PDA

View Full Version : Time to put ref on the spot again

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Is this storm coming in stronger and faster than expected? Woke up this morning to see winter storm warnings and advisories much further south than I expected. Thoughts on what the hwy 82 corridor wakes up to tomorrow. Saw some crazy temps for Memphis tonight.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Is this storm coming in stronger and faster than expected? Woke up this morning to see winter storm warnings and advisories much further south than I expected. Thoughts on what the hwy 82 corridor wakes up to tomorrow. Saw some crazy temps for Memphis tonight.

Memphis? Hell. Plain and simple. Highway 82 corridor it's a very small piece in the Delta that most likely will get it. The further West you go, the better chances for ice accumulations that you have. I think the real impact line will be Sunflower/Leflore county line. Even then, they may not get any wintry precipitation.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Memphis? Hell. Plain and simple.

Doesn't that pretty much sum up Memphis regardless of the forecast?

TheRef
03-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Doesn't that pretty much sum up Memphis regardless of the forecast?

I'm not touching that...

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 02:42 PM
One more quick question for you. Nothing to do with weather forecasting. Just wondered if you have heard any rumors on whether or not the NWS planned to upgrade the Columbus radar to include the high definition scans. With my new RadarScope app I've noticed almost every other radar site I've gone to has that now. I read some where that it is still not true level 2 data but it still shows a lot better detail than standard...especially in velocity mode.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
One more quick question for you. Nothing to do with weather forecasting. Just wondered if you have heard any rumors on whether or not the NWS planned to upgrade the Columbus radar to include the high definition scans. With my new RadarScope app I've noticed almost every other radar site I've gone to has that now. I read some where that it is still not true level 2 data but it still shows a lot better detail than standard...especially in velocity mode.

The problem with upgrading the Columbus radar to Hi-Res, it costs way too much. I don't see Columbus getting Hi-Res data due to the fact that the budget simply is being shrunk for NWS, so I wouldn't expect Columbus to have their radar upgraded to Hi-res.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 02:50 PM
The problem with upgrading the Columbus radar to Hi-Res, it costs way too much. I don't see Columbus getting Hi-Res data due to the fact that the budget simply is being shrunk for NWS, so I wouldn't expect Columbus to have their radar upgraded to Hi-res.
I was afraid the answer would be something like that, but when you're laid up with a kidney stone instead of out enjoying a beautiful day like this you have time to wonder about stuff like this.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 02:54 PM
I was afraid the answer would be something like that, but when you're laid up with a kidney stone instead of out enjoying a beautiful day like this you have time to wonder about stuff like this.

Haha..trust me, it kills me too. Also, the MS Delta needs its own Radar site but we both know that's not going to happen even though it is desperately needed for the area.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Haha..trust me, it kills me too. Also, the MS Delta needs its own Radar site but we both know that's not going to happen even though it is desperately needed for the area.

I noticed that. My main chase area around Greenwood is on the outer periphery of all the radars. Meanwhile, nw Alabama is so well covered you couldn't fly a stealth in there and it not be detected. Most places are scanned by four different radars.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I think the front may be coming through faster than expected. Just talked to my mom in greenwood and she said the wind has picked up and temp is dropping there. The NWS had her window for storm activity at 9:00 to midnight but closer to 9:00. Looks like something pushed it through about 5 hours early.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I think the front may be coming through faster than expected. Just talked to my mom in greenwood and she said the wind has picked up and temp is dropping there. The NWS had her window for storm activity at 9:00 to midnight but closer to 9:00. Looks like something pushed it through about 5 hours early.

Temp is dropping, but the storms associated with the front haven't quite made it into the highway 82 corridor yet. I'm keeping an eye on it.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Full State risk map from MEMA:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1621763_10151964706000732_1207131536_n.jpg

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Temp has dropped around 20 degrees the last 30-45 minutes in greenwood. Now 58 after being in the upper 70's. And that reporting station is 8 miles east of town. Not quite as bad as the one for Starkville being at GTR, though. Is that hard to get a guy to read a thermometer once an hour in Starkville? Seems some elderly guy would rather do that instead of being a greeter at walmart.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Temp has dropped around 20 degrees the last 30-45 minutes in greenwood. Now 58 after being in the upper 70's. And that reporting station is 8 miles east of town. Not quite as bad as the one for Starkville being at GTR, though. Is that hard to get a guy to read a thermometer once an hour in Starkville? Seems some elderly guy would rather do that instead of being a greeter at walmart.

Technically there is an ASOS station at Bryan Field. The NWS, however, prefers to use GTR due to it being more reliable.

Op4isabitch
03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Memphis is looking great, looks to be a fun night.

TheRef
03-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Memphis is looking great, looks to be a fun night.

God I love TAFs and METARs. They're fun to decode, also.

Op4isabitch
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Ref,

I wish I could get you to work with me for a month or two then, TAF's and METARS are my life. : )

TheRef
03-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Ref,

I wish I could get you to work with me for a month or two then, TAF's and METARS are my life. : )

When and where do I apply?

Op4isabitch
03-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Memphis. Not sure if they are taking apps for the department you would like but I can sure find out! Drop me a PM if you like.

Bully13
03-02-2014, 06:16 PM
this one seems different than the norm. here is fort worth, we have about 1/4 inch of sleet and snow and the roads are starting to slick over. . usually, that means jackson, ms and above will be getting it soon afterwards.. I was surprised to see starkville not in any trouble.. the trajectory seems to be moving in a more northward direction this time

the overnight stuff seems to be uncertain..they've already missed the colder than originally projected temps here in north texas

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Feels like temp starting to drop in Starkville now.