PDA

View Full Version : The biggest thing that sucks about our baseball team. ..

coastratdog
03-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Can't get that extra base hit. We have no power at the plate. Third inning, two on, the next two batters draw walks. We only score 1 run. Brown or walker get an extra base hit we go up big. Out of about 340 plate appearances we only have 15 extra base hits. Only 3 home runs, all by one player. All against MSM. Really! !!! We seem to go looking for a bb or hbp. So far our best hitters with 30 or more pa's r 2nd and CF. Pitching will only carry u so far and that distance so far this year that about from the Union to the Library. Recruit the power positions which traditionally are the corners. With the exception of Memphis all the teams we have played still have snow on their fields. I know we will not go undefeated but losing to this schedule is absurd especially since all were played at home. If this was next years schedule we would have a losing record. We don't start getting more power at the plate then u can forget post season. I've got other rants on recruiting but that is for another time.
Just my opinion. OK all u experts blast away.

State82
03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=coastratdog; Pitching will only carry u so far and that distance so far this year that about from the Union to the Library.[/QUOTE]

Pitching, and pitching only, carried UCLA all the way to a national championship last year. Not disagreeing we need to step up the offense because we certainly do, but a strong and deep staff will take you to championships. And our pitching has not been without some of its own problems early.

dickiedawg
03-01-2014, 09:42 AM
FIRE COHEN! WE NEED MOAR HOMERUNZ!

Will James
03-01-2014, 09:44 AM
That way too large field in Nebraska has a little to do with it. I can't believe college baseball allows that fence to be in its showcase event. It's beyond absurd and its NOT baseball. Pitching up for fly balls cause the home run is not in play is cheap

bully99
03-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Not that it matters, but Rea homers came against Holy Cross, not St Mary's. Why should it surprise anybody on our size, because cohen has recruited a lot of small judy hitters , Although with Humphreys and Rooker and Ingram, he seems to be recruiting a little more size. I made a comment last night on here about how small our players are, except for Rea. They may be judy hitters, but damnit, they're our judy hitters.

Homedawg
03-01-2014, 10:19 AM
That way too large field in Nebraska has a little to do with it. I can't believe college baseball allows that fence to be in its showcase event. It's beyond absurd and its NOT baseball. Pitching up for fly balls cause the home run is not in play is cheap

This is a good post.

Goat Holder
03-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't matter if our defense and pitching was what it was supposed to be. Woodruff sucking has cost us 2 games, and errors cost us the others. We might not like our hitting but it's not like that's the main culprit.

Todd4State
03-01-2014, 10:40 AM
That's why we have to manufacture runs by stealing bases and things like that. It's not ideal, but it is what our team is this year. I really think a big problem last night was not starting Demarcus and Garner. I understand resting catchers from time to time, so I'll give Cohen a pass for not starting Walker.

If we start the people that should start, our offense isn't that bad.

Collins- starting to hit well.
Rea is a good hitter.
Pirtle is good.
Detz is struggling, but has hit in the past.
Heck hasn't hit that much, but he has hit better than Britton and Hann plus he plays better defense.
Vickerson has hit well especially after the first weekend.
CT has hit well this year.
Demarcus has hit well and is stealing bases.
Garner has hit well.

If we play those guys- maybe substitute Humphreys in for Detz if Detz doesn't start hitting- then we are going to be OK.

Especially with our pitching.

Todd4State
03-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Wouldn't matter if our defense and pitching was what it was supposed to be. Woodruff sucking has cost us 2 games, and errors cost us the others. We might not like our hitting but it's not like that's the main culprit.

We've only lost one of Woodruff's starts and I would say errors cost us two other games. The other game we lost we pitched freshmen and only scored one run.

