PDA

View Full Version : I must be one of the only ones

CadaverDawg
03-08-2014, 04:07 PM
That just isn't the slightest bit concerned. We could and probably will go on a run and be fine. I am 100% not worried.

We will probably win today and tomorrow and be exactly where I thought we'd be after the weekend. It's hard to travel across country and beat good teams. Just is.

We have several young guys that will progress, and several Seniors that have to develop into leaders. And I think both will happen and we'll have a good year.

Goat Holder
03-08-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm with you. I have SOME concerns, but none that major. It was an adjustment for me, as a lazy fan, to watch the 8 pm game. Imagine how weird it was for the players to fly cross country, different climate, and play a double header at what would seem like 5 pm and 10 pm for them.

Anyway, pitching isn't as dominant as it SHOULD be, and hitting isn't as good as it should theoretically be. Plenty of room for improvement.

MarketingBully01
03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't have concerns if we put the power that we have in the lineup. Vickerson should never be the DH and Detz shouldn't play third. Heck with the way Detz is struggling you put Humphreys/Garner out there and you put two power bats out there. You play Vickerson instead of Brown.

CadaverDawg
03-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm with you. I have SOME concerns, but none that major. It was an adjustment for me, as a lazy fan, to watch the 8 pm game. Imagine how weird it was for the players to fly cross country, different climate, and play a double header at what would seem like 5 pm and 10 pm for them.

Anyway, pitching isn't as dominant as it SHOULD be, and hitting isn't as good as it should theoretically be. Plenty of room for improvement.

Completely agree, Goat.

Todd4State
03-08-2014, 07:14 PM
The biggest concern to me is the pitching this weekend. I mean, WTF?

I really wish he would try Humphreys at third and Garner at DH in the same lineup even though it means benching Detz. I thought Detz was snapping out of it, but I guess he just hits South Alabama well.

Todd4State
03-08-2014, 07:19 PM

You are correct. I wish we just played Arizona three rather than four games. That or played Santa Barbara midweek before or after the Arizona series.

MarketingBully01
03-08-2014, 07:24 PM

I really wish he would try Humphreys at third and Garner at DH in the same lineup even though it means benching Detz. I thought Detz was snapping out of it, but I guess he just hits South Alabama well.

A 1-10 weekend at the plate on most teams gets you benched. He is just terrible right now. Cohen is letting the seniors slump their way into the losing streak. Sometimes it's better to make the change bench Detz a few games and see what a Humphreys/Garner lineup would potentially look like. I am glad at least Rea did some things today. Detz has to be benched tomorrow though otherwise what's the point.

MarketingBully01
03-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Do you think it might have to do with the fact they don't feel like they get any run support so they feel like they have to pitch the game of their life out there? I mean a Bradford **** up on a fly ball he should have had and a Detz olay single at third. If they make those plays, the pitching looks a lot better. Of course, those balls don't go down as errors but they cost the pitchers 5 runs and confidence. Our fielding has got to get better.

state66
03-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I disagree I see serious missing pieces on this team and not a team that can get it going for a run in SEC play

Saltydog
03-08-2014, 07:34 PM
nt

preachermatt83
03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I am def worried. I'm worried because we have yet to field a lineup that gives us the best potential to win. Put Detz on the bench. If you can't hit OOC you ain't gonna get a shot in conference! if Wes Rea keeps striking out he better put him on the bench for a couple of games. There is a sense of entitlement with some of these kids it seems and as long as they are playing like crap and don't have to worry about losing their position then they don't feel the heat to compete. Put CT, Detz, and Rea on the bench for the next 3-4 games and put Garner at 1st, Humphries at 3rd, and Derrick in CF.

Goat Holder
03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Better yet, make them shave the terrible beards and cut their terrible long hair. That crap was cool for 3 weeks last June. It's not anymore.

State82
03-08-2014, 10:04 PM
I really was not before this weekend. I am now officially worried. And considerably worried. Something is just not right and its not any one particular area of the game. We've had pitching issues at times, problems in the field at other times and issues at the plate. I'm stumped but something is definitely amiss.

maroonmania
03-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Well this weekend has certainly got me worried. For the first time this year we are playing SEC-like competition and we've given up 27 runs in 3 games. That kind of crap didn't happen last year even with our non-existent starting pitching. Pitching and defense was suppose to be our bedrock this year. We don't have that right now and that bothers me even more than the fact our offense isn't as good as we would like it to be. I'll be very surprised if we get it turned around enough to be a regional host.

MetEdDawg
03-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I think reality is setting in that our expectations were a little lofty and unrealistic after last year. Making up for what Renfroe and Frazier did was going to be difficult. Pitching hasn't been as good and it was going to be very very difficult to continue dominating like we did last year. We aren't a national seed for sure and we may not be a 1 seed team. But I'm ok with that because we've proven in the past that doesn't matter.

