PDA

View Full Version : Hard to believe, 10 years ago MSU BB was completing a run to the SEC title....

maroonmania
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
and an undefeated road record. Now I just feel like we've fallen and we can't get up. :(

Dawg61
03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Sweet we are now like Colorado in football.

engie
03-05-2014, 04:29 PM
You also thought Cohen had a legitimate chance to miss a regional at one point last year. http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?104787-At-this-point-with-our-erratic-starting-pitching-I-m-no-longer-worried-about&highlight=regional

Let it play out**

MadDawg
03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
You also thought Cohen had a legitimate chance to miss a regional at one point last year. http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?104787-At-this-point-with-our-erratic-starting-pitching-I-m-no-longer-worried-about&highlight=regional

Let it play out**

And you thought we were going to lose out last year and fire Mullen. How did that work out?

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?116495-Pretty-telling-that-Stricklin-hasn-t-tweeted-since-about-3pm-yesterday&p=939027#post939027

Coach34
03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Hard to believe its been 18 years since we advanced past the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney

engie
03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
And you thought we were going to lose out last year and fire Mullen. How did that work out?

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?116495-Pretty-telling-that-Stricklin-hasn-t-tweeted-since-about-3pm-yesterday&p=939027#post939027

Go ahead and point me to the "losing out" quote... Or I'll settle for where I ever "thought" we were going to fire Mullen... Surely you can do that and aren't spinning bullshit as usual?

But I'm guessing you don't realize a big ass difference between what you said -- and what I actually said.

Is this where I need to bring back up your comparison between Cohen and Croom -- or would you like me to find all the other laughable ass things you said about baseball in year 2 of the rebuild?

The difference between me and you is that I admitted that Mullen proved me wrong in the Egg Bowl -- and owned it on both boards.
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?118980-Ima-need-a-helping-all-I-can-eat-crow!&highlight=Mullen
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?9540-Engie-texted-me-and-ate-his-crow

Feel free to point me to your ownership of your stupidity about Cohen. Since, I obviously missed it. I did, however, catch your excuses and backtracking when Coach and I busted you out with it awhile back...

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 05:09 PM
At least let the man finish the season. If he beats South Carolina, does that buy him a little loyalty, at least for another year?

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Honestly I think our 2004 accomplishments were better than Alabama's that year. I'm not like alot of you guys where postseason runs make or break a coach. Tournaments are there to determine a champ. If you don't win it, what does it matter? Obviously metrics like the Final Four or Omaha are benchmarks of success, but who really cares if you get the Ch'ip series and don't win it? I don't.

I think winning the SEC Ch'ip, going 26-4 (14-2) and getting bounced in the second round is better than going 20-13 (8-8) with a miracle run to the Elite 8. Just my opinion.

So in essence I think we hit another program pinnacle in 2004. So 10 years. The 18 number is irrelevant, to me.

Brad Stevens
03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Honestly I think our 2004 accomplishments were better than Alabama's that year. I'm not like alot of you guys where postseason runs make or break a coach. Tournaments are there to determine a champ. If you don't win it, what does it matter? Obviously metrics like the Final Four or Omaha are benchmarks of success, but who really cares if you get the Ch'ip series and don't win it? I don't.

I think winning the SEC Ch'ip, going 26-4 (14-2) and getting bounced in the second round is better than going 20-13 (8-8) with a miracle run to the Elite 8. Just my opinion.

So in essence I think we hit another program pinnacle in 2004. So 10 years. The 18 number is irrelevant, to me.

I can agree with this. That was a fun season to watch and be a part of as a fan. It was a shame we ran into a red-hot Xavier team in the second round. That was a great season with a great team of seemingly unselfish players.

drunkernhelldawg
03-05-2014, 05:43 PM

I agree with this too. The whole idea that we are playing the game for our national image ignores the people who can actually enjoy winning the games, Mississippi State Baaassskettballllll fans, doin' it Mississippi State Style. It's about the games, not the records.

