PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this to me. Archie Manning

AlSwearengen
03-07-2014, 12:20 AM
If I am remembering correctly, I believe that I have heard that Archie didn't like or want Payton to play for Brewer. I seem to remember that Archie didn't care for tuberville as well. Cutcliffe, he did like and olemiss hiring Cutcliffe was a stipulation for eli signing with olemiss. Archie was pissed about olemiss firing Cutcliffe and he wanted nothing to do with Orgeron. I don't recall hearing his feelings about Nutt.

Brewer, tuberville, and orgeron all have one thing in common. They are shady bastards. Just about everyone can agree that Cutcliffe was a decent guy and word was that the olemiss people didn't like him b/c he stymied some of their recruiting activities to a certain extent.

Where I am thrown off is with Freeze. I am under the impression that Archie is totally onboard with Freeze, yet Freeze has proven to be quite the shady fellow considering the recruiting shenanigans that have taken place in his two classes. Also, the fact that his players are running around acting like oxford is their version of Carcosa and Freeze is their yellow king. Raping, beating, bonging, thievery, and who knows what else.

Why is archie onboard with Freeze?

Dawg61
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM

Archie is the Spaghetti Faced monster with green ears

messageboardsuperhero
03-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Archie was on the selection committee and largely responsible for hiring Freeze in the first place. It would be kind of stupid if he wasn't onboard with Freeze.

Political Hack
03-07-2014, 12:35 AM

So is freeze the guy under the revival tent?

messageboardsuperhero
03-07-2014, 12:37 AM

I chuckled.

http://i.imgur.com/NApDSqo.jpg

BeardoMSU
03-07-2014, 12:40 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/4e8f39fdd89747cbbf31316ab9956a0b/tumblr_msu4g14SsM1qemo77o1_500.gif

BeardoMSU
03-07-2014, 12:41 AM
So is freeze the guy under the revival tent?

Naw, he's the Simple Jack without a dick who shits himself.....

BeardoMSU
03-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Thread highjack: Who can't wait til Sunday night? Season finale - its gonna be nuts.

Dawg61
03-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Naw, he's the Simple Jack without a dick who shits himself.....

I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to find a pic of him and I failed but this was who I was going to say is Freeze. Haha

Dawg61
03-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Thread highjack: Who can't wait til Sunday night? Season finale - its gonna be nuts.

So stoked for it! It needs to be 3 hours long though cause they've got a shit ton to put closure on. Btw go see the new 300 in imax3D. It's phenomenal!!

AlSwearengen
03-07-2014, 01:00 AM
Archie was on the selection committee and largely responsible for hiring Freeze in the first place. It would be kind of stupid if he wasn't onboard with Freeze.

Well, I'm thinking that if Archie isn't onboard with Freeze, he doesn't hire him. Maybe Archie isn't really behind Freeze, but had no other choice than to go along and hire him?

BeardoMSU
03-07-2014, 01:04 AM
I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to find a pic of him and I failed but this was who I was going to say is Freeze. Haha

Cheers.
http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/INDIEWIRE/2483cbd/2147483647/thumbnail/325x227%3E/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F c8%2Ffc%2F619b24634d55b5f6ec9139b6ca60%2Fresizes%2 F500%2Fepisode-03-04-1920.jpg

Schultzy
03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Archie knows the game and he knew he had enough stroke (and balls)to bypass ole miss's shitty program for an uber talented Peyton during the Tennessee heyday.

The hell he caught for that was recompensed for the cutcliffe hire in exchange for Eli coming there and righting the ship.

People forget the unmitigated hell Archie suffered when Peyton went to Tennessee. Eli saved the entire legacy by going to school there.

BeardoMSU
03-07-2014, 01:35 AM
And all it got them was a 9-3 season back before the SEC was the "SEC".

Schultzy
03-07-2014, 01:43 AM
That's right but it saved them from losing both of his sons. And Eli is the only reason they were good those few years.

Todd4State
03-07-2014, 01:54 AM
One thing people forget about Ole Miss at the time that they were recruiting Peyton- they were on probation and that included a TV ban, Billy Brewer being forced out over the summer and Joe Lee Dunn being the interim coach and a lot of uncertainty as to who their next coach was going to be, and a bowl ban. Their probation ended after the 1996 season meaning that if Peyton didn't redshirt, and he almost certainly wouldn't have if for no other reason than the fact that they needed something positive to sell he would have only been seen on TV his senior year and only had the opportunity to go to one bowl game in his entire career.

