PDA

View Full Version : Woodruff

Tough Dawg
03-13-2014, 10:31 AM
He's out of the weekend rotation. This kid unfortunately is borderline being a pretty big bust. So far situations like this is when he should have taken the money out of high school. Hindsight I know.

CadaverDawg
03-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Has Cohen announced the weekend rotation for this weekend? What is it?

Bob Sacamano
03-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Friday - Bracewell
Saturday - Fitts
Sunday - TBA

Per @hailstateBB

preachermatt83
03-13-2014, 10:54 AM
yes!! Sunday will be brown if he can go... Best rotation we can put out there and some of us have been calling for it for 3 weeks now.. YES!

MafiaDawg
03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
I have no sympathy for guys who have all world talent but can't figure it out between the ears.

preachermatt83
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
I have no sympathy for guys who have all world talent but can't figure it out between the ears.

I agree.. However I am not so sure that maybe we were overestimating his initial ability.

Sandman14
03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree.. However I am not so sure that maybe we were overestimating his initial ability.

Garbage. Pure garbage.

Someone with inside knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but as the other post indicated, this is an example why you ALWAYS take the money out of high school. The kid came in and was awesome, as expected, but began to have arm issues. With pitchers, it's weird. You can have things happen with your arm and suddenly find that your fastballs don't have the natural movement they formerly had. Or maybe you lose some control or velocity. It's a sad case because he had the option to cash in. Maybe not life-changing money, but worth a ton more than some injury-plagued college campaign with no highlights. The risk is just too great. Take the money and assume you won't make the bigs. If you do, great. If you don't, go right back to college (and play football if you can).

I feel nothing but sympathy for Woody. He's the man. He's always been the man. He was the man in high school, and he was the man once he got to MSU. He's still the man. Only his arm won't do what it formerly was capable of doing. His body has failed him.

I say scratch the pitching for this year and get him in the outfield. He's an awesome talent all the way around. Didn't he play in the outfield some as a freshman?

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Scratch it and start hitting? His stuff isn't the problem. It's still big league stuff. It's his command. He has had a hard time reading his arm side run and his cutter away from arm side. It's not like he's Evan Mitchell and can't come close to the plate. His misses are around the plate. I'm not saying he should start fri. He shouldn't. However, I repeat, if we want to be really good he will have to be a factor. If he isn't, and he might not be, we will be nothing more than an avg club.

Steakonastick
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM
I still bet he starts on Sunday. Only exception would be if lindgren does not throw before then. Cohen is not going to start Preston Brown after throwing 101 pitches Wed.

Now if we lay an egg Sunday. We will see brown next Sunday.

messageboardsuperhero
03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Scratch it and start hitting? His stuff isn't the problem. It's still big league stuff. It's his command. He has had a hard time reading his arm side run and his cutter away from arm side. It's not like he's Evan Mitchell and can't come close to the plate. His misses are around the plate. I'm not saying he should start fri. He shouldn't. However, I repeat, if we want to be really good he will have to be a factor. If he isn't, and he might not be, we will be nothing more than an avg club.

I agree with everything except this. He's not missing by too much, and his stuff is still really good.

We can't reach our potential without Woodruff, but we could still be a good team if he doesn't contribute- we essentially had one starter last season and that worked okay for us.

bully99
03-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Florida announced Karsten Whitson won't be in their rotation. How do you think this guy feels, Didn't pitch last year because of arm problems and now he's in the bullpen. He turned down 2.1 million out of high school.

CadaverDawg
03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
I still bet he starts on Sunday. Only exception would be if lindgren does not throw before then. Cohen is not going to start Preston Brown after throwing 101 pitches Wed.

Now if we lay an egg Sunday. We will see brown next Sunday.

Bingo

engie
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Why do our fans always do this? It's premature as hell to be calling him any sort of bust.

We should cut Girodo and Pirtle too shouldn't we? Stratton should have been long gone before his JR year breakout as well...

He's struggled a little with command. That's it. He's going to get there for us when it really counts...

Sandman14
03-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Last year, once we shut him down, he never pitched again. My point is that if we get there this season, seems to me he should be working elsewhere. He was good enough to see the field as a true freshman.

Karston Whitson is an even better example than Woodruff.

