PDA

View Full Version : Cohen showed his jackassery this 7th inning

Will James
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
The blockhead is back in action. ****ing damnit!! ****ing moron.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 05:51 PM
That bunt made sure renfroe would get walked.

mic
05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
The blockhead is back in action. ****ing damnit!! ****ing moron.

Looked pretty smart in the 8th...

FlabLoser
05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
That pinch runner scores the tying run and gets a walk off RBI.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
And showed his ****ing brilliance in the 10th, bunt, bunt, bunt mother****er

WeWillScrewItUp
05-04-2013, 07:08 PM
And showed his ****ing brilliance in the 10th, bunt, bunt, bunt mother****er

^^^ this right here. Bell yeah mother ****er

Homedawg
05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
That bunt made sure renfroe would get walked.

Actually, Detz not getting on made sure renfroe got walked. Genius.

FlabLoser
05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Which part of W wasn't good? I'm not seeing it.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-04-2013, 07:14 PM

^^^x1000

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:11 PM
We bunted there because Adam looked HORRIBLE against their pitcher. If Mr. OBP Alex Detz does his thing and NOT swing at the first pitch- who knows? That was the real blockhead move right there. It's another example of managing the game in game based on INDIVIDUALS rather than broad stats.

Not only that, but Alabama looked like they went to the Ron Polk school of fielding bunts. We bunted six times, and the runner reached on THREE of those. If they are going to kick the ball around like that, we definitely should bunt if it's going to get us a base runner half the time. And only once did we screw up the bunt.

I'll say it- we lose this game if we don't bunt. Period.

Heck- this was one of maybe the best game Cohen managed all year- putting in Armstrong who scored the tying run which no way in hell would Rea have scored there, and if he tried, he probably pulls a hamstring and separates his shoulder somehow. Pinch hitting Pirtle who hit the game tying hit despite being ill, and putting in Girodo to get out of that jam. How about leaving Ben Bracewell in after the tainer looked at him? That took some balls, and it worked out. And as for tomorrow- we still have Holder, Fitts, and Ross available. Anyone else want to continue the we don't trust anyone in our bullpen other than Holder and Ross debate after that?

There were a lot of little moves that helped us win that game that go unappreciated by many of our fans.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:13 PM

X10000 Or how about BOTH wins?

FFF
05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
We bunted there because Adam looked HORRIBLE against their pitcher. If Mr. OBP Alex Detz does his thing and NOT swing at the first pitch- who knows? That was the real blockhead move right there. It's another example of managing the game in game based on INDIVIDUALS rather than broad stats.

Not only that, but Alabama looked like they went to the Ron Polk school of fielding bunts. We bunted six times, and the runner reached on THREE of those. If they are going to kick the ball around like that, we definitely should bunt if it's going to get us a base runner half the time. And only once did we screw up the bunt.

Heck- this was one of maybe the best game Cohen managed all year- putting in Armstrong who scored the tying run which no way in hell would Rea have scored there, and if he tried, he probably pulls a hamstring and separates his shoulder somehow. Pinch hitting Pirtle who hit the game tying hit despite being ill, and putting in Girodo to get out of that jam. How about leaving Ben Bracewell in after the tainer looked at him? That took some balls, and it worked out. And as for tomorrow- we still have Holder, Fitts, and Ross available. Anyone else want to continue the we don't trust anyone in our bullpen other than Holder and Ross debate after that?

There were a lot of little moves that helped us win that game that go unappreciated by many of our fans.

There were fans around me saying they wanted Mitch to swing away. Swinging away MIGHT have driven in a run, but it just as easily could have left us with a runner on third and 2 outs. After their third baseman (a Meridian boy) decided to watch the runner take second base before trying to throw out Frost, it gave us a golden situation. Hell, I feel you bunt Hunter Renfroe there if he's due up. The idea isn't numbers, it's a win, and a runner at third with 1 out scores far more often than a runner at third with 2 outs.

The one play I had issue with was Detz trying to pick off the runner at first trying to tag up. No reason to try for that... it was a great opportunity to eat it and keep the force play at second base. Other than that, Cohen really didn't do anything different than he has all year, it just worked this time. It's part of playing baseball.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
There were fans around me saying they wanted Mitch to swing away. Swinging away MIGHT have driven in a run, but it just as easily could have left us with a runner on third and 2 outs. After their third baseman (a Meridian boy) decided to watch the runner take second base before trying to throw out Frost, it gave us a golden situation. Hell, I feel you bunt Hunter Renfroe there if he's due up. The idea isn't numbers, it's a win, and a runner at third with 1 out scores far more often than a runner at third with 2 outs.