Dirtbagdawg
03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
It takes a while for hitters to get into a groove. The offense will come. We have
too much talent and the best hitting coach in the nation (Cohen) for it not to get better.
Pitching and defense are the two things that will get us back to Omaha. Be patient. It's February.

maroonmania
03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Not that it matters, but Rea homers came against Holy Cross, not St Mary's. Why should it surprise anybody on our size, because cohen has recruited a lot of small judy hitters , Although with Humphreys and Rooker and Ingram, he seems to be recruiting a little more size. I made a comment last night on here about how small our players are, except for Rea. They may be judy hitters, but damnit, they're our judy hitters.

Yea, we don't a lot of power guys but the problem is that the few we have aren't always making the lineup. Garner HAS to stay in the lineup. Don't give me any of this lefty on righty crap. He HAS to stay because he and Rea are really our 2 power threats at the moment. And Robson doesn't need to play much. Maybe later in the year if he gets in the cage but right now he looks worse as a hitter than last year. He struck out 3 times last night and doesn't hit the ball that well when he does make contact. Right now Hendo should start most of the time and use Cody Brown when you need another left handed bat on occasion. I personally think the lineup is pretty much set at this point with the exception of catcher. I'm not overly impressed with any of those guys at the moment but the rest of the positions SHOULD be:

Rea -1b
Pirtle -2b
Heck -SS
Detz -3B
Vickerson -LF
Bradford -CF
Henderson -RF
C - ?

That should be our regular starting lineup along with coming to some decision on catcher. At the other positions we should be set until someone starts having defensive issues, gets hurt or needs a day off.

Todd4State
03-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Also- we are going to have more power in the future.

Collins, Vallot if he comes to school, Cole Gordon, Dale Burdick, Humprheys, Swinarski, Rooker, Austin Riley if he comes to school and Garner are all guys that are going to hit for power in the future for us. If anyone is worried about their size- all are listed at 6'0" or taller. Although I think size is overrated in general.

Goat Holder
03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I guess I was counting Woodruff's game last night as a loss because it felt like one.

Point is still valid.

bully99
03-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Robson struck out three times, but when you start 0 and 2 in the count because of the incompetent umpiring, it's hard to hit. That home plate umpire should never ump again. DISGRACEFUL.

preachermatt83
03-01-2014, 12:58 PM
That's why we have to manufacture runs by stealing bases and things like that. It's not ideal, but it is what our team is this year. I really think a big problem last night was not starting Demarcus and Garner. I understand resting catchers from time to time, so I'll give Cohen a pass for not starting Walker.

If we start the people that should start, our offense isn't that bad.

Collins- starting to hit well.
Rea is a good hitter.
Pirtle is good.
Detz is struggling, but has hit in the past.
Heck hasn't hit that much, but he has hit better than Britton and Hann plus he plays better defense.
Vickerson has hit well especially after the first weekend.
CT has hit well this year.
Demarcus has hit well and is stealing bases.
Garner has hit well.

If we play those guys- maybe substitute Humphreys in for Detz if Detz doesn't start hitting- then we are going to be OK.

Especially with our pitching.

^^This times 1000000

preachermatt83
03-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Yea, we don't a lot of power guys but the problem is that the few we have aren't always making the lineup. Garner HAS to stay in the lineup. Don't give me any of this lefty on righty crap. He HAS to stay because he and Rea are really our 2 power threats at the moment. And Robson doesn't need to play much. Maybe later in the year if he gets in the cage but right now he looks worse as a hitter than last year. He struck out 3 times last night and doesn't hit the ball that well when he does make contact. Right now Hendo should start most of the time and use Cody Brown when you need another left handed bat on occasion. I personally think the lineup is pretty much set at this point with the exception of catcher. I'm not overly impressed with any of those guys at the moment but the rest of the positions SHOULD be:

Rea -1b
Pirtle -2b
Heck -SS
Detz -3B
Vickerson -LF
Bradford -CF
Henderson -RF
C - ?

That should be our regular starting lineup along with coming to some decision on catcher. At the other positions we should be set until someone starts having defensive issues, gets hurt or needs a day off.

Collins should get the nod at catcher... his hitting will come around but even if it doesn't his defensive skills are sick.. he has the quickest release ive ever sseen.. ever..

maroonmania
03-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Collins should get the nod at catcher... his hitting will come around but even if it doesn't his defensive skills are sick.. he has the quickest release ive ever sseen.. ever..

