PDA

View Full Version : Official USA Game Thread......

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Dawgs up 1-0 in the first, 0 outs, Detz on 3B & Rea on 1B.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Pirtle bloop single. USA LF dropped it. Detz scores. 2-0 good guys.

Dawg61
03-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Liking this score

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Why bunt there with Rea on second? We had that guy rattled- he hadn't gotten anyone out to that point...

bully99
03-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Boggles my mind why cohen continues to bunt with rea on base . Just amazes me some of the crap Cohen does.

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Holy cow! What a play. Just tip your cap.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM
I'd say approx. 50% of the bunts are called by Cohen and the other 50% are drag bunts to try to get a hit that the player decides to do on his own.

CrazyEyeKilla
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Detz with a solo shot to right. 3-0 dawgs.

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Home run by Detz makes it 3-0 Dawgs in the 3rd. Detz is 2-2 tonight and looks to be coming out of his slump.

Will James
03-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Why bunt there with Rea on second? We had that guy rattled- he hadn't gotten anyone out to that point...

Tallahassee regional 2012

Dawg61
03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Detz with a solo shot to right. 3-0 dawgs.

Atta boy Detz!!

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Preston Brown has a wicked breaking ball that these lefties can't hit. It almost looks like a slurve.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Home run by Detz makes it 3-0 Dawgs in the 3rd. Detz is 2-2 tonight and looks to be coming out of his slump.

This is good news. To be the team we're capable of being, we need Detz to hit.

Will James
03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Lingo gonna Lingo

Harrydawg
03-05-2014, 09:53 PM
That slider is lethal to a lefty

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Was that the first ball that's been hit in the air off Lindgren all season? I really can't remember another one.

Ball game. Final score 3-0 Dawgs.

Martianlander
03-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Didn't realize till just a while ago that the baseball game was on ESPN 3.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 09:56 PM
This is how midweek is going to be for us- Preston, Ross and then Lindgren and maybe Holder.

smootness
03-05-2014, 09:58 PM
This team is starting to look pretty good. We won't run-rule anybody, but our pitching and defense will be extremely hard to beat.

bully99
03-05-2014, 09:59 PM
This teams pitching is gonna have to be exceptional this year to accomplish anything. May have to be better than last year. Just too many weak sticks in this line-up.

Dallas_Dawg
03-05-2014, 10:04 PM
This is how midweek is going to be for us- Preston, Ross and then Lindgren and maybe Holder.
Why would we use our best arms midweek? Keep them in tune for the weekend?

smootness
03-05-2014, 10:07 PM
This teams pitching is gonna have to be exceptional this year to accomplish anything. May have to be better than last year. Just too many weak sticks in this line-up.

Haha good grief, dude.

maroonmania
03-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Exactly, we used Ross for 4+ innings tonight. Who saves Woodruff's bacon if he has to get pulled in the 2nd or 3rd inning Friday?

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Exactly, we used Ross for 4+ innings tonight. Who saves Woodruff's bacon if he has to get pulled in the 2nd or 3rd inning Friday?

Good question. This puts more pressure on Woodruff to step up on Friday (which might not necessarily be a bad thing). I'm hoping that getting Woodruff a start away from home helps him settle down some, plus the weather in AZ will probably be better.

One thing that concerns me is that we play our double header on Friday instead of Saturday, so we better have plenty of pitching saved up.

Lefthandersrule
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Thought for a second they were gonna bring in Holder! I guess they learned after Memphis!

Bully13
03-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Didn't realize till just a while ago that the baseball game was on ESPN 3.

I don't see our game on espn3 at all.. . not on replay or anything

smootness
03-05-2014, 10:17 PM

That might tell us that we were more concerned about this game than any this weekend.

Sandman14
03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
jeez what a joke about "exceptional to do anything." first off, the pitching IS exceptional. second, I seem to recall a run starting with central arkansas last season of something like 4 losing weekends in a row? no one gave us squat. I knew then we were really good (although Omaha looked bleak, I must admit) and I know now we are really good.

you can't win when you can't score. the majority of innings on SEC weekend will be pitched by guys you rarely score on. great pitching beats great hitting every time, especially in college baseball right now.

we are a top 10 team in the nation. how much better than that? we won't know until we see how much guys buy into cohen's philosphy of being meat grinders at the plate. since I think cohen is the best coach around, I fee very confident we will only get better and better until we are pounding out double digit hits the majority of the games late in the season.

ross will be able to 4 innings on friday if we need him. he's proven that.

