PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Will have 20 sec wins and almost 40 wins and only have a rpi of 60. How is that possible? Can they host?

Goat Holder
05-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Many people don't think they will strictly because of RPI. I don't buy it. Only thing we can really hope for is that the committee sees their OOC losses and penalizes them for it. I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Arkansas isn't the 3rd best SEC team, at least when they play on the weekends.

Jacksondevildog
05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I was listening to Mark Etheridge of Southeast baseball.com yesterday and he said the teams with an RPI like Arkansas probably will not host this year. He said Arkansas is definitely a very good team but there RPI will kill them as far as hosting. He also mentioned that RPI is looked at more now for teams that play games on the road. He mentioned a lot of teams that play too many home games and how their RPI doesn't factor as much. I hope he wasn't talking about us because we played the most home games in school history this year.

msstate7
05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Many people don't think they will strictly because of RPI. I don't buy it. Only thing we can really hope for is that the committee sees their OOC losses and penalizes them for it. I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Arkansas isn't the 3rd best SEC team, at least when they play on the weekends.
Add in the fact they swept South Carolina and beat us 2 outta 3.

Coach34
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
No way UPig hosts

The uneveness of the SEC schedule this year will be weighted and will work in our favor also. We need to sweep today, and make sure we win the SC series. We do that- we host.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Here's what people need to understand about Arkansas- it's not just their SEC schedule. They played four SWAC team, two games against New Orleans, which is a program that just moved back up to I-AA and has won 6 games the entire season, and they have losses to two sub 200 teams in Western Illinois at home and Pacific in a tournament. Based on the rest of their scheudle, I don't think they play good enough teams to make up the difference playing Tennssee and at Auburn.

When they don't host- it's going to make the SEC look at how the league schedules their regular season games.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I was listening to Mark Etheridge of Southeast baseball.com yesterday and he said the teams with an RPI like Arkansas probably will not host this year. He said Arkansas is definitely a very good team but there RPI will kill them as far as hosting. He also mentioned that RPI is looked at more now for teams that play games on the road. He mentioned a lot of teams that play too many home games and how their RPI doesn't factor as much. I hope he wasn't talking about us because we played the most home games in school history this year.

True, but we beat South Alabama on the road (top 25 RPI), we beat USM and Ole Miss (top 20 RPI) at neutral sites and we beat Memphis on the road. Arkansas played a four game tournament and the only non-conference road games that they played were Nebraska and a neutral site game with Valley. Oklahoma got canceled. So, we have played just as many true road games as they have although they have played more neutral site games.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Dont look now but theyre up to 39. They could end up in the top 30 or 25 and it will be interesting then

maroonmania
05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Here's what people need to understand about Arkansas- it's not just their SEC schedule. They played four SWAC team, two games against New Orleans, which is a program that just moved back up to I-AA and has won 6 games the entire season, and they have losses to two sub 200 teams in Western Illinois at home and Pacific in a tournament. Based on the rest of their scheudle, I don't think they play good enough teams to make up the difference playing Tennssee and at Auburn.

When they don't host- it's going to make the SEC look at how the league schedules their regular season games.

Exactly, let's give Arkansas Vandy and FL and we will take their GA and TN and see how the records change. Arkansas is a good baseball team no doubt but ANYBODY from the West who skips having to play Vandy this year has a big advantage. They also lucked out in catching SC early because when Ark swept them they were not playing nearly as well with their young team as they are now.

Spider-Man
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
If we finish top 10 RPI and a top 10 SOS and get passed over a hosting spot because Arkansas has 2-3 more SEC wins. Oh boy.

Todd4State
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Dont look now but theyre up to 39. They could end up in the top 30 or 25 and it will be interesting then

They finish with Tennessee (118) and an Auburn (49) team that will probably beat them at least once. I can't see their RPI going up very much.

msstate7
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
They finish with Tennessee (118) and an Auburn (49) team that will probably beat them at least once. I can't see their RPI going up very much.
Hopefully they don't notch a win or two over vandy or lsu in sec tourney

Todd4State
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Hopefully they don't notch a win or two over vandy or lsu in sec tourney

That's probably their only shot.

CadaverDawg
05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
That's probably their only shot.

Hope you boys are right, but Kendall Rogers tweeted on Sunday that right now he would probably have Arkansas AND MSU hosting. If he has Arkansas hosting right now, I can't imagine them dropping much unless they lose to shit teams in their last two series.

Coach34
05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Hope you boys are right, but Kendall Rogers tweeted on Sunday that right now he would probably have Arkansas AND MSU hosting. .

exactly. What UPig does doesnt matter with us- it simply comes down to how we finish. The SEC could easily get 4 hosts

CadaverDawg
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Yep, Coach, I would even say SHOULD easily get 4 hosts.

The problem is, if USC were to get the nod over us....would we get the nod over Arkansas for that last spot. We badly need to win that USC series.

CadaverDawg
05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8383

This is the link to Kendall Rogers chat session today. He talks about how Arkansas is likely a lock if they win their last two series. He even said their rpi was up to 38, like that was a big climb for them.

Somebody asked about MSU, and he said right now we are in great shape to host, but that our conference record was only 13-11 so we had some work to do against Ole Miss and USC. Basically saying we need a more impressive conference record, which we already knew.

If we could beat Ole Miss 2 out of 3....we probably don't have anything to worry about as long as we don't get swept by USC at home. But I may be wrong.

Todd4State
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Hope you boys are right, but Kendall Rogers tweeted on Sunday that right now he would probably have Arkansas AND MSU hosting. If he has Arkansas hosting right now, I can't imagine them dropping much unless they lose to shit teams in their last two series.

If the committee did it the way that it really should be done and is meant to be done, I agree with him. I applaud him for speaking out to be honest with you.

I do agree with him that we have some work to do- I don't think we host if we have a losing SEC record. But we all know that already. Arkansas is going to have to be careful with Auburn- they are a good baseball team, but an average SEC baseball team. They're good enough to beat Arkansas once. Arkansas is also one of the worst hitting teams in the SEC and they are the worst team defensively- that could come back to bite them in a game or two as well.