PDA

View Full Version : Oxford gonna Oxford

Coach34
03-02-2014, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/EliteDawgs/status/440163171894972417/photo/1

BeastMan
03-02-2014, 12:56 PM
If I was an OM fan and lived in Oxford, I'd be down there kicking asses, charges and fines be damned...

godlluB
03-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Oxford County?

Coach34
03-02-2014, 01:30 PM
yeah- they meant Lafayette County

Bully13
03-02-2014, 01:42 PM
seriously, did that really happen today? or even recently...I'm calling BS unless someone can explain why

Political Hack
03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
it never stops.

when your school glorifies symbols of racism, it's going to attract people who glorify racism. it's not rocket science.

hailmari
03-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Putting tradition ahead of going to church. Dedication!

Coach34
03-02-2014, 02:12 PM
seriously, did that really happen today? or even recently...I'm calling BS unless someone can explain why

Nafoom says it happened yesterday and is making the rounds on Facebook

messageboardsuperhero
03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Some of those people are saying that it's an old picture, but I don't think so. That Honda is a pretty new model- no later than 2008-2010, and probably newer than that. If that picture wasn't taken this weekend, it had to have been within the past year or two.

I'm sick of people in Oxford and at UM being okay with this shit and saying "it happens everywhere." No, this garbage does not happen everywhere. I'm sorry. Nooses aren't hung on statues of civil rights leaders everywhere. Alcohol isn't thrown on black people while yelling racial slurs everywhere. Dixie flag protest garbage does not happen everywhere. This is an Oxford/UM problem, and until they start changing the culture, they will continue to attract these type of idiots to Oxford.

dickiedawg
03-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I don't know about the year model of the honda, but that particular license plate was released October 2012.

Dawgface
03-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Sweet. More pics to show fence line recruits.

Coach34
03-02-2014, 04:06 PM
"Old Times there are not forgotten"

messageboardsuperhero
03-02-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't know about the year model of the honda, but that particular license plate was released October 2012.

Very true. That is not an "ole picture" at all.

Vandownbytheriver
03-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I know those same folks were in that spot in mid-November. A friend of mine posted this picture on his way to work. For the most part, everyone here thinks these assholes are insane.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/7703_10200484008137333_521015448_n.jpg

archdog
03-02-2014, 07:25 PM
I know those same folks were in that spot in mid-November. A friend of mine posted this picture on his way to work. For the most part, everyone here thinks these assholes are insane.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/7703_10200484008137333_521015448_n.jpg

What happens when 12 years a slave wins an oscar.

Goat Holder
03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
We might need to back up from the self righteousness and actually see what the real deal is. Maybe they are the sons of Confederate veterans or something? Not everything has to be about sports, racism and hate.

Bucky Dog
03-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Did anyone see the article in C-L this morning talking about the statue desecration trouble? They were speaking to a black female student from Brandon I think, and she was quoted as saying something like, "I didn't realize racism or think about my blackness until I came to school here"! Somebody can link it.

Political Hack
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
It happens everywhere, but it happens in Oxford all the time.

TexasDawg
03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I just don't understand why a high profile African American recruit would want to attend that University. No amount of money would make me comfortable there

Gen. Grant
03-02-2014, 08:34 PM
We might need to back up from the self righteousness and actually see what the real deal is. Maybe they are the sons of Confederate veterans or something? Not everything has to be about sports, racism and hate.

So what if they are? They stand for the same thing "Ole Miss" does. It is eternally linked to race and discrimination whether those fools from SoCV see it or not--any confederate symbol is and forever will be linked to it. Show recruits this mess and put it in to proper historical context not that "heritage not hate" bull shit.

Goat Holder
03-02-2014, 08:41 PM
So what if they are? They stand for the same thing "Ole Miss" does. It is eternally linked to race and discrimination whether those fools from SoCV see it or not--any confederate symbol is and forever will be linked to it. Show recruits this mess and put it in to proper historical context not that "heritage not hate" bull shit.

A lot of people died during that whole deal, good and bad. It doesn't hurt to remember them. I don't give two shits about racism or any other idealistic BS cause. I've got too many other things on my mind to waste time as a martyr, hypocrite or anything else.

dawggoneit
03-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Just a small reenactment of game day in the Grove. Minus drunk sluts and goofy red pants.

