PDA

View Full Version : Here's a prediction for my fellow baseball fans that are down...

CadaverDawg
03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
In our next 5 games, we play Arizona, Southern Illinois, and Georgia X 3. We will win at minimum 4 of the next 5 games, and possibly all 5.

If we don't win 3 of 4 against Southern Illinois and Georgia, I'll be shocked. And when we win 4 or 5 of our next 5...everyone will realize that we just had a bad stretch on a tough trip across the country. Worry not I tell ya.

MarketingBully01
03-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I know what you are saying Cadaver but when you already split with HC and lose to Memphis in the fashion we did you can't afford to have lapses like this if you want to host. We are a regional team but having 7 losses at this point in the season knocks us down from hosting before we even hit the SEC season.

CJDAWG85
03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
I hope you're right. We really need to win today. We need that fire we had last season.

cbrunt29
03-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Who's pitching for us today?

CJDAWG85
03-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Hudson most likely

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 04:00 PM
I know what you are saying Cadaver but when you already split with HC and lose to Memphis in the fashion we did you can't afford to have lapses like this if you want to host. We are a regional team but having 7 losses at this point in the season knocks us down from hosting before we even hit the SEC season.

We had to take care of business, and we didn't. Fortunately, the only bad losses we have so far are Holy Cross, but we also won two from them as well- so it could have been worse.

bully99
03-09-2014, 04:13 PM
The big series this next weekend is LSU at Vandy. If Nola and Beede matchup against each other, there will be dozens of scouts watching that series. Maybe 2 top 5 mlb picks.

preachermatt83
03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
I hope you are right Cadaver.

State82
03-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Please, please be right, CD. I just do not have that kind of confidence at this juncture.

jbjones
03-09-2014, 05:14 PM
..And when we win 4 or 5 of our next 5...

I'm good with that. Hell, 4 out of 5 seems to work well with our teams....

CadaverDawg
03-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Cadavstradomus is 1 for 1 so far. Nice win...get ready for the snowball to start rolling in a positive direction, Gentlemen. I knew it might be a tough weekend, but if you're only gonna win one, make it the last one so you can build off of it.

Good win, now we win Tues and get a minimum of two next weekend. Worry not...HailState

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm good with that. Hell, 4 out of 5 seems to work well with our teams....

I like what you did there.

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Cadavstradomus is 1 for 1 so far. Nice win...get ready for the snowball to start rolling in a positive direction, Gentlemen. I knew it might be a tough weekend, but if you're only gonna win one, make it the last one so you can build off of it.

Good win, now we win Tues and get a minimum of two next weekend. Worry not...HailState

I like how Cohen went all out to win this game. HUGE difference between 12-7 and 11-8. It would make the Southern Illinois game a must win almost. I saw where Georgia beat Western Carolina and they have a win over Georgia Tech as well. Just glancing at their schedule, I don't see any bad losses.

maroonmania
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I like how Cohen went all out to win this game. HUGE difference between 12-7 and 11-8. It would make the Southern Illinois game a must win almost. I saw where Georgia beat Western Carolina and they have a win over Georgia Tech as well. Just glancing at their schedule, I don't see any bad losses.

We should have gone all out to win more than just this one game in the tournament. These were by far the most important games we had played this year for post-season impact. Stuff like starting Robson in a game (currently batting .071 with 7Ks in 14 ABs), pitching guys like Laster and Houston in the first game when we were still in it, or giving Garner one AB all weekend didn't make much sense to me. We are in a pickle at this point. Granted we had a tougher SEC schedule last year, but if we finish the SEC with the same record (16-14) and only drop one more non-conference game we would be looking BEST case at an overall record of 34-22 (assuming we get in all 56). That's likely a 2 seed at a regional on the road. Really any worse than that and we could easily be left out of regional play altogether which would be one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory of any MSU sport.

engie
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
if we finish the SEC with the same record (16-14)...likely a 2 seed at a regional on the road.
If we go 16-14 in the SEC, we will be going on the road for regionals with this year'sschedule. The rest of what you said was really immaterial. We need to go at least 18-12 with this year's SEC schedule given our early struggles if we are to have a good shot at hosting. And we've got to basically win out in the nonconference.

