PDA

View Full Version : RHP Paul Young

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Is having Tommy John surgery tomorrow. So there's that. He would have put us over the top. Now he might pitch in 2015. If he stays in school, we will have one season out of him. What could have been.

maroonmania
03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Definitely a shame, pitchers are fragile creatures for sure. That's why you really can't blame any of them for grabbing money out of HS or JUCO if they get the chance. You risk an arm injury on every pitch. Just ask JM Shelley.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I would think he'll stay another year. Scouts are going to want him to pitch vs SEC hitters

Squidawg11
03-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Will he even be eligible for the draft after this year? It was my understanding that he transferred after his freshman year.

bully99
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I called this 6 months ago. The ol give it a rest seldom works. Should have had it long ago and would be well on his way to recovery.

Shelley had his tj last week.What doctor does the tj surgery on State players.

smootness
03-03-2014, 07:29 PM
I called this 6 months ago. The ol give it a rest seldom works. Should have had it long ago and would be well on his way to recovery.

Andrews is performing Young's. Wouldn't be surprised if he did Shelly's, too.

messageboardsuperhero
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
We can thank his JUCO coach for this one. For someone to let a guy throw multiple 150 pitch complete games in a row without letting them learn how to keep their arm healthy or putting them on a training program is borderline abuse, IMO.

That coach was riding Young like a rented mule.

messageboardsuperhero
03-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Yep. I really can't think of an instance for us where trying that has turned out well for us.

With the way TJ surgery is these days, it's usually better for the player's long-term health to go ahead and have the procedure.

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2014, 09:23 PM
You are eligible to be drafted after 3 years of college (major) or age 21 whichever comes first.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm glad he's getting it done now rather than in March because it takes about 12 months to recover from Tommy John. We should be able to get a medical RS for this year and then we might have to redshirt him again next year while he recovers.

If we're patient, we could reap the rewards though.

bully99
03-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Todd,we ARE in March . Most pitchers come back from TJ ,but certainly not all.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Well, he was initially supposed to wait until late March. Tommy John surgery has a very good success rate- I think it's 85%. And Dr. Andrew's is THE guy to go to have it done.

Goat Holder
03-04-2014, 12:03 AM
When 1 in 7 MLB pitchers are having to get this procedure done, it's about time to take a look at what's going on. Something is off with the mechanics we teach today to put that much stress on the elbow and shoulder. Guarantee you Chris Stratton won't ever have to have this surgery, look how smooth his delivery is.

ButcherShop
03-04-2014, 12:13 AM
When 1 in 7 MLB pitchers are having to get this procedure done, it's about time to take a look at what's going on. Something is off with the mechanics we teach today to put that much stress on the elbow and shoulder. Guarantee you Chris Stratton won't ever have to have this surgery, look how smooth his delivery is.

This is honestly just kind of stupid. Every time that a pitcher throws a ball 90+ mph it puts 2x the amount of strain on the UCL necessary to tear it. Considering Stratton consistently throws fastballs 93-94 mph I think that guarantee you just made is pretty bold. What mechanical change do you propose making? Throw underhanded? With more pitchers throwing harder Tommy John is just gonna become part of the game. The arm and especially elbow wasn't made for that much stress to be put on it over and over again. The only thing that would prevent it from happening is converting to men's fast pitch.

RAYn_Man
03-04-2014, 12:35 AM

Irondawg
03-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Random sports science question. Why do you almost never hear about tennis players (serves) or QB's tearing their UCL and needing TJ surgery?

mstatefan91
03-04-2014, 02:20 AM

Studies show that volume of throwing is a much more important factor in UCL failure compared to how hard someone throws or their mechanics.

In short, don't ask your star pitcher to throw 100+ pitches regularly.

DanDority
03-04-2014, 09:52 AM
This is honestly just kind of stupid. Every time that a pitcher throws a ball 90+ mph it puts 2x the amount of strain on the UCL necessary to tear it. Considering Stratton consistently throws fastballs 93-94 mph I think that guarantee you just made is pretty bold. What mechanical change do you propose making? Throw underhanded? With more pitchers throwing harder Tommy John is just gonna become part of the game. The arm and especially elbow wasn't made for that much stress to be put on it over and over again. The only thing that would prevent it from happening is converting to men's fast pitch.

Throwing underhanded is the natural motion on the arm.

smootness
03-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Random sports science question. Why do you almost never hear about tennis players (serves) or QB's tearing their UCL and needing TJ surgery?

I don't know, but I would guess it probably has to do with the amount of repetitions with quarterbacks. On game day, the most they'll ever throw is about 50 passes. They may throw more during the week, but not nearly as much at any one time. Plus, it's just easier on the arm to throw a football. I don't know why exactly scientifically, other than the fact that QBs rarely throw as violently as pitchers do, but if you go out and throw a football around and then try to throw some fastballs, your arm will feel it much more quickly throwing the baseball.

In tennis, I would guess that motion is much more natural for the arm.

Bullmutt
03-04-2014, 11:15 AM
"The arm and especially elbow wasn't made for that much stress to be put on it over and over again."

