PDA

View Full Version : Is Mitchell the best pitcher we have ever had?

Coach34
03-01-2014, 12:13 AM
I literally dont remember any pitcher we had that was as consistent and as dominating

bully99
03-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Jeff Brantley in the aluminum bat era. Mid 70's.

preachermatt83
03-01-2014, 12:19 AM
I literally dont remember any pitcher we had that was as consistent and as dominating

im not but 30 but he is the best in my lifetime.

bully99
03-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Brantley came to State as a 5 foot 9 140 lb shorstop and became one of the great pitchers in college baseball history. Guy was a nasty competitor. Only negative was the 1984 regional final against uno. But he was pitching on one day rest.

Coach34
03-01-2014, 12:26 AM

Brantley pitched from about 83-85....and he was outstanding...but I dont remember him being as good as Mitchell in college

War Machine Dawg
03-01-2014, 12:26 AM
The two best I remember seeing were Eric Dubose and Paul Maholm. Chris Stratton's JR year was that caliber, too. But Dubose and Maholm did it for multiple years. Ross is certainly in that discussion, though.

Dawg61
03-01-2014, 12:27 AM

Yes to Ross and Brantley was mid 80s. Will Clark team.

Coach34
03-01-2014, 12:37 AM
2012-

Chris Stratton 2.38 11-2 109.2 84 33 29 25 127
Ross Mitchell 1.18 3-0 38.0 24 10 5 8 24

2013:

Ross Mitchell 1.53 13-0 94.0 72 22 16 29 44

Stratton got lit up until 2012

Coach34
03-01-2014, 12:38 AM
2003- Maholm:

2.76 9-2 107.2 102 39 33 39 101

bully99
03-01-2014, 12:41 AM
If my memory is right, Brantley was 45 and 12 and co holds the sec record for wins in the sec. Was 18 and 2 in 1985' would have been 19 and 2 if thigpen doesn't give up the walk off at the cws.

Dawg61
03-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Wow tough to beat Brantley's win record but I doubt he comes close to Ross's ridiculously low ERA the last two years. Ross Mitchell has been un****ingbelievable. He gets a statue at this rate.

engie
03-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Ross Mitchell is now 17-0...As a reliever...Good chance he ends up with 25+ wins at the end of this year...

bully99
03-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Brantley pitched 427 innings at State(1982-1985)' .-Not sure what his era was .He was a workhorse.

Will James
03-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Lindgren

bully99
03-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I'm sure you'll break down all the whips and wars. Then we'll all know the best.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Ross is best pitcher in msu history

bully99
03-01-2014, 01:30 AM
And how long does your history go back. Smh

Will James
03-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Ross is best pitcher in msu history

Child please. Need we show how often relievers have up inherited runners last year. He's good no doubt but that is a joke statement. Especially compared to Holder last yr.

BeardoMSU
03-01-2014, 02:05 AM
What makes Slim so awesome to watch, is his stuff. He's slangin' the rock with such command. Those batters look at him, thinking they are gonna go yard on his 85mph fast ball, then he throws it, and its moving all over the place. Which he then follows that pitch up with a 60mph curve/chang up/etc. His speed change makes him so hard to get a read on, and even when they do, they never get a good piece of it, and end up grouding/popping out. The dude is a freak of nature.

BeardoMSU
03-01-2014, 02:09 AM
I agree. Last year Holder was money.

Also, I know Coach mentioned that Strat got lit up "until 2012"...Ok? So does that discredit what he did in 2012? That dude was the best pitcher in the league. I remember watching him strike out, what like 17 batters, at LSU, and we still ended up losing 1-0. That dude was the quintessential ACE pitcher, which we are in desperate need of now. That being said, having a guy like Ross that throws stuff in such a unique way, really helps us out. Not many teams have a guy that can come in like he does and keep the shit from getting too bad.

CJDAWG85
03-01-2014, 03:08 AM
What makes him so good is he uses the same arm slot for the majority of pitches and he is really good at locating his pitches. Not to mention, he stays really loose out there. He's a great guy and I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting him.

Dawg61
03-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Child please. Need we show how often relievers have up inherited runners last year. He's good no doubt but that is a joke statement. Especially compared to Holder last yr.

Actually yes now you need to compare Ross's numbers to everybody since you just called it a "joke statement". Show what you're saying because all I see is Ross Mitchell saving our ass time and time and time and time again. For two seasons now he's had an ERA in the cant****ingseeit range and he's getting close to what 18-0 as a reliever? Don't post ****ing retarded fan boy graphs either that not even Jonah Hill would look at to get in role for Money Ball.

MafiaDawg
03-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes and it sucks that we have blown him for the whole weekend because woodruff is a complete headcase

rrog17
03-01-2014, 08:40 AM
What's the over/under for innings pitched by Mitchell and whether he can go again in the same weekend?

Schultzy
03-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Someone explain to me why Ross Mitchell is not a candidate to be a weekend starter.

I seen it dawg
03-01-2014, 09:27 AM
The two best I remember seeing were Eric Dubose and Paul Maholm. Chris Stratton's JR year was that caliber, too. But Dubose and Maholm did it for multiple years. Ross is certainly in that discussion, though.