The one play I had issue with was Detz trying to pick off the runner at first trying to tag up. No reason to try for that... it was a great opportunity to eat it and keep the force play at second base. Other than that, Cohen really didn't do anything different than he has all year, it just worked this time. It's part of playing baseball.

Ding, ding, ding!

In this particular situation, bunting was smart because Mitch had a broken finger, and hasn't had an at bat since Texas A&M. I suspect he hasn't been hitting in the cage too much either. I don't like our odds of getting a hit in that particular instance. It also put the game in the hands of Robson, who is hitting better- followed by the top of the lineup.

On Detz- any time you miss Wes Rea with a throw...well that's a horrible throw. Agree- that was a bad play, and I think that's where maybe his inexperience as a third baseman maybe came into play. He should have eaten that ball- no doubt about it. Cost us a run.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:28 PM

I'd argue that by not trusting anyone but holder and Ross in game 1 that Cohen was forced to trust bracewell and girodo in game 2.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:30 PM

Lol @ rea pulling hamstring or separating shoulder. Funny, but probably true

FFF
05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd argue that by not trusting anyone but holder and Ross in game 1 that Cohen was forced to trust bracewell and girodo in game 2.

I don't think he was FORCED to trust Bracewell and Girodo, I think he already DOES trust Bracewell and Girodo. Those guys stepped up (as I would have predicted they would, if given the situation) and both came through huge for us. I really think you are overthinking this... we have the capability and depth in the bullpen... but if a big game is on the line and I have to choose between Ross and Girodo for a lefty matchup or Holder and Bracewell for a righty matchup (assuming they are all available), I go with Ross and Holder every time. Bracewell and Girodo of more than capable of performing at that level, though, as they showed us in game 2.

And now, look at who we have available for game 3... Lindgren, Ross, Fitts, Cox, Holder (he only threw 20 pitches today), Gentry, and Shelly. PLENTY of depth to leave us in a position to win.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't think he was FORCED to trust Bracewell and Girodo, I think he already DOES trust Bracewell and Girodo. Those guys stepped up (as I would have predicted they would, if given the situation) and both came through huge for us. I really think you are overthinking this... we have the capability and depth in the bullpen... but if a big game is on the line and I have to choose between Ross and Girodo for a lefty matchup or Holder and Bracewell for a righty matchup (assuming they are all available), I go with Ross and Holder every time. Bracewell and Girodo of more than capable of performing at that level, though, as they showed us in game 2.

And now, look at who we have available for game 3... Lindgren, Ross, Fitts, Cox, Holder (he only threw 20 pitches today), Gentry, and Shelly. PLENTY of depth to leave us in a position to win.

If holder only pitches 1 inning in game 1, do you think he goes in or holder? Butch and Cohen looked anything but sure when girodo walked lefty and rhb was up. They debated it and slauter gave them a minute by visiting mound

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:38 PM

And I love our bullpen tomorrow.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Except for the fact that Holder was up in the bullpen in game two and Myles Gentry was the first guy out of the bullpen.

The MAJOR difference was the fact that Graveman and Pollo were off today. If they get deeper into the game, no doubt in my mind we don't use Bracewell and Girodo.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 08:42 PM
If holder only pitches 1 inning in game 1, do you think he goes in or holder? Butch and Cohen looked anything but sure when girodo walked lefty and rhb was up. They debated it and slauter gave them a minute by visiting mound

It's called stalling to give your reliever a few more warm up tosses. The "debate" with Slauter was probably about where they should eat or how Will James was probably developing an aneurysm since we bunted six times.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
It's called stalling to give your reliever a few more warm up tosses. The "debate" with Slauter was probably about where they should eat or how Will James was probably developing an aneurysm since we bunted six times.

Haha. I'm just glad we won and some guys not named Ross and holder logged some tough innings. I feel much better about our bullpen after today. I hope bracewell continues to pitch more to help out holder.

Will James
05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Nobody including me has a problem with bunting Mitch. It was the right call.

I don't like one man on bunts or 2 man on bunts early in games.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Nobody including me has a problem with bunting Mitch. It was the right call.

I don't like one man on bunts or 2 man on bunts early in games.