Yep- just like the human knee is not designed to play football.

War Machine Dawg
03-04-2014, 01:21 PM

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg.html)

Really, chief? It has very little to do with a pitcher's mechanics, as others have pointed out. The simple act of pitching puts more stress on the elbow.

I'd argue the major reason for the increase in the number of TJ surgeries is twofold. First and foremost, I think the early specialization of kids in a sport is wearing out their arms faster. Kids are playing baseball and pitching year-round now from the time they're like 10. It's ridiculous. Until the last 10 years or so, kids played the Big 3 sports as the season dictated. They took a break from stressing their arms and played other sports, allowing the body to heal over the course of several months. But now they're being told you have to "focus" on one sport to be elite at it and parents trying to live vicariously through their kids' athletic achievements are pushing them to play the sport year-round. Throw in a coach who doesn't know what he's doing or rides a kid too hard, and you get what we're seeing with the increase in TJ surgeries.

I'd say the second reason for the increase in TJ surgeries is better medical awareness and diagnosis. In the old days if a pitcher suddenly lost velocity, he'd just "lost it" as far as baseball and medicine were concerned. You couldn't get an MRI and see that he'd torn up his elbow. And even when you could get an MRI, the procedure itself was highly experimental and a monumental risk. Now it's been done so much that the vast majority of guys are coming back better than they were before the TJ surgery. Look at ACL tears as an example. In 1992, Sleepy tearing an ACL was a career ender. Now we see guys tearing ACLs and coming back in 8 months better than before because of how routine the procedure is. Same thing is happening with TJ surgery.

Todd4State
03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg.html)

Really, chief? It has very little to do with a pitcher's mechanics, as others have pointed out. The simple act of pitching puts more stress on the elbow.

I'd argue the major reason for the increase in the number of TJ surgeries is twofold. First and foremost, I think the early specialization of kids in a sport is wearing out their arms faster. Kids are playing baseball and pitching year-round now from the time they're like 10. It's ridiculous. Until the last 10 years or so, kids played the Big 3 sports as the season dictated. They took a break from stressing their arms and played other sports, allowing the body to heal over the course of several months. But now they're being told you have to "focus" on one sport to be elite at it and parents trying to live vicariously through their kids' athletic achievements are pushing them to play the sport year-round. Throw in a coach who doesn't know what he's doing or rides a kid too hard, and you get what we're seeing with the increase in TJ surgeries.

I'd say the second reason for the increase in TJ surgeries is better medical awareness and diagnosis. In the old days if a pitcher suddenly lost velocity, he'd just "lost it" as far as baseball and medicine were concerned. You couldn't get an MRI and see that he'd torn up his elbow. And even when you could get an MRI, the procedure itself was highly experimental and a monumental risk. Now it's been done so much that the vast majority of guys are coming back better than they were before the TJ surgery. Look at ACL tears as an example. In 1992, Sleepy tearing an ACL was a career ender. Now we see guys tearing ACLs and coming back in 8 months better than before because of how routine the procedure is. Same thing is happening with TJ surgery.

Well said.

Homedawg
03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Can't get two red shirts like that. He gets a redshirt this year bc he didn't play. That's it.

Todd4State
03-04-2014, 03:00 PM
You expect a kid to sit out 2 WHOLE years?? He'll be like 25 the next time he plays in a game. We'll be lucky if he ever pitches here

I'm not saying he will have to sit out for two years, but it's possible. The rehab phase lasts between 12-14 months. If he had the surgery done today, then do the math. Especially when you consider how we schedule most of our OOC games early. That's why I said the earlier that he has it done, the better.

More than likely he will sit out this year of course and then be back next year- but I don't expect him to be sharp. See Adam Wainwright in 2012 or Brandon Woodruff right now. But then after that, he should be good. I think he's only 19 or 20 right now, so we're talking 21-22 by the time he is back.

Todd4State
03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Can't get two red shirts like that. He gets a redshirt this year bc he didn't play. That's it.

Ole Miss had a pitcher a couple of years ago that was there for six seasons. He had an injury and then he had also redshirted. As stupid as the NCAA is, I can't see them not giving Young a medical redshirt.

Homedawg
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Ole Miss had a pitcher a couple of years ago that was there for six seasons. He had an injury and then he had also redshirted. As stupid as the NCAA is, I can't see them not giving Young a medical redshirt.

He can get a sixth year. However you don't apply for that until after his 5th year is over. Not likely he's here and if he is we probably will want his scholarship money to spend elsewhere because that means he wasn't a pro prospect at that point. Also, that means he must be physically unable to pitch the entire year next year due to injury. That's a maybe at this point. Either way, the odds of young being here for a 6th year are less than likely.

Goat Holder
03-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Ha, you wish.

Obviously kids are pitching too much. I mean, DUH? All that means is that their arms wear out before the MLB guys, because they are bigger and stronger. It's a fact that most of the guys who have TJ surgery have deliveries that snap their arm more than normal.

Form is everything. I wouldn't expect people like you and Todd4State, who have never played the game on any meaningful level, to know this.