PDA

View Full Version : Here's my conservative look at how the baseball season shakes out.....

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Southern Illinois - W
@ Georgia - LWL (obviously not playing well on the road right now, may win this series)
Vanderbilt - LWL
Southeast Missouri - W
Arkansas - WWL (could sweep)
@ LSU - LLL (tough road series)
Southern Miss - L (we'll lose at least one more midweek game)
Ole Miss - WWL (could sweep but I give them one at least)
Alcorn State - W
Missouri - WLW
Ole Miss - W
Texas A&M - WWL
Jacksonville State - W
@ Auburn - WWL (another sweep possibility)
Tennessee - WWL (much improved)
@ Alabama - WLL (tough team on the road)

That's 32-23 to finish out. 15-15 in the SEC. That's about middle of the road from where I sit, based on what I've seen from all teams, us, and where we play them. But remember, we could easily beat USM, sweep say Arkansas/Auburn/Ole Miss and take one more from Georgia. Just hard to know where we're at. Do what I just said and we are 36-19 (19-11) and hosting. So it's still out there. We are far from shitty.

Will James
03-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Not predicting a Texas A&M sweep this year for sure

bully99
03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
And we haven't won the regular season SEC title in 25 years, while lsu has 6 big ones (nc) and USCe has 2 and we keep convincing ourselves how great our program and history are. Right now this team is a 10_12 win season. , but I'm hoping and praying. I'm ever the optimist.

messageboardsuperhero
03-10-2014, 03:46 PM
And we haven't won the regular season SEC title in 25 years, while lsu has 6 big ones (nc) and USCe has 2 and we keep convincing ourselves how great our program and history are. Right now this team is a 10_12 win season. , but I'm hoping and praying. I'm ever the optimist.

I just bookmarked this prediction. We will revisit it at the end of the season.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Right now this team is a 10_12 win season. , but I'm hoping and praying. I'm ever the optimist.

Ha, yeah that much is f*cking certain.

I looked back at UCLA's schedule last year, as they were a similar team to us this year. OOC, they were 18-8, a few of those losses were to scrubs. Conference record was 21-9. 39-17 overall. Actually gives me a little hope. What are we now, 12-7 OOC? With 6 more OOC games out there, we could be 17-8 or so, just like them. They went off in-conference and hosted a regional. Now one thing we HAVE done is knocked ourselves out of a national seed, unless the other teams ahead of us falter.

State82
03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Goat Holder;146629

That's 32-23 to finish out. 15-15 in the SEC. That's about middle of the road from where I sit, based on what I've seen from all teams, us, and where we play them. But remember, we could easily beat USM, sweep say Arkansas/Auburn/Ole Miss and take one more from Georgia. Just hard to know where we're at. Do what I just said and we are 36-19 (19-11) and hosting. So it's still out there. We are far from shitty.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much where I see it right now. Maybe we schedule another ooc game to make up for the one we had to cancel opening weekend and get to 33-23, but .500 in conference is my prediction.

Quaoarsking
03-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Do we really have to do this shit 4 years in a row?

engie
03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Do we really have to do this shit 4 years in a row?

I just wish he was the first that had done it... TODAY...

It's the same people every year too...

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 09:34 PM
That looks reasonable Goat.

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I just wish he was the first that had done it... TODAY...

It's the same people every year too...

It's amazing to me that Cohen has taken our team further than anyone else has- and yet someone is still questioning his recruiting and the direction of the program.

Sandman14
03-11-2014, 01:13 AM
It's amazing to me that Cohen has taken our team further than anyone else has- and yet someone is still questioning his recruiting and the direction of the program.

This is the exact same thing all reasonable fans with even a smidgen of baseball knowledge should think. It blows me away. First was his second season with all the trash we had stockpiled for him to work with, with Cohen "throwing folks under the bus" (when in reality he was just being honest and laying it on the line...the truth). Then in year 3, I remember it as if it was yesterday, we were down 2 games to Vandy and looked as if we would drop the 3rd. People were going ballistic. We came back and won that 3rd game and went on to the supers. Then it was year 4 despite our SEC tournament championship and regional appearance. And it cannot be lost that Cohen went 14-16 and 16-14 in SEC play in years 3 and 4. Then last year with the panic attacks after we dropped 4 straight series beginning with Central Arkansas before going on to finish 2nd in the nation.

Now why in the world would anyone, and I mean anyone, bet on us to finish any worse than 16-14 in conference play? We've done it the last two seasons and have better talent now, overall, than ever.

If you are at a loss, just go with Aaron Fitt, a noted expert prognosticator in the field of college baseball, who today opined as follows:

Drew (Mississippi): Aaron, most preseason polls had Ole Miss finishing 6th in SEC West. With conference series starting this weekend do you think the Rebels are on track to do much better than their preseason ranks? Is it possible SEC west could have 3 host teams this year?
Aaron Fitt: That division is going to be a dog fight. I still like LSU or Mississippi State (I still think the Bulldogs are going to be very good even though they have been very up and down early on) are the teams to beat, but I’d put Alabama, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Arkansas on a pretty even playing field right now—impossible to predict how that’s going to shake out. Auburn really showed me something too by sweeping a veteran Mercer team this weekend. The Tigers have very interesting young talent, but I still have them as the last team in that loaded division.

Jeffrey (Mississippi): Mississippi State is off to a less than stellar start with a 12-7 record in the non-conference season. How do you expect them to fare against SEC foes? Has the tough schedule help prepare them for the postseason?
Aaron Fitt: I think the Bulldogs will gel around midseason and be very dangerous down the stretch, as they were last year. I liked them more last year, when they had Adam Frazier and Hunter Renfroe around, but the pitching depth is still very very good. It has taken some time for roles to stabilize because they are relying on a good number of newcomers, but the talent level is strong, they are well coached, and I think they still have Omaha upside. I’m not going to say “take it to the bank, they’ll be in Omaha” as I did last year around this time—I’m just saying, they have that kind of upside if everything comes together.

Political Hack
03-11-2014, 07:53 AM

thank you for posting Coach Polk.

Sandman14
03-11-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm ever the optimist.

obviously

DanDority
03-11-2014, 03:36 PM

That, is what, is extremely puzzling to me. People often make the misstate in comparing football and baseball. Which are two entirely different animals! Also, if you take time to think back about Cohen's last 3 seasons where were we before the season was over. Everyone was questioning Cohen and every move he made. Please trust he and Butch!