Now, I'm not saying that those things are THE reason why Peyton didn't go to Ole Miss, but I have to believe it figured in.

Todd4State
03-07-2014, 01:57 AM
That's right but it saved them from losing both of his sons. And Eli is the only reason they were good those few years.

What's sad is when Eli started for them they went:

7-5 with no bowl.
7-6 with an Independence Bowl win.
10-3 with a loss to Memphis.

Now they were better than we were at that time- but that was the dark days of Jackie's tenure at the end. So, I think some people think that they were better than they were under Eli. But aside from the last season they were merely average.

Todd4State
03-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Archie knows the game and he knew he had enough stroke (and balls)to bypass ole miss's shitty program for an uber talented Peyton during the Tennessee heyday.

The hell he caught for that was recompensed for the cutcliffe hire in exchange for Eli coming there and righting the ship.

People forget the unmitigated hell Archie suffered when Peyton went to Tennessee. Eli saved the entire legacy by going to school there.

You are correct and I remember how crazy it was when Peyton picked Tennessee. Ole Miss fans went completely nuts. In fact ESPN talked about it when they did the 30 for 30 on the Manning's. I could only imagine what it would be like if it had happened in today's world of Internet recruiting.

And by going completely nuts- I mean hanging Archie in effigy and wanting to un-retire his number. The only thing I can compare it to was when Lane Kiffen left Tennessee for USC.

Todd4State
03-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Well, I'm thinking that if Archie isn't onboard with Freeze, he doesn't hire him. Maybe Archie isn't really behind Freeze, but had no other choice than to go along and hire him?

I think they brought Archie in because:

1. He is highly respected in the football world obviously. He's the president of the National Football Foundation.

2. They really wanted and hoped to get Tony Dungy. Although I can't really see Dungy's personality fitting in well there to be honest with you.

I seen it dawg
03-07-2014, 06:58 AM
His personality? Don't think that would be the thing that wouldn't fit..

dickiedawg
03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Maybe he got tired of losing?

Honestly, I don't think UM folks think of freeze as a shady guy. They think he's this squeaky clean, legitimately faithful guy with a magnetic personality the recruits just can't say no to when he invites them to Bible Drill.

Dawgface
03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
You are correct and I remember how crazy it was when Peyton picked Tennessee. Ole Miss fans went completely nuts. In fact ESPN talked about it when they did the 30 for 30 on the Manning's. I could only imagine what it would be like if it had happened in today's world of Internet recruiting.

I remember an OM buddy saying how sad it was because Olivia was all teary eyed at the press conference when Peyton announced he was going to TN. He acted as though she was crying because he picked the vols over them. I told him shit man....she's crying because she's proud of him for being a man and not caving to the pressure of having to go where others wanted him to go. I've got a lot of respect for him to because of that.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 09:39 AM
My favorite part about the rivalry ever is Billy ****ing Brewer calling King Jackie "a habitual liar and cheater" and then Brewer being run out of his job just a couple years later for lying and cheating.

DawgHouseUnited
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Honestly, I don't think UM folks think of freeze as a shady guy. They think he's this squeaky clean, legitimately faithful guy with a magnetic personality the recruits just can't say no to when he invites them to Bible Drill.

^^^ This. All my OM friends see Rev. Freeze- the honest preacher on Sunday mornings. All the other stuff (beatings, rapes, slurs, etc) happen in spite of how good Freeze is, not because he's shady or hypocritical or anything.

War Machine Dawg
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
My favorite part about the rivalry ever is Billy ****ing Brewer calling King Jackie "a habitual liar and cheater" and then Brewer being run out of his job just a couple years later for lying and cheating.

The Kang say: "Billy doesn't know the meaning of 'habitual'."

paco
03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Don't forget that Archie offered Fedora before he offered Freeze.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Don't forget that Archie offered Fedora before he offered Freeze.

Freezus was about the 6th choice for them

M.Fillmore
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Coach you forgot to add that when a reporter asked Jackie about Brewer calling him a "habitual liar" Jackie replied with, "Billy can't even spell 'habitual.'"

M.Fillmore
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
This comes from a big bud with the Mannings who I know. He lives near Drew and has known the Mannings since DaddyManning was a little boy. I went to a birthday party for this guy and Khayat, Pete Boone, and Tubberville were all there. So yeah, he is connected at the Plantation as well.

