PDA

View Full Version : Baseball folks...

BogeyGolfer
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Admittedly, I'm not a very knowledgable baseball guy and I've said wake me up in April when games matter but I did expect to have a better start to our baseball season. My question is what are we lacking that many of you thought would would excel in? Pitching? Hitting? Or both? Why are we somewhat struggling right now? Is this a classic Cohen missing with lineup?

messageboardsuperhero
03-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I think the biggest disappointment has been Woodruff- him not being at his best is killing us right now. I also thought we'd have more power than we do. Granted I never thought we'd be a power hitting team, but I expected us to be at least average power-wise. Overall though, our consistency as a team is lacking tremendously- we have yet to put together a complete performance and play at our potential in all phases of the game (even during our winning streak).

At the end of the day, we'll improve and probably be a good team by the end of the season. How much will we improve is the question- because we have a serious uphill battle in front of us if we want a shot at hosting a regional.

HancockCountyDog
03-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Admittedly, I'm not a very knowledgable baseball guy and I've said wake me up in April when games matter but I did expect to have a better start to our baseball season. My question is what are we lacking that many of you thought would would excel in? Pitching? Hitting? Or both? Why are we somewhat struggling right now? Is this a classic Cohen missing with lineup?

We are slugging .357; That is good for about 120th in the country. This means that we have to rely on walks, hbp, and solid situational hitting. We did those things on Sunday night, scoring runners from 3rd with less than 2 outs, bunting over guys from 1st and 2nd with no outs. Just solid baseball. We aren't talented enough to not do the little things and expect to win.

I think our pitching has been a little worse than most of us expected, same with the defense. Our offense has been getting on base about the amount I expected, I just didn't expect us to be unable to hit to such a terrible slugging %. CT Bradford is leading the team in slugging which is kind of funny.

Unless we figure out ways to have the big inning (I don't think we will), we have to defend, pitch and run the bases extremely well. So far this season, we haven't done this. This is a big weekend, GA is playing better baseball, but it is a winnable weekend series. We have dropped out of hosting discussion right now, which means we will now need to win probably 17 SEC games to get a regional host.

engie
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
We're struggling with getting consistency from anyone. That's the main issue right now -- and also why I'm not yet worried. Every pitcher we've got has basically laid at least one egg this year -- and they've all looked as advertised at least once. I'm upset with the hole we're digging ourselves into -- but overall, I'm not yet worried.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
This is a good point. Basically we have play ice cold, no mistakes. Very similar to UCLA last year.

Drugdog
03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
We're struggling with getting consistency from anyone. That's the main issue right now -- and also why I'm not yet worried. Every pitcher we've got has basically laid at least one egg this year -- and they've all looked as advertised at least once. I'm upset with the hole we're digging ourselves into -- but overall, I'm not yet worried.

Serious question, At what point do we need to be concerned?

HancockCountyDog
03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

The first 4 SEC Series are: @UGA, Vandy, Ark and @LSU;

The rest of our schedule sets up great. If we can 6-6 to start the season, I think we can go 11-7 with ease to finish the season. If we don't got 6-6, we are just forcing our team to have sweeps on the weekend which is extremely damn difficult.

Let see where we are when we play USM in about 4 weeks.

engie
03-10-2014, 04:09 PM

Halfway through the SEC season...

maroonmania
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
No, our offense isn't that great but I really don't think anyone expected it to be coming into the season so that part hasn't been that disappointing to me. The early losses when we fell to 4-4 were largely defensive lapses in key situations late in games. Fortunately the emergence of Heck at SS and Collins at C along with better overall defensive play by others has corrected the worst of that. I mean we know Detz is limited at 3rd but at least we aren't booting the ball around on the infield at this point like we were earlier. This weekend was almost all on the pitching staff. NO WAY can we be the team we need to be giving up 27 runs in the first 3 games like we did this weekend. That's ridiculous. We are built primarily on pitching and defense and small ball and if we give up that kind of offensive production to the opposing team we are going to lose 9 times out of 10. Heck, we put most of our scholarship money on pitchers. They have to be consistent and effective for us to have a chance to be really good.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Our pitching sucked this past weekend, and our defense has sucked at times directly leading to losses. Our offense, while it was never going to be great, should be better. Rea is striking out a bunch and Detz just simply isn't getting on base. He was an on base machine last year. Other guys have stepped up and improved a little, like Henderson. Pirtle and Bradford are themselves, they seem to be improved. But we're just not getting production out of our 2 and 3 hole hitters.

