PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones the top DT per SDS!

pdawg10msu
03-11-2014, 08:21 AM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/sec-defensive-tackles-spring-2014/

Hailstate!

FISHDAWG
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Dak, CJ, & B-Mac are bringing a lot of preseason attention to us ....... wonder who will emerge and capture the media's attention next season (other than one of those three)

HereComesTheSpiral
03-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Bo Wallace at #3? Either QB in the SEC is bad this year or this list is horse shit. Im leaning more towards horse shit. I know it is all speculation but damn, what did Wallace do that was so damn impressive last year to warrant #3.

thf24
03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Bo Wallace at #3? Either QB in the SEC is bad this year or this list is horse shit. Im leaning more towards horse shit. I know it is all speculation but damn, what did Wallace do that was so damn impressive last year to warrant #3.

I feel the same way about Nick Marshall. I've never seen so much hype over an average running back playing quarterback. It seems like most of his passing highlights are horrible throws that turned into big plays through lucky circumstances.

dickiedawg
03-11-2014, 09:20 AM
I feel the same way about Nick Marshall. I've never seen so much hype over an average running back playing quarterback. It seems like most of his passing highlights are horrible throws that turned into big plays through lucky circumstances.

Yeah Marshall took a fairly pedestrian team to the National Championship last season. He may not be the best QB in the league, but in the scheme he's in it's hard not to pick him #1. He did last year what we expect Dak to do this year.
As for Wallace at No. 3, it really is a down year for returning starters. You could certainly make a case for Mauk to be over Bo, but from a numbers perspective Bo is a pretty easy choice at 3.

msstate7
03-11-2014, 09:26 AM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/sec-defensive-tackles-spring-2014/

Hailstate!

Oh how I hope James has his head right. If he shows up, we're gonna be a terror to block

thf24
03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah Marshall took a fairly pedestrian team to the National Championship last season.

I'd say that Gus Malzahn took a fairly pedestrain team to the National Championship last season, and the fact that he did it with Marshall as his best option at QB makes it even more incredible. If I need to drive down the field and score in two minutes and I don't have Auburn luck on my side, then Nick Marshall is far from the top of my list of SEC quarterbacks to lead that.

smootness
03-11-2014, 09:29 AM

It's hard to put him much lower than that simply based on prior experience. I doubt many people think he'll actually end up there, though. Guys like Mauk, Bama QB, Hutson Mason, and several others have a decent chance to pass him.

dickiedawg
03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
State's been fairly well-represented on these lists. Dak at 2, Tubby at 4, Jones at 1 and Malcolm Johnson at 2. We don't have a DE, RB or OL (TAMU, with the No.1 guy could have its third straight "lottery" pick at OT next year, holy cow) but I don't feel like anyone was really slighted. You could make a case for Josh Robinson at 10 but probably not without being biased.

Robinson's HS quarterback, by the way, clocked in as the #9 RB. That was a loaded backfield for sure- still blows me away when I think about that '09 team not winning state.

thunderclap
03-11-2014, 09:50 AM

....with about 14 OL illegally downfield.

dickiedawg
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
I'd say that Gus Malzahn took a fairly pedestrain team to the National Championship last season, and the fact that he did it with Marshall as his best option at QB makes it even more incredible. If I need to drive down the field and score in two minutes and I don't have Auburn luck on my side, then Nick Marshall is far from the top of my list of SEC quarterbacks to lead that.

This sounds a little like an anti-marshall agenda. He may not be Cam Newton- there aren't many of those- but he's a pretty easy choice for preseason All-SEC QB this year. If your metric is "Who do I want running my 2-minute offense," the list probably looks different- you might even put Wallace #1 based on experience.

Then again, if your thought process really is that Gus had that success despite Nick Marshall, then God help us. We may never win another game against Auburn or Alabama.

thf24
03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
This sounds a little like an anti-marshall agenda. He may not be Cam Newton- there aren't many of those- but he's a pretty easy choice for preseason All-SEC QB this year. If your metric is "Who do I want running my 2-minute offense," the list probably looks different- you might even put Wallace #1 based on experience.

Then again, if your thought process really is that Gus had that success despite Nick Marshall, then God help us. We may never win another game against Auburn or Alabama.