He said, Tubberville didn't want E.Manning. You old farts may remember that when E.Manning got the top player at a camp UM had for juniors, the message board scuttlebutt was that Manning was the third best QB behind the QB from Newton (whose name I can't remember) and Kevin Fant. The Manning family friend said Tubberville didn't want to recruit E.Manning and only made one phone call to him. He just went through the motions so he could tell the alums that he was recruiting E.Manning. When Tubberville went to Auburn he signed the QB from Newton.

I have always wished that Lil' Bowden could have hung on for one more year at Auburn then Tubberville would have gone to Auburn and E.Manning could have gone to Tennessee or elsewhere. The bears hated Tuberville for leaving them but his leaving is how they got E.Manning.

LeakyD
03-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Jackie also responded to Brewer saying "I'm a habitual winner". Classic

Todd4State
03-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Jackie completely owned Brewer and Billy knew there was nothing he could do about it.

Goat Holder
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree with your last paragraph, and I agree that Tuberville wasn't going to land Eli. But I don't know that your story is the exact reason why. Jason Campbell is the QB you're talking about, from Taylorsville not Newton. But he was in the Class of 2000, while Fant/Eli were 1999. So they wouldn't be recruiting him at the time. I just cannot believe that Tuberville didn't want Eli, EVERYBODY wanted Eli. I think that was just Tuberville's excuse. I think it was the fact that Archie did not want Eli to play for Tuberville. If I remember correctly, Eli was headed to Texas until Cutcliffe was hired. THAT and that alone is what got Eli to Oxford.

Goat Holder
03-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't say he owned him. That's like saying if Ole Miss beats us next year in Oxford, that Freeze owns Mullen. We'd all know that not to be true. Owning is what Mullen did to Nutt. King Jackie simply won 2 home games against Dog, with them taking the one in Oxford (goal line stand game where we ran like 15 plays from the 2 and couldn't get in). Ole Miss almost beat us in 1994 when we were 8-3, and if Dog was coaching instead of Dunn they might've beaten us then.

Bottom line, Ole Miss was far from a doormat at that point. Dog's probation did him in. And it's not like King Jackie was recrootin lights out back in those days, it's a known fact he won with Rockey's players and when they ran out, so did his luck. Now he obviously resurrected it mid-season 1996, but up until we beat Alabama, Jackie was on the hot seat.

M.Fillmore
03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Jason Campbell is the QB you're talking about, from Taylorsville not Newton. But he was in the Class of 2000, while Fant/Eli were 1999. So they wouldn't be recruiting him at the time.

Nope. This kid was from Newton, he and Fant were the two top QBs in Mississippi that year. He was Tubb's top QB recruit for the bears and when Tubb went to Auburn he got the kid to sign and play there. He never played a whole lot. I guess Jason Campbell beat him out. You are right that Campbell was later and Campbell is from Taylorsville.

AlSwearengen
03-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I seem to remember a QB from Newton as well. We were so fixated on getting Fant that I don't think we went after him very hard. It also seems like a lot of people felt like the guy from newton was a better athlete than QB as well. Granted, I could be getting my players mixed up to a certain extent.

scottycameron
03-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I would think Archie liked Brewer. The first Manning signed with Brewer and Payton would have signed with Jo Lee, right?

LeakyD
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Among all the other NCAA troubles, Brewerwas reprimanded for commenting publicly about Peyton.

deltadawg99
03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Who did OM offer before Freeze?

Most OM people buy into the image of Freeze being squeaky clean, but every OM fan from memphis that I know is not a fan of Freeze. One told me "he is a good coach, but a terrible person." I know several people that played for him and can't stand him for various reasons.

RougeDawg
03-07-2014, 05:15 PM
The reason Archie didn't like Tubbs, is the same reason Auburn people didn't like him. He gave 0 ****s about money alumni trying to influence his decisions. Archie is and has been a closet supporter of pay what it takes to get a recruit. Hell, he resides in one of the most corrupt cities in the US. Freeze was one of the bagmen under Orgeron and didn't blink at any marching orders he received from alumni. Why wouldn't a corrupt Archie want a yes man at the helm? Acrhie is as two faced and hypocritical as Bucky. Two peas in a pod.

bannedwayne
03-07-2014, 10:06 PM
This comes from a big bud with the Mannings who I know. He lives near Drew and has known the Mannings since DaddyManning was a little boy. I went to a birthday party for this guy and Khayat, Pete Boone, and Tubberville were all there. So yeah, he is connected at the Plantation as well.