Yes, after watching today's game Collins has won me over. Just threw out his FOURTH baserunner of the game. I'll wait on the offense if he has that kind of gun.

RougeDawg
03-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Size really doesn't matter with aluminum bats. It'sore technique which is harped on since the Polk 2 days. You can take a 5'8" 185 guy and have 15-20 home runs in a full season if he has proper technique. The only hitters we've had the last few years with proper technique were Renfroe and Frazier. Renfroe didn't learn his technique until he went to Cape Cod, where they teach proper mechanics. Cohen apparently doesn't teach mechanics and approach at the plate or his players don't listen, one. I've been saying this and getting bashed since Cohen came. He's not teaching proper mechanics/approach or the payers are doing their own thing. Can only be one or the other. I can teach and show them, because I learned from one of the best, and he's won the CC championship many times. A good hitting coach would have these guys filling up the gaps at minimum.

Saltydog
03-01-2014, 04:37 PM
nt

Bully13
03-01-2014, 05:12 PM
the biggest dissapointment so far is that we played for the national championship last year and now we are playing like we're ranked 45th or something. there is no excuse to this early season suckfest.

Political Hack
03-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Outfield Dimensions (in feet)
LF - 335, LC - 375, C - 408, RC - 375, RF - 335

Field dimensions
LF: 330, LC: 376, CF: 390, RC: 374, RF: 326

Field dimensions
LF: 330 ft; LC: 365 ft; Center: 405 ft; RC 365 ft; RF: 330

Three fields. Close to the same except for CF, which is redonkulous at >401.

Jacksondevildog
03-01-2014, 05:22 PM
We are better than we were a week or so ago, but we are still struggling to get anything going. Offensively, we are either pressing or we aren't worth a shit. I hope for the first option. We are horrid with runners in scoring position. It looks like we have found our 10 or 11 guys that we will stick with every game. It it showing that Lindgren needs more innings. He dominated in that appearance today. Hopefully we see him again before late April.

coastratdog
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I totally agree with u Rouge. It helps to b 6' 190 but without good tech all we have r bigger players. Need to hire a football ST coach and a baseball hitting coach. I think the kids go up looking for a free pass. Then when they get down in the count they pressure. My son had several professional hitting coaches and he left his HS with career BA, D's and HR's. Got to have a hitters mentality.

Dog316
03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Can't get that extra base hit. We have no power at the plate. Third inning, two on, the next two batters draw walks. We only score 1 run. Brown or walker get an extra base hit we go up big. Out of about 340 plate appearances we only have 15 extra base hits. Only 3 home runs, all by one player. All against MSM. Really! !!! We seem to go looking for a bb or hbp. So far our best hitters with 30 or more pa's r 2nd and CF. Pitching will only carry u so far and that distance so far this year that about from the Union to the Library. Recruit the power positions which traditionally are the corners. With the exception of Memphis all the teams we have played still have snow on their fields. I know we will not go undefeated but losing to this schedule is absurd especially since all were played at home. If this was next years schedule we would have a losing record. We don't start getting more power at the plate then u can forget post season. I've got other rants on recruiting but that is for another time.

------------------------

Yeah, the team sux. The coach hasn't a clue. He could not even win a National Championshio last year, and he is supposed to be a baseball coach. He is definitely in over his head.

I seen it dawg
03-01-2014, 10:13 PM

You and Bully13 and rougedawg go fellate each other.

RAYn_Man
03-02-2014, 02:30 AM
Size really doesn't matter with aluminum bats. It'sore technique which is harped on since the Polk 2 days. You can take a 5'8" 185 guy and have 15-20 home runs in a full season if he has proper technique. The only hitters we've had the last few years with proper technique were Renfroe and Frazier. Renfroe didn't learn his technique until he went to Cape Cod, where they teach proper mechanics. Cohen apparently doesn't teach mechanics and approach at the plate or his players don't listen, one. I've been saying this and getting bashed since Cohen came. He's not teaching proper mechanics/approach or the payers are doing their own thing. Can only be one or the other. I can teach and show them, because I learned from one of the best, and he's won the CC championship many times. A good hitting coach would have these guys filling up the gaps at minimum.