M.Fillmore
03-02-2014, 08:50 PM

The dude of the right is wearing a Confederate Flag vest? And just where does someone buy a vest like that...Rebel Rags?

DudeDawg
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
This occurred yesterday (3/1/14). I saw it with my own 2 eyes. Bunch of rednecks.

Vandownbytheriver
03-02-2014, 10:14 PM
The dude of the right is wearing a Confederate Flag vest? And just where does someone buy a vest like that...Rebel Rags?

Oh, that's not a vest, that's a jacket. And I have no clue.

hells bells
03-02-2014, 10:22 PM
It happens everywhere, but it happens in Oxford all the time.

On Monday you posted nothing from Oxfart this week. Back to the norm.

John Farley
03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
The sad thing to me is that I live here. And for the most part the people that live here are really not a bad group of people. There is actually a pretty good sized group of Bulldog fans here. Most of this crap happens when people come here from out of town. The Mississippi kids here for school normally are not a bad bunch either. But you have a large group from Georgia and Texas that act like asses all the time. It is a very weird place. In the summer when the schools are closed it's not actually a bad place to live. If you show these folks you ain't gonna put up with their crap they will actually leave ya alone. Lol.

Bamboo
03-03-2014, 08:16 AM
This occurred yesterday (3/1/14). I saw it with my own 2 eyes. Bunch of rednecks.
This is the only school in the country that ignorant rednecks, have a place to call home. Without marketing to the redneck though, their enrollment would decrease substantially.

Bamboo
03-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Oh, and big difference between the strong, hard working redneck and the ignorant racist type that OM caters to.

notsofarawaydawg
03-03-2014, 09:05 AM
The sad thing to me is that I live here. And for the most part the people that live here are really not a bad group of people. There is actually a pretty good sized group of Bulldog fans here. Most of this crap happens when people come here from out of town. The Mississippi kids here for school normally are not a bad bunch either. But you have a large group from Georgia and Texas that act like asses all the time. It is a very weird place. In the summer when the schools are closed it's not actually a bad place to live. If you show these folks you ain't gonna put up with their crap they will actually leave ya alone. Lol.

Tell that to the 400 who were out on the campus lawn election night yelling racial slurs. Yes, there are a FEW, but not as many as there should be. Their mothers, fathers and grandparents hold on to their confederate heritage and the symbols that represent it. Also, if you are a student and don't appreciate the symbols your school uses to represent them all over this nation, you should stand up and be heard. But then you would get your brains bashed in somewhere on campus by the student-athletes being paid to go to school there.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Hard working types are rarely racists, because they don't have time to be. I like to think I fall into that group, because I have never cared enough to go around hating people. It's generally ALWAYS the mfers who have too much time on their hands, like the rich folks with spoons up their asses. Notice how Ole Miss attracts them but MSU largely doesn't? Ole Miss discriminated against poor white people too.

Coach34
03-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Bottom line is that incident after incident keeps happening at Oxford/Ole Miss. That part cant be denied.

Their excuse of "it happens everywhere" is bullshit. There may be isolated incidents elsewhere- but Oxford and Ole Miss are the repeat offenders that just dont stop. It happens over and over and over again.

Vandownbytheriver
03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I've been here 8 years and the only times I've ever remotely had problems were on game days. I'd be willing to wager the people were not residents of Oxford. The problem you have is people who come back to Oxford who want to relive their frat star days and act like complete assholes. The people who live here, for the most part, are just like every other small town Mississippi city. I know it's hard to believe, but there are not weekly Klan meetings and the African Americans here get to eat in the same places as the white folk. Shocking i know. Just like Starkville and State, Oxford and Ole Miss are separate entities. Both have good and bad.

PassInterference
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I've been here 8 years and the only times I've ever remotely had problems were on game days. I'd be willing to wager the people were not residents of Oxford. The problem you have is people who come back to Oxford who want to relive their frat star days and act like complete assholes.

I think that is really the point.

Ole Miss has for decades embraced racist symbols, namely Colonel Reb, the confederate flag, Dixie, and the nickname of the school itself. Yes the term "Ole Miss" is a slave's slang for the wife of a plantation owner.

