PDA

View Full Version : I'm no construction expert but...

maroonmania
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
was there not a way to use a darker based concrete so that the new endzone section going in would more closely match what is already existing? Pretty obvious from any view including the live cam but I linked the latest pictures that clearly show what I am talking about.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/reseating/gallery/#CONSTRUCTION

TheDogFather
03-11-2014, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=maroonmania;146935]was there not a way to use a darker based concrete so that the new endzone section going in would more closely match what is already existing? Pretty obvious from any view including the live cam but I linked the latest pictures that clearly show what I am talking about.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/reseating/gallery/#CONSTRUCTION[/QUOTE

No way to economically do that.

The difference will not be as noticeable after the seating is installed.

mullenite
03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Lol. It won't take long for the colors to match. A few weeks out in the elements and you'll never notice.

TheRef
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Also, this is the "Green" concrete that was developed by the university that is environmentally friendly. So I don't believe color was a big concern from them. Plus, everyone knows it's an addition so it's going to look newer anyway.

PassInterference
03-11-2014, 11:50 AM
The old concrete you speak of is officially the oldest concrete in college football. We have the NCAA's oldest football stadium.

maroonmania
Also, this is the "Green" concrete that was developed by the university that is environmentally friendly. So I don't believe color was a big concern from them. Plus, everyone knows it's an addition so it's going to look newer anyway.

Good point, I had forgotten about that issue being a driver.

bulldogsmsu
Or when the stadium is packed! It will blend in within a year or two. Stadium is really starting to come together. Can't wait to see it in person!

[QUOTE=maroonmania;146935]was there not a way to use a darker based concrete so that the new endzone section going in would more closely match what is already existing? Pretty obvious from any view including the live cam but I linked the latest pictures that clearly show what I am talking about.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/reseating/gallery/#CONSTRUCTION[/QUOTE

No way to economically do that.

The difference will not be as noticeable after the seating is installed.

maroonmania
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
The old concrete you speak of is officially the oldest concrete in college football. We have the NCAA's oldest football stadium.

I understand that but can you even select different shading of concrete? The Ref pointed out the "green" product we are using so that may have eliminated any color option anyway.

TheRef
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM

2nd oldest...GT's stadium is older unless they tore it down within the past year.

engie
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
2nd oldest...GT's stadium is older unless they tore it down within the past year.

correct

mjh94
03-11-2014, 12:06 PM
but can you even select different shading of concrete?

yes you can. and it's EXPENSIVE for even a small project, much less a stadium expansion.

DawgInMemphis
03-11-2014, 12:14 PM

2nd oldest in Division I behind Bobby Dodd stadium.

ETA: Should have read the entire thread before posting...

jimbo352
03-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm in the industry...

Literally no one would color that amount of cement before it was poured... The only way would be to stain the concrete after it is set(which wouldn't be that hard or expensive, because it wouldn't be decorative. It's still a waste of money though, because it will darken pretty fast in a humid/wet Mississippi climate.

Just a side note... In my experience, the so called "green" cements have nothing to do with the color. The deposits where cement companies get their limestone will effect how light or dark the cement is more than anything(but I doubt this was even thought about). Cement companies generally use a lot of fly ash or slag as a filler. When you take fly ash out of the cement, you reduce your carbon footprint, and get a better cement product honestly. cement products that have too much fly ash will get too hot, dry out too fast, and crack to shit. I see it all the time on the stucco side of the business. Quickrete/TXI all in one bag products will use the sh!t out of fillers.

GumpDawg
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm in the industry...

Literally no one would color that amount of cement before it was poured... The only way would be to stain the concrete after it is set(which wouldn't be that hard or expensive, because it wouldn't be decorative. It's still a waste of money though, because it will darken pretty fast in a humid/wet Mississippi climate.

Just a side note... In my experience, the so called "green" cements have nothing to do with the color. The deposits where cement companies get their limestone will effect how light or dark the cement is more than anything(but I doubt this was even thought about). Cement companies generally use a lot of fly ash or slag as a filler. When you take fly ash out of the cement, you reduce your carbon footprint, and get a better cement product honestly. cement products that have too much fly ash will get too hot, dry out too fast, and crack to shit. I see it all the time on the stucco side of the business. Quickrete/TXI all in one bag products will use the sh!t out of fillers.

^ this guys knows. The "green" label also comes from the selected fuels the cement kilns burn to produce the cement. The brown you see is the aggregate starting to show through from years of wear and tear. Much like Mississippi's brown roads. Here in Alabama most things are limestone aggregate based so wear and tear on concrete doesn't show quite as drastically much like our roads look gray once the asphalt is worn of the surface.

I would love for us to do what auburn did and add a spray on coating which looks new and adds some friction back to the old concrete surfaces.

Johnson85
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
When you take fly ash out of the cement, you reduce your carbon footprint,

How does that work? I would think fly ash would have minimal impact, basically what you consume shipping it. If you remove it, are you really not replacing it with material that would have roughly equal carbon emissions?

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2014, 01:43 PM
How does that work? I would think fly ash would have minimal impact, basically what you consume shipping it. If you remove it, are you really not replacing it with material that would have roughly equal carbon emissions?

