PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Black is top 5 recruit in MS guys

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 03:56 PM
All is well!! We have two of the top 5 basketball players in MS playing for us next year in Maurice Dunlap and Oliver Black (Black actually plays in Florida but don't worry bout that). Oliver Black is such a stud he averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds his junior year. He also got a letter on the chess team. Check out some of his sick highlights. Notice the one that hits the side of the backboard. He and Craig Sword share that same shot technique.

http://youtu.be/4HPr7kwCqsY

vv83
03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Why would you even post this? You're just flat out being a dick now

TheRef
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
I tip my hat to you, 61, but that was a dick move. Creating a whole new thread for it? Come on, man.

TexasDawg
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
HAHAHAHA I laughed pretty damn hard

CadaverDawg
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
A dick move, yes...but a hilarious dick move. And no more of a dick move than some of the comments on the sunshine side of the discussion

engie
03-04-2014, 04:12 PM
A dick move, yes...but a hilarious dick move. And no more of a dick move than some of the comments on the sunshine side of the discussion

Can you point me to this "sunshine side of the discussion"?

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I tip my hat to you, 61, but that was a dick move. Creating a whole new thread for it? Come on, man.

Oh relax guys. If we can't have a little fun in our shitticane then how else can we survive The Walking Dead? As the blonde girl says in the last episode. "I'm getting a f*cking drink".

TheRef
03-04-2014, 04:13 PM

That's true. I have seen a lot of venom being thrown around at each other the past few weeks on both sides of the aisle. I've purposely kept myself out of the conversations because I knew I would be emotional in my responses and probably start throwing as well. Let's just say I'll be glad when the RR threads will be over with, both sides. But hey, that's what message boards are for. To voice your opinions in a public forum and have a discussion/argument about it. Does it go too far at times? Yes. But then again, what good argument doesn't get a little heated at times, right?

TheRef
03-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Oh relax guys. If we can't have a little fun in our shitticane then how else can we survive The Walking Dead? As the blonde girl says in the last episode. "I'm getting a f*cking drink".

/drinks bottle of Jack Daniels

smootness
03-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Creating completely new threads for the sole purpose of denigrating a kid who will playing for Mississippi State next year. Yeah, you're definitely on the right track, man.

And I'm definitely glad you pointed out the shot that hit the side of the backboard...from #24 for Forest Hill. That wasn't Oliver Black. But nice try! I'm glad this is what you're using your time on.

CadaverDawg
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Yea, search "Coach 34" and you'll find a few hundred.*

I'm literally taking this as a way of laughing away our misery this season, so if anybody thinks I'm real serious on this topic...I'm not.

DCdawg
03-04-2014, 04:26 PM
This thread started by the guy who claimed that Travis Outlaw isn't that good and wouldn't have been much of an addition had he come to State (all this after his decade long stint in the NBA) - his basketball analysis seems legit.**

mic
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Creating completely new threads for the sole purpose of denigrating a kid who will playing for Mississippi State next year. Yeah, you're definitely on the right track, man.

And I'm definitely glad you pointed out the shot that hit the side of the backboard...from #24 for Forest Hill. That wasn't Oliver Black. But nice try! I'm glad this is what you're using your time on.

Exactly...

tcdog70
03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Ref, I agree. Good Post. Oliver Might be a great Player. he looks good in a uniform. Just hard for me to imagine a SEC quality Player that is 6'8" and can't score but 7 points a game in HS.

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Glad you watched the video. Can you find some more highlight videos for us to watch since I messed up the backboard highlight? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding highlights from 7 points 7 boards Black our top 5 MS (plays in FL) signee.

MadDawg
03-04-2014, 04:29 PM

LMAO

Homedawg
03-04-2014, 04:31 PM
This thread started by the guy who claimed that Travis Outlaw isn't that good and wouldn't have been much of an addition had he come to State (all this after his decade long stint in the NBA) - his basketball analysis seems legit.**

For clarification, he didn't say he wasn't that good, he said he blows. Guru I say.***********

engie
03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Yea, search "Coach 34" and you'll find a few hundred.*

I'm literally taking this as a way of laughing away our misery this season, so if anybody thinks I'm real serious on this topic...I'm not.