I think most people expected Rea and Detz to be the guys leading the team in hitting this year. Not Bradford and Heck.

preachermatt83
03-10-2014, 04:37 PM

This weekend! if we do not win this series then im gonna be in full freak out mode..

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Sheldon-Cooper-Freaking-Out-Reaction-Gif-On-Big-Bang-Theory.gif

messageboardsuperhero
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
No, our offense isn't that great but I really don't think anyone expected it to be coming into the season so that part hasn't been that disappointing to me. The early losses when we fell to 4-4 were largely defensive lapses in key situations late in games. Fortunately the emergence of Heck at SS and Collins at C along with better overall defensive play by others has corrected the worst of that. I mean we know Detz is limited at 3rd but at least we aren't booting the ball around on the infield at this point like we were earlier. This weekend was almost all on the pitching staff. NO WAY can we be the team we need to be giving up 27 runs in the first 3 games like we did this weekend. That's ridiculous. We are built primarily on pitching and defense and small ball and if we give up that kind of offensive production to the opposing team we are going to lose 9 times out of 10. Heck, we put most of our scholarship money on pitchers. They have to be consistent and effective for us to have a chance to be really good.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Our defense has quietly been outstanding since we settled on Heck and Collins- we currently lead the SEC in fielding %.
Our offense has been good enough to win and is putting up solid numbers for a lineup that is still in flux.
Our pitching had been good, but it was terrible this weekend and costed us a few games. Hopefully that was an anomaly. Butch Thompson's track record here since 2012 (when he got his pitchers in place) leads me to give hime the benefit of the doubt.

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
I think most everyone has touched on everything, but my two cents...

To me the biggest disappointment has been Woodruff. Him not being an ace is going to force us to do some piggy backing again and rely on our bullpen a lot.

The defense has been good at times, but has also cost us a couple of games- the Memphis game in particular. Seth Heck has really stabilized the infield which is where most of the problem was.

I'm not too upset about the lack of power because I knew that was a possibility in the off season. Humphreys, Collins, and Garner are all guys that have and will hit for power. And every single one of them is a freshmen. IF they were advanced and adjusted quickly we could have had a fair amount of power, but at the same time it's not very realistic to expect a freshman to hit 10 home runs. I warned people in the off season that we could be a small ball team- and that is what we are. When those three- plus Swinarski, Rooker, and then hopefully Vallot, Burdick, Cole Gordon develop and get experience we should have as much power as anyone else. But it takes time to develop that aspect of hitting.

The hitting has been OK save for a couple of games.

I like that we are running more than ever instead of just bunting all the time. This is probably Cohen's fastest and best base-running team to date. That gives us a lot more flexibility than two years ago when we were a small ball team and all we could do was bunt because we were injured and didn't want to risk getting anyone else injured because we simply couldn't afford to.

I hate to pick on a player, but I think a lot of our problems could be helped by not starting Alex Detz. Sitting him would improve our offense, defense, and give us more power. And it would allow us to get Humphreys and Garner into the lineup.

What's frustrating to me is we could improve our defense, power, and hitting simply by benching Alex Detz.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
I hate to pick on a player, but I think a lot of our problems could be helped by not starting Alex Detz. Sitting him would improve our offense, defense, and give us more power. And it would allow us to get Humphreys and Garner into the lineup.

What's frustrating to me is we could improve our defense, power, and hitting simply by benching Alex Detz.

Or, he could get it together, and we'd be even better.

On one hand, you have a guy who hit over .300 for you last year, was on base nearly half the time, and was the MVP of the regional. Also hit a bomb so you know he's got at least a little power. Let's call it like it is.....we do NOT make the run we made last year if it wasn't for Alex Detz. Forget Renfroe and Frazier, Detz had as much to do with it as anyone.

On the other hand, you're putting in a freshman and HOPING they produce and show some power.

The only way I'd make this move is if Humphreys plays 3B and Detz DHs. But that takes Garner out of the lineup, as well as any possibility of Brown or Armstrong. Or Randolph hitting. So you have to be careful. I am OK with taking Detz out of the field, but you can't take him out of the lineup unless he just completely tanks during SEC play.

