PDA

View Full Version : It wont be very popular but when we beat OM tonight it will be a successful season...

dawgclub99
03-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Anytime we can beat those bastards in anything, it is a success.

Political Hack
03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
I would be happy with 2-1 against them considering the losing streak we had in conference play. After something that bad, bouncing back and winning two would be huge.

jumbo
03-13-2014, 09:03 AM
agreed

drunkernhelldawg
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Nothing would be sweeter than sending TSUN packing tonight. And we will. But it will not make this a successful season. It will be a successful game and tournament.

Beating Ole Miss is always great, but I don't go along with those who say it's the whole season. It's big because it's our rival, but our other games have their merits too. Every game is big if you're competing.

This season has not been a total bust. We had a strong start and ran out of gas. Just like last season, we're finishing on a high note. I'm not surprised we won last night as we have had spurts of playing well enough to win throughout the season. Here's to Ray becoming a better and better Coach for us as time goes by.

smootness
03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Hopefully as these guys mature, games like last night become more consistent. Can you imagine us playing like we did last night, with that kind of intensity and energy level, while adding Travis Daniels, Ndoye, Houston, etc?

We won't be world-beaters, but if Ware can consistently bring that kind of game and Sword can develop enough of a shot to allow him to drive like that even on teams more capable of stopping it than Vandy was, and Thomas can develop consistency in his jump shot, suddenly we're a really tough team to beat.

CadaverDawg
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
I agree with Hack. I'm hard on Ray at times, but it's only bc I want us to win so bad. I can easily get behind a group of guys and a coach that show that kind of effort after the season they've had. Ray and this team took a step forward in my book last night.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong...and I truly hope that Ray proves me wrong after the effort I saw last night. I'm pulling for the guy.

LC Dawg
03-13-2014, 10:01 AM

I agree. We need to win tonight, take at least 3 out of 4 from them in baseball, and win the Egg Bowl at their place. This should cause an implosion in that elitist fanbase and the world will be a better place.

thunderclap
03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
I hope like hell we win, but respectfully disagree.

M.Fillmore
03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I truly hope that Ray proves me wrong after the effort I saw last night. I'm pulling for the guy.

I'm with you. I don't think Ray will get it done but I would be happy to be wrong.
Beating the BearSharks would soothe the wounds, but if this season can be considered a success then we have a very low bar, regardless of the situation.

Ray is our coach and I'm pulling for him to succeed. I haven't busted his chops to my memory. You board archivists are welcome to check.

mullenite
03-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Beating the bears would not warrant a successful season. Make us feel better? Sure! But not successful.

Coach34
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
It wont make a successful season- but would give a much needed jolt of energy to the program

Johnson85
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Beating Ole Miss is always great, but I don't go along with those who say it's the whole season. It's big because it's our rival, but our other games have their merits too.

Beating Ole Miss doesn't mean much more to me in basketball than beating any other SEC team. We don't even seem to recruit against them more than we do against other SEC west schools. I would love to go 3-2 against them with our two worst teams in the past couple of decades while they are on what counts as a high note for them, but it doesn't really change how I view the season. There's not much separation between SEC teams this year outside of Florida, but usually I'd gladly trade a win over Ole Miss for a win over a better SEC team.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
sort of similar to football when we were 4-6

M.Fillmore
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
It wont make a successful season- but would give a much needed jolt of energy to the program

Agreed.

drunkernhelldawg
03-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Beating Ole Miss doesn't mean much more to me in basketball than beating any other SEC team. We don't even seem to recruit against them more than we do against other SEC west schools. I would love to go 3-2 against them with our two worst teams in the past couple of decades while they are on what counts as a high note for them, but it doesn't really change how I view the season. There's not much separation between SEC teams this year outside of Florida, but usually I'd gladly trade a win over Ole Miss for a win over a better SEC team.

The going 3-2 against them with our worst teams ever would be kind of extra sweet. A little domination reminder, lest they slip and forget.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong...and I truly hope that Ray proves me wrong after the effort I saw last night. I'm pulling for the guy.

Here's the thing, nobody is "wrong" on Ray. We all want him to win, even the Stans lovers. At the end of the day we all want a winner. Just because people are frustrated with the way the Stans stuff was handled, doesn't mean anyone is hating on Ray. That's Coach34-slant right there. He thinks everyone is like him and sees everything through Win/Lose goggles. It's possible to like Stans AND Ray.

We've sucked so far under Ray, so nobody is wrong in saying Ray might not be a good coach. He's the one that has to prove that, not the fans.

smootness
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Here's the thing, nobody is "wrong" on Ray. We all want him to win, even the Stans lovers. At the end of the day we all want a winner. Just because people are frustrated with the way the Stans stuff was handled, doesn't mean anyone is hating on Ray. That's Coach34-slant right there. He thinks everyone is like him and sees everything through Win/Lose goggles. It's possible to like Stans AND Ray.

We've sucked so far under Ray, so nobody is wrong in saying Ray might not be a good coach. He's the one that has to prove that, not the fans.

There are those that are not putting themselves in position to be 'wrong' on Ray, you're right. Those who are saying the jury is still out (pretty much everyone defending him and some criticizing him) can't be wrong. However, you're overlooking the fact that there are a few posters who have already claimed he is terrible, he will be terrible, he won't ever get it done, etc. They have absolutely put themselves in a position to be potentially wrong.