You aren't alone.

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Except for the fact that Holder was up in the bullpen in game two and Myles Gentry was the first guy out of the bullpen.

The MAJOR difference was the fact that Graveman and Pollo were off today. If they get deeper into the game, no doubt in my mind we don't use Bracewell and Girodo.

And it was great that bracewell and girodo came through. This one maybe was the best win we've had all year because of the way we did it. Late inning heroics in conference games has not been our thing this year but in this one we came back for the tie in the 8th and the win in the 10th with pitchers pitching that haven't been counted on lately. IF we can win tomorrow then IMO we will have made up for most of what we lost with the sweep at Vandy.

Will James
05-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Shit, today made up for the Vandy by itself.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 09:35 PM
And it was great that bracewell and girodo came through. This one maybe was the best win we've had all year because of the way we did it. Late inning heroics in conference games has not been our thing this year but in this one we came back for the tie in the 8th and the win in the 10th with pitchers pitching that haven't been counted on lately. IF we can win tomorrow then IMO we will have made up for most of what we lost with the sweep at Vandy.

Agreed. Winning like this should make our team even more confident- not that being confident was an issue, but we haven't had a win like this all year. I think what made last weekend so bad wasn't so much us getting swept by Vandy as much as it was South Carolina winning at LSU. We are 10th now and they are back to 12, so yes, we have basically made up anything that we lost last weekend.

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Agreed. Winning like this should make our team even more confident- not that being confident was an issue, but we haven't had a win like this all year. I think what made last weekend so bad wasn't so much us getting swept by Vandy as much as it was South Carolina winning at LSU. We are 10th now and they are back to 12, so yes, we have basically made up anything that we lost last weekend.

Well, for me, I would like to see the sweep happen tomorrow to make up for last weekend. I was expecting us to get one against Vandy and to win the series at home against Bama going in. So to fully make up for last weekend I want to see us take all 3 this weekend.

Coach34
05-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Cohen and Mullen are two peas in a pod- and they are like a chick with a bad personality that is a really great ****- you really cant stand them at times, but then they do their thing and make you happy as hell and you say "well, I'll keep them around awhile longer. Not sure why I was even mad in the first place"

They both can be frustrating- but both are doing a good job. Cohen makes you want to punch a wall when he bats CT 4th- but we still won and not much you can say. Not sure what he has against Porter or why he likes midgets batting 4th- but we are in position to win 40 games in the regular season for the first time in awhile- and that is a sign of a good baseball program.

Todd4State
05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Cohen and Mullen are two peas in a pod- and they are like a chick with a bad personality that is a really great ****- you really cant stand them at times, but then they do their thing and make you happy as hell and you say "well, I'll keep them around awhile longer. Not sure why I was even mad in the first place"

They both can be frustrating- but both are doing a good job. Cohen makes you want to punch a wall when he bats CT 4th- but we still won and not much you can say. Not sure what he has against Porter or why he likes midgets batting 4th- but we are in position to win 40 games in the regular season for the first time in awhile- and that is a sign of a good baseball program.

A lot of our deficiencies with the lineup are due to having to recruit by selling a program that had three losing seasons. Based on what I have seen with our recruiting that is coming in, some of that should change. We're going to see bigger players and likely more power. I think Cohen has kind of gotten a bad rap with the small ball stuff, but I think he knew that with the way Dudy-Noble Field was built at the time and the fact that our program was in bad shape at the time- the best thing to do was to recruit pitching and get scrappy players with a lot of speed for the most part that can defend. In the meantime, bring in the fences, win to attract talent and see what happens. I don't think he is going to totally go away from the small ball stuff, but I think we will see a little bit better balance.

Cohen was on the hot seat after his second year here. He had players, Ron Polk, fans etc. bad mouthing him and the team basically turned on him. The baseball community is pretty small, and you better believe that our competitors in recruiting knew what was going on, and that they used it against us in recruiting. Shoot, I wasn't even sure if he was going to make it just because everything seemed to be against him.

But now that he has "his players" here- things have stabilized. I think the entire MSU family has finally warmed up to him for the most part. It's just a different attitude and mindset than what our fans had for basically 30 years- and it has taken them a little while to get comfortable with it.

Hump4Hoops
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Cohen's coaching decisions yesterday turned out to be key moments that won us the series - but he didn't impress me the most. The two players I've bitched about more than anyone in the past 2 years - Girodo and Frost - were great.