MadDawg
03-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Go ahead and point me to the "losing out" quote...

We are not going 6-6 this year IMO - engie 10/25/13

Or I'll settle for where I ever "thought" we were going to fire Mullen

Look -- a bunch of people want Mullen gone at the end of this year barring something unforeseen(myself included). engie 10/27/13

Surely you can do that and aren't spinning bullshit as usual?

Someone is spinning, and I'm guessing it's the guy that has flip-flopped on Mullen about 3 times in the last 2 years. The same person who loves to point out anybody else having a change of mind about an MSU coach.

Is this where I need to bring back up your comparison between Cohen and Croom -- or would you like me to find all the other laughable ass things you said about baseball in year 2 of the rebuild?

It's what you usually do, engie. Of course, you think it's fine for you to do complete 180?s about what YOU think about a particular coach. But if anyone else does it, you make it your job to point out how stupid they are at ever opportunity.

The difference between me and you is that I admitted that Mullen proved me wrong in the Egg Bowl -- and owned it on both boards.
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?118980-Ima-need-a-helping-all-I-can-eat-crow!&highlight=Mullen
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?9540-Engie-texted-me-and-ate-his-crow

The only real difference, is you give yourself a pass for saying stupid things. Not something you afford to anyone else.

Feel free to point me to your ownership of your stupidity about Cohen. Since, I obviously missed it. I did, however, catch your excuses and backtracking when Coach and I busted you out with it awhile back...

So when someone else admits they were wrong it's "Excuses and backtracking" but when the almighty engie does it it's "owning it".

engie
03-05-2014, 05:57 PM
So when someone else admits they were wrong it's "Excuses and backtracking" but when the almighty engie does it it's "owning it".
Where did you admit you were wrong?

Go ahead and point me to the "losing out" quote...

We are not going 6-6 this year IMO - engie 10/25/13
10/25/2013. At which point, we were 4-3 with 5 games to go. Not very good at math are you? Otherwise, I'm sure you can show me a quote about 4-8(you can't).

Or I'll settle for where I ever "thought" we were going to fire Mullen

Look -- a bunch of people want Mullen gone at the end of this year barring something unforeseen(myself included). engie 10/27/13
There's a difference between what I "wanted" to happen and what I "thought" was going to happen. That was a weak ass effort even for you -- which is saying something.

Surely you can do that and aren't spinning bullshit as usual?

Someone is spinning, and I'm guessing it's the guy that has flip-flopped on Mullen about 3 times in the last 2 years. The same person who loves to point out anybody else having a change of mind about an MSU coach.

Surely you can link me to this mass mind-changing. I've changed my mind ONCE since Mullen was hired -- when the team quit on him for about 15 games straight. And I have since simply gotten back on the fence -- EXACTLY like I said I would be if he managed to get to 6-6. Once < 3x.

When did you change your mind about Stansbury? Oh -- wait**

It's what you usually do, engie. Of course, you think it's fine for you to do complete 180?s about what YOU think about a particular coach. But if anyone else does it, you make it your job to point out how stupid they are at ever opportunity.
Ah -- so I was the one that started the shit between me and you in this thread? Funny -- looks like that was you.

The only real difference, is you give yourself a pass for saying stupid things. Not something you afford to anyone else.
These stupid things that you have yet to show me, obviously...

C222
03-05-2014, 06:09 PM

That was an awesome year, but I want that Elite 8 run.

shannondawg
03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Hard to believe its been 18 years since we advanced past the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney

Don't get your hopes up anytime in the next decade about being back.

MadDawg
03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I've said several times that I was wrong about Cohen. And even back then, I stated several times that by his track record we know he's a good coach.

10/25/2013. At which point, we were 4-3 with 5 games to go. Not very good at math are you? Otherwise, I'm sure you can show me a quote about 4-8(you can't).

So tell us engie. With all the doom and gloom you saw on the horizon from a coaching staff that "sucks", were you predicting us to beat Arkansas in Little Rock for the first time in school history? Or was it the Bears who were 5-3 at the time?