You are lost. Dumbest shit I've seen on here in a while. Please never comment again. Thank you.

maroonmania
03-02-2014, 08:30 AM

The biggest issue with TD Ameritrade is not so much its size (although dead CF is ridiculously deep just like Rosenblatt was) but where they placed it and in the direction they placed it. They turned it opposite of how the old Rosenblatt used to be and now there is a steady 20-25 mph wind coming in straight from the outfield. Very difficult to get a ball out anywhere there except right down the lines because the ball gets knocked down in a stiff breeze. I don't know what options they had and as stated, the old Rosenblatt often had too much wind blowing out which made it too much a hitters park, but taking the HR totally out of play was NOT the answer.

RAYn_Man
03-02-2014, 11:03 AM
I totally agree with u Rouge. It helps to b 6' 190 but without good tech all we have r bigger players. Need to hire a football ST coach and a baseball hitting coach. I think the kids go up looking for a free pass. Then when they get down in the count they pressure. My son had several professional hitting coaches and he left his HS with career BA, D's and HR's. Got to have a hitters mentality.

Sounds like we need your son to play for the dawgs!!!* get clue man...

bully99
03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Cohen was supposed to be a hitting coach guru, but I haven't been impressed. He wants everyone to be a judy hitter. Leave the slap hitting to softball please.

messageboardsuperhero
03-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Cohen was supposed to be a hitting coach guru, but I haven't been impressed. He wants everyone to be a judy hitter. Leave the slap hitting to softball please.

This is just not true. Did he try to turn Renfroe/Rea/Connor Powers/(soon to be) Humphreys into slap hitters? Hell no.

He does try to turn our 5'-10" 150 pound outfielders/middle infielders into contact hitters so they can hit the ball on the ground and use their speed. Cohen is going to teach our hitters how to swing the bat the best way for each individual player to be successful.

The problem with you is that you'll bitch about Cohen making CT Bradford have a ground ball/line drive approach and call him a judy hitter (when that is clearly the way he should hit), but then you'll also bitch if CT pops out three times in a game and say Cohen can't teach guys how to hit. This is so stupid- especially given the new bats. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone openly search for things to complain about as much as you do. If we don't win every game 15-0 while hitting three home runs and having no strike outs, you will bitch about it and say "meh, I wasn't impressed."

Todd4State
03-02-2014, 05:15 PM
This is just not true. Did he try to turn Renfroe/Rea/Connor Powers/(soon to be) Humphreys into slap hitters? Hell no.

He does try to turn our 5'-10" 150 pound outfielders/middle infielders into contact hitters so they can hit the ball on the ground and use their speed. Cohen is going to teach our hitters how to swing the bat the best way for each individual player to be successful.

The problem with you is that you'll bitch about Cohen making CT Bradford have a ground ball/line drive approach and call him a judy hitter (when that is clearly the way he should hit), but then you'll also bitch if CT pops out three times in a game and say Cohen can't teach guys how to hit. This is so stupid- especially given the new bats. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone openly search for things to complain about as much as you do. If we don't win every game 15-0 while hitting three home runs and having no strike outs, you will bitch about it and say "meh, I wasn't impressed."

Because Roooonnn Polk would have won every game 15-0. When it didn't happen, it was that's baseball.

BullDog
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
The only thing that bothers me more than the EliteDawgs collective Basketball IQ Is W. Rea tossing the bat on a Backward K like he knows it's ball4. That pisses me off, once in a blue moon is okay. That guy does it every 3rd at bat and it's something I'd expect from the likes of a Marshall Henderson if he played Baseball, I CAN'T STAND IT! It makes it so easy for an ump to call the strike 3. It's a bad habit and it reflects badly on the coach that he does not stop that BS.