PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen came through today.

dickiedawg
05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Good to see some guys other than holder and Ross step up in game two. I expect both of those guys to be able to go tomorrow. Assuming Linny rebounds from last week I like our chances to sweep.

WeWillScrewItUp
05-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes sir. Happy as hell to see bracewell throw like he did today.

CadaverDawg
05-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Yep, I'm glad you brought this up.

Bracewell was huge for us in Game 2, and we needed him bc Graveman didn't have much sink today. Credit to Graveman for keeping us in it and only giving up minimal runs though.

Girodo just gained huge confidence by locking that 9th inning down for us...against a Righty.

I still do not understand why we're giving Gentry chances but not Shelly? I'm afraid we need to bench Gentry for the rest of the year unless it's a major blow out.

Glad to see that Fitts was warming up and ready to go....I look for him out of the pen first tomorrow if we have to go to the pen early. Need a big game from Lindy though.

FFF
05-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Girodo was the winning pitcher, too. He's only had one bad outing this year, and I believe he will be extremely valuable down the stretch. I used to loath seeing him, but when the matchup called for him in the 9th, I was more than happy to see him. He's been very solid this year.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Yep, I'm glad you brought this up.

Bracewell was huge for us in Game 2, and we needed him bc Graveman didn't have much sink today. Credit to Graveman for keeping us in it and only giving up minimal runs though.

Girodo just gained huge confidence by locking that 9th inning down for us...against a Righty.

I still do not understand why we're giving Gentry chances but not Shelly? I'm afraid we need to bench Gentry for the rest of the year unless it's a major blow out.

Glad to see that Fitts was warming up and ready to go....I look for him out of the pen first tomorrow if we have to go to the pen early. Need a big game from Lindy though.

It's because Alabama has a lot of right hand hitters, and they typically struggle with low 3/4 guys. Problem is, Gentry is still learning that arm slot. He will go off and play summer ball and it will do wonders for him next year. As he progresses, he is going to have to develop a way to get left hand hitters out and be more consistent in general. I remember Caleb Reed had an ERA of 7 or maybe even worse his first learning that arm slot. Down the line, we might do the same thing with Gentry- make him an over/under guy.

FFF
05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
It's because Alabama has a lot of right hand hitters, and they typically struggle with low 3/4 guys. Problem is, Gentry is still learning that arm slot. He will go off and play summer ball and it will do wonders for him next year. As he progresses, he is going to have to develop a way to get left hand hitters out and be more consistent in general. I remember Caleb Reed had an ERA of 7 or maybe even worse his first learning that arm slot. Down the line, we might do the same thing with Gentry- make him an over/under guy.

Gentry has the tools to develop into a great reliever/setup guy. He just needs the experience (which translates into trusting your "stuff"), and that's what he's missing right now.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Gentry has the tools to develop into a great reliever/setup guy. He just needs the experience (which translates into trusting your "stuff"), and that's what he's missing right now.

That first hit he gave up was bad luck too. He wasn't too good, but not bad either.

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Girodo was the winning pitcher, too. He's only had one bad outing this year, and I believe he will be extremely valuable down the stretch. I used to loath seeing him, but when the matchup called for him in the 9th, I was more than happy to see him. He's been very solid this year.

I've said for a year or so I thought Girodo could be a nice lefty/lefty matchup guy for us. His struggles have mainly been in extended outings. He showed huge stones striking out the righty to get us outta the 10th, though.

As to the OP, I concur. Very nice to see someone other than the "Big 4" get some mound work today. Also nice to see Fitts tossing in the pen on standby. Wish he'd get a shot at Pollo's Friday job. I'm still of the opinion Pollo is more valuable out of the pen in long relief 2 times a weekend than once on Friday.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 12:45 AM
I've said for a year or so I thought Girodo could be a nice lefty/lefty matchup guy for us. His struggles have mainly been in extended outings. He showed huge stones striking out the righty to get us outta the 10th, though.

As to the OP, I concur. Very nice to see someone other than the "Big 4" get some mound work today. Also nice to see Fitts tossing in the pen on standby. Wish he'd get a shot at Pollo's Friday job. I'm still of the opinion Pollo is more valuable out of the pen in long relief 2 times a weekend than once on Friday.

At the very least, I would like to see Fitts start against Oral Roberts. Will Cox has had plenty of starts, as has Evan Mitchell. I think Fitts has earned it.

FFF
05-05-2013, 10:21 AM
At the very least, I would like to see Fitts start against Oral Roberts. Will Cox has had plenty of starts, as has Evan Mitchell. I think Fitts has earned it.

When Fitts threw last year, he was an excellent fastball pitcher, but that's all he really could rely on. He's really worked up a nice off-speed pitch (slider, I think), and has been highly effective. The times he's come in this year, he's looked really good. I'm with you... I want to see him get some extended innings against Oral Roberts.

If we don't have to use Ross today, we can piggy back him on Fitts, as well, and use him just in case.

CadaverDawg
05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd be willing to bet my right arm that the only pitchers you will see today are Lindgren, Ross, and Kenny P....but I agree, Fitts would be a good one to bring in if Lindgren has an early exit. I just don't see Cohen bringing him into a tight game though. So we will likely only see Ross and Holder

Will James
05-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I'd be willing to bet my right arm that the only pitchers you will see today are Lindgren, Ross, and Kenny P....but I agree, Fitts would be a good one to bring in if Lindgren has an early exit. I just don't see Cohen bringing him into a tight game though. So we will likely only see Ross and Holder

I think we see Lindgren and Fitts only

7-1 W

CadaverDawg
05-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I think we see Lindgren and Fitts only

7-1 W

I hope you're right. I think we will have to be up by probably 4 runs or more for Cohen to bring Fitts in first....so hopefully we see Fitts and only Fitts.

Is Alabama throwing a righty or lefty today?

ETA: I think we win 6-4 today

Spider-Man
05-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I hope you're right. I think we will have to be up by probably 4 runs or more for Cohen to bring Fitts in first....so hopefully we see Fitts and only Fitts.

Is Alabama throwing a righty or lefty today?

ETA: I think we win 6-4 today
LHP

CadaverDawg
05-05-2013, 10:54 AM
So I'm guessing we see Demarcus in LF and no Trey Porter, probably.