PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Nerds (yes, you Todd), SEC Tournament Bracket ?

Political Hack
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
How are the top seeds in the SECT broken down for the byes? is it top 4 overall? top 2 from each division? They've changed it so much lately I don't know anymore.

With the remaining schedule, what are the chance we can get a bye and save our arms 9 innings?

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Someone needs to get me a basezinga t-shirt.

It's the top four overall get the byes. The remaining 8 teams play a single elimination game on day one.

Currently, we are half a game behind South Carolina for the fourth spot. So, if we stay hot and play like we can we have a very realistic shot at it- especially since we play South Carolina the last series. That series could very well decide who gets the bye among other things. It's pretty tight though- Ole Miss, Florida, and Alabama are also in the running as well.

FFF
05-05-2013, 06:02 PM

It's the top four overall get the byes. The remaining 8 teams play a single elimination game on day one.

Currently, we are half a game behind South Carolina for the fourth spot. So, if we stay hot and play like we can we have a very realistic shot at it- especially since we play South Carolina the last series. That series could very well decide who gets the bye among other things. It's pretty tight though- Ole Miss, Florida, and Alabama are also in the running as well.

Wasn't it last year the committee said even if UK had made an SEC Tourney run (it was between them and Purdue), they wouldn't be hosting? Is that pretty much a set precedent? If so, we shouldn't go in looking to lose out, but if we take care of business in the regular season, I wouldn't give two shits about what happens in Hoover. Use it to get yourself ready for the real tourney.

CadaverDawg
05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I agree. We just need to go into the tourney like we're playing a weekend series. Try to win 3 games, and if we play more, we just adjust when we get there. If we win 3-4 of our remaining 6 SEC regular season games, then we won't need any kind of tourney run to get a host spot in my opinion anyway.

missouridawg
05-05-2013, 06:30 PM

I hate to be debby-downer... but it's setting up for us to 16-14 and them to finish 16-13. Which would put them as the bye solely because of a rainout against the best team in the nation.

FFF
05-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I disagree, so long as we take at least 2 from them at home and 1 from OM.

Coach34
05-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I hate to be debby-downer... but it's setting up for us to 16-14 and them to finish 16-13. Which would put them as the bye solely because of a rainout against the best team in the nation.

I'm not really worried about the SEC Tourney- we won it last year and it didnt help us...we need to go 4-2 to finish so our Tourney resume' will be solid

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Wasn't it last year the committee said even if UK had made an SEC Tourney run (it was between them and Purdue), they wouldn't be hosting? Is that pretty much a set precedent? If so, we shouldn't go in looking to lose out, but if we take care of business in the regular season, I wouldn't give two shits about what happens in Hoover. Use it to get yourself ready for the real tourney.

Probably so- I don't remember specifically seeing it. But there was a lot of controversy over that selection, and I highly suspect it was lip service from the committee to defend their selection because otherwise the truth- "We want a Northern team to host a regional"- doesn't sound quite as good since Kentucky deserved it more. Saying things like that encourages teams to play northern teams. Again, why the NCAA WANTS Northern baseball teams to be strong - I have no idea. I've always thought it was kind of unusual.

Despite what the NCAA said at the time- from what I have heard, there will be more emphasis on the conference tournaments than last year.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Which is why it is so important for us to win as many as we can next week and then the week after. /Captain obvious.

Buddy
05-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Yep, South Carolina hosts Georgia next weekend.... that is likely a sweep for them. It's going to be very difficult for us to catch South Carolina.