PDA

View Full Version : State commit gets Florida offer

bully99
03-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Darrien McNair, linebacker from Florida,who committed to State was offered by Florida, and says he's still committed to State, but the Florida offer is a "game changer". Okay.
Doesn't make much sense to hype recruiting classes a year from signing because of crap like this.

engie
03-03-2014, 02:34 PM
This happened a couple of weeks ago...

Obviously, McNair is a low 3* as currently rated** Florida is in the business of offering a bunch of those early**

Going to be hard to hold him through the camp circuit. Which we already knew when he committed...

GreenheadDawg
03-03-2014, 02:51 PM
This happened a couple of weeks ago...

Obviously, McNair is a low 3* as currently rated** Florida is in the business of offering a bunch of those early**

Going to be hard to hold him through the camp circuit. Which we already knew when he committed...

This right here is pretty sad but so true. Mullen does a hell of a job of evaluating talent early but we get these early commits and have to pray they don't camp and none of the big boys offer.

maroonmania
03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
And another reason why we have to maintain our primary base of recruiting being within the state of MS. Its nice to try and snag guys from other States but we are always going to vulnerable there to the home state school coming in. Of course we made a pretty good living in this past recruiting class within the state of GA with good players that we snagged that GA didn't come after.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm sure bully99 is chomping at the bit to freak out and go off on McNair when if/when McNair de-commits like he did when Rawlings de-committed.

At least we don't have anyone over comparing a kid choosing a college to someone choosing their wife and their girlfriend cheating on them like that guy on 247 though.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
And another reason why we have to maintain our primary base of recruiting being within the state of MS. Its nice to try and snag guys from other States but we are always going to vulnerable there to the home state school coming in. Of course we made a pretty good living in this past recruiting class within the state of GA with good players that we snagged that GA didn't come after.

This year we could have a class of all Mississippians and it would be as good as just about anyone else in the country. Probably better when you consider the value of underrated players like Armani Linton over a four-five year period.

I've always felt like we should focus on Mississippi and getting the best players that we could out of the state and then filling in the blanks with out of state guys. I think Rosebowl had the opinion that we should go after more highly rated talent outside of Mississippi to get our recruiting rankings up, but IMO if we did that we would end up like Ole Miss. I'd rather finish 30th in recruiting and top 15 in the actual polls than the other way around.

Westdawg
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
This year we could have a class of all Mississippians and it would be as good as just about anyone else in the country. Probably better when you consider the value of underrated players like Armani Linton over a four-five year period.

I've always felt like we should focus on Mississippi and getting the best players that we could out of the state and then filling in the blanks with out of state guys. I think Rosebowl had the opinion that we should go after more highly rated talent outside of Mississippi to get our recruiting rankings up, but IMO if we did that we would end up like Ole Miss. I'd rather finish 30th in recruiting and top 15 in the actual polls than the other way around.

agreed.
The state of MS has a bumper crop of legit elite and high level talent this year. There is always a decent amount, but this coming class could literally blow the lid off of anything we have ever seen in terms of talent across the board and quality depth beyond the top 2-3 at a position.

smootness
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
I really, really want McNair. That said, if he chooses Florida, I'll take 2/3 from Peters, Leo Lewis, and Caban and be plenty happy.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I really, really want McNair. That said, if he chooses Florida, I'll take 2/3 from Peters, Leo Lewis, and Caban and be plenty happy.

Absolutely. McNair is a legit talent.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 04:35 PM
This.....all day. Then snag a few from surrounding states. Throw Georgia in for good measure, and maybe a few from Florida if we have a tie there.

Our order of crootin territory, in importance:

1 - State of Mississippi
2 - LA players that LSU overlooks
3 - AL players that Alabama and Auburn overlook
4 - Wherever we have an inside track (west TN, Atlanta, Dallas, south FL)

Basically the theme is to go where we have the best shot because we're local and less competition. As you go down my list, we are less local and the competition heats up. The whole country recruits Georgia, California, Texas and Florida - remember that.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I think Rosebowl had the opinion that we should go after more highly rated talent outside of Mississippi to get our recruiting rankings up
Well of course, it helps his business.

If he really said that though, he's a Grade A idiot. What he should be doing is lobbying to get our commitments rated higher. That helps MSU AND Gene's Page. But they are too stupid to go for a Win/Win scenario.

Jack Lambert
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
What could work in our favor is Florida sucking again in football and they fire their coach. The bad record and the coaching turn over might play into our favor

mic
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Louisiana , Alabama, Fla., and Ga. have plenty of really good talent that the big boys in that state don't necessary pass on but just don't have room for. That's what we need to continue to get and go after. Guys with chips on their shoulders wanting to prove that their home state SEC school should have recruited them harder. Says a lot about CDM and his staff when out of state highly recruited kids WANT to come to MSU and play and not because its "best for their family **"

engie
03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Exactly. I love those guys from other states that the home team "doesn't have room for". We got a glimpse of the chip that leaves on their shoulders with Beniquez Brown in the Bama game...

thunderclap
03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
How bout we just kick ass and hold onto him?

hailmari
03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
How bout we just kick ass and hold onto him?

I'm game for this.

MaroonState
03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Darrien McNair, linebacker from Florida,who committed to State was offered by Florida, and says he's still committed to State, but the Florida offer is a "game changer". Okay.
Doesn't make much sense to hype recruiting classes a year from signing because of crap like this.

Germans?

MabenMaroon
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Been hearing about our interest in McNair from several of the sites/sources for over six months and we were the first to offer before he got any star ratings. So that may go a long ways in getting him signed and on campus. Plus Coach Collins is well liked with FL High Schools from what I have been told by some of my FL buddies. We will just have to wait and see, but it is a fairly high % of verbal commits that stick with their original commit. I like the film I have seen on him and he has got the measurables we seem to like in our LB's, hope he sticks with us. Could be a real good one.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Exactly. I love those guys from other states that the home team "doesn't have room for". We got a glimpse of the chip that leaves on their shoulders with Beniquez Brown in the Bama game...

Or Dak Prescott and Josh Robinson.

engie
03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Or Dak Prescott and Josh Robinson.

They've neither really been handed the reigns against the Tigahs yet though...