He said, Tubberville didn't want E.Manning. You old farts may remember that when E.Manning got the top player at a camp UM had for juniors, the message board scuttlebutt was that Manning was the third best QB behind the QB from Newton (whose name I can't remember) and Kevin Fant. The Manning family friend said Tubberville didn't want to recruit E.Manning and only made one phone call to him. He just went through the motions so he could tell the alums that he was recruiting E.Manning. When Tubberville went to Auburn he signed the QB from Newton.

I have always wished that Lil' Bowden could have hung on for one more year at Auburn then Tubberville would have gone to Auburn and E.Manning could have gone to Tennessee or elsewhere. The bears hated Tuberville for leaving them but his leaving is how they got E.Manning.

I'm calling bullshit on this story. Either you are lying, or your firend doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

The "QB from Newton" was Jason Campbell, a good QB but not the same age as Eli. You don't NOT sign a top QB (Eli) because another QB you like is coming up the next year (Campbell).

I don't know, maybe Tubby was that dumb, but I'm not believing it. I'd believe that maybe he didn't want Eli to be his only commit or guarantee a starting position, but not wanting to sign him is bullshit.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm calling bullshit on this story. Either you are lying, or your firend doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

The "QB from Newton" was Jason Campbell, a good QB but not the same age as Eli. You don't NOT sign a top QB (Eli) because another QB you like is coming up the next year (Campbell).

I don't know, maybe Tubby was that dumb, but I'm not believing it. I'd believe that maybe he didn't want Eli to be his only commit or guarantee a starting position, but not wanting to sign him is bullshit.

nooooooooooo- there was a QB from Newton highly rated that year. I also cant remember his name and hindsight is 20/20.

AlSwearengen
03-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Jason Campbell is from Taylorsville. His older brother played for us when he wasn't hurt.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Jason Campbell is from Taylorsville. His older brother played for us when he wasn't hurt.

Nobody is disputing this

scottycameron
03-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Nobody is disputing this

Was it Vaughn or something like that? Whoever it was I seriously doubt Tubs didn't want Eli. That makes zero sense.

Bully13
03-07-2014, 10:50 PM
I caught a pass from Archie when he played for the saints . and I'm 51. am I bullshitting?

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Here you go bitches:

Allen Tillman QB 6-1 190 Newton, Miss. (Newton HS)
Chose Auburn over LSU, Southern Mississippi, Ole Miss and Memphis. Member of Jackson (Miss) Clarion-Ledger Dandy Dozen. Threw for 1,398 and 18 TDs as a senior. Rushed for 618 yards and 10 TDs.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/rj/jkgillis/99recruit.html

Coach34
03-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I caught a pass from Archie when he played for the saints . and I'm 51. am I bullshitting?

Archie's last year with the Saints was 81- and that was 33 years ago- so unless you played for the Saints at 18 years old- yes- you are bullshitting...unless you are going to try and say it was a pass at a party or some shit

M.Fillmore
03-07-2014, 11:01 PM

Considering this is not the first time you have said stupid stuff here I'll take your dissent as a vote of credibility.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the QB from Newton. Allen/Allan something, but it wasn't Jason Campbell who was an underclassman that year. So that fact blows your whole post apart, but this isn't the first time we've seen you vomit ignorance on this board,

Bully13
03-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Archie's last year with the Saints was 81- and that was 33 years ago- so unless you played for the Saints at 18 years old- yes- you are bullshitting...unless you are going to try and say it was a pass at a party or some shit

LOL.. good post 34.. actually during the off season, Archie would go visit towns in the delta and hang out for an hour or so with kids. we would get to line up and run post patterns and he would loft passes and I'll never forget that catch. later there would be a raffle for a Saint's helmet. I only recall that one event so it wasn't like he did it every year. but that year in Greenwood, I caught my damned Archie Manning pass. Honest Injun.

Coach34
03-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Considering this is not the first time you have said stupid stuff here I'll take your dissent as a vote of credibility.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the QB from Newton. Allen/Allan something, but it wasn't Jason Campbell who was an underclassman that year. So that fact blows your whole post apart, but this isn't the first time we've seen you vomit ignorance on this board,

I found it for you

Allen Tillman QB 6-1 190 Newton, Miss. (Newton HS)
Chose Auburn over LSU, Southern Mississippi, Ole Miss and Memphis. Member of Jackson (Miss) Clarion-Ledger Dandy Dozen. Threw for 1,398 and 18 TDs as a senior. Rushed for 618 yards and 10 TDs.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/r...99recruit.html (http://webspace.webring.com/people/rj/jkgillis/99recruit.html)