PDA

View Full Version : Glad to see that Beckwith has decided to play his final year

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:32 AM
after some rumors he contemplated foregoing his last year for a real job. Saw a twitter comment about their last official offseason workout and them celebrating. Now they will scale back some into maintenance work during Spring Practice.

Beckwith
Clayborn
Flowers
J. Johnson or Malone

I like our two-deep at guard alot

Goat Holder
03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Yeah that's big. That's one more year that an underclassman doesn't have to play before he's ready. Muniz is there too, surely it's about time we get something out of that guy.

I was under the impression that Johnson and Flowers were OT. I admittedly don't know though, maybe they just look like tackles to me.

SouthMsDawg
03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
This is the first I have seen anywhere of Joq Johnson being an OG

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah that's big. That's one more year that an underclassman doesn't have to play before he's ready. Muniz is there too, surely it's about time we get something out of that guy.

I was under the impression that Johnson and Flowers were OT. I admittedly don't know though, maybe they just look like tackles to me.

Hevesy likes to put borderline guys at guard to begin with- even if they end up being tackles. He says it's easier to learn the offense that way as well as your zone meshes with the other linemen.

Flowers is a guard- Jake Thomas is a tackle. Word is Johnson is going to start off at guard and Malone is going to get a look at OT this Spring to see how it looks.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
This is the first I have seen anywhere of Joq Johnson being an OG

welcome to Elitedawgs

mic
03-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Yep this is HUGE for us depth wise and leadership wise..

SouthMsDawg
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Tell me this Coach, what does your 2 deep OT chart look like?

If you include Damian Robinson I'm instantly dismissing your list.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Tell me this Coach, what does your 2 deep OT chart look like?

If you include Damian Robinson I'm instantly dismissing your list.

RT- Malone, Senior, Thomas
LT- Clausell, Warren

Covercorner2
03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Anyone else worried about our 2nd string guy at arguably the most important OL position being a converted TE and never have played the position before?

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
RT- Malone, Senior, Thomas
LT- Clausell, Warren

Has Robinson left the team? He was 2nd team RT on the depth chart for the Liberty Bowl. He played in all 13 games last year. He will be on the two deep somewhere at the tackle spot when August rolls around.

engie
03-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Anyone else worried about our 2nd string guy at arguably the most important OL position being a converted TE and never have played the position before?

No. Because he's not actually going to be the guy that gets the second look at left tackle.

Senior will be the backup left tackle in the spring. If we don't have to move him to right tackle, that will bode well for the right tackle spot. Senior is ready for a starting role IMO...

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Thats just the way I'd put them. But think about it- what does a LT need? Good feet and quick hands. What better than a former TE? Warren has been the "blocking TE" for awhile already. He will just be doing it full time now

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Has Robinson left the team? He was 2nd team RT on the depth chart for the Liberty Bowl. He played in all 13 games last year. He will be on the two deep somewhere at the tackle spot when August rolls around.

If Robinson is on the 2-deep he will earn it. Our OL is in the best shape it's been in since 1999 probably.

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 12:17 PM
If Robinson is on the 2-deep he will earn it. Our OL is in the best shape it's been in since 1999 probably.

Im saying he was the 2nd team RT last year in the bowl game - and with Siddoway graduating - at least on paper, he is prohibitive favorite to enter August as the starter at RT. Now Senior or the Juco could move him, but he has at least proven that he can play, not so sure how well, but he can play in the SEC.

engie
03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Im saying he was the 2nd team RT last year in the bowl game - and with Siddoway graduating - at least on paper, he is prohibitive favorite to enter August as the starter at RT. Now Senior or the Juco could move him, but he has at least proven that he can play, not so sure how well, but he can play in the SEC.

Malone is the one most likely to take that spot as of today IMO...

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Malone is the one most likely to take that spot as of today IMO...

That makes senses - Robinson could be the swing tackle then, which is probably best. I don't think the coaches want a Juco or Robinson in a starting spot at OT.