There's a difference between what I "wanted" to happen and what I "thought" was going to happen.

So if I would have said you "wanted" to fire Mullen instead of you "thought" we would fire Mullen, you would have just agreed with my post and moved on? Bullshit. The reality is you were wrong on both accounts. What you wanted to happen didn't (fire Mullen) and what you thought would happen didn't (going 4-8 or even 5-7).

Surely you can link me to this mass mind-changing. I changed my mind once last year.

You liked Mullen before last year. You wanted him fired at the end of last year. You now like Mullen again. That sounds like 3 different positions on Mullen in 1+ years. And for the record, I don't really give a shit if you change your mind on Mullen. But when you go to the archives multiple times daily to find old posts from people that have had an opinion on a coach that didn't pan out, in order to ridicule them, you should be called out when you do the same damn thing.

These stupid things that you have yet to show me, obviously...

You mean like this?

"Are we a better team right now than we were in 2009 with Tyson Lee? Truthfully -- we aren't." engie 10/25/13

Coach34
03-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Yeah- Gimme that Elite 8 run every time. Winning the SEC Title makes it close though.

maroonmania
03-05-2014, 06:39 PM
At least let the man finish the season. If he beats South Carolina, does that buy him a little loyalty, at least for another year?

I really didn't intend this in any way to be a bash Rick Ray post. I was just thinking its so disheartening thinking about the level our program was at 10 years ago compared to where it is now. And the slide backwards obviously started well before Ray coming on the scene. I still remember sitting in Coleman Coliseum watching us comeback and win in OT to clinch sole possession of the SEC title in a MUCH better SEC at the time. Now we are bottom feeders in a bottom feeder league.

engie
03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I've said several times that I was wrong about Cohen. And even back then, I stated several times that by his track record we know he's a good coach.
Even more excuses. You literally can't just say it and leave it at that. Just own it without making a million excuses.

So tell us engie. With all the doom and gloom you saw on the horizon from a coaching staff that "sucks", were you predicting us to beat Arkansas in Little Rock for the first time in school history? Or was it the Bears who were 5-3 at the time?
Show me where I said the staff "sucks"?

And, yes, for the most part I expected to win in Little Rock -- where were were favored -- and knew we would be all year. How many have we lost as favorites under Mullen? Correct answer -- None since the first game of 2011 -- and only 2 in his entire tenure.

So if I would have said you "wanted" to fire Mullen instead of you "thought" we would fire Mullen, you would have just agreed with my post and moved on?
..at 5-7...which is the key part you are leaving off. Yes. It would have been the truth -- something that thusfar in this argument and generally overall always eludes you.

Bullshit. The reality is you were wrong on both accounts. What you wanted to happen didn't (fire Mullen) and what you thought would happen didn't (going 4-8 or even 5-7).
Good -- so in my history on message boards -- you found one thing I was "wrong" about -- in 2 overtime games, no less. Beat the hell out of that drum though...

You liked Mullen before last year. You wanted him fired at the end of last year. You now like Mullen again. That sounds like 3 different positions on Mullen in 1+ years.
First -- I don't "like" Mullen again -- I'm sitting on the fence and giving him a chance to win me back. And there's a BIG ASS DIFFERENCE between "3 different positions" and "changing your mind 3 times". Jesus, your terminology is terrible. Quit moving the goal posts.

And for the record, I don't really give a shit if you change your mind on Mullen. But when you go to the archives multiple times daily to find old posts from people that have had an opinion on a coach that didn't pan out, in order to ridicule them, you should be called out when you do the same damn thing.
How about accurately representing my actual position then? That too much to ask? Obviously -- in your case -- it is.

You mean like this?

