PDA

View Full Version : I hope Graveman is ready to pitch a complet game today....

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
because we are now going to burn Holder for 3 innings here in a game we had a 8 run lead in. Just a shame we have so few pitchers Cohen is willing to rely on. I think I would have given Ross another batter or two here to see if he could have gotten out of this 7th inning given we still have a 4 run lead.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:14 PM
because we are now going to burn Holder for 3 innings here in a game we had a 8 run lead in. Just a shame we have so few pitchers Cohen is willing to rely on. I think I would have given Ross another batter or two here to see if he could have gotten out of this 7th inning given we still have a 4 run lead.

You're gonna get a lot of folks mad at you telling the truth about our pitching depth. Should've used bracewell there

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Our biggest issue with our pitching staff right now is we just don't have enough pitchers that can regularly find the strike zone. A lot of wildness on this staff.

Goat Holder
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Burn him? He's easily going to pitch again either tonight or tomorrow.

I swear our fans smoke crack.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:26 PM

If Cohen pitches him again tonight, he's really pushing it. I don't want that kind of reputation for abusing arms.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:32 PM
If Cohen pitches him again tonight, he's really pushing it. I don't want that kind of reputation for abusing arms.

If he gets next two quickly, then ill change my mind about tonight. He's been very efficient so far

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
If he gets next two quickly, then ill change my mind about tonight. He's been very efficient so far

Nicely done holder. I'd rather him only pitched an inning in game 1, but he minimized his pitches. We can use him tonight for an inning.

CadaverDawg
05-04-2013, 03:37 PM
We ought to just let Holder keep pitching into the second game! He is really pitching well right now.

Now we have Graveman, Bracewell, Fitts, Girodo, Shelly for game 2 and Lindgren, Ross, Holder, and everybody else for Sunday. No more depth needed unless Graveman doesn't make it out of the 1st inning today. And if that were to happen, we likely wouldn't win anyway.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
We ought to just let Holder keep pitching into the second game! He is really pitching well right now.

Now we have Graveman, Bracewell, Fitts, Girodo, Shelly for game 2 and Lindgren, Ross, Holder, and everybody else for Sunday. No more depth needed unless Graveman doesn't make it out of the 1st inning today. And if that were to happen, we likely wouldn't win anyway.
It worked out well. Holder pitching 2.2 innings with like 20 pitches is why though. Holder is unreal

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Smoke Crack? I see the Sixpack smartass mentality is creeping over here as well. Look, Cohen MAY pitch him again tomorrow but he would look like a pure out arm abuser if he pitches him again today in the second game after pitching him multiple innings in the first game. Luckily though he did get through the end of the game with reasonably few pitches for 2.2 innings of work. Its pretty obvious though that we would have been in much better shape had Mitchell been able to carry us at least until the 9th. Then Holder could have likely pitched an inning again in the second game if needed. I just wish he would have gone another batter or 2 with Ross and felt like it was sort of quick hook there given we still had the 4 run lead.

swdawg
05-04-2013, 03:45 PM
yep...

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 03:54 PM
It worked out well. Holder pitching 2.2 innings with like 20 pitches is why though. Holder is unreal

Well if he truly got by with that few number of pitches then he might actually be available for an inning in the second game if needed. Didn't realize the count was down that small but 20 pitches for ONE inning certainly happens at times. That did work out well for as early as we brought him in.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Well if he truly got by with that few number of pitches then he might actually be available for an inning in the second game if needed. Didn't realize the count was down that small but 20 pitches for ONE inning certainly happens at time. That did work out well for as early as we brought him in.

I agree with you. It worked out this time; but holder is a strikeout pitcher so usually he'd have a lot more pitches. We're lucky he got by with so few pitches

Goat Holder
05-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I sure don't want to be a smart-ass so I'll just say flat out - I thought what you posted was seriously over the top and dumb. There. Pitching Holder seriously was not that big of a deal.

maroonmania
05-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I sure don't want to be a smart-ass so I'll just say flat out - I thought what you posted was seriously over the top and dumb. There. Pitching Holder seriously was not that big of a deal.

I'm about done with this but expending Holder for THREE INNINGS in the first game of the series that we were holding a FOUR RUN lead in was DUMB. Luckily though we did get by with minimum wear and tear to Holder's arm so it didn't really turn out to be that bad. And sorry, but if you thought pointing that out was dumb then you need a little broader perspective on things. No problem with you disagreeing with my concern but in NO WAY was what I posted dumb. Its ridiculous to even say that.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm about done with this but expending Holder for THREE INNINGS in the first game of the series that we were holding a FOUR RUN lead in was DUMB. Luckily though we did get by with minimum wear and tear to Holder's arm so it didn't really turn out to be that bad. And sorry, but if you thought pointing that out was dumb then you need a little broader perspective on things. No problem with you disagreeing with my concern but in NO WAY was what I posted dumb. Its ridiculous to even say that.
I agree but 20 pitches is nothing

3 innings sound worse

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
It's like this: Using your closer for three innings to protect a 4-run lead is dumb. Period. Holder only throwing 20 pitches means we got lucky. As someone else said, Holder is a strikeout pitcher - as most good closers are. That means they run up the pitch count quickly. Getting lucky doesn't mean it was a smart decision. It wasn't. This is why some of us have bitched about pitching depth. That was a perfect chance to use anyone but the Big 4. Instead, we try to burn out our closer.

And I'll say this: It could be Butch and not Cohen. If what Todd heard was accurate about Cohen wanting to get other pitchers into the games, but Butch continuing to use the same guys then that tells me Cohen generally stays out of the way and lets Butch manage the staff as he sees fit.