My biggest concern offensively is a 2011 type performance from the OL. Relf took too many hits, and last year as great as Dak was - he couldn't make it a full season without getting injured. Its just so damn hard in the SEC. He is so damn important, that I hope the coaches limit his hits in games that we can just as easily win with the RB's and defense.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Ummmm- no. Malone has more starts in his career than Robinson and will be working there. Senior may be given a shot their too depending on Warren's progress. Senior or Warren have to get ready to be the LT next year- so they will get reps this season.

Robinson will get his shot- but he is going to have to outplay Malone, Senior, and Warren to get reps. Let's not forget- Warren has been doing blocking drills everyday as a player as well- now he is doing it full-time. And he will be the best athlete of the bunch.

Westdawg
03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I think this OL unit is VERY under-valued. There is some great talent that, although did not have big * power coming out of HS, were solid athletes and good footwork that needed to get into an SEC weight program. That means that when you see these fellas at 300 lbs + this fall, there is not gonna be a lot of "table" weight on their frame. THey are built up to what they are. no bad weight really on them.
A lot of people are knocking Rufus, as well, because he will be converted from TE. What most don't realize is that Warren is primarily out blocking TE, and has the frame, the footwork, experience, and the length and speed to hold down an OT spot already. He will just be one slot to the inside on the line as opposed to being on the edge. This bodes really well. He has gone up against the top DEs and OLBs already in this conference, so he knows what he is doing. There will be a little bit of learning for him. but i think overall he will do just fine.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:33 PM
My biggest concern offensively is a 2011 type performance from the OL. .

We had what- 1 or 2 starters back in 2011? We have 4 starters returning for next year. And we have more depth- 2011 our depth consisted of R-Fr Clausell and Day. Sucked then- but them being 4 yr starters now is awesome.

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 12:35 PM
We had what- 1 or 2 starters back in 2011? We have 4 starters returning for next year. And we have more depth- 2011 our depth consisted of R-Fr Clausell and Day. Sucked then- but them being 4 yr starters now is awesome.

How do we have 4 starters returning? Gabe Jackson and Siddoway started every game the last two years?

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 12:37 PM

In 2011, we were returning 3 starters (Jackson, Saulsberry and Lawrence); Jackson was coming off an Freshman All American year and Lawrence and Saulsberry were rocks on that 2010 OL.

The big problem we had was Clausell at LT or James Carmon.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:43 PM
How do we have 4 starters returning? Gabe Jackson and Siddoway started every game the last two years?

Malone was the starter for Ok State till he got hurt and has what- 7-8 starts under his belt?

Maroons
03-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Agreed. If they stay healthy, this OL has a chance to be better than the 2010 version.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:47 PM
In 2011, we were returning 3 starters (Jackson, Saulsberry and Lawrence); Jackson was coming off an Freshman All American year and Lawrence and Saulsberry were rocks on that 2010 OL.

The big problem we had was Clausell at LT or James Carmon.

But we lost Carmon and Saulsberry vs Auburn for a few weeks....and Plastic Man against LSU for the season. We had literally no depth in 2011. This year is much different- our back-ups wont be guys that havent played a snap

Coach34
03-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Thomas made a lot of strides this Fall they say as well in the OT back-up mix. Very encouraged by his bowl prep work

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Malone was the starter for Ok State till he got hurt and has what- 7-8 starts under his belt?

Yeah, but he will be either be moving to OT where he has never played, or replacing a first round talent in Gabe. If we lose two starters like we did in 2011, we will be playing guys like Flowers or Johnson, neither of which have played a meaningful snap in FBS.

Right now we have C- Day, OG - Clayborn, OG - Beckwith, LT - Clausell, RT - Malone.

That leaves, Senior and Robinson as first OL in at OG or OT in my opinion. You could flip flop Senior and Beckwith probably. That is a solid 7, though I would love for Robinson to get jumped by Jocquell.

My whole point was that I hope Dak runs the ball a total of 15 times in our first 3 games. I want him healthy when we go down to Baton Rouge. I think we win that damn game, and I will be there to watch it happen can't ****ing wait.

