PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting some recruiting meltdowns

BeastMan
03-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Robert Elliot, Pat Patt, Carlos Thompson, CJ Johnson, Nick Brassell, Quay Evans, and I'm sure I could go on...

http://3rdand57.com/revisiting-some-mississippi-recruiting-meltdowns/

Plain and simple, it seems like the guys who folks in MS panic about the most, have little to no impact on the program. It's usually the flippers or the guys who play up their recruitments. There might be something to that. The guys that handle their recruitments better are more mature and are more likely to pan out

FISHDAWG
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
good read .... but C Jones never had a cheerleader kick his butt, Pruitt however .......

SignalToNoise
03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I knew Robert Elliot never set the world on fire, but seeing those stats in writing was pretty sad.

He had 520 career yards and 3 career TDs.

Bothrops
03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
I knew Robert Elliot never set the world on fire, but seeing those stats in writing was pretty sad.

He stuck around though. He's unlike the others listed.

TrueMaroon
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Excellent excellent post. Its amazing how badly those have done that are into the flipping mentality.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Good article, but you must put guys like Charles Mitchell, Chad Bumphis, Vince sanders, Jermaine Whitehead and Chris Jones in the same category. Their recruitments were hotly contested, but they DID pan out. Carlos Thompson would be in that category too.

Tobias Singleton is another one you could add to the list that didn't pan out. I think for this list, the main variable is the 'flipping' back and forth, that shows you the character of the kids. But even that doesn't apply to Robert Elliot. Maybe it's the showboating? Hard to really nail this down and be absolute.

SignalToNoise
03-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Tobias Singleton is another one you could add to the list that didn't pan out. I think for this list, the main variable is the 'flipping' back and forth, that shows you the character of the kids. But even that doesn't apply to Robert Elliot. Maybe it's the showboating? Hard to really nail this down and be absolute.

Ahh, Mr. Hatfake 'Bias most certainly belongs on that list. He ended up at JSU, correct? Not sure what his career has been like there, but he was a non factor for the bears. That one really is laughable because so many of us were pissed at the hat fake.

Tbonewannabe
03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
He stuck around though. He's unlike the others listed.

He also showed something before blowing out both knees. Even after he still seemed to be a team first guy playing on special teams.

TrueMaroon
03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Good article, but you must put guys like Charles Mitchell, Chad Bumphis, Vince sanders, Jermaine Whitehead and Chris Jones in the same category. Their recruitments were hotly contested, but they DID pan out. Carlos Thompson would be in that category too.

Charles Mitchell, Chad Bumphis, Vince Sanders, and Chris Jones did not flip their commitments though.

And Carlos Thompson definitely hasn't panned out. Like at all.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I didn't say they did.

DLGDawg
03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I agree for sure on the Brassell flip. Rebels should still ashamed of the way they handled that kid.

Robert Elliot, Pat Patt, Carlos Thompson, CJ Johnson, Nick Brassell, Quay Evans, and I'm sure I could go on...

http://3rdand57.com/revisiting-some-mississippi-recruiting-meltdowns/

Plain and simple, it seems like the guys who folks in MS panic about the most, have little to no impact on the program. It's usually the flippers or the guys who play up their recruitments. There might be something to that. The guys that handle their recruitments better are more mature and are more likely to pan out

M.Fillmore
03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I agree for sure on the Brassell flip. Rebels should still ashamed of the way they handled that kid.

Name me one thing the Confederate nation has ever shown shame over (not counting faux shame to manage the media).

maroonmania
03-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Yes, but in his defense, he looked quite promising as a freshman only to have a major knee injury and never be quite the same after that.

NCDawg
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Charles Mitchell, Chad Bumphis, Vince Sanders, and Chris Jones did not flip their commitments though.

And Carlos Thompson definitely hasn't panned out. Like at all.

I think Carlos Thompson has been injured. In regard to Robert Elliot, he was injured also, and never really got the chance to prove what he could do. Of course, we had Vic Ballard also, and he couldn't beat him out.

Schultzy
03-03-2014, 05:29 PM

His commit to us was so random and unexpected that you couldn't even take it seriously.

Political Hack
03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
I haven't read it yet, but I'm looming forward to it. I'd say CJ Johnson and Eliiot both were solid players for the program. Neither were as good as advertised in the end, but both were overall solid program guys IMO.

BeastMan
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
I haven't read it yet, but I'm looming forward to it. I'd say CJ Johnson and Eliiot both were solid players for the program. Neither were as good as advertised in the end, but both were overall solid program guys IMO.

It wasn't meant as a "all these guys suck" piece. It was more "are these meltdowns worth this production". MSU fans absolutely lost it about losing CJ Johnson and there went our future at LB... Now pair that with the lack of fanfare when Benardrick McKinney signed. Fast forward to now. One is an elite LB and one is role player. Was the Johnson meltdown worth it?

DLGDawg
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Name me one thing the Confederate nation has ever shown shame over (not counting faux shame to manage the media).

Ha. You're absolutely right. Can't name a single time.....But they should be!!!!

Political Hack
03-03-2014, 06:04 PM
It wasn't meant as a "all these guys suck" piece. It was more "are these meltdowns worth this production". MSU fans absolutely lost it about losing CJ Johnson and there went our future at LB... Now pair that with the lack of fanfare when Benardrick McKinney signed. Fast forward to now. One is an elite LB and one is role player. Was the Johnson meltdown worth it?

I don't mean to toot my own horn (wink, wink, you know I do), but I called BMac > CJ that year and got thrashed as an unbelievable "homer." It's amazing what stars will do to people. And yes, I agree with your sentiment that people overreacted to pretty much everyone listed in this thread.

I also got ridiculed for saying Chris Jones was a beast as a two star early commit and for comparing him to Kimchee. Stars!!!!

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
In all fairness, C.J. Johnson is getting a medical redshirt and has 2 years left to play 2. Ask Tyler Russell what type of player he is. There's a much better chance of him getting highly drafted than there is him becoming a role player. If he hadn't been injured, he'd have been a star for them last year. He was well worth the recrootin hype.

Are we OK without him? Certainly. But let's not act like getting him would not have made our defense better. And besides, it was US who screwed his recruitment up. I happen to have a little inside information there.

Schultzy
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Then share your inside info. And I agree he has been good, it'll be interesting to see how bad the injury will affect him.