PDA

View Full Version : Baseball thoughts

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Much better this week. This was almost like a restart of the season with a new lineup this week, but I think we know more about our team and have corrected some issues.

First of all, I don't understand people complaining about our hitting. We are currently hitting .292 as a team. As a team, we have struck out 86 times and have walked 85 and then we have been HBP 20 times already. Of our four losses, I would say that maybe two games were in large part because we didn't hit well- one against the National pitcher of the week winning on opening day. Now, we're not going to hit a ton of home runs and extra base hits- but that doesn't mean that we are a bad hitting team. It means we don't have power. There's a difference.

Now as far as the closer situation- I actually thought Holder looked better. He is hard to catch because his curve is so sharp- plus we have all new catchers who have not caught him a lot except for maybe Randolph. Holder gave up a double and walked a guy- but he also struck out three. I think he will be fine. If he's not, Lindgren and Will Cox have been very good. Once we get to SEC play, Dakota Hudson and Austin Sexton will likely move to the bullpen making us even deeper. Gentry has been good other than the home run he allowed. Ross is an All-American and continues to defy the laws of sabermetrics. That's plenty of arms- especially when we start playing three game series as opposed to four.

As far as the rotation, I think Woodruff will be fine in time- but the question is when will that be? Only God knows that- but he doesn't look like he's 100% from a command and confidence standpoint which is why it sounds like Bracewell will move to the rotation this weekend. Both Trevor and Ben have looked very good this year starting for us- but what I would do is move Lindgren from the pen to Friday, make Fitts start Sat., and then go with Woodruff on Sunday. That way we can keep Bracewell for midweek or we can use him out of the bullpen if we need to.

Gavin Collins stole the show this weekend when he played. He looked like Yadier Molina back there. I have no idea why Eastern Illinois kept running on him. He's also our best hitter among catchers right now at .278. I expect him to catch at least twice during every SEC weekend. Cody Walker is a good defender and probably will get the other start.

If Cohen starts the infield I want to see, we will only have one hitter under .300- and that hitter would be Wes Rea who checks in at .289. He also leads the team in home runs and RBI's and is one of our better hitters in the clutch. Pirtle has continued to play well and might be the best defensive second basemen in the SEC. He's hitting .339. Seth Heck has finally gotten some balls to find some grass for him and he has stabilized our defense while checking in at .304. And as you might suspect, I would start Reid Humphreys at third base. He is now hitting .333 with a home run and he also had a game winning hit. The only thing holding him back is experience- and I think Cohen wants to bring him along slowly to build his confidence. If Alex Detz doesn't start hitting- Cohen may be forced to make a move. Detz will be tested defensively by some of these small ball teams that we play this weekend that are going to like to bunt.

Our outfield is very deep. Jake Vickerson has been as advertised. Hitting .370 with 6 SB. CT strained his calf in game one of the doubleheader yesterday, but should be back by the weekend. He's hitting .342 with 2 SB and is our best bunter. Derrick Armstrong has played very well with CT out though- he's hitting .368 with a team high 7 SB. Demarcus Henderson is our Wille McGee. He will do something awesome, then he will do something that will make you want to throw something through your computer. And craziness just seems to find him- like when he walked and Robson stole home. As it is, he is hitting .345 with 6 SB. Cody Brown has been up and down at the plate and Robson has struggled, but he also has 4 SB.

Garner has surprised me a little bit, but he is more of a traditional DH in the sense that he has power. He also has shown that he can hit in some clutch situations. Garner is hitting .370 and needs to hit more. If we moved Detz back to DH where he didn't have to worry about defense- it wouldn't surprise me if he hit better. The issue with doing that is that means that Garner would be on the bench and that would hurt us from a power standpoint.

Jacksondevildog
03-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Very good points made. I agree about Detz. Cohen will give him a very long hook, but he may be the first player from last year to get his spot taken by someone else. Also, Armstrong is making a case for a starting spot in the outfield. I believe our feeling about this team would be greatly improved if we knew that Woodruff would pitch up to his potential. Not first round potential, but a guy that we can depend to get us 5 innings on a Friday night versus Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Maroons
03-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Disagree about Lindgren. I think he has a different (and much better) mentality out of the pen, and I expect him to continue to be lights out. His stuff and confidence both look great.

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
If I'm Woodruff, I would be leaning towards coming back for my senior year. I think once he puts it all together physically and mentally- he could parlay that into a bigger payday than the one will get at the end of this year.

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Disagree about Lindgren. I think he has a different (and much better) mentality out of the pen, and I expect him to continue to be lights out. His stuff and confidence both look great.

Perhaps- but I'm hoping that he could follow the same path that Stratton took his junior year. It has definitely started out very similarly. Plus I'd rather have Bracewell pitching against USM and in the Governor's Cup than Preston Brown.

Not that Preston has been bad- but Ben is that good.

MsStateBaseball
03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I just like Lindgren coming into 3 games on weekend instead of one, so leave him in pen.

bully99
03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Who's pitching against USA this week.

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Preston Brown is supposed to start. I'm guessing Will Cox will throw some as well.

