03-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Based on performance thus far:
Starters:
1. Bracewell
2. Fitts
3. Sexton
4. Hudson
5. Woodruff
Comments: Hudson is doing fine as a true frosh. Woodruff is the only pitcher that gets a low grade on the entire staff. I hope he can turn it around as the weather gets warmer.

Relievers:
1. Lindgren
2. Cox
3. Holder
4. Mitchell
5. Gentry
6. P.Brown
Comments: Outstanding!!! There are no weaknesses in this group. Lindgren is a shut-down pitcher. If Gentry and Brown decrease their BB's, the opponents will stand no chance against this group. Absolutely the best bullpen in my thirty-eight years of following MSU Baseball.

Mop Up:
1. Houston
2. Laster
3. Tatum
Comments: These youngsters are looking to gain experience to compete for time on the mound next year.

RAYn_Man
03-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Soooo Ross Mitchell is our 4th best reliever? You ever been to a game?

preachermatt83
03-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Soooo Ross Mitchell is our 4th best reliever? You ever been to a game?

Surely he can't be ranking them... not the relievers. If so then.. No, Just NO!! Ross Mitchell is the greatest pitcher at MSU in my lifetime. I would also say he should have included P. Brown in with the starters. Tonight will mark his 3rd start of the year.

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Good Lord, son. Real Deal Rubber Arm Mitchell is our #1 pitcher regardless of where they pitch. PERIOD.

preachermatt83
03-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Good Lord, son. Real Deal Rubber Arm Mitchell is our #1 pitcher regardless of where they pitch. PERIOD.

AMEN!

BeardoMSU
03-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Hear, hear.

Homedawg
03-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Cue will James w a lindgren. And don't misinterpret, I think has a chance to be special, bit his performance hasn't matched Ross at this point for sure.

paco
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Ranking Bullpen Stats by Catagory:
OBA - Lindgren .095; Gentry .043; Brown .186; Mitchell .200; Cox.222; Holder .273
BB/K Ratio: Holder 0.11; Cox 0.17; Lindgren 0.21; Mitchell 0.31; Gentry 0.63; Brown 0.64
h/9ip: Lindgren 2.70; Gentry 3.85; Mitchell 6.00; Brown 6.00; Cox 7.71; Holder 10.80
Pitchers Index (the most telling of all stats): Lindgren -7.00; Cox -3.85; Holder 0.00; Mitchell 3.00; Gentry 3.85; Brown 4.50

One may notice that Mitchell is in the top three in only one catagory. I love Mitchell. I also love baseball by the numbers so that my feelings don't get in the way of reality.

RayMan, Preacher, Goat - your feelings are fine but your baseball depth is shallow.

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Bwa ha ha ha ha OK sunshine

Numbers don't lie, but they don't always tell the whole truth. Remember that.

If I have to pick one MSU pitcher to get me through an inning, I'm going Real Deal and so are you.

Sandman14
03-05-2014, 09:05 PM
hey paco, then how do you balance whether those stats were accumulated vs. better/lesser teams?

also, why not expand your stats a little and take into account the last two years? or at least last year? didn't holder and ross go a whole season with a sub 1.00 ERA? didn't holder have a 0.0 ERA for most of the year 2 years ago?

I'd have to argue that baseball stats this time of year are subject to anomalies and skewed by opponents. I'm sure we have hitters performing better than detz at this point, but detz has proven he can be right at the top in on base percentage in the best league in america for a whole season.

I'd guess when clayton kershaw or felix hernandez gets off to a lesser start than other other pitchers on their respective teams, that doesn't mean they are lesser pitchers.

smootness
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't care what the numbers say, Ross Mitchell is absolutely our best pitcher.

That said, Lindgren has been filthy this year. I'm definitely starting to question whether we should start him or not. At the same time, Lindgren for 2-3 innings throwing as hard as he wants whenever you want him is pretty darn valuable, too.

Sandman14
03-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Not even close to as valuable as having a front line ace. I said a few days ago I think Lindgren should get another shot at starting.

Will James
03-06-2014, 07:40 AM
If we are only going to use Lingo like we have been then he needs to start because only throwing 8 of our 135 innings is retarded. Big reason why we have four losses.

shoeless joe
03-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Why is Craig kimbrel not a starter for the braves?!?! Why did Mariano not get another shot at starter?!?!? **

I don't necessarily disagree that him starting again should be an option but some guys have a totally different mentality outta the pen and that's where they flourish. I'm goin to trust that butch and Cohen know this and we are using our guys in a way that maximizes their potential.

dickiedawg
03-06-2014, 08:46 AM
If someone were to get a shot at weekend rotation, bracewell deserves that chance. Someone needs to step up and fill that Friday night shut down role, because 5-4 on Fridays won't cut it this year. Here's hoping woody turns it around.

thedawg
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I understand why its a popular idea to put Lindgren back starting... I would like to play devils advocate and vote against it... He has been lights out in his role this year after struggling mightily a year ago starting... Lets not mess up a good thing and take a chance to destroy his confidence

Will James
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Lets not mess up a good thing

It's not a good thing that he has only thrown 6% of our innings.

thedawg
03-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Surely you realize they are gonna stretch him out alot more on SEC weekends

Will James
03-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Surely you realize they are gonna stretch him out alot more on SEC weekends

Well we'll see. He was our 4th out of the pen in a key loss earlier this year is what I'm getting at.

thedawg
03-06-2014, 09:59 AM
We have so many arms... there are gonna be some hurt feelings of good pitchers

AlSwearengen
03-06-2014, 11:30 AM
I think Cohen is being Cohen when it comes to Lindgren. I imagine that when SEC play begins, Lindgren and Mitchell are 1a and 1b out of the pen. I am thinking right now that Cohen is getting as many innings that he can for the other pitchers in order to get them experience and find out who he can count on.