There are definitely people hating on Ray. There are also those with criticisms who are fair. Not everyone doubting him or criticizing him is a 'hater'; but there absolutely are some pure haters.

MadDawg
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Agreed.

dogshiek
03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Just beat the University of Ole Miss. Tear old Dixie down.

yjnkdawg
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Just beat the University of Ole Miss. Tear old Dixie down.

MSU ("The University of Mississippi" ) beating OM ("The University of Ole Miss") - Sounds good to me. :)

MarketingBully01
03-13-2014, 11:48 AM

I agree 100% with Goat AND if Auburn (a team worse off then us when we hired Ray) is able to get a coach like a Pearl, a Howland, or even a Michael White we have a failure of an AD in Stricklin. I know that won't be a popular statement but it's the truth.

MarketingBully01
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM

It's a sad day we can say that in the same season we lost 13 in a row. Just sad.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Mother of God, no!

OM is a bad team, just like we are. Lets have a little bit of perspective guys: we beat a pretty bad Vandy team last night. I'm glad we won, and more glad we snapped our skid. As for OM, It's funny that in the high point of their program's history, all they can muster is 2-2 against us while we're at our weakest. If we win tonight, that's great, but it in now way negates what happened this year. I would gladly trade two OM wins for wins over Florida or Kentucky. Beating those teams matters a hell of a lot more than beating Capt. Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

One of the only times Stans said something I appreciated was in 2010 or 2011, I think. He was asked about what he thought about the "This is Our State" campaign, and what the OM rivalry meant to him and the team. His response was spot on: he said something along the lines of "We don't really worry about 'Our State'; we've done pretty well there; we worry about beating the Vandy's, Tennessee's, Florida's, and Kentucky's of the world".

This thread is not helping the mantra of "they aren't our super bowl" that is being discussed in the other thread. If we win tonight, which I hope we do, please keep your shit together and at least pretend like we've been here before. Beating OM in basketball should not make you cream your pants. They suck. And we've always dominated them. So what?

That being said, If anything is to be celebrated, it's winning two games in the tournament. That does give us a little momentum going into the off season.

And we'd play Georgia next, who isn't unbeatable.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 12:28 PM
However, you're overlooking the fact that there are a few posters who have already claimed he is terrible, he will be terrible, he won't ever get it done, etc.......There are definitely people hating on Ray. There are also those with criticisms who are fair. Not everyone doubting him or criticizing him is a 'hater'; but there absolutely are some pure haters.

Who cares about 0.005% of our fanbase? The radical idiots, at that? They wield zero power. Making assumptions based on exceptions is what delusional liberal type dipshits do. Don't make that mistake.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
"liberal type dipshits"? You were rolling until you dropped that little gem.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 12:36 PM
That's the most truthful part.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah, and you probably think Glenn Beck is a prophet***

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Rule #1 of liberal retardness: Always deflect (your Glenn Beck quote)

Answer the question - Do liberals base their beliefs off exceptions or generalities?

I want the short answer.

TimberBeast
03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
This thread is not helping the mantra of "they aren't our super bowl" that is being discussed in the other thread.

I think it's pretty obvious that was the point behind the original post. Why so many fall for it is beyond me.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Rule #1 of liberal retardness: Always deflect (your Glenn Beck quote)

Answer the question - Do liberals base their beliefs off exceptions or generalities?

I want the short answer.

Oh, you want a short answer? Well ain't that cute. That is stupid question. Where does this shit come from? Do all liberals base all their beliefs off exceptions or generalities? Like what exceptions or generalities? Is this a talking point you got in a chain email or read on your Facebook timeline?

First off, I was making a joke dropping the "Glenn" card, which I was hoping you'd recognize as an equally fringe example. But you're not talking about extremes...which is something I'd expect from the OM Spirit board, not here.

There are more rational, less dipshit, ways to address "dipshit-ed-ness" amongst libs and cons. Are there stupid liberals out there? Yeah, sure, but I could say the same thing about right-wingers.

Let's get back to sports.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Well, I wasn't responding to the original post, other than the "mother of god, no". The rest is for all the fools losing their shit because we beat Vandy and we have a chance to beat OM. I hope we beat OM, and I'll think it's great that we're still in the tournament, but I do not base our team's success on how many times we beat those mooks.

smootness
03-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Who cares about 0.005% of our fanbase? The radical idiots, at that? They wield zero power. Making assumptions based on exceptions is what delusional liberal type dipshits do. Don't make that mistake.

Well, you said that no one was going to be wrong on Ray, and that isn't true if he ultimately succeeds. And I would guess that if there are 5-10 posters on this site who are claiming Ray is a bad coach as a statement of fact, then the % of people in the entire fanbase who think that is far greater than your guess.

Check MarketingBully up above. Stricklin is a failure of an AD for hiring Ray - that is his position. Notwithstanding that we couldn't have hired Pearl at the time, he is stating as a fact that a coach like Michael White is better than Rick Ray. He is setting himself up to be wrong.

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Let's get back to sports.

Well of course. After you skirted around my question and rambled out in left field for 10 minutes in another failed deflection attempt. Back to sports we go!

Goat Holder
03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Per the front page, there are 723 active members. 10 of those = 0.014%. Sorry I was 0.009 off. I'll go even further, 10 of the 221 users currently online is still 0.045%.

Those numbers could probably be portrayed over the whole fanbase. The loudest, stupidest mfers are the ones that make the most noise.