You're over-thinking my comments. I don't really care one way or the other, I just think it's strange that so many people are hyping up an average at best quarterback who wasn't even a quarterback two years ago. I suppose, however, based on the circumstances, he makes sense for #1 on a list like this.

Pollodawg
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't have any Nick Marshall love, but I don't have any Nick Marshall hate either. He's a great athlete with a meh arm. That's how I see it. But he's in a system where that's ok.

Covercorner2
03-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Nick Marshall does not lack arm strength

smootness
03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Yeah, it's strange to see us getting this kind of respect before a season starts. Typically, even if a guy leads the SEC in several categories at a position, they'll still have him something like 5th at his position just because there are some Bama guys who were better recruits, etc.

Nice to see Jameon Lewis get some love. This just reinforces what we already know - we have a lot of legitimate talent returning next year; it'll just hinge on how well our OL plays and whether Dak stays healthy or not.

Coach34
03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage.

Think about this- Marshall had more yards rushing than Perk and JRob COMBINED- and that also factors in sacks for Marshall.

engie
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage.

Think about this- Marshall had more yards rushing than Perk and JRob COMBINED- and that also factors in sacks for Marshall.

That's why the totalQBR that ESPN uses is such a good metric -- because it factors in everything...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140311-errr-135kb.jpg

BeastMan
03-11-2014, 10:53 AM
You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage. ll.

This is a great point. Total yardage and total TDs is so important when judging a Nick Marshall or Dak. You have to look at the whole package. It's like when an OM message board poster says Dak sucks and only shows his passing stats. Dumb.

I will say that Bo Wallace absolutely deserves to be that high preseason. If you look at the SEC, tons of great QBs finished up last year. Nobody is back. We can argue Bo being a system QB until the cows come home but truth is that his career numbers are better than anyone else's returning. That said, preseason anything doesn't mean anything.

Pollodawg
03-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I just don't think that Marshall is the best QB in the SEC. I think that particular designation goes to the man in Starkville with the number fifteen on his chest, and no, I am not just being blind homer on this one.

Coach34
03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Think about this- Prescott really played 9 total games this year. His combined yardage was only 100 yards short of Russell's from 2012

Political Hack
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
the Auburn @ State game could be huge from a Heisman perspective. Winner takes the drivers seat in the SEC QB race IMO. Regionally, Mariotta and Petty are locks IMO, and probably Ohio State's Braxton Miller too. There will be a non-Florida SEC guy in the mix too. I think Winston could steal more votes away from Marshall than he could Dak, which may leave Dak as the darkhorse favorite to visit NYC coming out of the SEC.

Conclusion: If we beat Auburn, upset Bama or LSU, and win 10 games...

The Final Invitees are:
Mariotta
Petty
Winston
Dak
Miller

engie
03-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Think about this- Prescott really played 9 total games this year. His combined yardage was only 100 yards short of Russell's from 2012

He only got between 60-65% of our total snaps for the year...

Johnson85
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I just don't think that Marshall is the best QB in the SEC. I think that particular designation goes to the man in Starkville with the number fifteen on his chest, and no, I am not just being blind homer on this one.

If you switched Marshall and Dak, Dak would still be successful, Marshall's performance would take a significant hit.

Still, hard to argue with Marsall's effectiveness.

Pollodawg
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM

This is what I am saying. I know we get accused all the time of saying our next QB is the next big thing. But, in this case, it's correct. We have never, ever, had a QB with the blend of charisma, ability, and leadership that Dak has. Madkin didn't have it. Russell didn't have it. Relf didn't have it. Fant we'll never know, but I doubt had it.

And, now, we aren't the only people who see this.

mullenite
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I think its a stretch to say Dak for heisman just yet. He will definitely be in the top 3 in the SEC though. Does that transfer to a dark horse heisman runner? We'll find out come next fall!

Political Hack
03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
I think its a stretch to say Dak for heisman just yet. He will definitely be in the top 3 in the SEC though. Does that transfer to a dark horse heisman runner? We'll find out come next fall!

to say he'll win it... yes. to say he's a solid darkhorse... not a stretch at all.