Dubose was absolutely filthy. It may be between him or Ross.

engie
03-01-2014, 09:55 AM
I agree. Last year Holder was money.

Also, I know Coach mentioned that Strat got lit up "until 2012"...Ok? So does that discredit what he did in 2012? That dude was the best pitcher in the league. I remember watching him strike out, what like 17 batters, at LSU, and we still ended up losing 1-0. That dude was the quintessential ACE pitcher, which we are in desperate need of now. That being said, having a guy like Ross that throws stuff in such a unique way, really helps us out. Not many teams have a guy that can come in like he does and keep the shit from getting too bad.

You can't be the best in the history of State without doing it for multiple years -- and really from day 1. Stratton isn't in the conversation for best pitcher in MSU history in the exact same way Renfroe isn't in the conversation for best hitter in MSU history. By the time they really got it together and dominated, they were gone...

tcdog70
03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Brantley Jones,Mike Profitt, Kenny Kurtz and Bobby Reed were all good

Will James
03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Actually yes now you need to compare Ross's numbers to everybody since you just called it a "joke statement". Show what you're saying because all I see is Ross Mitchell saving our ass time and time and time and time again. For two seasons now he's had an ERA in the cant****ingseeit range and he's getting close to what 18-0 as a reliever? Don't post ****ing retarded fan boy graphs either that not even Jonah Hill would look at to get in role for Money Ball.

If we're looking at facts Ross gave up inherited runners more than most other relievers last year. Ross or Girodo last year in a big spot? I'm taking Chad. Theres a reason the team name in our league was the Grande Girodos. And especially Holder, shit he was either 1 or 1A reliever in the nation.

Again. This is not a knock on RM. he's great. But best we've ever had needs to be put in the right context.

Homedawg
03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Lindgren

What does this mean? That he's in the conversation for greatest ever or just that u think he's better than Mitchell? For the record I like lindgren, but based on his accomplishments this is one of the dumbest things you've ever posted and that's saying something. Is Jacob going to be a pro? Yes. Can he have a great year? Yes his stuff is filthy. But he's been marginal and inconsistent for 2+ years. While Mitchell has been the exact opposite. I know I know he's lucky. Has been for 3 years and you'll pull some bs stat out to prove it. It's been 3 years! 3 years just stop w the r Mitchell is lucky shit it make you sound stupid.

CadaverDawg
03-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Someone explain to me why Ross Mitchell is not a candidate to be a weekend starter.

Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why would you change a thing about a guy that is 17-0? Don't F with it.

Plus I think it's an advantage for Ross to piggy back off of a hard throwing righty. Makes his stuff seem even tougher I bet

Goat Holder
03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
He tried it in summer ball last year, and got rocked.

Schultzy
03-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why would you change a thing about a guy that is 17-0? Don't F with it.

Plus I think it's an advantage for Ross to piggy back off of a hard throwing righty. Makes his stuff seem even tougher I bet

I'll buy that. Now I can move on from it, just needed a reason.

dawgman
03-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Brantley Jones,Mike Profitt, Kenny Kurtz and Bobby Reed were all good

Jones and Profitt got us through the regular season to our first CWS and if I recall correctly, Profitt could not play in the post season due to playing as a freshman and not having eligibility left. SEC allowed freshmen and NCAA did not.

preachermatt83
03-01-2014, 12:51 PM
If we're looking at facts Ross gave up inherited runners more than most other relievers last year. Ross or Girodo last year in a big spot? I'm taking Chad. Theres a reason the team name in our league was the Grande Girodos. And especially Holder, shit he was either 1 or 1A reliever in the nation.

Again. This is not a knock on RM. he's great. But best we've ever had needs to be put in the right context.

man you are throwing away a lot of respect that I used to have for your baseball opinion. Some of the statement you have made the last few days have just been odd. You can pull all kind of weird stats from anywhere you want but how many times has Ross took over in a game that we were going to lose easily and just shut it absolutely down just like last night. Comparing Ross Mitchell to Holder is just not even sane thinking. Holder is a good closer. That is it. Ross is a great pitcher. He is greg maddux 2.0

tcdog70
03-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Jones and Profitt got us through the regular season to our first CWS and if I recall correctly, Profitt could not play in the post season due to playing as a freshman and not having eligibility left. SEC allowed freshmen and NCAA did not.

Mike Profitt had a great career . But if I remember it was Hall and Jones that couldn't play. But Whoop Stick Henderson stepped up and pitched his ass off.

Dawg61
03-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Closers or late relief pitchers get eliminated from the best PITCHERS ever conversation because they simply don't face enough batters. Is Mariano Rivera the best closer ever? Absolutely. Is he the best pitcher ever? No he doesn't even get consideration. Is Aroldis Chapman the nastiest pitcher to face on the planet right now? Yes for an inning or at bat. Is Aroldis Chapman the best pitcher in the world today? No because he only throws max of 30 pitches an appearance. See how this works yet? That's why Holder and Girodo don't even come into consideration for greatest pitcher in MSU history.

Tbonewannabe
03-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Doesn't matter when he is throwing 6 - 7 innings. I don't give a shit how "lucky" he is when he seems to get "lucky" for 2 straight years. Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine got lucky for about 15 years.