I've yet to see him guarantee success. He simply says "let it play out" exactly like I, Smootness, and the rest of the "Ray lovers" have done -- while a seeming majority of our online fanbase goes full retard because we're actually rebuilding in what we ALL knew in advance was a rebuilding year.

That faction had better hope and pray that Ray crashes and burns at this point -- because Coach doesn't forget easily...

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I've yet to see him guarantee success. He simply says "let it play out" exactly like I, Smootness, and the rest of the "Ray lovers" have done -- while a seeming majority of our online fanbase goes full retard because we're actually rebuilding in what we ALL knew in advance was a rebuilding year.

That faction had better hope and pray that Ray crashes and burns at this point -- because Coach doesn't forget easily...

And if you and C34 are wrong what do we get? I'll settle for SS packing Ray's bags and those two leaving together hand in hand.

Homedawg
03-04-2014, 04:50 PM
And if you and C34 are wrong what do we get? I'll settle for SS packing Ray's bags and those two leaving together hand in hand.

So you would rather us lose? Is that correct?

mic
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM

That's the issue. I wonder if it came out that we had to win 18-19 games next year or RR would be gone just how many fans would REALLY be rooting for that to happen..
Im with the few Im not a "RR lover" but lets at least see what happens next year and maybe year 4. If he has to go after next year then so be it. Wont bother me. Get somebody here that can win because the program will be in much better shape going forward than it was when RR got here.. We got rid of the problem 2 years ago.....

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
So you would rather us lose? Is that correct?

Nope. I'd rather us be taking the same path we all thought we were going to take when we called for Stansbury's head. Right now we are on Stricklin's path headed for suck and hustle. Looks like we've already made it.

MadDawg
03-04-2014, 04:59 PM

It's not that you are guaranteeing success. It's the "we are so much better than we were last year, and you are a dipshit if you don't see it!!11!!" that gets most riled up.

Are you still hoping Mullen crashes and burns too?

CadaverDawg
03-04-2014, 05:11 PM

How's that different than those of us that are unhappy yet ok with one more year being labeled "Stans lovers!1!"? See how that works?

You can be frustrated, have an opinion, AND be ok with one more year. Doesn't make us wrong for being disappointed

bully99
03-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Amazing that smoot and others come on here and talk about denigrating kids who will play at State next year are the same DAMN people who smear and spew hate against Devon Bell, Sam Frost, Matthew Britton and many others who are already on our teams. Some of you sanctimonious asses need to look in the mirror.

mic
03-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Amazing that smoot and others come on here and talk about denigrating kids who will play at State next year are the same DAMN people who smear and spew hate against Devon Bell, Sam Frost, Matthew Britton and many others who are already on our teams. Some of you sanctimonious asses need to look in the mirror.

It is different.. But I agree its never a good thing to rip a kid in college but everyone does that when they don't preform up to certain standards after a point. I used to hammer on lazy Sid and others But to rip a kid before he is given a chance to proof what he may or may not do is totally different..

smootness
03-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Please show me a single post where I've called out any of those kids. If you're going to name me, then I would hope you can back that up.

I hate any time anybody claims a player for State 'sucks' or posts for the sole purpose of insulting them. Now obviously this is a message board, so some discussion of who should start, who is better off coming off the bench, etc. will take place. But insulting any college kid who plays for State is completely out of bounds to me. Don't lump me into that group.

This thread is a complete embarrassment and should be deleted.

smootness
03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Glad you watched the video. Can you find some more highlight videos for us to watch since I messed up the backboard highlight? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding highlights from 7 points 7 boards Black our top 5 MS (plays in FL) signee.