I seen it dawg
03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Haha good grief, dude.

Ditto that, damn.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Why would we use our best arms midweek? Keep them in tune for the weekend?

They're important games. To me, a lot of times the midweek games are what make or break your resume. Whether that be a National Seed, a host spot, or a just getting in. Ask Arkansas. They not only scheduled a bunch of SWAC teams- but the also lost most of their meaningful OOC games against people like Nebraska.

The rest of our midweek OOC is respectable for the most part:

Southern Illinois (7-3), SEMO State (6-6), USM in Pearl, Alcorn (SWAC), Ole Miss in Pearl, and Jacksonville State (6-4)

And while respectable, we also can't afford an upset.

Now- as far as our best arms: Obviously it's going to be game dependent, but at the very least I suspect that we will see a Preston Brown/Ross Mitchell piggy back combo and then go from there. Obviously if the game is 15-0 MSU we're probably not going to use Lindgren and are going to use someone like Vance Tatum or Zac Houston. Against Alcorn, we might start Sexton or even Hudson- but that's probably going to be a Johnny Wholestaff game.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 10:28 PM

We might see Bracewell Friday. We'll see, but that's my guess.

At any rate it's risky and counterproductive to everyone on our team to keep trotting Woddruff out there against the other teams aces while he is trying to regain full command.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Thought for a second they were gonna bring in Holder! I guess they learned after Memphis!

I figured that they would go back to Lindgren just because he had only thrown one pitch in the 8th. Good opportunity to see if he could handle being the closer.

bully99
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
THE game was on espn3 - It was a simulcast of the hailstate feed.

So where are all the great sticks, all you smart people. Doesn't mean you can't have a good year, I just don't see a great offense. All you haters, stop the hate.

I seen it dawg
03-05-2014, 10:39 PM
The offense is coming together. Sit back and wait nancy.

smootness
03-05-2014, 10:43 PM
THE game was on espn3 - It was a simulcast of the hailstate feed.

So where are all the great sticks, all you smart people. Doesn't mean you can't have a good year, I just don't see a great offense. All you haters, stop the hate.

Haters?

I don't think anyone has said we'll have a great offense, but you don't need a ton of power hitters to score runs. Vickerson, Detz, Pirtle, and Henderson all look like they're going to be very good hitters this year. Rea is Rea. And then we have a pretty good selection of talented young hitters, from which one or two will probably emerge.

It's just funny to see you enter every baseball thread and try to throw cold water on everything. 'To accomplish anything'? That just sounds dumb after this team played for the national title last year. I think at some point you're just going to have to accept that John Cohen is a great coach and this team is really good.

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
We're averaging over 7 runs/game since we got our lineup and personnel somewhat settled. Our offense probably won't be dynamic or powerful this year- but I don't expect it to be anemic or a hinderance either.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
We might see Bracewell Friday. We'll see, but that's my guess.

At any rate it's risky and counterproductive to everyone on our team to keep trotting Woddruff out there against the other teams aces while he is trying to regain full command.

Shut it, Todd. You don't know shit about baseball. You're just an armchair coach watching on HSTV. /Goat

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
We're sixth in the SEC in hitting against a pretty difficult OOC schedule and we lead the SEC in stolen bases. We're not the 1927 Yankees but we're not bad either.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Shut it, Todd. You don't know shit about baseball. You're just an armchair coach watching on HSTV. /Goat

LOL.

smootness
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
We're sixth in the SEC in hitting against a pretty difficult OOC schedule and we lead the SEC in stolen bases. We're not the 1927 Yankees but we're not bad either.

Nope, judy hitters.

Saltydog
03-06-2014, 07:37 AM
goes into hibernation at times. Not sure we had a hit past the 4 or 5th inning last night.