Yugoslavian basketball team was really interesting.

Agree. This one is about Vlade Divac

smootness
03-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Just rewatched the Dupree doc. There are no words to describe how good he was.

I never believed that Dupree was involved in the CJ Johnson recruitment in any way. First, why would he care if Johnson went to Ole Miss vs. State? Second, the guy lived in Tallahassee, FL, not Philadelphia, MS.