2012: Dual-position performer with starting and reserve duty in 16 games as a corner outfielder and pitcher • Came off the bench to make his collegiate debut in right field and registered his first career hit Feb. 25 against Mississippi Valley • Drew his first career start later that day in left field vs. Kansas • Collected his first career RBI Feb. 29 with a run-scoring single in a start vs. Memphis • Made 12 pitching appearances, posting a 1-2 record with a 2.65 ERA over 34.0 innings • Retired three of the five batters he faced in a shutout inning of pitching in his mound debut March 4 vs. Lipscomb • Registered six strikeouts in a 3.1-inning relief stint at Southeastern Louisiana March 14 • Fanned a career-high eight batters in his first career pitching start against South Alabama April 10 • Blanked the Jags with no-hit pitching over a season-best six innings and retired 18 of the 19 batters he faced • Took the loss April 17 with a 3.2-inning start against Ole Miss in the Mayor’s Trophy Game in Pearl, Miss. • Also pitched four innings of shutout ball April 24 in a no-decision start against Southern Miss in a game which was also in Pearl, Miss. • Yielded just one run but took the loss in a four-inning start in a 2-0 setback against Central Arkansas May 15 • Earned his first career win in a May 22 start vs. Arkansas with five scoreless innings in State’s SEC Tournament-opening 9-1 win in Hoover, Ala. • Drew the start again in the SEC Tournament title game against Vanderbilt May 27, blanking the Commodores over three innings with one-hit pitching • One of seven Bulldogs named to the SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll • Played summer league baseball in the Cape Cod Collegiate League, posting a 4-2 record and 3.38 ERA for the champion Harwich Mariners.

HIGH SCHOOL: Five-year starter as an outfielder/pitcher at Wheeler High School • Coached by John David Horn • Led the Eagles with a .618 batting average and three home runs en route to all-state and all-division honors as a senior • Drove in 19 runs and posted a 1.62 ERA in 21.2 innings of mound work for the Eagles • Paced Wheeler with a .534 batting average and five home runs as a junior • Selected to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-American Baseball Game held at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Ill. • Fashioned a 5-3 record with a save, a 2.98 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 49.1 innings of pitching • Earned first-team all-division honors • Division MVP and First-Team MAC All-State as a sophomore in 2009 after hitting .565 with 31 RBIs, nine home runs, a 3-3 pitching record, a 1.20 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 18 innings of pitching • Also earned first-team all-division honors in both football and basketball • Member of the Future Farmers of America (FFA), the Beta Club, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Wheeler High School’s Higher Flight Chorus • Played summer league baseball for two seasons with the Booneville Braves, coached by Shane Henderson, and in 2010 and 2011 with the Tupelo 49ers, coached by former MSU signee and first-round draft pick Kirk Presley • Helped lead Tupelo to the championship game of the American Legion World Series in Shelby, N.C. • Joined Bulldog teammate Will Cox on the all-tournament team and was named the recipient of the James Daniel Jr. Sportsmanship Award at the ALWS.

DRAFT HISTORY: Chosen by the Texas Rangers in the fifth round of Major League Baseball’s 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

PERSONAL: Born Brandon Kyle Woodruff on Feb. 10, 1993 in Tupelo, Miss. • Son of Belinda and Richard Woodruff of Wheeler, Miss. • Majoring in kinesiology.

engie
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Last year, once we shut him down, he never pitched again. My point is that if we get there this season, seems to me he should be working elsewhere. He was good enough to see the field as a true freshman.

Karston Whitson is an even better example than Woodruff.

2012: Dual-position performer with starting and reserve duty in 16 games as a corner outfielder and pitcher • Came off the bench to make his collegiate debut in right field and registered his first career hit Feb. 25 against Mississippi Valley • Drew his first career start later that day in left field vs. Kansas • Collected his first career RBI Feb. 29 with a run-scoring single in a start vs. Memphis • Made 12 pitching appearances, posting a 1-2 record with a 2.65 ERA over 34.0 innings • Retired three of the five batters he faced in a shutout inning of pitching in his mound debut March 4 vs. Lipscomb • Registered six strikeouts in a 3.1-inning relief stint at Southeastern Louisiana March 14 • Fanned a career-high eight batters in his first career pitching start against South Alabama April 10 • Blanked the Jags with no-hit pitching over a season-best six innings and retired 18 of the 19 batters he faced • Took the loss April 17 with a 3.2-inning start against Ole Miss in the Mayor’s Trophy Game in Pearl, Miss. • Also pitched four innings of shutout ball April 24 in a no-decision start against Southern Miss in a game which was also in Pearl, Miss. • Yielded just one run but took the loss in a four-inning start in a 2-0 setback against Central Arkansas May 15 • Earned his first career win in a May 22 start vs. Arkansas with five scoreless innings in State’s SEC Tournament-opening 9-1 win in Hoover, Ala. • Drew the start again in the SEC Tournament title game against Vanderbilt May 27, blanking the Commodores over three innings with one-hit pitching • One of seven Bulldogs named to the SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll • Played summer league baseball in the Cape Cod Collegiate League, posting a 4-2 record and 3.38 ERA for the champion Harwich Mariners.

