PDA

View Full Version : my view on certain players

preachermatt83
02-28-2014, 11:37 PM
I want to break down certain players into groups...This is all completely my opinion.

1) Played their way into a no-doubt starting roll
Garner
CT
Vickerson
Henderson
Pirtle
Rea
Collins

2) Should start despite a perhaps slow start due to just simply being the best option
Detz
Heck

3) should enjoy permanent residence on the bench due to pitiful production
Britton
Robson
Randolph

4) Still on the fence but should get some playing time in the right spots
Armstrong
Brown
Hann
Walker (very limited)

5) Pitchers who have performed well enough to def be wkend starters
Fitts
Bracwell
**** I would put Lindy here but I just really think he performs better as a long relief guy much like Ross

6) Pitchers who should battle for third wkend spot and midweek spot
Hudson
Brown
Sexton

7) Pitcher who is Evan Mitchell 2.0 and should be benched
Woody

alright, fire away.. Also who am I missing... just seems like im forgetting someone important.

MadisonDawg
03-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Humphreys

chainedup_Dawg
03-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Agree for the most part. However, Heck may deserve to be in the first group. Although I say that because he's had limited reps st the plate but his glove has seemed to sure us up a good bit

Ideally, I'd kill for Garner to step up defensively so we could start him and move Detz to DH but no way to know if that will ever happen

preachermatt83
03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Humphreys

that's right! Thanks.. I'd put him in group 4.

smootness
03-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Detz is a clear starter and won't be moved from there unless he somehow becomes a disaster. What he did last year carries far more weight than what someone like Vickerson has done so far this year.

I'm not saying those two are competing against each other, just saying Detz is absolutely in group 1.

And I don't understand why people are giving up on Woodruff. He didn't pitch much at all last year, he should be fine. Once he gets his command, he'll be shutting people down.

CadaverDawg
03-01-2014, 01:18 PM
If Garner was a good defensive catcher it would open up several options, you're right chainedup. It would allow us to DH Detz, and then add Humphreys bat to the lineup by putting him at 3rd. Not to mention it would take our current catcher's bats out of the lineup. But since Garner apparently isn't a good defender, I'm really hoping Collins bat gets hot. I think he is capable of hitting for good average and providing some extra base hits, while being a solid catcher as well.

smootness
03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
But since Garner apparently isn't a good defender, I'm really hoping Collins bat gets hot. I think he is capable of hitting for good average and providing some extra base hits, while being a solid catcher as well.

This. I actually think this is the ideal solution, even over Garner being good enough to catch. I would love to have both Collins and Garner in the lineup. I just hope Collins and Humphreys can get comfortable enough at this level to be dangerous hitters for us going into the postseason.

Goat Holder
03-01-2014, 02:53 PM
You all forget that Collins was as big of a recruit as Humphreys. I highly doubt Humphreys would produce any more than Collins, even if he was getting the at-bats. Our fans have some sort of fascination with Humphreys, and it's a little unfair to him to have those type expectations. Swinarski was a bigger recruit than all of them, and he's likely redshirting. What does that tell you?

None of them are ready, but I'm just as confident in Collins' hitting as I am Humphreys'. They'll all 3 be on the field next year so who cares. None are a strong point in 2014.

MsStateBaseball
03-01-2014, 08:54 PM
For one thing, players develop and improve over a season, so no one is left out. These kids will keep working and get better.

AFDawg
03-01-2014, 09:50 PM
For one thing, players develop and improve over a season, so no one is left out. These kids will keep working and get better.

This. If I recall correctly, people were calling for Pirtle's head this time last year.

dickiedawg
03-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Collins, if I'm not mistaken, threw out 3 runners trying to steal second and picked another off 2nd base in game one yesterday. I'd say he's pretty solid in that role right now.

Garner apparently not being able to fit anywhere defensively really hurts him. I believe Detz has earned the benefit of playing time.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-02-2014, 09:52 AM
On the fence with armstrong? How much closer to batting .400 and how many more steals does he need to get playing time for you?