I actually think this baseball season is going to look a lot like our football season. We've got some underclassmen who are just as talented as some of our upperclassmen, but they don't have the experience. Cohen will have to find the right blend of them both. We will take our lumps but we will still be a talented team that can make a run at anybody at any point.

CadaverDawg
03-09-2014, 10:48 AM
I think reality is setting in that our expectations were a little lofty and unrealistic after last year. Making up for what Renfroe and Frazier did was going to be difficult. Pitching hasn't been as good and it was going to be very very difficult to continue dominating like we did last year. We aren't a national seed for sure and we may not be a 1 seed team. But I'm ok with that because we've proven in the past that doesn't matter.

I actually think this baseball season is going to look a lot like our football season. We've got some underclassmen who are just as talented as some of our upperclassmen, but they don't have the experience. Cohen will have to find the right blend of them both. We will take our lumps but we will still be a talented team that can make a run at anybody at any point.

Hell of a post. I completely agree

tcdog70
03-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I think we have a nice team. Do I think we will be back in the National Championship game, No. We lost too much. I'm not going to bitch and Moan.Sit back support the team and lots see how JC keeps us in the hunt .

Original48
03-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Agree Met. And to add I WOULD like to see someone with a little fire in their ass like Mitch Slauter had. These boys seem a bit tentative and unsure of themselves. They currently appear a little Polk IIish.

CadaverDawg
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Agree Met. And to add I WOULD like to see someone with a little fire in their ass like Mitch Slauter had. These boys seem a bit tentative and unsure of themselves. They currently appear a little Polk IIish.

Yea, I just think Detz, Rea, and Pirtle are pretty quiet guys, and the problem is that we can't afford for them to be that way. Eventually someone is going to have to get on someone's ass and be a leader. I ink that will happen, but it just hasn't yet. Sometimes it's hard for a certain Senior group to take the torch so to speak, from the group before them. Slauter, Graveman, Pollo, etc....we're good leaders, and people seem to forget that. We'll be fine

C222
03-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Better yet, make them shave the terrible beards and cut their terrible long hair. That crap was cool for 3 weeks last June. It's not anymore.

I'm sure that's why we're losing.

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Do you think it might have to do with the fact they don't feel like they get any run support so they feel like they have to pitch the game of their life out there? I mean a Bradford **** up on a fly ball he should have had and a Detz olay single at third. If they make those plays, the pitching looks a lot better. Of course, those balls don't go down as errors but they cost the pitchers 5 runs and confidence. Our fielding has got to get better.

I don't think so. We put up 6 runs yesterday. There have only been a couple of games where we didn't score at least three runs.

You are correct about defense and that does't show up in the scorebook. If our pitching and defense don't show up we are going to struggle. Our offense is good enough to get us some runs- but we don't want to be in a slugfest.

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Woodruff struggling is KILLING us. Ben pitched well, but he can only go five innings. That's part of the reason why I like him better out of the bullpen in an ideal situation- but he is probably our best guy right now and has to start.

I do think it's very similar to our football team in some ways. The OOC schedule is a lot more difficult than it was last year- but I think the SEC schedule is easier than what we had last year though.

I feel very strongly about benching Detz right now. I think the combination of Garner and Humphreys gives us better offensive production and defense at third base. We can have someone like CT, Pirtle, Armstrong, etc. hit second. Detz not getting on hurts Rea as well.

Bothrops
03-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Well for one, UCSB is just a better team than we are, and they would do really well in the SEC right now. They could beat anybody over here. Hopefully we can win today, but we need to get more aggressive at the plate. I worry about our game approach mentality. We need to take the fight to our opponents. We can't continue to rely on pitching the way we do.

rrog17
03-09-2014, 12:06 PM
I agree. Gotta find the mojo somewhere. Long hair and beards worked last year. I'm thinking clean shaven and bald heads may get them going this year. That's baseball!

messageboardsuperhero
03-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Woodruff struggling is KILLING us. Ben pitched well, but he can only go five innings. That's part of the reason why I like him better out of the bullpen in an ideal situation- but he is probably our best guy right now and has to start.

I do think it's very similar to our football team in some ways. The OOC schedule is a lot more difficult than it was last year- but I think the SEC schedule is easier than what we had last year though.

I feel very strongly about benching Detz right now. I think the combination of Garner and Humphreys gives us better offensive production and defense at third base. We can have someone like CT, Pirtle, Armstrong, etc. hit second. Detz not getting on hurts Rea as well.

This hurts us more than anything regarding Detz struggling. Rea leading the country in walks because he's not seeing anything to hit is not what we want.

Todd4State
03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Well for one, UCSB is just a better team than we are, and they would do really well in the SEC right now. They could beat anybody over here. Hopefully we can win today, but we need to get more aggressive at the plate. I worry about our game approach mentality. We need to take the fight to our opponents. We can't continue to rely on pitching the way we do.

I agree. It seems like every single hitter that they have is hitting .400.