Todd4State
02-28-2014, 10:40 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/alabamas_nick_saban_offers_fir.html

War Machine Dawg
02-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Thou doth protest too much, Nicky.

Todd4State
02-28-2014, 10:55 PM
All I really want is the game to be officiated correctly. I don't think it's too much to ask that the chains are set before a play is run.

War Machine Dawg
02-28-2014, 11:46 PM
All I really want is the game to be officiated correctly. I don't think it's too much to ask that the chains are set before a play is run.

I agree that the chains should be set. No problem with that. But I have a problem with legislating temp out of the game. It's a legitimate strategy to employ. Testing your opponents conditioning is part of the game. If Saban wants to gripe about Auburn running 20+ more plays per game, then maybe the Nicktator should stop being such a control freak and go up-tempo himself.

I'd say the biggest change that needs to be made in football is the physical conditioning of the officials. I remember watching some show several years ago about the SEC refs and they were talking about the physical "test" they had to pass every year to be an official. It was a complete joke. If fatass Rocky Goode is can pass a "fitness test" then the fitness test sucks. Make it hard so that the officials can actual run and get themselves into position to make the correct call instead of looking like they're smuggling beer kegs under their shirts.

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure the 10 second rule is the best answer. I thought it was a good idea and you can't argue against player safety but what if your defense is wanting the other team to snap it that fast? Say you've planned for it and you're ready for it and you stop them. You then gain an advantage when you stop a fast-paced offense because you get the ball back quicker and their defense hasn't rested as long. Yes you're helping all defenses with this rule but you're also saving the nascar offense from its biggest weakness. Which is when it doesn't work it turns the ball back over too quick. Something to consider imo.

Todd4State
02-28-2014, 11:56 PM
I agree that the chains should be set. No problem with that. But I have a problem with legislating temp out of the game. It's a legitimate strategy to employ. Testing your opponents conditioning is part of the game. If Saban wants to gripe about Auburn running 20+ more plays per game, then maybe the Nicktator should stop being such a control freak and go up-tempo himself.

I'd say the biggest change that needs to be made in football is the physical conditioning of the officials. I remember watching some show several years ago about the SEC refs and they were talking about the physical "test" they had to pass every year to be an official. It was a complete joke. If fatass Rocky Goode is can pass a "fitness test" then the fitness test sucks. Make it hard so that the officials can actual run and get themselves into position to make the correct call instead of looking like they're smuggling beer kegs under their shirts.

But if they officiate it properly, I don't feel like it's legislating the tempo out of the game.

I definitely agree that the officials need to be conditioned better.

dogshiek
03-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Saban has little man syndrome. He controls Bama and thinks he should control all of college football.

Dirtbagdawg
03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I think the hurry up offense is bullshit, although it has created some excitement. But still, it's bullshit.
It's not the way the game was meant to be played and it's like the teams who do it aren't man enough
To put the ball down and play. Don't like it and never will.

Dirtbagdawg
03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Saban has little man syndrome. He controls Bama and thinks he should control all of college football.

Don't be that guy. No he doesnt

Dirtbagdawg
03-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Don't be that guy. No he doesnt

1bigdawg
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I think the hurry up offense is bullshit, ......
It's not the way the game was meant to be played ...

Yea, and soon someone will want to implement a forward pass or even allow substituting different players on offense and defense. The rules have always been in flux. Just because you don't remember significant changes do not mean they have not happened.

On this rule: I would like to see the officials have time to get settled into position. That can be done with this rule or without it.

justwin
03-01-2014, 11:58 AM
His opening line in the story is that he doesn't have an opinion? That's bullshit. Hes the on advocating it so he doesn't have to have his DL fake injuries to stop the clock which they do.

If you want the game to be called fairly, how about we start with having an alabama ol called for holding once this decade? Or maybe review all questionable calls detrimental to bama instead of going forward immediately?

Who gives a dam if a team runs up tempo. And no, player safety has nothing to do with it

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/alabamas_nick_saban_offers_fir.html

ShotgunDawg
03-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't like the standard 10 second rule, but the officials do need to be in position and chains set before the offense can run a play.

This was a massive problem in the Egg Bowl, where weren't given credit for two turn overs because the refs weren't in position and the replay booth didn have time review the play.