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Thomas made a lot of strides this Fall they say as well in the OT back-up mix. Very encouraged by his bowl prep work

That is great to hear - the early reviews I heard, were lets just say, not good.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
That is great to hear - the early reviews I heard, were lets just say, not good.

Yeah, I heard the same....that's why I was surprised to hear he had a good December

Coach34
03-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but he will be either be moving to OT where he has never played, or replacing a first round talent in Gabe. If we lose two starters like we did in 2011, we will be playing guys like Flowers or Johnson, neither of which have played a meaningful snap in FBS.

Right now we have C- Day, OG - Clayborn, OG - Beckwith, LT - Clausell, RT - Malone.

but regardless of position- that's 4 starters that have played SEC football.

By Sept 1st, I predict we will go:

Clausell Clayborn Day Beckwith Malone
Warren Flowers ??? Johnson Senior
Robinson Thomas

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 01:33 PM
but regardless of position- that's 4 starters that have played SEC football.

By Sept 1st, I predict we will go:

Clausell Clayborn Day Beckwith Malone
Warren Flowers ??? Johnson Senior
Robinson Thomas

We just need to stay healthy on the OL.

I know that goes for a lot of teams in the SEC, but considering the importance of Dak, we can't afford injuries this year, which is why I want to make damn sure that we don't run Dak in those first three patsy games where we should be able to win without doing much offensively in the way of running Dak - USM, UAB and USA should be a cake walk for our defense - and even if we don't go for a bunch of points, I really think our offense with just our RB's and WR sweeps should be enough to win those games by 20+ while keeping Dak clean.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
O-line is by far the biggest question mark heading into this season. The key will be getting Joc Johnson ready to play RT. That would allow Malone to stay at guard and Beckwith to serve in a back-up role at swing guard.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
O-line is by far the biggest question mark heading into this season. The key will be getting Joc Johnson ready to play RT. That would allow Malone to stay at guard and Beckwith to serve in a back-up role at swing guard.

I disagree. WR is the biggest question mark. And I like us moving Malone to OT if we do it. Why you ask?

You will have two 4 year starters at LT and C
Clayborn proved he could play last year and will get nothing but better now with a year experience and maturity
Beckwith showed he belonged last year. He played like a mean SOB in those last 3 games.

So that would take care of 4 of the 5 positions. And then you have Malone- who has started in the SEC and was one of your 5 best last year- playing RT

At WR- we had Tubby have a decent year. Wilson was a true freshman and showed flashes. RoJo was decent as well. I think they will be ok- but this group has more to prove than any group we have and it's not close.

Coach 57
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Jake looked a WHOLE lot better in bowl prep. He actually showed good potential in preseason but you can tell he soaked up what Heav has been preaching. In my HONEST opinion...he's the next Derek Sherrod. I'm telling you we have a LOT of young lions on this team! The future of our FB program is REALLY bright! Get your shades out!

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I disagree. WR is the biggest question mark. And I like us moving Malone to OT if we do it. Why you ask?

You will have two 4 year starters at LT and C
Clayborn proved he could play last year and will get nothing but better now with a year experience and maturity
Beckwith showed he belonged last year. He played like a mean SOB in those last 3 games.

So that would take care of 4 of the 5 positions. And then you have Malone- who has started in the SEC and was one of your 5 best last year- playing RT

At WR- we had Tubby have a decent year. Wilson was a true freshman and showed flashes. RoJo was decent as well. I think they will be ok- but this group has more to prove than any group we have and it's not close.

Wow, I just disagree. I think our WR position is as settled as it has been since Mullen got here. Two Seniors in Lewis and Rojo, a sophomore in Bear, and solid backups with Morrow and Ross.

I hope you are right though, if WR is our biggest concern on offense, we are winning 10 games fellas.