"Are we a better team right now than we were in 2009 with Tyson Lee? Truthfully -- we aren't." engie 10/25/13
At the time of the post, it was 100% true. It's funny that you are hedging your entire argument on this on things that happened LONG after when my post was made -- in the heat of the moment on gameday -- directly after we beat a 2-10 Kentucky team with a new coach by a shoestring tackle in their lights-out recruiting coach's first year.

NOBODY was pissed about the last 3 weekends of the season. And if I had seen that effort throughout -- I would have never gotten off the bandwagon in the first place. And the fact is -- I haven't even been "proven" wrong on my overall position at all yet. Mullen bought himself more time. And will have the chance to "prove" me wrong next year.

But, I'm sure, much like the Stansbury argument that Coach ended up winning -- you will never let it go nor admit defeat...

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
At the time of the post, it was 100% true.
It still is. We were 5-7 against the #1 schedule in the country. The following year we ended #15 and if we'd been in any other conference, we'd have been in the Top 5. We went 6-6 against another hard schedule this year. So, while you were right about 2009, you were dead wrong about how Mullen should be fired. But you've owned that, I'm not trying to jump into ya'lls pissing contest. Just putting out facts.

NOBODY was pissed about the last 3 weekends of the season.
I was. The Auburn game was a coaching disaster. We didn't make them earn that game. That's the most pissed off I've EVER been at Dan Mullen. I think we got better as the season went along. All of you guys got madder, I saw positives. It all finally game together at the end (luckily, I might add).

Back to the 'who was more wrong' contest.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
The fact of the matter is if Dan had lost the Egg Bowl to finish 5-7 last year he was gone. His special teams unit almost killed him- a blocked punt for a TD against us plus a missed 30 something yard field goal with the ball in the middle of the field. There's a reason that he gave someone else the special teams coach mantle after years of being hard headed about it. Dak and Nickoe basically saved his bacon.

It is what it is and I'm happy that it turned out the way it did- we're going to be really good the next two years whether Dan is our coach or whether Bobby Hall is our coach. I'm happy that Dan will have an opportunity to reap the benefits of what he has built.

engie
03-05-2014, 07:17 PM
I was. The Auburn game was a coaching disaster. We didn't make them earn that game. That's the most pissed off I've EVER been at Dan Mullen. I think we got better as the season went along. All of you guys got madder, I saw positives. It all finally game together at the end (luckily, I might add). .

I was strictly talking about the last 3 games -- Bama, Arky, OM...

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Ha, yeah. I guess I have to own that braindead moment.

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 07:38 PM
The fact of the matter is if Dan had lost the Egg Bowl to finish 5-7 last year he was gone.
Uhh....NO, he wasn't.

Todd4State
03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Uhh....NO, he wasn't.

Believe what you will.

grinnindawg
03-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Yep. This team can hang for about 10 minutes, then they are done.

They don't play defense well at all.

Wonder when the last time we were last in FG% defense for a season?

Don't know why I keep watching, guess I'm doing penance for something.

Goat Holder
03-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I will. What you say is simply not true.

My free advice to you: Insert "in my opinion" after everything you say. When you proclaim to be an expert, but your sources/knowledge is faulty, well, it's not a good combination. That pretentiousness rubs people the wrong way. Doesn't bother me, because I know better. But I'm just telling you.

TheDogFather
03-06-2014, 02:10 AM

Rick Ray can't spell NCAA

Todd4State
03-06-2014, 03:16 AM

My free advice to you: Insert "in my opinion" after everything you say. When you proclaim to be an expert, but your sources/knowledge is faulty, well, it's not a good combination. That pretentiousness rubs people the wrong way. Doesn't bother me, because I know better. But I'm just telling you.

I've never proclaimed to be an expert on anything sports related. I have had other people refer to me as an "expert"- in particular when it comes to baseball, but I apparently don't take it as serious as you. That doesn't make me pretentious. It makes you jealous though, and that's not my problem. It obviously bothers you enough to "just tell me."

