PDA

View Full Version : One big thing that's holding our baseball program back right now......

Goat Holder
05-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I just noticed this....we are almost getting nothing out of our key-note recruits from each class. And I'm not talking about the guys who got drafted and never made it, I mean the guys who got to campus.

2008: Devin Jones was the big name, he never developed.
2009: Stratton was the biggest name, but Luke Bole, C.C. Watson were big pickups, and neither did anything. Did Ethan Bright ever show up? Can't remember.
2010: Daryl Norris has underachieved. He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect.
2011: Brandon Woodruff was the centerpiece, he helped last year, esp. in SECT, but has been hurt and is the difference in good and great this year.

Too early to tell on 2012, can't really judge after one year. Don't really know who the big name was here anyway, I guess you could say Robson or Garner, and at the very minimum they haven't been busts.

Will James
05-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't follow recruiting and only go on what they do once they show up and hit the field. But in Robsons defense he should be a senior in HS. I'll say he's gonna be pretty good for us.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I just noticed this....we are almost getting nothing out of our key-note recruits from each class. And I'm not talking about the guys who got drafted and never made it, I mean the guys who got to campus.

2008: Devin Jones was the big name, he never developed. The guy had control issues in high school- not too surprising that he stuggled in college with them now. He struggled with it in the minors, but now he is finally starting to get it- might make it to MLB as a middle relief guy. People forget he won a KEY game against LSU in 2011 that basically got us in the postseason.
2009: Stratton was the biggest name, but Luke Bole, C.C. Watson were big pickups, and neither did anything. Did Ethan Bright ever show up? Can't remember. Stratton actually wasn't drafted, which surprised me at the time. Bole got caught up in a bad team- I think if he played for us now, things might be different. CC got hurt by his summer league coach. Ethan Bright got kicked off the team for drinking too much. Then proceeded to float around from NWCC to Hinds to Jackson State. Bright was very raw- most people thought he would end up being a pitcher, I thought he would end up as a first baseman- which he was at JSU.2010: Daryl Norris has underachieved. He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect. I think his knee injury last year has messed him up.
2011: Brandon Woodruff was the centerpiece, he helped last year, esp. in SECT, but has been hurt and is the difference in good and great this year. Woodruff will be fine once he is back next year.

Too early to tell on 2012, can't really judge after one year. Don't really know who the big name was here anyway, I guess you could say Robson or Garner, and at the very minimum they haven't been busts.

Really, we need to have better luck more than anything- we have had an abnormal amount of injuries over the past two years- especially last year. Cohen has gotten some really good recruits in the spring- like Pollorena, Hunter Renfroe (very hyped after he burst onto the scene, and we got on him in the fall before he busted out), Detz, and Girodo. Our JUCO recruiting is SO much better than it was under Polk too.

Will James
05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Is there a site that shows all the MS JUCO baseball stats in one location?

Goat Holder
05-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I understand all that Todd but the point is that we have to make sure our 'studs' pan out. The guys we spend the most time recruiting theoretically should be the guys that help us the most. Vandy is good because their stud players produce....Yastremski, Beede, etc. Ours are all on the bench, no matter the excuses.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Is there a site that shows all the MS JUCO baseball stats in one location?

Not really. NJCAA.org has stats from all over the country, and that includes Mississippi JUCO's as well. It's not formatted all that well though.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I understand all that Todd but the point is that we have to make sure our 'studs' pan out. The guys we spend the most time recruiting theoretically should be the guys that help us the most. Vandy is good because their stud players produce....Yastremski, Beede, etc. Ours are all on the bench, no matter the excuses.

And how exactly do we guarantee that? We can't put our guys in hermetically sealed mayonaisse jars so they don't get hurt.

taylor
05-05-2013, 01:53 PM
IF I remember, Bright didnt want to follow rules, and i think got kicked off.

Jacksondevildog
05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I believe that Bright is at Jackson State and was all conference this year.

Goat Holder
05-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I didn't offer a solution. I identified a problem, for message board banter. There is no one size fits all solution. That's what college sports are about, you get the best players you can to campus to play for you. We're doing that, but our highest rated guys just aren't helping us.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Yes, he got more than one chance. It wasn't a Croom kick-off situation where you fart in a meeting and you're gone.