Really any worse than that and we could easily be left out of regional play altogether which would be one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory of any MSU sport.
It would have to be alot worse than that. There hasn't been an SEC team left out at 14-16 in conference in recent memory... Even 13-17 is 50/50 most of the time.

maroonmania
03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
If we go 16-14 in the SEC, we will be going on the road for regionals with this year'sschedule. The rest of what you said was really immaterial. We need to go at least 18-12 with this year's SEC schedule given our early struggles if we are to have a good shot at hosting. And we've got to basically win out in the nonconference.

It would have to be alot worse than that. There hasn't been an SEC team left out at 14-16 in conference in recent memory... Even 13-17 is 50/50 most of the time.

If we go 14-16 this year with one of the easiest SEC schedules AND lose another non-conference game (we could easily lose to OM or USM) then you are talking 31-25. Could easily see us being left out at that point.

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
We should have gone all out to win more than just this one game in the tournament. These were by far the most important games we had played this year for post-season impact. Stuff like starting Robson in a game (currently batting .071 with 7Ks in 14 ABs), pitching guys like Laster and Houston in the first game when we were still in it, or giving Garner one AB all weekend didn't make much sense to me. We are in a pickle at this point. Granted we had a tougher SEC schedule last year, but if we finish the SEC with the same record (16-14) and only drop one more non-conference game we would be looking BEST case at an overall record of 34-22 (assuming we get in all 56). That's likely a 2 seed at a regional on the road. Really any worse than that and we could easily be left out of regional play altogether which would be one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory of any MSU sport.

Cohen typically experiments a lot in the OOC games and then settles on a lineup during SEC play. I expect him to do the same this year as well.

Todd4State
03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
If we go 14-16 this year with one of the easiest SEC schedules AND lose another non-conference game (we could easily lose to OM or USM) then you are talking 31-25. Could easily see us being left out at that point.

Not likely. They're not going to penalize us by leaving us out with our OOC schedule.

Goat Holder
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
SEC schedule is still going to be very hard. Just because it isn't as hard as last year doesn't mean it's not tough in general. MSU has made a regional with a 12-17 record before in 2006 and being left out of Hoover (Hoover part is irrelevant with the new format). Yes, LT pulled strings that year but we also made a regional in 2004 and went 13-17 in-conference. So get 14 wins and we won't be left out, even without our OOC losses.

maroonmania
03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Cohen typically experiments a lot in the OOC games and then settles on a lineup during SEC play. I expect him to do the same this year as well.

Yes, I'm aware he does that, I just wish he had played this pre-season 4 game weekend on the road more like he was trying to win a regional tournament and less like he was experimenting with lineups during a spring training.

CadaverDawg
03-15-2014, 05:10 PM
In our next 5 games, we play Arizona, Southern Illinois, and Georgia X 3. We will win at minimum 4 of the next 5 games, and possibly all 5.

If we don't win 3 of 4 against Southern Illinois and Georgia, I'll be shocked. And when we win 4 or 5 of our next 5...everyone will realize that we just had a bad stretch on a tough trip across the country. Worry not I tell ya.

Aaaaaand....boom. 4 of 5 (sorry trolls, I know you hate those numbers)

Ye of little faith. Worry not, gentlemen.

Hail Damn State

State82
03-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Aaaaaand....boom. 4 of 5 (sorry trolls, I know you hate those numbers)

Ye of little faith. Worry not, gentlemen.

Hail Damn State

Good call. You nailed that one.

engie
03-15-2014, 05:25 PM
You mean to tell me that the sky actually isn't falling?

TheRef
03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
You mean to tell me that the sky actually isn't falling?

http://allaboutroswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/chicken_little-sky-is-falling.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59wbf4MLD1ru94ijo1_500.gif

Schultzy
03-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Good call. And I retract my apology to whoever was frustrated over the question about whether Ross Mitchell should be tried in the starter role.