HIGH SCHOOL: Five-year starter as an outfielder/pitcher at Wheeler High School • Coached by John David Horn • Led the Eagles with a .618 batting average and three home runs en route to all-state and all-division honors as a senior • Drove in 19 runs and posted a 1.62 ERA in 21.2 innings of mound work for the Eagles • Paced Wheeler with a .534 batting average and five home runs as a junior • Selected to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-American Baseball Game held at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Ill. • Fashioned a 5-3 record with a save, a 2.98 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 49.1 innings of pitching • Earned first-team all-division honors • Division MVP and First-Team MAC All-State as a sophomore in 2009 after hitting .565 with 31 RBIs, nine home runs, a 3-3 pitching record, a 1.20 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 18 innings of pitching • Also earned first-team all-division honors in both football and basketball • Member of the Future Farmers of America (FFA), the Beta Club, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Wheeler High School’s Higher Flight Chorus • Played summer league baseball for two seasons with the Booneville Braves, coached by Shane Henderson, and in 2010 and 2011 with the Tupelo 49ers, coached by former MSU signee and first-round draft pick Kirk Presley • Helped lead Tupelo to the championship game of the American Legion World Series in Shelby, N.C. • Joined Bulldog teammate Will Cox on the all-tournament team and was named the recipient of the James Daniel Jr. Sportsmanship Award at the ALWS.

DRAFT HISTORY: Chosen by the Texas Rangers in the fifth round of Major League Baseball’s 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

PERSONAL: Born Brandon Kyle Woodruff on Feb. 10, 1993 in Tupelo, Miss. • Son of Belinda and Richard Woodruff of Wheeler, Miss. • Majoring in kinesiology.

For every ying, there is a yang.

What about Tyler Beede? Who is expected to go top 5 now -- after being picked 21st in high school?
What about Ryne Stanek? Who was picked 99th(3rd rd) in high school and went 29th after 3 years at Arkansas?

Just as many guys improve their draft stock by coming to college as hurt it.

bully99
03-13-2014, 12:27 PM
So you can pick out two players and extrapolate that theory...WOW

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I feel nothing but sympathy for Woody. He's the man. He's always been the man. He was the man in high school, and he was the man once he got to MSU. He's still the man. Only his arm won't do what it formerly was capable of doing. His body has failed him.
What a terrible way of looking at it. Brandon Woodruff, not Goat Holder of Sandman14, is responsible for making his own life decisions.

Sandman14
03-13-2014, 12:40 PM
What a terrible way of looking at it. Brandon Woodruff, not Goat Holder of Sandman14, is responsible for making his own life decisions.

Sure he is. And so are Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell. Who knows. Some people would rather drink purple nurple than be an NFL QB. It's just a commentary on what is the wisest move. You don't have to live wisely. It's a choice. Just sad when you don't live wisely and get bitten by it, as seems to be the case with where Woody is trending.

As for Beede, being 21st out of high school v. being 5th out of college....I'm sure there is a difference in the money, but these high school kids that go in the first round can leverage quite a bit of cash. I'm just not sold on that being anything more than a baseline. He certainly needed to improve or it would be a disaster. What do you want? OK so he went 5th. Big deal. He might be inking his second MLS contract, this one for $60MM, if he had gone on to MLB after being taken 21st.

It's a horrible argument and absolutely flat wrong to say that just as many kids improve their stock as those that end up regretting passing up big league cash (top 5 or 6 rounds).

