PDA

View Full Version : What's our baseball RPI? And where's a link to find it every week?

Lloyd Christmas
03-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks Bro Nameths

Buddy
03-06-2014, 10:41 AM
I use boydsworld.com. I was in school with Boyd at MSU, great guy.

dickiedawg
03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Right now it's 57.

Memphis is No. 1, Holy Cross is 22, Western Carolina is 59. Ole Miss is 46.

bulldogcountry1
03-06-2014, 11:24 AM
It's pretty pointless to look at until at least halfway through the SEC schedule.

blacklistedbully
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Wow, according to Boyd, we are already mathematically unable to attain top 8 RPI. Guess our ROWP would have to jump for us to have a shot.

engie
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
www.warrennolan.com

It updates almost in real time. I visit that site just as much as I visit D1baseball -- as the two most-watched sites for college baseball. Boyds' was great at one time -- but it's dropped off tremendously the last couple of years. This year, he didn't even put out any of his preseason material...

engie
03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Wow, according to Boyd, we are already mathematically unable to attain top 8 RPI. Guess our ROWP would have to jump for us to have a shot.

Requires understanding how his RPI needs report works. It assumes the "current" RPI of the top teams will be their RPI at the end of the season -- which, at this point, basically assumes that South Carolina goes 56-0. All "top" teams experience RPI regression as they enter conference play -- which makes the number "re-obtainable".

Look at the actual RPI#. #8 right now, Fresno St, has a .6589 RPI. RPI #1 UNC finished last year with a .6362 RPI. #8(us) was a .6105. As of right now, a .6105 puts a team at #33.

Basically, the RPI needs report doesn't really become valid until the last month of the season. Which is why that's when he normally publishes it...

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-06-2014, 11:52 AM

What does ROWP stand for?

blacklistedbully
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Requires understanding how his RPI needs report works. It assumes the "current" RPI of the top teams will be their RPI at the end of the season -- which, at this point, basically assumes that South Carolina goes 56-0. All "top" teams experience RPI regression as they enter conference play -- which makes the number "re-obtainable".

Look at the actual RPI#. #8 right now, Fresno St, has a .6589 RPI. RPI #1 UNC finished last year with a .6362 RPI. #8(us) was a .6105. As of right now, a .6105 puts a team at #33.

Basically, the RPI needs report doesn't really become valid until the last month of the season. Which is why that's when he normally publishes it...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it mean the RPI's of our opponents would have to go up for us to have a chance at the Top 8 RPI? Since we are already at .620, and every time we win a series we can potentially drop their RPI, isn't it highly unlikely we can finish with any ROWP that is higher? I'm guessing the only way that could happen is if we dominate every team we play, and then they, in turn dominate everybody else they play.

maroonmania
03-06-2014, 01:30 PM

That sounds kind of stupid. You mean we could go 52-4 and not be Top 8 RPI?

engie
03-06-2014, 01:53 PM
That sounds kind of stupid. You mean we could go 52-4 and not be Top 8 RPI?

It basically assumes all the top 8 teams go undefeated the rest of the way, which obviously won't happen.

engie
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
What does ROWP stand for?

Remaining opponent win percentage

engie
03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it mean the RPI's of our opponents would have to go up for us to have a chance at the Top 8 RPI? Since we are already at .620, and every time we win a series we can potentially drop their RPI, isn't it highly unlikely we can finish with any ROWP that is higher? I'm guessing the only way that could happen is if we dominate every team we play, and then they, in turn dominate everybody else they play.

No. All the teams at the top are going to come back to us. We don't have to go catch them. We just have to keep winning.

For instance, a home win only counts as 0.7 win -- but a road win counts as 1.3. That factors into SOS as well. So, we win a few road games, while any of the top 8 teams lose a home game, then we are back at capable of catching them.

Really, it's ridiculous to even look at the needs report right now. It's not really usable for another month and a half or more...