I've worked on a couple of LEED Certified building projects. Green building guidelines look at the complete manufacturing process. Something like fly ash is considered a bad thing b/c of the way it is manufactured (which is typically a by-product of burning something - which the greenies don't like), and to a degree the way it off-gases over time.

FISHDAWG
03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm in the industry...

Jimbo just nailed it .... I'm afraid the "Green" thing is here to stay - it's one huge pain in the butt and usually not worth the cost .... concrete or mortar colorant can be added but in those quantities it's very difficult to maintain the continuity .... staining is always cheaper and easier

Johnson85
03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
I've worked on a couple of LEED Certified building projects. Green building guidelines look at the complete manufacturing process. Something like fly ash is considered a bad thing b/c of the way it is manufactured (which is typically a by-product of burning something - which the greenies don't like), and to a degree the way it off-gases over time.

That seems backwards. Fly ash is a byproduct of a combustion process that's going to take place regardless. Seems like they'd want to go ahead and use it since it's going to be created anyway. Obviously to the extent you're creating a market for fly ash you are making it a little more profitable to do things like burn coal, but I would think the ability to sell fly ash would not normally be driving a significant uptick in whatever process is used to create it. Is the sale of fly ash a bigger money maker than I realize, or is this another instance of greens being idiots?

FISHDAWG
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
^ this guys knows. The "green" label also comes from the selected fuels the cement kilns burn to produce the cement. The brown you see is the aggregate starting to show through from years of wear and tear. Much like Mississippi's brown roads. Here in Alabama most things are limestone aggregate based so wear and tear on concrete doesn't show quite as drastically much like our roads look gray once the asphalt is worn of the surface.

I would love for us to do what auburn did and add a spray on coating which looks new and adds some friction back to the old concrete surfaces.

I was building an academic center @ Clemson under the Green mandate and because of that I had to import lumber / plywood from some virgin forest in Oregon ...yes, it was incredibly expensive

GumpDawg
03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
That seems backwards. Fly ash is a byproduct of a combustion process that's going to take place regardless. Seems like they'd want to go ahead and use it since it's going to be created anyway. Obviously to the extent you're creating a market for fly ash you are making it a little more profitable to do things like burn coal, but I would think the ability to sell fly ash would not normally be driving a significant uptick in whatever process is used to create it. Is the sale of fly ash a bigger money maker than I realize, or is this another instance of greens being idiots?

The later, but it does have a financial benefit to the power, steel, etc. industry as they don't have to dispose of the byproduct as a regulated waste. That costs them money whereas selling it is a profit. There is a big battle going on over this now. The folks that don't want it used as byproducts don't understand that it will take up all the air space in our landfills otherwise. It's funny when the environmentalist don't want something recycled or reused.

Johnson85
03-11-2014, 03:32 PM
I was building an academic center @ Clemson under the Green mandate and because of that I had to import lumber / plywood from some virgin forest in Oregon ...yes, it was incredibly expensive

So instead of using timber harvested from planted trees, they actually wanted to impact natural forests?

FISHDAWG
03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I actually can't remember if it was virgin or not but the products had to come from a certain geological area in Oregon ... I passed the criteria on to my materials supplier and he promptly called me back to see if I understood what it was going to take to meet the spec ... apparently nothing that money couldn't take care of .... lots of money

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
LEED has some benefits, there are definite head-scratching things about it, and it can drive some major costs. The Guv here in GA actually issued an executive order last year banning State agencies from using LEED b/c they do not consider southern yellow pine as a sustainable material (much to the chagrin of 'Ole Yella Wood).

jimbo352
03-11-2014, 08:14 PM
The later, but it does have a financial benefit to the power, steel, etc. industry as they don't have to dispose of the byproduct as a regulated waste. That costs them money whereas selling it is a profit. There is a big battle going on over this now. The folks that don't want it used as byproducts don't understand that it will take up all the air space in our landfills otherwise. It's funny when the environmentalist don't want something recycled or reused.

I'm not sure what the end game is for the people who want fly ash out... I would understand if they were arguing product quality, but they're not... Maybe they think they can raise the taxes and fees to dispose of it, and push them to move toward cleaner energy... Not sure...

There are a few manufactures of scratch and brown, masonry, and one coat, that use waaayyy too much fly ash, and the quality is absolute crap. That needs to be regulated a little better IMO, but not for environmental reasons. It's hard to get cement companies to move toward more expensive and cleaner methods, because the margins are already so tight. Will be interesting to see what happens when real pressure is applied by the government.

blacklistedbully
03-11-2014, 09:27 PM
2nd oldest in Division I behind Bobby Dodd stadium.

ETA: Should have read the entire thread before posting...

Actually, you are all wrong. It's the 2nd oldest Division 1 on campus football stadium in the NCAA.

TheRef
03-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Actually, you are all wrong. It's the 2nd oldest Division 1 on campus football stadium in the NCAA.

Okay..okay...let's get specific here everyone. It's the 2nd oldest Division I NCAA on campus football stadium that is currently in use.