SignalToNoise
03-13-2014, 12:41 PM
So you can pick out two players and extrapolate that theory...WOW

What theory? All he did was name two players that improved their draft standing by playing college baseball.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any other arguments or theories presented.

bully99
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Earth to Noise, Did you read engies last paragraph. SMH

missouridawg
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM

You're not so sure? You do realize he was a 5th round pick by the Rangers right?

Brandon has a problem repeating his throwing motion. That's why he's so wild. When he figure that out, just like Chris Stratton did, he'll be dominant.

When he figures that out, however, is up in the air.

engie
03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
What theory? All he did was name two players that improved their draft standing by playing college baseball.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any other arguments or theories presented.

You are engaging a fool. Best to just go ahead and block him and let him talk to himself...

Just as many players improve their draft position by going to college as drop off by going to college. It's really a common sense give and take proposition. It's harder to improve your slot the higher you go in high school obviously -- but there are still tons of examples of it happening. Well over 90% of all non-signed highschool draftees get redrafted.

bully99
03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Stick around engie, you might learn something.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Sure he is. And so are Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell. Who knows. Some people would rather drink purple nurple than be an NFL QB. It's just a commentary on what is the wisest move. You don't have to live wisely. It's a choice. Just sad when you don't live wisely and get bitten by it, as seems to be the case with where Woody is trending.

So why again do you feel sympathy for them?

Will James
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
If we don't need Lingo Fri or Sat we use him Sun. Simple and good strategy. Just need 5 critical innings from him over the weekends

maroonmania
03-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Garbage. Pure garbage.

Someone with inside knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but as the other post indicated, this is an example why you ALWAYS take the money out of high school. The kid came in and was awesome, as expected, but began to have arm issues. With pitchers, it's weird. You can have things happen with your arm and suddenly find that your fastballs don't have the natural movement they formerly had. Or maybe you lose some control or velocity. It's a sad case because he had the option to cash in. Maybe not life-changing money, but worth a ton more than some injury-plagued college campaign with no highlights. The risk is just too great. Take the money and assume you won't make the bigs. If you do, great. If you don't, go right back to college (and play football if you can).

I say scratch the pitching for this year and get him in the outfield. He's an awesome talent all the way around. Didn't he play in the outfield some as a freshman?

Yes, we made him a full time pitcher but was he drafted in the 5th round based on pitching ability? He was a highly sought after OF at the time as well.

Tough Dawg
03-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Why do our fans always do this? It's premature as hell to be calling him any sort of bust.

We should cut Girodo and Pirtle too shouldn't we? Stratton should have been long gone before his JR year breakout as well...

He's struggled a little with command. That's it. He's going to get there for us when it really counts...

Why is premature to call him a bust up to this point? You're telling me that as high as this kid was drafted out of HS he shouldn't have already contributed to MSU baseball in a substantial way already, am I understanding you correctly?

For comparison reasons: Woodruff was a 5-star recruit in football terms wouldn't you agree? What if Woodruff would have been a 5-star WR that hasn't contributed yet on the football field? At what point were we calling Quay Evans a bust? For any MSU fan to put the word "bust" and Brandon Woodruff in the same sentence is 100% warranted at this point in time. Woodruff's career in MSU baseball history is not finished by any means, but if it's a 10 chapter book Brandon's on Chapter 7-8.

Don't sugar coat it. It's reality. More of our fans need to not sugar coat things. And by the way...your Stratton comparison is a joke as I'm finding out you are. Stratton was not even drafted out of high school, so there was hardly any expectation for him to contribute early.

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 03:59 PM
If we don't need Lingo Fri or Sat we use him Sun. Simple and good strategy. Just need 5 critical innings from him over the weekends

I agree totally.

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes, we made him a full time pitcher but was he drafted in the 5th round based on pitching ability? He was a highly sought after OF at the time as well.

He was drafted as a pitcher. Period.

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Why is premature to call him a bust up to this point? You're telling me that as high as this kid was drafted out of HS he shouldn't have already contributed to MSU baseball in a substantial way already, am I understanding you correctly?

For comparison reasons: Woodruff was a 5-star recruit in football terms wouldn't you agree? What if Woodruff would have been a 5-star WR that hasn't contributed yet on the football field? At what point were we calling Quay Evans a bust? For any MSU fan to put the word "bust" and Brandon Woodruff in the same sentence is 100% warranted at this point in time. Woodruff's career in MSU baseball history is not finished by any means, but if it's a 10 chapter book Brandon's on Chapter 7-8.