MsStateBaseball
03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Is Paul Young even dressing out? Throwing bullpens?

bulldogcountry1
03-02-2014, 10:29 PM
I haven't had a big problem with our overall hitting. Our inability to do anything with RISP is where I have an argument. Outside of the 7th today, I bet we are well under .200 with RISP.

Will James
03-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Lindgren has only faced 25 batters this year. Huge reason we have 4 losses. It's ridiculous. He has a 56% K rate. You read that right. He has twice as many strikeouts as BALLS IN PLAY.

Hudson looks good throwing it fast but it just doesn't have the movement. He will get hit against good teams that aint scurrrd against velocity. He clocks in at a 15% K rate. He is midweek all season long in the WJ Book.

Woodruff should start vs USA if he can go. We don't need his headcase ****ing up our weekends. Relegate him to midweek or up big until otherwise noted.

Holder is fine, just needs innings.

Fitts and Bracewell are great. Saturday and Sunday starters for us.

Cox has been great when used which hasn't been enough.

WJ Pitching as of 3/2/14
Friday - Lindgren
Saturday - Fitts
Sunday - Bracewell

First out of the pen - Ross, Cox
Later out of the pen - Brown, Gentry

Closer - Holder

Midweek - Woodruff, Hudson, others

godlluB
03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Hudson looks good throwing it fast but it just doesn't have the movement. He will get hit against good teams that aint scurrrd against velocity. He clocks in at a 15% K rate. He is midweek all season long in the WJ Book.

Which is why we're throwing him now, to get the experience before we face the big boys. He's going to be outstanding with a little more Butch Thompson learnin'

Will James
03-02-2014, 10:40 PM
He's going to be outstanding with a little more Butch Thompson learnin'

On the fast-track Stratton path. Don't need him for SEC play THIS year though

smootness
03-02-2014, 10:40 PM
So when you struggle some with command, you're now a headcase?

Will James
03-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Detz to DH

Humphreys to 3B

Garner to be our pinch-hitter every game.

Get Pirtle out of the cleanup spot for goodness sakes

Put Rea in the cleanup spot for goodness sakes

Humphreys hits 5th.

Done toldja about Heck all offseason. Dirtbag material.

Collins as primary catcher

Bradford may need to be a late inning Defensive sub.

Will James
03-02-2014, 10:47 PM
So when you struggle some with command, you're now a headcase?

Seems to be. 22% BB rate thus far for Mr. Woodruff

maroonmania
03-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Seems to be. 22% BB rate thus far for Mr. Woodruff

Yikes, very Evan Mitchellesque.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Detz to DH

Humphreys to 3B

Garner to be our pinch-hitter every game.

Get Pirtle out of the cleanup spot for goodness sakes

Put Rea in the cleanup spot for goodness sakes

Humphreys hits 5th.

Done toldja about Heck all offseason. Dirtbag material.

Collins as primary catcher

Ill agree with will 100% for once. Even though he isnt an armstrong believer yet

godlluB
03-02-2014, 11:14 PM

CT has been clutch so far this season. If I'm turning in the starting roster, he's my center fielder. My only question
is how to handle Hendu, Jake Vickerson, and Armstrong for the other two slots. Right now, I think I take Vick and Armstrong.

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Is Paul Young even dressing out? Throwing bullpens?

I don't know is he is dressing out or not. I have heard that they are going to re-evaluate him in late March, but odds are he will have to have Tommy John surgery.

Will James
03-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Ill agree with will 100% for once. Even though he isnt an armstrong believer yet

Not a disbeliever. Just need more samples.

Dallas_Dawg
03-02-2014, 11:45 PM
I agree on all WJ points except maybe platooning Detz/Garner at DH based on matchups.

RAYn_Man
03-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Don't think Wes needs to be hitting cleanup. Three up three down in the first and you have Wes leading off the second inning. Plus, having a switch hitter as your 4 hole makes it almost impossible for a team to play bullpen match ups on the heart of your order.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm not an Armstrong believer yet either. Henderson has proven to be clutch in the past, and he always seems to be in the middle of a big offensive inning. I really like Armstrong off the bench as a pinch runner, and Garner as our first pinch hitter every game.
You cannot take Detz out of the lineup or CT. Both had great weekends and both are Senior leaders with a lot of Omaha experience...no chance Cohen benches either one, nor should he.
I agree with WJ 100%, but I will be nervous about Lingo's first start....he has been great out of the pen, so I hope starting him doesn't respark the head case from last year.

Sandman14
03-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Detz and CT are for-sure starters all season. Wasn't Detz like top 3 SEC OB% last season? CT a four-year starter?

Like last season, Cohen must ride with Woodruff until he goes down in flames. As for now, you keep trotting him out there on Fridays like he's your ace. Once he's benched, I think all hope is lost for the season. I actually believe in the guy and am still excited by him, but that is seeming to be willful blindness at this point (although this season hasn't been ALL bad for him).