HancockCountyDog
03-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Jake looked a WHOLE lot better in bowl prep. He actually showed good potential in preseason but you can tell he soaked up what Heav has been preaching. In my HONEST opinion...he's the next Derek Sherrod. I'm telling you we have a LOT of young lions on this team! The future of our FB program is REALLY bright! Get your shades out!

You just compared Jake Thomas to Derek Sherrod? That must have been one hell of bowl week prep.

engie
03-07-2014, 02:41 PM
At WR- we had Tubby have a decent year.

Let's not short-sell here. Lewis is the #1 returning WR in the SEC in terms of receiving yards and should very likely be preseason all-SEC in the slot...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140307-enzg-95kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140307-enzg-95kb)

Political Hack
03-07-2014, 02:45 PM
huge news for sure. biggest recruit of the year IMO. Absolutely a must have a gives us a lot of flexibility depending on how some of the less experienced guys play this spring and into fall camp.

Political Hack
03-07-2014, 02:47 PM
if RoJo makes another jump anywhere close to what he did last year he's going to be ungaurdable.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Wow, I just disagree. I think our WR position is as settled as it has been since Mullen got here. Two Seniors in Lewis and Rojo, a sophomore in Bear, and solid backups with Morrow and Ross.

I hope you are right though, if WR is our biggest concern on offense, we are winning 10 games fellas.

Are we talking settled or question marks about performing?

Those 5 lineman I named will perform and have performed. 4 of 5 of them will be in an NFL Training Camp after they leave State

Tubby played pretty well last year- but Bear and RoJo were spotty. MoJo dropped passes from Prescott all year long. Bear had the pass from Damien Williams hit him in the facemask vs Bama that would have closed the game to 20-14. RoJo averaged 2 catches and 33 yards receiving in our last 3 wins.

WR scares me alot more than our OL

AlSwearengen
03-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm excited to see the kid from TX (Ross?). He looked pretty good for a true freshman before he got hurt. He was also getting high praise throughout practice leading up to the first game.

sandwolf
03-07-2014, 04:20 PM
WR scares me alot more than our OL

This is surprising to me. I really hope you are right about our OL, but they are definitely the position group that I am the most nervous about....if we stay healthy, then we should be fine, but we always have injuries on the OL.

And I really feel ok about our WR's. We have an All-SEC caliber guy with Lewis, and I feel like De'Runnya Wilson could make a big jump next year and could potentially be a game changing type receiver.......I may be looking for too much out of Wilson as a sophomore, but considering the year that he had last year, after playing 1 year of HS football, I don't feel like it is completely unrealistic. After those two, we have RoJo, who is at the very least capable and also has the potential to be very good. Then we've got Chappelle, Morrow, F. Ross, F. Brown, Holloway, S. Christy, BJ Hammond, and Jamoral Graham to work with. So I feel like we ought to be able to field a WR corps that is at least capable, and potentially pretty damn good.

Coach 57
03-07-2014, 05:15 PM
You just compared Jake Thomas to Derek Sherrod? That must have been one hell of bowl week prep.

In the earlier stages of his career...yes. I actually think Jake is BETTER at this stage in his career than Derek was at this stage. I think Heav is a better OT coach than an OG coach. And Jake didn't get better in 1 week. I watch him preseason and then watched him again in (fall) bowl prep. The gap between his technique from preseason to post season was pretty dang awesome!

HoopsDawg
03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
In the earlier stages of his career...yes. I actually think Jake is BETTER at this stage in his career than Derek was at this stage. I think Heav is a better OT coach than an OG coach. And Jake didn't get better in 1 week. I watch him preseason and then watched him again in (fall) bowl prep. The gap between his technique from preseason to post season was pretty dang awesome!

That's ridiculous, Derek was our starting LT at the same stage. Jake will be lucky to see the field. Jake also has small arms which is a disadvantage at tackle.

Coach 57
03-08-2014, 12:34 PM
That's ridiculous, Derek was our starting LT at the same stage. Jake will be lucky to see the field. Jake also has small arms which is a disadvantage at tackle.

Lol, ok if YOU say so.