Don't sugar coat it. It's reality. More of our fans need to not sugar coat things. And by the way...your Stratton comparison is a joke as I'm finding out you are. Stratton was not even drafted out of high school, so there was hardly any expectation for him to contribute early.

If he were a 5 star recruit he would be 1/3 of the way into his jr year. His so year of which was basically a year off bc he was never healthy. His fr year he was a pretty productive tr fr pitcher. So yea it's premature bc he still has major league stuff and he's shown flashes.

SignalToNoise
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
You are engaging a fool. Best to just go ahead and block him and let him talk to himself...

Just as many players improve their draft position by going to college as drop off by going to college. It's really a common sense give and take proposition. It's harder to improve your slot the higher you go in high school obviously -- but there are still tons of examples of it happening. Well over 90% of all non-signed highschool draftees get redrafted.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. Like you said, it was common sense and it took me by surprise that had to be explained to '99.

Tough Dawg
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Disagree. I'll wait to be proven otherwise and hopefully for MSU baseball I will. If you're a pitcher who is considered to have major league stuff then it should be pretty easy for you to at least contribute in the college game. Woodruff based on his projected talent and where he was drafted out of HS should be dominating in college baseball right now.

engie
03-13-2014, 04:24 PM
He has. You've got a real damn short memory.

For comparison reasons: Woodruff was a 5-star recruit in football terms wouldn't you agree?
Sure.

What if Woodruff would have been a 5-star WR that hasn't contributed yet on the football field?
We're 4 games into his rsSO season. Bust city**

At what point were we calling Quay Evans a bust?
Never to this day. A guy isn't a "bust" until his story is finished being told. But you "first sign of adversity" quitters don't know a damn thing about that. Cut Stratton, cut Girodo, cut Pirtle, cut Rea, why is Renfroe playing he's a strike out king!11!1. You need links to all of that stupidity I've read from people that are now active posters here?

For any MSU fan to put the word "bust" and Brandon Woodruff in the same sentence is 100% warranted at this point in time.
No it isn't. It's premature to be defining him period. He's had 1 healthy year. In which he dominated and won a number of huge games for us.

Don't sugar coat it. It's reality. More of our fans need to not sugar coat things.
Don't be the typical early quitting bitch in our fanbase that pisses me off to no end. How is that for sugarcoating?

And by the way...your Stratton comparison is a joke as I'm finding out you are. Stratton was not even drafted out of high school, so there was hardly any expectation for him to contribute early.
"A joke"? So why did all you resident dumbasses want him cut after his sophomore year while I and Todd told everyone what he was capable of?

Woodruff is a rsSO trying to regain command. He's got the stuff back. Got his speed, got his movement. Dealing with command issues. It takes a total ****ing moron to call that a "bust" when it's so damn obvious to anyone with a decent pair of baseball eyes how close he is.

preachermatt83
03-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Disagree. I'll wait to be proven otherwise and hopefully for MSU baseball I will. If you're a pitcher who is considered to have major league stuff then it should be pretty easy for you to at least contribute in the college game. Woodruff based on his projected talent and where he was drafted out of HS should be dominating in college baseball right now.

Gonna be hard to argue with this... I have been watching the World series run over and last night I watched Oregon St game, Indiana game, and second Oregon st game and guess what.... All three games we faced very good starting pitchers and every one was TRUE FRESHMEN. We need that. A guy that dominates as a frosh and to be honest what Tough Dawg is saying here is proven by this point.

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Going to be hard to poke many holes in that engie. Well I wouldn't but I'm sure someone will take a shot.

Todd4State
03-13-2014, 05:22 PM
As far as the draft and whether to go to college or not- the slotting system has changed everything. And I firmly believe that eventually there will be a worldwide draft which will push high school players even further down. If you get drafted in the fifth round nowadays- I'd have to look to see what the exact slot figure is, but it's less than a million dollars and it's certainly not enough to live your entire life off of. The only way you get life changing money nowadays is to be drafted in the top three rounds- or to convince a team to pay over the slot for you and that really only happens in an Anthony Alford type situation.