No, I can't find you any highlight videos. I don't know if any exist. I have no idea how good Oliver Black will be.

But posting a highlight video for the sole purpose of making fun of a kid committed to come play for State, especially when it's proven you were actually even wrong about the kid you were making fun of, is utterly embarrassing.

You didn't even care if you were correct; that's how eager you are to insult a kid who will be here in less than a year. Bravo to you.

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 05:41 PM
No, I can't find you any highlight videos. I don't know if any exist. I have no idea how good Oliver Black will be.

But posting a highlight video for the sole purpose of making fun of a kid committed to come play for State, especially when it's proven you were actually even wrong about the kid you were making fun of, is utterly embarrassing.

You didn't even care if you were correct; that's how eager you are to insult a kid who will be here in less than a year. Bravo to you.

Take what you want from the video. I feel it's necessary for MSU fans to get a glimpse of Black and the other players that Ray is signing. I posted Houston's video too and had very positive things to say about him.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
03-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Well, 247 does show he had offers from not only us, but Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Tulane and Wichita State...

Scout has this write-up for signing day:

"The 6-foot-9, 215-pound Oliver Black averaged 10+ points, 9 rebounds and 5 block shots as a junior. He really started coming into his own late in the season, then wound up being named the MVP of the Mississippi North-South All-Star Basketball Game (played in July), after scoring 19 points and hauling down 8 rebounds. He will give Mississippi State immediate depth at the big forward position as a freshman."

That is a Gene writeup so maybe he just made all that up.

I'm just not sure I get the joke. Are you saying that its funny that the guy is rated a top 5 MS prospect since he's playing in Florida? Is it a bad thing to sign a top 5 MS prospect? He did go to Wingfield as a junior it appears, and knowing the terrible quality of high school basketball coaching in MS, his being at IMG Academny in Florida cannot be anything but a positive improvement for his development.

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, 247 does show he had offers from not only us, but Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Tulane and Wichita State...

Scout has this write-up for signing day:

"The 6-foot-9, 215-pound Oliver Black averaged 10+ points, 9 rebounds and 5 block shots as a junior. He really started coming into his own late in the season, then wound up being named the MVP of the Mississippi North-South All-Star Basketball Game (played in July), after scoring 19 points and hauling down 8 rebounds. He will give Mississippi State immediate depth at the big forward position as a freshman."

That is a Gene writeup so maybe he just made all that up.

I'm just not sure I get the joke. Are you saying that its funny that the guy is rated a top 5 MS prospect since he's playing in Florida? Is it a bad thing to sign a top 5 MS prospect? He did go to Wingfield as a junior it appears, and knowing the terrible quality of high school basketball coaching in MS, his being at IMG Academny in Florida cannot be anything but a positive improvement for his development.

The more information the better. Thanks for posting it. I actually feel better about this scholarship since you did.

engie
03-04-2014, 06:02 PM

What are we going to be "wrong" about? We aren't making any ****ing predictions -- unlike you toolsheds. At least, I'm not.

Unlike many here, I have the ability to learn from the mistakes I have made in the past -- even though my mistake included a sample size of more relevant football games than yours includes relevant basketball games. "Let it play out" = don't get it thrown in your face everytime you disagree about something for the next 5 years.

engie
03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
That's the issue. I wonder if it came out that we had to win 18-19 games next year or RR would be gone just how many fans would REALLY be rooting for that to happen..
Im with the few Im not a "RR lover" but lets at least see what happens next year and maybe year 4. If he has to go after next year then so be it. Wont bother me. Get somebody here that can win because the program will be in much better shape going forward than it was when RR got here.. We got rid of the problem 2 years ago.....

EXACTLY my viewpoint.

I don't KNOW if he's going to get it going or not -- hence why it's best to hold judgement until he's had a fair deck to play from.

maroonmania
03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
The sad part is that's probably more points and rebounds (for sure points) than Ndoye averaged his senior year.

edited to add that I checked Ndoye's HS stats and found this blurb from Rivals:
"Findley, a school mainly comprised of international players, is 7-0 and Fallou averaging 7 points and 7 rebounds in an 11-player rotation."

