PDA

View Full Version : Need to get CT in the leadoff spot......

Goat Holder
03-11-2014, 07:26 PM
We're wasting too much of his production.

Goat Holder
03-11-2014, 07:57 PM
And I told you mfers about my boy Britton. Locking 3B up and getting the RBI. Guy needs to play.

bully99
03-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Britton has a great arm.

RougeDawg
03-12-2014, 01:11 AM
We're wasting too much of his production.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

CT needs to be holding a ****ing clipboard.

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2014, 01:15 AM
And I told you mfers about my boy Britton. Locking 3B up and getting the RBI. Guy needs to play.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the consistency Heck brings us, but Britton's range and arm allows him make plays in the field that Heck simply couldn't. I wanted him to win the SS spot so bad, but you can't take Heck out at this point with the way he's playing- our entire defense seems to respond well with Heck at SS.

Heck's hitting is also considerably better than Britton's, so that gives him another advantage.

Britton is so f'n talented defensively though- at worst, he will have to be a late game sub for us at 3B.

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2014, 01:22 AM
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

CT needs to be holding a ****ing clipboard.

Seriously? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just stupid.

Bradford's mashing right now and is also one of the better defensive CFs in school history. Should he lead off? Meh... I don't think so, but it's certainly debatable with his experience and the way he's been hitting the past five games. Giving Bradford a shot there wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

smootness
03-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Britton has a ton of ability at SS, but if you can't make the routine plays, you're not going to play. There are two different aspects of a player's defensive ability - not only his ability to get to a lot of balls but also his ability to actually make the play once he's there; also, not just a strong arm but the ability to get it where it needs to go as well. Britton has shown a problem with the second part of both.

Will James
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
For the record CT's on-base percentage is 26 points lower than the team average. That will be par for the course. He has 65 walks in his MSU career, Detz had 53 last season.

CT's BB% since he got to campus has gone from 9.6%, 8.2%, 7.7%, to its current 3.4%

He puts the ball in play, great, let's see that down in the order. Not leadoff.

HancockCountyDog
03-12-2014, 08:45 AM
For the record CT's on-base percentage is 26 points lower than the team average. That will be par for the course. He has 65 walks in his MSU career, Detz had 53 last season.

CT's BB% since he got to campus has gone from 9.6%, 8.2%, 7.7%, to its current 3.4%

I think CT should be batting 5th. He doesn't strike out much so far this year, and leads our team in BA and Slugging.

The Croom Diaries
03-12-2014, 08:52 AM

I agree. I'm fine with Vickerson leading off but if there's a change it should be to guys like Hendu or Armstrong who have OB% close to .500 right now and have tons of speed - 8 SB a piece.

Goat Holder
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
That's some Grade A stupidity right there, pal. Even worse that you tried to be cute about it.

Goat Holder
03-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I could go with this. Especially since we don't have anybody else that's apparently going to step up and take this spot via power or a higher average.

Saltydog
03-12-2014, 09:35 AM
nt

maroonmania
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Britton has a ton of ability at SS, but if you can't make the routine plays, you're not going to play. There are two different aspects of a player's defensive ability - not only his ability to get to a lot of balls but also his ability to actually make the play once he's there; also, not just a strong arm but the ability to get it where it needs to go as well. Britton has shown a problem with the second part of both.

This all day. And people underplay Heck's range. I've seen him make a couple of incredible throws from deep in the 3rd base side hole to get guys out AND he is hitting which is something I don't have much confidence in Britton to do. I like Britton defensively at 3rd but I wish we had someone at 3rd base that was providing more offensive RBI power than either Detz or Britton currently provide.

Sandman14
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't see it with Britton. We been watching the guy for 4 years. He's never hit the ball, and he's always made errors. Maybe he's some sort of practice phenom, or maybe the poor plays overshadow the good ones in my mind, but I've never seen anything out of the guy that made me want to see more of him in the lineup.

Heck is the biggest pleasant surprise on the team. You certainly don't want to touch him.

Also, didn't we bat CT at the 2 spot early on last year before it became apparent he was not going to hit? Or was that 2 years ago? He led off as a frosh, as I recall.

Goat Holder
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
He led off as a freshman and sophomore until he got hurt. That tells you that Cohen did at one time think he was a good leadoff man. I think he would have led off last year had Frazier not been irreplaceable. I like having an upperclass leader at that spot. And Cohen's lineups are never the same from the beginning to the end of the season, so I'm betting you you'll see a change there eventually.

dickiedawg
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
The only lineup problem I have is continuing to put Wes Rea 3rd. I know this has been argued to death but it makes me sick when he comes to the plate with 2 outs and noone on in the first.
As for the leadoff spot, Henderson is getting on base at a .472 clip and is 8-8 on stolen bases. Makes sense to give him a shot there.

Goat Holder
03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
That's the problem, nobody else is doing it. Cohen said he's bringing along Humphreys/Garner slowly, plus he played Britton at 3B because he knew Brown would get a lot of ground balls. He always has a reason for what he does.

I like the idea of getting the best defense on the field, since hitting is not going to be our strength.

Goat Holder
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
How about this lineup:

Henderson or Armstrong (getting a senior with a high OBP) - RF
Vickerson or Brown - LF
Bradford (best hitter right now) - CF
Rea (give him a shot to bring in Bradford) - 1B
Pirtle - 2B
Heck - SS
Detz (or whoever else) - DH
Catcher (whoever)
Britton - 3B