So, basically you have to weigh out a million dollars vs. an education IF you get drafted very high. When you consider what you can make as a doctor, lawyer, engineer, businessman over a career, it's actually about as much or more than what a minor league baseball player that (and this is key) doesn't have an education and gets a signing bonus is making. Because once a baseball player that doesn't make it up is done with baseball, they could be as old as 30 in some cases- and they're not going to be able to get a very good job without a degree. Not in today's society. It's pretty similar to Kenny Powers.

If I go to MSU and get at least three years towards a degree, or even earn one before I go off to play baseball- at least then if I flame out I can go get a job. Rather than have to move back in with my parents and have to teach PE.

Todd4State
03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I may be wrong, but I really think Woodruff will be fine. The reason is because as others have said, he's not missing by much.

The biggest thing right now is to be patient and not ask him to do things he can't do right now- like go up against Tyler Beede and Aaron Nola. Sunday is the most logical spot for him to go. And if he struggles, we will have to do something different- but I suspect that Preston Brown will start against SEMO State on Tuesday.

Todd4State
03-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Some guys just put it together later. Randy Johnson wasn't dominant at USC in the 80's for example. But with Woodruff- he was very good until he fractured his arm.

But trust me- there are tons of pitchers in college and high school that have big league stuff, but they are wild or don't know how to pitch. It's sort of like five tool players that don't have a naturally high baseball IQ.

Todd4State
03-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Gonna be hard to argue with this... I have been watching the World series run over and last night I watched Oregon St game, Indiana game, and second Oregon st game and guess what.... All three games we faced very good starting pitchers and every one was TRUE FRESHMEN. We need that. A guy that dominates as a frosh and to be honest what Tough Dawg is saying here is proven by this point.

And that's also not the norm. Look around the SEC at the true freshmen that are starting this weekend and get back to me. If you have one dominant true freshman pitcher, you are very, very fortunate.

engie
03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
If you get drafted in the fifth round nowadays- I'd have to look to see what the exact slot figure is, but it's less than a million dollars and it's certainly not enough to live your entire life off of. The only way you get life changing money nowadays is to be drafted in the top three rounds- or to convince a team to pay over the slot for you and that really only happens in an Anthony Alford type situation.

Here's slot values for 5th round last year. It's nice money -- but hardly an open and shut case of "go pro"/life-changing money...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140313-4pnd-50kb.jpg

preachermatt83
03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
And that's also not the norm. Look around the SEC at the true freshmen that are starting this weekend and get back to me. If you have one dominant true freshman pitcher, you are very, very fortunate.

ok, you will see one this weekend..
Robert Tyler- UGA

then you have...
Keegan Thompson- Auburn
Nick Eicholtz- Bama
Alex Phillips- Arky
Logan Shore- UF
Brett Morales- UF
Wil Crowe- Carolina
Kyle Serrano- Tennessee

Every one of these guys are freshmen and will be scheduled to start this weekend. not saying anything, Just Answering your question..
Or "getting back to you"

Homedawg
03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
8 of 42 sec starters will be fr. 4 of which have been very good up to this point. The other 4, not so much.

engie
03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
8 of 42 sec starters will be fr. 4 of which have been very good up to this point. The other 4, not so much.

We will START to have an idea about actual realities after this week. There's alot of experimentation on the front end.

As it currently sits, MSU has 2 trFR that can be considered weekend starters at this point -- even though it seems unlikely that they will be going forward.

Todd4State
03-13-2014, 11:12 PM
ok, you will see one this weekend..
Robert Tyler- UGA

then you have...
Keegan Thompson- Auburn
Nick Eicholtz- Bama
Alex Phillips- Arky
Logan Shore- UF
Brett Morales- UF
Wil Crowe- Carolina
Kyle Serrano- Tennessee

Every one of these guys are freshmen and will be scheduled to start this weekend. not saying anything, Just Answering your question..
Or "getting back to you"

And as you see, there are very few. Kyle Serrano was projected as a first round pick out of high school- his ERA is 4.24. Morales has an ERA over 8. I have our feeling that our fans confidence would hardly be inspired by those two at this point.

On top of that- bear in mind that their dominant stats were pre-conference play. More than likely they are going to hit a wall at some point as many freshmen do. And almost certainly their stats will decline as conference play starts.

Political Hack
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
depends on where you're drafted IMO. a top pick? sign, take the money, and feel comfortable that they're going to invest in your success. Lower picks really have to evaluate what's best for them long term.