I think Lindgren should get a look as the 3rd starter. The guy was pretty good as a youngster starting in the SEC. Give him a pass for last season's stretch. I'd rather have Bracewell out of the pen, especially since Bracewell as a starter concerns me. I'd hate for him end up with arm trouble, especially since he's a senior. Have him as your 3-4 inning eater in SEC play. Maybe multiple appearances on the weekend, depending on Ross Mitchell's availability.

I'd like Woodruff, Fitts, Lindgren. With Hudson learning and pitching mid-week, perhaps starting some in post-season tournaments. Ross first in of course. Holder all the way no matter what. Trot the rest out as you see fit.

Will James
03-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Don't think Wes needs to be hitting cleanup. Three up three down in the first and you have Wes leading off the second inning. Plus, having a switch hitter as your 4 hole makes it almost impossible for a team to play bullpen match ups on the heart of your order.

2 up 2 down in the first and you have big boy hitting with nobody on and TWO outs. Much rather have him lead off an inning than hit with nobody on two outs. At cleanup if he hits in the first it's GUARANTEED to be with a runner on. If not, then we have him and his good OBP to lead an inning off for us. Win-win. It's why your 4th or 5th best hitter needs to hit 3rd, which in my opinion right now is Pirtle.

Political Hack
03-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Armstrong is almost too valuable as a base runner to put him in the regular line up. It would be nice to be able to choose when we have him on base in the 7th inning plus.

RAYn_Man
03-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Lefthandersrule
03-03-2014, 09:25 AM
I just like Lindgren coming into 3 games on weekend instead of one, so leave him in pen.

Lingo got up and ready in the bullpen every game this weekend but was only brought in once, that's a nice thing to have. I believe once we get to the SEC schedule we will see a lot more of the experienced pitcher getting the lions share of the work.

HancockCountyDog
03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
If I'm Woodruff, I would be leaning towards coming back for my senior year. I think once he puts it all together physically and mentally- he could parlay that into a bigger payday than the one will get at the end of this year.

There are rare exceptions, but if you get drafted as a senior, you get peanuts, regardless of where you are drafted. Especially with the new slotting system and pool money, a college senior doesn't get slot unless there is an agreement early. It happens sometimes, but normally seniors gets squeezed.

thedawg
03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
The real question to me is about whether or not Wes goes pro... If he hits 300ish and 10 bombs where will he be drafted? any chance we could have him another year?

Jacksondevildog
03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I've always viewed Rea and Holder as 4 year guys. I could definitely see them leaving after this year, but it would be great to have them back for their senior year.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah......everybody thinks that just because Real Deal Mitchell excels in the bullpen role, that everybody must lose their head if they become a starter. It's not like Lindgren hasn't done it before. I don't really think we can lose with him, the way he's throwing it. He's gone to the draft this year no matter what, so I can give him a chance to be the Friday night guy if Bracewell can't handle it this weekend.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
This is Rea's 4th year though, remember he redshirted. He may be graduated and ready to roll on out after this year. Holder I feel will be back for another season.

At this point the only pitcher that is for sure history (besides the seniors) is Lindgren. Scouts love him.

Will James
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
When JL goes in the 1st round remember who said it first

HancockCountyDog
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
I've always viewed Rea and Holder as 4 year guys. I could definitely see them leaving after this year, but it would be great to have them back for their senior year.

I think we have a shot with Rea, but Holder will get drafted top 10 rounds - and you have to go then.

I think Rea will get drafted top 10 rounds as well, and you have to leave then, at least if you want to play past college. I know some guys don't, but for the most part I would think this is their last year.

Im wondering if Ross Mitchell will get drafted. Luckily for us, he doesn't have the draft measurables, but damn can that boy pitch.

Bullmutt
03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Question: Collins picked off four baserunners this weekend. Anybody know who was our last C to do that in a game?

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Lindgren has been projected to go highly his entire career.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 03:23 PM
There are rare exceptions, but if you get drafted as a senior, you get peanuts, regardless of where you are drafted. Especially with the new slotting system and pool money, a college senior doesn't get slot unless there is an agreement early. It happens sometimes, but normally seniors gets squeezed.

With his talent, I think it would be worth the risk. if he gets squeezed his senior year, I still think that he would get more money than he would as a health risk.

Todd4State
03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
The thing about Rea hitting third- we really don't have a true traditional number three hitter like we did last year with Renfroe. I think Humphreys will eventually become that, and maybe even Garner has that potential, but as it is now they are freshmen and it seems like most people want to bench one of them. I don't think either one of them is ready for the mantle of hitting third.

You want your number three hitter to have some power- and as it is we are either going to be unconventional at three or four in the lineup. Rea is our best all-around hitter when you consider power + average. Plus, we are something like 13-3 with Rea hitting third in our lineup and that factors in as well. Hitting 3rd or 4th is negligible when you are talking about situations because hitting third with two outs and leading off an inning means you can only maximize one run either way. And if the lead off hitters get on, the guy batting third or fourth is still going to hit in the first inning with a runner on either way. So, with that being the case, I'd rather hit Rea third and increase the odds that he is going to get one more plate appearance slightly by moving him up one.

bgdog
03-03-2014, 03:51 PM

We won't need to remember. You will remind us every chance you get from now until signing day.