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Or, he could get it together, and we'd be even better.

On one hand, you have a guy who hit over .300 for you last year, was on base nearly half the time, and was the MVP of the regional. Also hit a bomb so you know he's got at least a little power. Let's call it like it is.....we do NOT make the run we made last year if it wasn't for Alex Detz. Forget Renfroe and Frazier, Detz had as much to do with it as anyone.

On the other hand, you're putting in a freshman and HOPING they produce and show some power.

The only way I'd make this move is if Humphreys plays 3B and Detz DHs. But that takes Garner out of the lineup, as well as any possibility of Brown or Armstrong. Or Randolph hitting. So you have to be careful. I am OK with taking Detz out of the field, but you can't take him out of the lineup unless he just completely tanks during SEC play.

I absolutely agree that Detz was a big part of our success last year, and I hope he turns it around. But as it is constantly putting him out there waiting for him to turn it around is hurting our offense as well as defense.

My opinion is also based off of how both Humphreys and Garner have performed as well this year. If they had been performing like Robson, I wouldn't want them out there.

engie
03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of giving Garner/Humphreys both a chance -- at least in a couple of these early experimentation games. I'm with Todd on that one. Maybe go Vickerson, Heck, Pirtle, Rea, Humphreys, Garner, CT, Demarcus, Collins for a few...

The part that kills me is that we don't have single glaring weaknesses like we have in the past. Inconsistency is beating us. It's never the same thing twice.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 06:14 PM
It's a fair debate, I just don't think you can have it yet. I felt like Garner earned a spot in the lineup when he went 4-4, but his inability to catch hinders him. So Humphreys gets the nod. Give Detz a few series, and if he doesn't get it together, go Garner.

Will James
03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Detz BABIP is .224 currently.

shoeless joe
03-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Bottom line: expectations were built off of what we accomplished last year with two all American type players leaving and 2 solid pitchers leaving; plus the thought process of "oh that guy will be better cuz they're a year older". But the fact still remains, tho I got scoffed at for mentioning it prior to the season, that we are relying on a lot of guys to do things that they have never shown the ability to consistently do.

Some guys figure it out during their careers after slow starts: Stratton, girodo. But some never figure it out and still others peek at different times and levels. Anyone with actual baseball knowledge knew that we had a lot of potential, and still do, but we have a team full of role players that are having a hard time putting it together on both sides of the ball. I would put rea above that level and others have potential but so far that's what we have.

We also have a lot of guys that get the tight ass when it's nut cuttin time. All I heard about this past fall and the scrimmages was how these guys have a different make up and we don't have to worry about head cases. Guess that was just wishful thinking because that is without a doubt what has occurred this year. Somebody has to step up and decide they are gonna be a big time player and make big time plays. Somebody. Be it offense or pitching. Until these guys learn to plAy with confidence when the chips are down we are going to be subject to games and situation where we don't look very good.

Hopefully the young guys mature quickly and the pitching comes together. We still have potential but potential doesn't win games.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Bottom line: expectations were built off of what we accomplished last year with two all American type players leaving and 2 solid pitchers leaving; plus the thought process of "oh that guy will be better cuz they're a year older".
Very true, but that's reasonable to do. I will say a lot of unfair expectations were placed on Brandon Woodruff.

Anyone with actual baseball knowledge knew that we had a lot of potential, and still do, but we have a team full of role players that are having a hard time putting it together on both sides of the ball. I would put rea above that level and others have potential but so far that's what we have.
Good way of putting it. Our guys look good with some stars around them, but none are stepping up and becoming stars. We really need someone else to step up besides Rea. And, well, Rea stepping up would be a big help also.

I think we'll find it by the end of the year. Cohen's got a good track record wouldn't you say?

shoeless joe
03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
I think we'll find it by the end of the year. Cohen's got a good track record wouldn't you say?