So I guess they average the same thing.

engie
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
It's not that you are guaranteeing success. It's the "we are so much better than we were last year, and you are a dipshit if you don't see it!!11!!" that gets most riled up.
We were -- prior to the Applewhite transfer and teams "figuring us out". We had a 2nd 5 for much of the year last year as well. Hardly Ray's fault he smoked his way out of school.

Are you still hoping Mullen crashes and burns too?
I was never, EVER hoping he crashed and burned. I just thought that's what was about to happen. Based on a 45 game sample size. Yes -- the Ole Miss game was our best win since Florida 2010. Let that sink in. But he's righted the ship since that Egg Bowl -- and I'm excited about next year. Our 2014 class left alot to be desired -- but it looks like the 2015 class can be the one that breaks the ice for us to move up another tier in the pecking order...

Are you still hoping Cohen crashes and burns too? See how that works?

engie
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
How's that different than those of us that are unhappy yet ok with one more year being labeled "Stans lovers!1!"? See how that works?

You can be frustrated, have an opinion, AND be ok with one more year. Doesn't make us wrong for being disappointed

EVERYONE is disappointed and frustrated. How is piling on good for MSU?

If you were Malik Newman and you WANTED to play for Rick Ray -- what would 5 minutes of basketball reading here on this board do to your thought process? Exactly. NO. CHANCE.

smootness
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Take what you want from the video. I feel it's necessary for MSU fans to get a glimpse of Black and the other players that Ray is signing. I posted Houston's video too and had very positive things to say about him.

You posted a video of a recruit for the sole purpose of trying to bash Ray by insulting Black...and managed to be 100% wrong while doing it.

Don't try to play this off like you're just giving us videos of recruits.

maroonmania
03-04-2014, 06:16 PM

If you were Malik Newman and you WANTED to play for Rick Ray -- what would 5 minutes of basketball reading here on this board do to your thought process? Exactly. NO. CHANCE.

You know actually, when we were 3-3 in the SEC, I really had some hope that Ray could get Newman but an 11 game losing streak in a bad conference for the SECOND year I'm sure has done much more to eliminate our chances than any message board post. The best approach right now is to just not have threads on basketball because there is very little positive to say about it.

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
You posted a video of a recruit for the sole purpose of trying to bash Ray by insulting Black...and managed to be 100% wrong while doing it.

Don't try to play this off like you're just giving us videos of recruits.

I posted the video so there'd be discussion on Black and our other signees. It was sparked by the comment that Black and Dunlap are two of the five best MS players this year. Says who? Show us if that's actually true. We need more information on the basketball players in MS and surrounding state's. It's a huge reason I think MSU sucks at recruiting for basketball. Nobody knows shit about anybody and nobody can therefore hold our coaches feet to the fire. If this was football and even baseball we'd have 50+ posters knowing everything and anything about the talent getting ready to hit the college world. I made jest of the video because it hypes up a player that they say in the video averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds as a junior and I thought it funny that they pointed out he's a member of the chess team. Quit being so sensitive over a video.

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 06:34 PM

Burying our heads and letting the basketball program fall further and further into the suck abyss will only ensure we don't get the next twenty Malik Newman's. It's time to get this program back where it's supposed to be. Being quiet about it and leaving it to Ray & Strick doesn't seem to be an option for me anymore.

Coach34
03-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I posted the video so there'd be discussion on Black and our other signees. It was sparked by the comment that Black and Dunlap are two of the five best MS players this year. Says who? Show us if that's actually true.

