PDA

View Full Version : ESPN say- Dakota Prescott has the talent and experience...

Coach34
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
"to be the next big thing at quarterback in the SEC"

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/80052/sec-goes-from-the-hunted-to-the-hunter

No mention of Captain Bubble Screen...b-b-b-but he threw for alot of yards??????

Lloyd Christmas
03-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I love it. Football season can't get here fast enough.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Calling on the dead indians to NOT torpedo Dak's career like every other one we've ever had that got a little preseason hype.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 10:08 AM
I don't know, I think I want to enjoy the off-season a little bit longer than normal. We all know how quickly MSU football wool can be sheared.

FISHDAWG
03-03-2014, 10:11 AM
it's obvious that our mindset has changed regarding our expectations... but it's cool to see it starting to dawn on the media types

Jacksondevildog
03-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't think this will happen, but I don't want Dak to get Wayne Madkin disease. If you read too many paper clippings about yourself, it tends to go to your head. It's very contagious at Mississippi State University.

thunderclap
03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
When does spring practice start?

Coach34
03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Nothing went to Madkin's head. He was never a good QB. Madkin was decent- but we played great defense and ran the damn football. When we couldnt run anymore and had to depend on the passing game- Madkin was useless. Enter Fant who had some success but damn near got killed in the process. No OL and no defense makes for a tough QB career

Jacksondevildog
03-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I had just heard rumors about his attitude in the offseason prior to the 2001 season. I know Dak isn't this type of guy, but when you are told how good you are over and over, from a fan base that hasn't experienced a lot of success, it can go to your head. It is what it is.

mstatefan91
03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Dak is not Chris Relf. Dak is not Tyler Russell. Dak is not even Wayne Madkin.

Dak has a confidence and attitude that won't let him fail if it is within his power to win. He has a team that is willing to rally behind him and another year of experience. He also has an offensive system that it suited for him to run with a bowling ball RB in JRob and a core of WR with quite a bit more experience than last year.

Overall, if this isn't our year to try and vie for the SEC-West then that year will probably never come.

msstate7
03-03-2014, 10:32 AM
"to be the next big thing at quarterback in the SEC"

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/80052/sec-goes-from-the-hunted-to-the-hunter

No mention of Captain Bubble Screen...b-b-b-but he threw for alot of yards??????

Love it. Just hope Johnson, clausell, day, Malone, clayborn, etc can allow dak to reach his potential. Oh and bear becomes what he can be. I think they will

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Agreed. Fact of the matter is, we have a history of this sort of thing happening. QBs have early success, get cocky, flame out, get booed on senior day.

Joe Schmedlap
03-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Dakota won't "flame out" unless it is due to an injury that limits his abilities (see Bo Wallace).

Our WR and TE corps will be pretty decent and we have some promising tailbacks on the roster. It is an OL built on several projects that has me a little concerned for Dak's health. It will be a shame to have the best dual threat QB in maroon and white since Don Smith and have him play behind a crappy offensive line. Ask Kevin Fant just how well that works out.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I hope you're right.

If we had Anthony Dixon at RB, I'd say yeah we might contend for the West. Our best teams usually feature a great RB. Maybe Robinson will be it, but he's not in the 'great' mold yet.

FISHDAWG
03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
nobody here can refute your statement, however I think it's more of a better" team as a whole" this time than with previous QB's

bully99
03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
But Wayne Madkin was no Matt Wyatt.****

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
You right. Most of the time the QB's undoing is the OL rather than his own suckiness. But there again, top-flight QBs still find a way to succeed at least to a certain extent.

What I'm hoping doesn't happen is that Dak has a great season next year, then sucks his senior year due to Day/Clausell/Beckwith (and to a smaller extent....Robinson and Muniz) graduating. That following year we're looking at Malone and Johnson being the only seniors. Hopefully Desper/Carter/Senior are contributing starters by then and obviously Clayborn will be a junior and second year starter too.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 11:08 AM
We have two 4 year starters at Center and LT- your two most important positions on the OL. Center makes the blocking call adjustments to various fronts when defenses are shifting and stemming around. And obviously your LT protects the blind side and matches up against the defense's best pass rusher each Saturday.

We have Malone and Clayborne that have proven in their play they are SEC caliber linemen.

Johnson is a juco coming in with experience. If Beckwith returns, we have another SEC caliber linemen. Plus, all the other guys we have in the mix to help.

I personally still worry more about our WR's than I do the OL.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
You right. Most of the time the QB's undoing is the OL rather than his own suckiness. But there again, top-flight QBs still find a way to succeed at least to a certain extent.

not with terrible OL's

Manziel will have had 4 guys drafted from the OL in his 2 years at QB.
Andrew Luck had 3-4 of his OL at Stanford drafted
AJ McCarron has had lineman after lineman drafted
Auburn's QB this past year is about to have his LT go in the top 5-7 picks at the latest

Top-flight QB's always seem to linemen drafted

Political Hack
03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Bo Wallace shall henceforth be dubbed "Captain Bubble Screen"... or Goldilocks.

Dawgface
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Calling on the dead indians to NOT torpedo Dak's career like every other one we've ever had that got a little preseason hype.

Ain't that the truth.

Schultzy
03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
We will continue to pass block well. I hope we can start moving the line of scrimmage on third and one.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
We will continue to pass block well. I hope we can start moving the line of scrimmage on third and one.

or on 4th and 2 from the 4

Schultzy
03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
or on 4th and 2 from the 4

We moved their and A&M's line a good bit in conference last year, and J-Rob will require less room than Perk with his power and vision.
It might be too much to ask to move an upper tier SEC DL line but a man can dream. I remain hopeful.

GreenheadDawg
03-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I just pray for the day that i see C. Jones, N. James, P.J. Jones, and P. Smith blow up somebody's O-line. Thats a nasty D-line. I really hope James has got his head right

Schultzy
03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
That DL is the main reason why I have us at 7-1 in conference next year with an upset win at LSU or Alabama. It's not as much of a pipe dream as most think since both will be starting over at qb and LSU is still recovering from defensive attrition.
They're both still talented but can be had.

GrassOfDWS
03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
For those worried about Dak reading too much of his press clippings, don't. I constantly see people mention him on Twitter with stories about Dak in the hopes they'll get retweeted and he almost never does. That type of Twitter thinking almost always works for a retweet, but Dak doesn't care. If he struggles more than people think, it will probably be more because of injury just due to the offense we run which puts the QB in harm's way a good bit. It won't have anything to do with him reading press clippings.

fishwater99
03-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I think that will be 2015, not next year.

Pollodawg
03-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Nothing went to Madkin's head. He was never a good QB. Madkin was decent- but we played great defense and ran the damn football. When we couldnt run anymore and had to depend on the passing game- Madkin was useless. Enter Fant who had some success but damn near got killed in the process. No OL and no defense makes for a tough QB career

Thank you. Someone finally said it. Madkin is made better by nostalgia. He had very, very pedestrian numbers. He and Dak are not even in the same universe when it comes to talent. Hell, Dak sat a good bit of last season, and still equaled the second best season Madkin ever had.