PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'll be the first to go ahead and say it..........

Saltydog
03-08-2014, 08:58 AM
This baseball team is not going to live up to expectations. Now, were those expectations too high? Prolly so but even said this start is definitely disappointing. I didn't think we were going to be quite as good as some thought but I didn't think we were going to be this bad either. I wasn't worried after the first couple of weekends but we've played almost 20 games now, approximately 1/3 of our season, and the toughest part of the season is still ahead of us. Yes, we have some youngsters that are still trying to find their way and that is expected but some of our seasoned players (Detz/Holder/Robson/Britton/Hann) have yet to find theirs and that's a cause for concern. I remember the preseason scuttlebutt about how dominant our pitching would be and that we would hit with more overall power than last year and I think it's safe to say that's not going to happen. There was also talk about how dominant Woodruff would be and that he could be a top round pick and that we wouldn't miss Frazier and Renfro. No doubt these statements were inaccurate. I'm not going to write this season off just yet but all the CWS talk and top 8 talk is ludicrous. Our weaknesses are too great to overcome in one season.

99jc
03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
This team is full of ***** ass hitters and noodle arm pitchers. We will be lucky to make a regional. I love MSU but between this shitty ass basketball team and this weak ass baseball team i want to only fast forward to football season right now. and i dont give a crap if i get butt raped for this post.

bully99
03-08-2014, 09:14 AM
What if the football team underperforms. What then. Not even me is as pessimistic as you folks. Doesn't look good, but if this team loses two or three at Georgia next week, then it's gonna be a long season.

Saltydog
03-08-2014, 09:19 AM
repeats itself, but historically speaking when MSU sports teams have had high expectations we have shit the bed. That's why I'm tempering my expectations for football.

Drugdog
03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
They are sure playing like they are scared. Not manning up at all.. What a difference a year makes.

This team does not have an ATTITUDE like we did last year.

Glimmer of hope- up until the last game vs UOM we were basically playing like this. After the big comeback, we came alive as a team. Hoping something clicks on this team, Still early BUT getting more concerned.

BeastMan
03-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I'll freely admit I don't know everything about baseball but I don't get worked up until SEC tourney time. Every year there is a stretch that causes panic. Baseball is all about getting hot at the end.

WPDawg
03-08-2014, 09:50 AM
It is tough to discern at times who is a baseball and MSU fan and who is just looking for banter to make their day complete. Some of yall have treat MSU athletics (maybe all college ball) like professional leagues. Its a new year and we have several people that are filling new roles and are being groomed to take on the responsibility of being relied on in critical moments. Its a work in process with the guys we have. No trades allowed. Cant send anyone to the minors for more work. Its a bunch of kids wearing the maroon and white learning to gel together and trying to get back to postseason. There are going to be good days and bad days as they develop. Its not embarassing as some of you think. Its disappointing we did not produce well in AZ so far but the world is not coming to an end. Its your own fault if you projected to early in your own mind that this team was going back to WS. Sit back and watch the kids compete and grow as a team and enjoy the development as they work to get better.

Goat Holder
03-08-2014, 09:52 AM
You're on the right track. Anybody with sense knew this team in particular would fight a little arrogance in addition to the normal ups and downs. Our OOC schedule is tough, but our SEC schedule is manageable (but still tough because it's SEC). That's where you earn your hosting, in conference competition. And, we will be rewarded by the committee for our OOC sked.

Now, do I have concerns? You bet. I still wonder why we are having to back fill with JUCOs seemingly everywhere because our high school guys aren't panning out. Britton, Robson, etc.....those were our high level talent players and they can't stay on the field.

It's Cohen's 6th year and we've still got 3 'safe' JUCO guys starting on the infield.

Saltydog
03-08-2014, 10:11 AM
you want it to sound and as for the SEC schedule being the determining factor for hosting, go back and look at Upig last year.

maroonmania
03-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I'll freely admit I don't know everything about baseball but I don't get worked up until SEC tourney time. Every year there is a stretch that causes panic. Baseball is all about getting hot at the end.

I disagree with this, yes, the tourney runs are great and that IS the way you get a NC but I'm not willing to say the regular season doesn't matter except to just barely make a regional somewhere and hope you get hot then. I REALLY miss the days in the 80s when we actually competed and won SEC championships during the regular season. We haven't won one since 89 and have rarely even been in the conversation for one since then. With Cohen I think 16 (maybe 17) is the most SEC games we've won. I was really hoping this was a team that could compete with LSU, Vandy, SC and the like for the SEC but that is looking like a remote possibility. If all we are worried about is tournament time then everyone just needs to go about their business and not worry about baseball one way or the other and just check back in May to see if we get a regional invite. Personally I enjoy the week by week chase in the SEC, or I would if we would actually contend in the SEC. For me, the regular season does matter.

Goat Holder
03-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Ha, so it's bad, except for the good teams we played? Add in Arizona (2012 national champ at home), Memphis and South Alabama. So yeah, you're wrong.

Political Hack
03-08-2014, 12:18 PM
make the tournament and win. hopefully we'll be good enough to host.

Todd4State
03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Ha, so it's bad, except for the good teams we played? Add in Arizona (2012 national champ at home), Memphis and South Alabama. So yeah, you're wrong.

Exactly. Our only bad losses so far are to Holy Cross. I think Memphis has a very good chance of being in a regional to say the least. With Arizona and Santa Barabara we are playing with house money because losing isn't going to hurt us and winning is only going to help us. We just have to pitch better.

Bullmutt
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like all our pitchers this year except Ross start out behind in the count way more often than not?

Saltydog
03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
schedule or something.......Our SOS is 89th on WarrenNolan and 118 according to Boydsworld.......The UCSB loss is not bad and neither is the Memphis loss, at least not at this point.......Arizona may get better but right now they haven't really impressed a whole lotta people.......

defiantdog
03-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like all our pitchers this year except Ross start out behind in the count way more often than not?

I think that'll change with Sexton as he gets more confidence. The guy is a stud.... hopefully he can shake off that last pitching performance

hailmari
03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I was really curious where all the optimism was coming from to begin with. I just couldn't see how a team that benefitted from getting hot at the end of the year could lose several of its better players and still be expected to be big-time a year later. I'm no baseball expert, though. I expect us to be a solid ball club, but short of being actual contenders.

Goat Holder
03-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I figured you go back and edit that.

The SOS numbers are worthless at this point. I know this may be a noble concept for you, but how about you actually watch the games and observe the teams we play? Don't say you do, because you don't. I can tell that much.