Injuries are an excuse for Nick, but the officiating argument is legitimate and effects the integrity of the game. I am for any rule that helps fix that.

justwin
03-01-2014, 01:03 PM
I hear ya, but my point is that the official in the booth is already in position to stop play on questionable plays like the egg bowl turnovers. If I can see it on my tv, they can much easier. The limitations on reviewing plays are arbitrary and that's more my concern. All fumbled plays or questionable receptions or ints should be looked at. In reality, it's probably 10-12 a game and big market teams like bama get those reviews every time whereas most teams don't.

QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;142545]I don't like the standard 10 second rule, but the officials do need to be in position and chains set before the offense can run a play.

This was a massive problem in the Egg Bowl, where weren't given credit for two turn overs because the refs weren't in position and the replay booth didn have time review the play.

Injuries are an excuse for Nick, but the officiating argument is legitimate and effects the integrity of the game. I am for any rule that helps fix that.[/QUOTE]

Dawgface
03-01-2014, 01:22 PM
I think the hurry up offense is bullshit, although it has created some excitement. But still, it's bullshit.
It's not the way the game was meant to be played and it's like the teams who do it aren't man enough
I'm pretty much with you. But I doubt it can or should be deemed illegal. Not sure if the 10 sec rule is the answer or not, but there should be someway to allow the defenses to sub players. Maybe the 10 sec rule will help there. It will obviously have to be a quick sub.

smootness
03-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty much with you. But I doubt it can or should be deemed illegal. Not sure if the 10 sec rule is the answer or not, but there should be someway to allow the defenses to sub players. Maybe the 10 sec rule will help there. It will obviously have to be a quick sub.

This is pretty much my stance. People are overreacting to this rule proposal. It would in no way 'take the tempo out' of these offenses. The uber-up-tempo offenses rarely ever snap the ball before 10 seconds have run off the play clock, so you can still test the defense's conditioning and move quickly, etc., just like you can now.

What it would eliminate is the ability for the offense to run up to the line immediately and then stand around calling plays. When an offense does this, the defense has to get themselves ready because they have no idea when the snap is coming. So they can't substitute and they can't really call much in the way of plays. This isn't what I want football to be. I want both offense and defense to get themselves as ready as they can, call plays, and then try to outscheme and outplay each other...not to move too quickly for the other to get ready.

So by letting everyone know they have at least 10 seconds to do what they need to do, defenses can sub and make more complex calls...then after 10 seconds, the offense can still snap it whenever they want. It just allows the defense a little time to get themselves prepared to be in the best position to stop the offense.

Who wants to see teams racking up points like crazy just because the defense doesn't have time to adjust? It's not about conditioning, it's about the ability to prepare.

Similar to the way I don't want to see batters have to swing at a pitch machine that's throwing a pitch every 3 seconds, I don't like the fact that an offense can just run up to the line and cause the defense to have to scramble and then freeze.

War Machine Dawg
03-01-2014, 01:38 PM

This post is so full of FAIL, I don't even know where to begin. Just one point: Auburn was arguably the most physical offense in the nation last year. But because they use tempo, they "aren't man enough to put the ball down and play" according to you. Just.......WOW......and in the immortal word of Ron Simmons: DAMN!

Dawgowar
03-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I thought where he mentions Chip Kelly running 85 plays a game at Oregon and could only execute 65 plays a game at Philadelphia (due to the officials standing over the ball until the teams were set) is the best approach. Wanting the defense in place is not watering anything down. Every major rule change in the game benefits the damn offense. I am now told the safety lowering the boom on the receiver is a crime against humanity. If you lunge at a QB and he jerks like a spooked deer it is a penalty. Now, offenses can full throttle the game and **** letting the defense substitute. Why bother putting a defense out there? Why don't they put five DB's and no lineman in? Nobody gets hurt up front and the defense can play with oven mitts on. I like the evolution of the game but all three aspects of the game need to be balanced. If the DB's can't bring heat then extend the contact space from five to ten yards and see how they like running routes. With bubble screens they are nothing more than RB's some plays.

The game is getting unenjoyable. All levels. The fact I care about MSU is the draw for me now, I cringe during these reviews for targeting. Crap, when was the last time the NFL had a dominant - L.T., Reggie White, Randy White, Ronnie Lott, etc, game changing player?