The Ole Miss people who grew up with that culture want to return to Oxford and re-live it. And people who aren't Ole Miss people, but still share love for racist symbols, want to go to Oxford and relish in it.

Ole Miss has banned the confederate flag and they've got a soft ban on Col Reb (he is still around, just not on the sidelines). They are about 20% into what needs to be a full blown re-branding. For taking those small steps, they have caught a lot of hell from their alumni base who romanticizes the old south. They need to finish the other 80%, and I don't see them ever doing that. They can't let go of their identity.

fightinbluereb
03-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I went to a school that glorifies racist symbols, but I blame everyone else for that.

Goat Holder
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
So, when you look like shit, you want to be attached to us. But when you're up, you want to be attached to LSU. Which is it?

That's the ultimate arrogance to get in front of MSU fans and say, "You better be concerned about Ole Miss because what we do affects you!".

No, it doesn't. What you do right now isn't ultimately what is causing MS to be unattractive to outsiders. It's things that happened years ago. Those stereotypes aren't changing, especially in the media. So you're not that powerful you piece of shit prick. But what it DOES do, is make you look ridiculous in front of the people that you and I are competing for, and that's Mississippi's crop of students, and the immediate surrounding areas. Thanks for that, by the way.

Ban this clown.

blacklistedbully
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
I come in peace. I am an Ole Miss grad but didn't grow up in MS. and have lived in many parts of the country. First let me say that I get that this is a message board, and you do will say whatever you wish about Ole Miss because you obviously hate them and celebrate any thing negative that happens in Oxford. BUT, as some one who did once live and work in MS., maybe you should worry less about attacking a rival in football and worry more about doing productive things to help "Your State." Your state has areas that are worse than some third world countries. Your State is near the bottom in education and near the top in poverty and income inequality. Your state still has de-facto segregation due to the private schools that dominate rural areas. (Which I'm sure NO State Grad attended.) The idiots that pull this kind of racist crap are a product of YOUR STATE. Not one school, not one class, but a state which overall has shown little desire to change the status quo that I can see. MAYBE its time to worry less about race baiting and digging up dirt on your rivals football team, and spend more time encouraging alumni of BOTH schools to work to fix the problems which make Your State the poster child for inequality and poverty in America.

Our school has always been the more progressive. Our school has always had higher minority enrollment. Our school is populated by Mississippi people, BY FAR. Your school has a high number of out-of-state enrollment, yet you are far more a magnet to racism than our school.

Oh, and the students from your school that desecrated the statue were from Georgia, not Mississippi, asshole.

DawgHouseUnited
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
I come in peace. I am an Ole Miss grad blah blah blah let me trash State and MS as a whole!

Gee, a college athletic board that trashes the rival school? TEH HORRORS!

You sound just like an OM fan- griping about "Your state" while never accepting responsibility for the crap that happens (current, as in right now) at YOUR school. Noose hung on a racial-unity statue? That's an OM thing. Students throwing drinks & racial slurs at another student? OM. Football players throwing gay slurs at a theater production? You guessed it- OM.

So yeah, WE have lots of work to do to fix Mississippi's problems, because it looks like all Ole Miss is doing is creating problems.

PassInterference
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
The rebel is correct. Ole Miss's race problems are a drag on the whole state.

Most of us here recognize and promote awareness that one big solution to Ole Miss's race issue would be for Ole Miss to drop all the old south bullshit.

I thank the rebel for his concern and I simply state that we Elite Dawgs are actively campaigning for the above solution. In that regard, we and this particular rebel are on the same page.

Vandownbytheriver
03-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Every time one of these things happen, it's not from Our State. You can try to bash Mississippians all you want, but it's ****tards from Georgia, Texas, Missouri, and Louisiana that do this shit. Because they go to school here, people associate them with Mississippi. Maybe we should do more research about what happened instead of coming over here and trying to declare your superiority because these dickwads from out of state keep doing stupid shit.

shoeless joe
03-03-2014, 07:45 PM
I've been here 8 years and the only times I've ever remotely had problems were on game days. I'd be willing to wager the people were not residents of Oxford. The problem you have is people who come back to Oxford who want to relive their frat star days and act like complete assholes. The people who live here, for the most part, are just like every other small town Mississippi city. I know it's hard to believe, but there are not weekly Klan meetings and the African Americans here get to eat in the same places as the white folk. Shocking i know. Just like Starkville and State, Oxford and Ole Miss are separate entities. Both have good and bad.