Says 247

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MS

Dunlap 3
Black is 4

mic
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I posted the video so there'd be discussion on Black and our other signees. It was sparked by the comment that Black and Dunlap are two of the five best MS players this year. Says who? Show us if that's actually true. We need more information on the basketball players in MS and surrounding state's. It's a huge reason I think MSU sucks at recruiting for basketball. Nobody knows shit about anybody and nobody can therefore hold our coaches feet to the fire. If this was football and even baseball we'd have 50+ posters knowing everything and anything about the talent getting ready to hit the college world. I made jest of the video because it hypes up a player that they say in the video averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds as a junior and I thought it funny that they pointed out he's a member of the chess team. Quit being so sensitive over a video.

If you have time to find videos that you think are "funny" to go along with the comments you lobed in there, you have time to do a little research on Black and find out "says who?"

-Mr Wonderlic

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Says 247

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MS

Dunlap 3
Black is 4

Wow nice find C34! I take it back Mic. I'm glad to see that but not so glad to see LTech pluck #2 from our State without a fight. Bet they get a nice laugh down there in Ruston over it.

C222
03-04-2014, 07:32 PM
The sad part is that's probably more points and rebounds (for sure points) than Ndoye averaged his senior year.

edited to add that I checked Ndoye's HS stats and found this blurb from Rivals:
"Findley, a school mainly comprised of international players, is 7-0 and Fallou averaging 7 points and 7 rebounds in an 11-player rotation."

So I guess they average the same thing.

He only played for the best HS team in the country.

C222
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
It's also so great that our own fans are making fun of recruits even before they make it to campus. How sad and pathetic.

Coach34
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
It's also so great that our own fans are making fun of recruits even before they make it to campus. How sad and pathetic.

they've been doing it in football- and Mullen keeps making them eat shit over it. Hopefully Ray does too

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 07:51 PM

Is it more sad and pathetic than the fact it took me posting that video for this to be the most discussion we've ever had about a player that's been signed with MSU for a long time now? I think that's sad and pathetic.

Cabo32
03-04-2014, 08:09 PM
We missed out on a good one this year. Ed Simpson, plays for st Martin down on the coast..kid is a baller

Dawg61
03-04-2014, 08:13 PM
We missed out on a good one this year. Ed Simpson, plays for st Martin down on the coast..kid is a baller

This is what we need more of!! Lots and lots more of!! Thank you sir maybe next time we can get a heads up earlier. What's Ed Simpson's story? He signed somewhere already?

Schultzy
03-04-2014, 08:30 PM
This is what we need more of!! Lots and lots more of!! Thank you sir maybe next time we can get a heads up earlier. What's Ed Simpson's story? He signed somewhere already?

Now you've just become ridiculous.

HailState39110
03-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Nope. I'd rather us be taking the same path we all thought we were going to take when we called for Stansbury's head. Right now we are on Stricklin's path headed for suck and hustle. Looks like we've already made it.

Dude I'm not happy either right now about our program but please leave recruits out of this. Bash Ray and Stricklin all you want . They make a lot more money than we do but let's keep kids who want to play for OUR university away from the discussion

CadaverDawg
03-04-2014, 08:44 PM

I typically agree with this stance, but not this time. Why? Because Malik Newman nor any other player worth a shit is reading the message board of a team that has put on the shit show we have this year.

And if it was such an awful thing, then why would Coach not delete the thread? Instead, he instigates shit like this by pumping RAYS of sunshine (see what I did there?) up our rears. I love watching Coach stir everybody up, bc this has been a fun couple of threads, so people need to relax and enjoy the conversation for what it is.

It's funny and I love this discussion, but it works both ways. Don't instigate it if you don't want to see threads about it.

By the way, I am simply jumping in the discussion because our bball program is a shit sandwich and if I can't laugh about it, crying is the only other option. I think you and several others are taking this debate WAY more serious than I am.

I'm cool with 1 more year...I just don't see how you guys think things will change so drastically. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm willing to wait. But forgive me if I can't find tons of positives and therefore try to find some humor about the subject. (For the record, I'm not in favor of bashing the player...but that doesn't mean it didn't draw a chuckle when 61 did.).

Carry on