PDA

View Full Version : We ran 74.2 plays per game in 2013, good for 4th in the SEC.

Maroons
03-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I've also seen other metrics that put our pace of play at one of the slowest in the country. This seems like a great combination going forward, especially with our returning D. Not really sure if this indicates a lack of explosive plays or not - don't have those stats in front of me.

On my phone, so maybe someone else can link the article from the ESPN SEC blog.

FISHDAWG
03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm not so sure that a slow pace of play for our Offense isn't such a bad thing ... anything to keep opposing defenses on the field ... that's why I don't get to upset with the ding and dump that we run so much of

Political Hack
03-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I love the ball control offense. Especially when we play OM, Auburn, and A&M in our division every year. Makes a lot of sense.

Running a lot of plays and controlling the pace of play shows how efficient we can be. Pretty damn impressive IMO.

Political Hack
03-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I love the ball control offense. Especially when we play OM, Auburn, and A&M in our division every year. Makes a lot of sense.

Running a lot of plays and controlling the pace of play shows how efficient we can be. Pretty damn impressive IMO.

Dawg61
03-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure we were tops or close to it in the SEC in causing 3 and outs.

DawgHouseUnited
03-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I love the ball control offense... Pretty damn impressive IMO.

That's what I grew up thinking- control the ball, wear down the D and keep their offense off the field.

messageboardsuperhero
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
That has more to do with our defense getting off the field, IMO. Like 61 said, we forced a lot of 3 and out last year.

tcdog70
03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
3 and outs by the defense= more plays by the offense.

having Dak and His ability to make first downs with both His feet AND arm-Is a huge PLUS

Political Hack
03-05-2014, 03:17 PM
it's a combo of both. you don't get to that number without being able to convert on 3rd downs. We we're pretty bad in that area early on in the season so our end of year numbers were probably pretty ridiculous.

Maroons
03-05-2014, 03:25 PM
The difference between 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 3 is enormous.

Political Hack
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
The difference between 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 3 is enormous.

Dak's development during the season had a lot to do with that. He was abysmal in 3rd downs at the start of the season, but you're right that once he started managing 1st and 2nd down better we improved dramatically. 3rd and 8 plus is still going to be kryptonite for this offense next year though.

tcdog70
03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Dak's development during the season had a lot to do with that. He was abysmal in 3rd downs at the start of the season, but you're right that once he started managing 1st and 2nd down better we improved dramatically. 3rd and 8 plus is still going to be kryptonite for this offense next year though.

with the emergence of Tubby and the Bear added to the feet of Dak-3 and 8 might be easier that it has ever been. Tubby with an underneath route or bear with a sideline fade then Dak pulling it down and hauling ass--I like our chances.

thf24
03-05-2014, 04:59 PM
with the emergence of Tubby and the Bear added to the feet of Dak-3 and 8 might be easier that it has ever been. Tubby with an underneath route or bear with a sideline fade then Dak pulling it down and hauling ass--I like our chances.

Plus the fact that Dak's passing should continue to improve. His improvement in that area just during last season was incredible. He was missing guys by five yards early on, but by the Egg Bowl he was nailing clutch throw after clutch throw. Just think how much he's going to continue that improvement with a full spring and summer getting first team reps and being taught by Brian Johnson.

dawgs
03-05-2014, 05:21 PM

but when playing lsu and bama, i want to being going 100 miles an hour to wear out their 5* defenses.