I'm not calling you're post complete BS but this type incident is not just an ole miss problem. It is a problem I have personally seen in Oxford not related to the university. Posted this in a previous thread but it bears repeating: when a majority black high school sports team comes to play at oxford and has a song played by a game worker over the loud speaker that was titled "the government can" and references the government paying money to a certain group of people that is complete horse shit. This followed by the racial slurs hurled all game and then adults acting like it's not as big a deal as was made out to be. Again horse shit. This is an oxford problem, possibly brought on by the traditions of the university but it is 100% not relegated just to campus.

fightinbluereb
03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Maybe you don't get it. I like Mississippi. I CHOSE to go to school there. I chose to live and work there, but as someone who didn't grow up there I can tell you that most people from outside the state and especially outside the region don't see MSU and UM as being that different. When they think Mississippi they think Mississippi burning. They think of the poverty in the Delta (where I taught by the way, trying to do some good in the state) they think of the fact that the flag of the state of MS STILL has the stars and bars on it. Hell, even ESPN has been know to confuse the two schools.

I don't know what you think, but my ire doesn't stem from some juvenile football rivalry. I care about the state and the perception of the state. I for one would gladly drop a lot of the Old South imagery today if I thought it would help. The reality is that it is the people of the state don't really want it to go away. Yes, it usually is a bunch of out of state jackasses who pull this tired shite at Ole Miss, BUT, these out of state people aren't responsible for the poverty in Ms. They don't send their kids to private schools instead of public schools. They don't elect politicians who support the status quo. And let's get one thing straight race relations aren't the only reason people see MS as backwards. MS is at the top of the bad lists and the bottom of the good in everything from education to obesity. When states like Bama, Ga, and MS still believe that its ok to pass "religious freedom laws" which essentially legalize discrimination against gays and anyone else whose behavior "religious" folks don't like it does make the state and the region look bad.

(and by the way has no real problem with MSU beyond the very few people who I've met who seem to get some weird satisfaction by watching assholes do stupid things at Ole Miss)

Political Hack
03-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Every time one of these things happen, it's not from Our State. You can try to bash Mississippians all you want, but it's ****tards from Georgia, Texas, Missouri, and Louisiana that do this shit. Because they go to school here, people associate them with Mississippi. Maybe we should do more research about what happened instead of coming over here and trying to declare your superiority because these dickwads from out of state keep doing stupid shit.

or maybe we shouldn't have schools that glorify racist symbols that attract those fuqtards.

BeardoMSU
03-03-2014, 08:20 PM
they think of the fact that the flag of the state of MS STILL has the stars and bars on it.

When states like Bama, Ga, and MS still believe that its ok to pass "religious freedom laws" which essentially legalize discrimination against gays and anyone else whose behavior "religious" folks don't like it does make the state and the region look bad.

Ok, you do have a point with these. But just out of curiosity, what state are you from?

Vandownbytheriver
03-03-2014, 08:32 PM
or maybe we shouldn't have schools that glorify racist symbols that attract those fuqtards.

I'm there with ya. I despise all this shit. Growing up in Columbus it was everywhere in Caledonia and New Hope. Idgits gone idgits.

LC Dawg
03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
You gotta love the Rebels. Instead of going to the Grove on game day and telling his former classmates to quit posing for pictures with Colonel Reb this guy comes on a Bulldog message board and tells us what we're doing wrong.

lefty96
03-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't know what you think, but my ire doesn't stem from some juvenile football rivalry.

I can't speak for everyone, but for a good many of us State fans, our ire towards football stems from a very non-juvenile disgust at the symbols and embarrassment that Ole Miss brings to the whole state. As a MSU alum living out of state, I don't give 2 shits what their sports teams are doing, but I get damn tired of trying to explain their actions and traditions to others. So when I say GTHOM, I mean it on all levels.