PDA

View Full Version : 6 of the 7 teams in the West

GrassOfDWS
03-03-2014, 09:00 PM
All have a legitimate shot at winning the division next year. I wrote a series of posts on M&WN on how I thought all 7 teams would fare in 2014, and there are a ton of games that were just hard to pick. Outside of Arkansas, I think you can make a legitimate case for the other 6 teams.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
All have a legitimate shot at winning the division next year. I wrote a series of posts on M&WN on how I thought all 7 teams would fare in 2014, and there are a ton of games that were just hard to pick. Outside of Arkansas, I think you can make a legitimate case for the other 6 teams.

I dont think we have a legit case. We play 3 of the 4 best teams (not counting us) of the West on the road

Look at Auburn's big games in 2013- Bama at home, Georgia at home, Ole Miss at home, State at home...all close 4th quarter wins...lost to LSU on road and wore down a terrible defense at A&M

GrassOfDWS
03-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I dont think we have a legit case. We play 3 of the 4 best teams (not counting us) of the West on the road

Look at Auburn's big games in 2013- Bama at home, Georgia at home, Ole Miss at home, State at home...all close 4th quarter wins...lost to LSU on road and wore down a terrible defense at A&M

Of those three road games, there is only one that I think will be insurmountable, and that's the Alabama game. For once, I like playing LSU early. They will still be trying to work in some key pieces, and we should be a well oiled machine with the amount of production we are returning.

That being said, I see your point. 7-5 for us is just as reasonable as 10-2. I came real close to just flipping a coin when I was picking some of these games.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 10:42 PM
If we go 7-5 I'll be pissed...

starkvegasdawg
03-04-2014, 07:04 AM
On paper it does look like anybody's race, but in the end I bet it comes down to bama and LSU.

Schultzy
03-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Lsu needed a long td late in the fourth qtr to beat Arkansas in Baton Rouge last year. They have holes.

BogeyGolfer
03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Least you forget, we needed a late turnover inside the five and OT to beat that same Arkansas team. Also an average LSU team lit us up for 59 points on us AT HOME. This is were many posters lose it. Other teams develop young players in the off season just like we do. Other teams get better too! It will be a two team race next year between LSU and Bama. The third spot is a coin flip between us, AU and Ole Miss... We are all about even.

msstate7
03-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Least you forget, we needed a late turnover inside the five and OT to beat that same Arkansas team. Also an average LSU team lit us up for 59 points on us AT HOME. This is were many posters lose it. Other teams develop young players in the off season just like we do. Other teams get better too! It will be a two team race next year between LSU and Bama. The third spot is a coin flip between us, AU and Ole Miss... We are all about even.

When we played lsu, it was well before our defense found itself. This is why I love playing lsu early next season. I think lsu will be a much better team late in the year than early.

Oh and no way lsu would've hung 59 on us late last year.

thf24
03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
When we played lsu, it was well before our defense found itself. This is why I love playing lsu early next season. I think lsu will be a much better team late in the year than early.

Also they had two of the top five receiver draft prospects starting for them. Combined with a great passing QB, that's absolutely ridiculous. That just doesn't happen very often, even for top 10 programs. It seems like everyone but Bama (still gave up 241 through the air) had problems covering them when Mett was on his game last year. We didn't even do that bad of a job for most of the game, they just kept making insane throws and catches.

Coach34
03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
getting LSU early definitely helps.

We've been so close on getting a big win at home, so for me, we have to step up and beat Auburn and/or A&M. I can live with losing in T-Town and Baton Rouge...and the Egg Bowl being in Grenada Without the Lake will be tough....but we just cant lose both of our big home games in 2014.

Jack Lambert
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM

If our defense was playing early like they were in the end, Auburn would not have been playing for the BCS championship.

blacklistedbully
03-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Arky had a bye before us, so 2 weeks to prepare, and in a place we have traditionally struggled in, yet still could not beat us. The LSU game was one of those strange ones where it was much, much closer than it looked until late in the game, when the wheels just seemed to come off the wagon for some reason. It just snow-balled on us. Also Mett, and his WR's had the best game against us, Mett nailing just about every pass, even into tight coverage. And when he was off a bit, his WR's were unreal in the way they went for the ball and made catches. They should be a much different team this year, not as good, while we should be improved.

I simply choose to believe we will not suffer the sudden meltdown we did last year.

Schultzy
03-04-2014, 04:43 PM
DoubleBogey, I understand all that. Yours is the conventional way of thinking and I've subscribed to that train of thought for many years as well.

But I see something different with this bunch of ours with that defense and a dynamic QB and good skill players around him and experienced offensive linemen. That coupled with with somewhat lesser lsu and even bama (I know they're still good) teams makes me think we have a good chance at winning the West.

Not to mention our momentum shift in-state.

We could be dominant defensively. I'm all in with this edition of our football team so good luck trying to talk me down.

sandwolf
03-04-2014, 05:12 PM
We could be dominant defensively.

If Nick James gets his head right and makes the impact that everyone feels like he can make, then we could be flat out elite on defense. Exciting to think about.