Cohen's track record is that we're playing our best late in the year. I think this year will be no different. He has shown this consistently so I have no reason not to expect it this year. But players have to make plays. And no one knows how a coach or player will react to a certain situation til they're put in that situation. Cohen has been there and done that. His biggest task this year seems to be instilling and/or finding that same grit and confidence in this team.

maroonmania
03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Its pretty simple, when we pitch at a high level and play sound defense we will win. When we lack in either of those we will likely lose. I haven't seen a Cohen team yet that won off of offensive prowess. Don't know if that is because John's philosophy of small ball given the toned down bats, him not being the great hitting coach we once thought he was, or just not being able to attract enough overall hitting talent, but it is what it is. We are built on winning primarily lower scoring games with stout pitching and not giving away outs with fielding miscues. Last year we had a solid defense overall (though 3B was even a problem then) and we had BY FAR the best bullpen in the nation by the end of the year and that is how we won. We seem to have gotten the defensive part back down for the time being but our overall pitching effectiveness against good competition is still a work in progress as we saw this past weekend.

Will James
03-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Something to think about...

Our team pitching BABIP is .345 right now

SEC average pitching BABIP is .273

Our pitching K% is solid, need to cut the walks down some.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Did you have to calculate the BABIP yourself for the SEC or is there a site that has it? I used to use collegesplits, but apparently they are inactive now.

Also...I have to say that our offense is above what I expected it to be.

Will James
03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Did you have to calculate the BABIP yourself for the SEC or is there a site that has it?

My spreadsheet but its an easy calcualtion

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah I know it's an easy calculation, I am just not wanting to plug in the numbers for each team. Being lazy. Good news on the BABIP though. With our offense actually not being dreadful we could conceivably go on a tear at some point in the season. Hopefully everything clicks this weekend.

messageboardsuperhero
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM

This is important to remember. History tells us that our poor pitching probably won't continue.

Last year our BABIP was .292; our BABIP in 2012 was .311. I expect us to end up around .300 again this year.

maroonmania
03-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Which says that when folks hit our pitchers they are usually making pretty solid contact. We certainly saw evidence of that this past weekend.

Will James
03-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Which says that when folks hit our pitchers they are usually making pretty solid contact. We certainly saw evidence of that this past weekend.

Or that we aren't getting to all the balls we need to. Hump to 3B. Detz DH. Brown, CT, Hendu in the OF. Jake Vick and DA can pinch hit an run respectively.

preachermatt83
03-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Or that we aren't getting to all the balls we need to. Hump to 3B. Detz DH. Brown, CT, Hendu in the OF. Jake Vick and DA can pinch hit an run respectively.

Not having Vick in the OF is crazy

messageboardsuperhero
03-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Switch Vickerson and Brown in the OF, and you may be onto something. Possibly platoon Henderson and Brown in the other OF spot.

Detz's lack of range is a huge liability at 3rd right now- I can think of a handful of balls off the top of my head that he should have got to but didn't. Really, Heck's range isn't all that good at SS either, and that's causing a lot of balls to get through the left side. Obviously Heck is our most solid option at SS right now, but I'd put Humphreys at 3B to give us more range on the left side of the IF.

Will James
03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Not having Vick in the OF is crazy

Cody Brown is currently our best hitter statistically. I hope he starts today. I'm fine with Vick and Brown both playing for the record and Hendu on the pine. But Brown has earned tonight's start in my opinion.

MsStateBaseball
03-11-2014, 06:45 PM
We have no hot batter right now. Detz and Frazier were hot at beginning of season last year. Pitching as a whole needs to get better. O expect by end of year to be hitting on all cylinders.

MarketingBully01
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Switch Vickerson and Brown in the OF, and you may be onto something. Possibly platoon Henderson and Brown in the other OF spot.

Detz's lack of range is a huge liability at 3rd right now- I can think of a handful of balls off the top of my head that he should have got to but didn't. Really, Heck's range isn't all that good at SS either, and that's causing a lot of balls to get through the left side. Obviously Heck is our most solid option at SS right now, but I'd put Humphreys at 3B to give us more range on the left side of the IF.

Detz and CT alone cost us 5 runs on two plays this last weekend. Putting Britton at 3rd instead of Detz is just plain stupid though. Frost was a better third baseman then Britton ever will be. If Cohen is going to do Shitastic moves like putting Britton at 3rd, I much rather have Detz playing the position even with his 87 year old range.

bully99
03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I give Cohen a hard time, but on this occasion I think he made the right call last night putting Britton at third and he explained it after the game. With Brown pitching and giving up ground balls to mostly right handed hitters, he wanted Brittons defense. And it paid off. And Britton has a great arm.