On this issue, I have my sources and I feel pretty good about what they had to say on this issue. Like I said, if they are wrong- so be it. I'm not trying to be "right" all the time or an "expert". I am simply contributing to the conversation. And like I said if you choose to not believe what I had to say, that is your choice. I don't really care one way or the other.

You being ignorant doesn't make me pretentious.

SouthMsDawg
03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Just give Rick Ray 5 more years and we will be right back there.

blacklistedbully
03-06-2014, 11:16 AM

I don't see you putting, "in my opinion" after most of your posts. How is that different?

T4S is a solid poster that provides well-thought-out, intelligent, often-informed posts, whether I agree with them or not, and most of the time, I do. He gets a ton of respect on this board, and for good reason, "in my opinion".

MadDawg
03-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Show me where I said the staff "sucks"?

"We're last in the SEC in recruiting. And we're damn near full. We're on probation. The 2 teams we've consistently beaten(OM and Kentucky) are mopping the floor with us in recruiting. Coaching sucks. Not only does it suck -- but it's become laxidasical." engie 10/25/13

You would think the king of the archives would know what the **** he said 4 months ago.

engie
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
"We're last in the SEC in recruiting. And we're damn near full. We're on probation. The 2 teams we've consistently beaten(OM and Kentucky) are mopping the floor with us in recruiting. Coaching sucks. Not only does it suck -- but it's become laxidasical." engie 10/25/13

You would think the king of the archives would know what the **** he said 4 months ago.

LOL at the hoops you are jumping through to try to make a nonexistent point...
"Coaching sucks"(as of Oct 25 -- directly after surviving a 2-10 UK team by a shoestring tackle in front of 30,000 at Davis Wade) /=/ "our staff sucks". But you are obviously going to twist it as much as you can at this point -- so twist away...

MadDawg
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
LOL at the hoops you are jumping through to try to make a nonexistent point...

Jumping through hoops? You asked for proof that you said it. Then when I provide proof, you whine about the "hoops" I'm jumping through. WTF.

"Coaching sucks"(as of Oct 25 -- directly after surviving a 2-10 UK team by a shoestring tackle in front of 30,000 at Davis Wade) /=/ "our staff sucks". But you are obviously going to twist it as much as you can at this point -- so twist away...

And when I made my comments critical of Cohen it was after embarrassing losses. Did that give me a pass in your book? **** no. You linked them all to show how dumb I was. But you never hold yourself the same standard you do everyone else.

Homedawg
03-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Believe what you will.

This isn't true. Sorry he wasn't getting canned. Seat warm? Sure. Fired? Nope. Wasn't happening.

MS_half-step
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Talk about thread hijack.
That was a great season and my senior year at state. Remember gathering around to watch/listen to every game and then catch the new episode of the Chappelle show. Wednesdays were great. That team was clutch though, always pulled it out until damn Xavier. I knew we were screwed when LR went down with a knee scare against Vandy in the SECT.

HoopsDawg
03-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Talk about thread hijack.
That was a great season and my senior year at state. Remember gathering around to watch/listen to every game and then catch the new episode of the Chappelle show. Wednesdays were great. That team was clutch though, always pulled it out until damn Xavier. I knew we were screwed when LR went down with a knee scare against Vandy in the SECT.

It was a great year, but very telling that the coaches didn't vote Stansbury coach of the year after going undefeated on the road in the conference.

TheDogFather
03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Just give Rick Ray 5 more years and we will be right back there.

5 years total or five more? Cause at this rate he'll need fifty.

drunkernhelldawg
03-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Yep. This team can hang for about 10 minutes, then they are done.

They don't play defense well at all.

Wonder when the last time we were last in FG% defense for a season?

Don't know why I keep watching, guess I'm doing penance for something.

Bravo for you. Hanging with the team. That's a lot of what we need.

drunkernhelldawg
03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
It was a great year, but very telling that the coaches didn't vote Stansbury coach of the year after going undefeated on the road in the conference.

If I remember right, one of the other coaches made a better story for the award. Don't remember exactly who or why, but I remember not being upset about it.